The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons 10 - 16 Dragons Premiership XV - Lol

+11
Breadvan
youngguns6
Luckless Pedestrian
Stone Motif
Smirnoffpriest
ScarletSpiderman
dragon999
Casartelli
Morgannwg
munkian
Shifty
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Dragons 10 - 16 Dragons Premiership XV - Lol - Page 3 Empty Dragons 10 - 16 Dragons Premiership XV - Lol

Post by Shifty Tue 07 Aug 2012, 4:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well.... The Dragons brought a mix and match team of players from their Premiership clubs within their region and the hotch poch team managed to turn the region's team over at home. So well done to the lambs to the slaughter from Cross Keys, Newport and Bedwas, you did your clubs proud.

NEWPORT Gwent Dragons head coach Darren Edwards remains upbeat and praised his teams attitude and commitment. Thank god the professionals didn't win god knows what Edwards might of said! Doh

Dragons team: D Evans, T Prydie, P Leach, J Dixon, M Poole, S Jones, J Evans, A Coundley, H Gustafson, D Way, I Nimmo, A Coombs (capt), J Groves, D Waters, T Brown. Replacements all used: S Parry, N Williams, T Ryan, J Tyler, H Stoddart, I Jones, W Evans, L Robling, W Harries, A Tuilagi.

Dragons scorers: Try – Tom Brown, Conversion – Steffan Jones, Penalty – S Jones.

Gwent Select team: G O’Driscoll, K Baller, A Awcock, R Wardle, E Frewen, R Powell, R Downes, R Cornock, G Price, K Gaye, D Hodge, C Lodge, P Sargent, R Nash (capt), J Thomas. Replacements all used: R Hutchinson, A Lott, M Jones, K Maiden, C Attwell, A Powell, A Quick, D Gunter, A Davies, M John.

Gwent Select scorers: Try – Richard Powell, Conversion – R Powell, Penalties – R Powell.

Referee: Neil Hennessy (WRU)

Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Dragons 10 - 16 Dragons Premiership XV - Lol - Page 3 Empty Re: Dragons 10 - 16 Dragons Premiership XV - Lol

Post by munkian Thu 16 Aug 2012, 4:10 pm

Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Dragons 10 - 16 Dragons Premiership XV - Lol - Page 3 Empty Re: Dragons 10 - 16 Dragons Premiership XV - Lol

Post by Shifty Sat 18 Aug 2012, 7:17 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Are you really persisting in this wind up? Why start a thread if you aren't going to read what is written on it? No-one is shrugging their shoulders and if a scratch side of fringe Ospreys and those coming back from injury lost to a combined Swansea/Bridgend side, the best of whom are likely loaned out from the region anyway, no-one would bat an eyelid. Read my lips a DRAGONS B TEAM LOST TO A DRAGONS C TEAM BIG DEAL.

It's not a question of not reading the posts but I was more interesting in the opinions of posters whom I have known on here for a long time such as Risca, Luckless, Munkian, Griff. Obviously the Dragons have had a massive exodus of players since last season and to me the players who have come in seem to be worse than the ones who are playing semi pro rugby in the Premiership.

Time will tell I guess, it's not where you start it's where you finish. Judging by the Ospreys performance today I am beginning to wonder about us based on the first game. Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 18 Aug 2012, 8:24 pm

why do you think how a team performs in a friendly demonstrates that teams top performance (even if that team has out mostly a B team). Why do you think the Dragons A team won't be able to play better than their B team in a pre-season friendly warm up against their own squad/regional players?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:35 pm

Look, the trouble is people who want to put the boot into the Dragons will say it's bad that Dragons B didn't want it as much as Dragons C. Reality check, pro players v players wanting a contract, so obviously those trying to earn a crust will want it more. It's like the FA Cupppppp. You always get shocks in that, but it doesn't mean they're a better team.

Here's a fact to the sad acts who tried putting the boot in. Dragons beat an Aviva side yesterday, Ospreys lost to one, but nothing changes. Friendlies mean jack Shoite.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:18 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:why do you think how a team performs in a friendly demonstrates that teams top performance (even if that team has out mostly a B team). Why do you think the Dragons A team won't be able to play better than their B team in a pre-season friendly warm up against their own squad/regional players?

Because there is no gurantee that was a Dragon B team, Tovey, Charteris, Brew, Gavin Thomas, Burns and many other have left, so how exactly do you know who are your first choice players when most of the team is gone? Erm

Then add in the fact first team players are away with Wales a lot and very often you play squad players anyway, so hence your reserves become the back bone of your first team.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 19 Aug 2012, 1:03 am

U didnt answer my question why do u think the result of a pre-season warm up game (not really even friendly standard) is important to the teams success in the league?

While i agree a team is only as strong as its depth, and this result could show stronger depth with their 3rds doing well. Though i disagree as with training just having started for the senior squad and this being used as one of the starting phases of preseason, while theyd been working hard with sum of the C team, i cant really see much signifcance of the result.

Of course theyve lost lots of players and their new signings are still bedding in, but id say its fairly obvious that they will improve (like they apparently did in their last friendly) when theyve completed a full preseason and have a settled 1st and 2nd XV

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:43 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:U didnt answer my question why do u think the result of a pre-season warm up game (not really even friendly standard) is important to the teams success in the league?

While i agree a team is only as strong as its depth, and this result could show stronger depth with their 3rds doing well. Though i disagree as with training just having started for the senior squad and this being used as one of the starting phases of preseason, while theyd been working hard with sum of the C team, i cant really see much signifcance of the result.

Of course theyve lost lots of players and their new signings are still bedding in, but id say its fairly obvious that they will improve (like they apparently did in their last friendly) when theyve completed a full preseason and have a settled 1st and 2nd XV

Clearly it's not where you start the season but where you finish it, but the Dragons have lost no less than 18 players since last season, clearly a few have had to be brought in to replace the bodies yet of those that have been brought in how many have proven to be superior to a Premiership counterpart in a head to head game.

I'd of preferred to of seen Edwards given them a bollucking for that loss not praise! Tandy used the word disappointed a lot of times when he talked about the Ospreys defeat at Bath. I liked the style and passion Edwards brought to the Dragons at the start of last season but he seems to be a bit of a push over and too nice. How else would you explain the lack of fire and passion from Dragons performances towards the tail end of last season? Granted so many players leaving, retireing and being released did not help but still you'd think the Rodney Parade fans deserved better considering their the only ones who can actually generate an atmosphere at the regions.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:07 pm

Shifty wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:why do you think how a team performs in a friendly demonstrates that teams top performance (even if that team has out mostly a B team). Why do you think the Dragons A team won't be able to play better than their B team in a pre-season friendly warm up against their own squad/regional players?

Because there is no gurantee that was a Dragon B team, Tovey, Charteris, Brew, Gavin Thomas, Burns and many other have left, so how exactly do you know who are your first choice players when most of the team is gone? Erm

Then add in the fact first team players are away with Wales a lot and very often you play squad players anyway, so hence your reserves become the back bone of your first team.

Some absurd logic being applied there. So if a player (Steffan Jones, say, or Dan Evans, or Mike Poole, or Tim Ryan, or Darren Waters, or Pat Leach, or Jack Dixon, or Huw Gustafson, or Jevon Groves, or Sam Parry, etc etc) has spent the mahority of last season (or even his entire career) playing at semi-pro level, and due to injury/players leaving has to step up to the first team, he should never, ever lose against semi-pros ever, ever again ever just by virtue of stepping up a level? Fabulous news for the semi-pro clubs I guess, as by that logic these regional players must be unbeatable whenever they play in the Premiership...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3