The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics

+37
Hero
Galted
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
VTR
ryan86
ChequeredJersey
Hibbz
GSC
TopHat24/7
andyi
sportform
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Ent
dummy_half
teassoc
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
super_realist
John Cregan
bluestonevedder
Il Gialloblu
Lumbering_Jack
Jennifer1984
whocares
maestegmafia
ShahenshahG
djlovesyou
lorus59
mystiroakey
Biltong
Josiah Maiestas
Crimey
Thomond
eirebilly
Strawberry Jam
aucklandlaurie
Portnoy
41 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics - Page 12 Empty Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics

Post by Portnoy Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Swimming/Gymnatics - have too many medals on offer
Equestrian/Yachting/Shooting etc. require loads of dosh to just get on the first step (and I'll include the Pole vault in that)
And filthy rich sports like football, tennis, golf, rugby and basketball should never even have a sniff of Olympic participation - well, not the multimillionaires anyway. If the Olympics ain't the pinnacle of the sport, then they shouldn't be in.

Last edited by Portnoy on Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics - Page 12 Empty Re: Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:13 pm

Crimey i am not a hater- but we would be better off if we had our own version of macdonalds!- its that simple.

Whatever it spends in the uk- it doesnt put back what it takes, only a small amount of it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics - Page 12 Empty Re: Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Crimey i am not a hater- but we would be better off if we had our own version of macdonalds!- its that simple.

Whatever it spends in the uk- it doesnt put back what it takes, only a small amount of it.

Which British business put back everything that it makes then?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:30 pm

thats not really the concept jack. even if the owners (shareholders) just hoard the money in banks then its still part of our economy- which aids the banking industry, but usually they spend it within its economy anyway..

Business is business - but it makes money, no business gives everything back

The affect is on our FTSE as well- having a company like macdonalds on there would elevate our stockmarket, allow more trade and help retain our credit rating. Offcourse it doesnt do that here it does that for the states

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:thats not really the concept jack. even if the owners (shareholders) just hoard the money in banks then its still part of our economy- which aids the banking industry, but usually they spend it within its economy anyway..

Business is business - but it makes money, no business gives everything back

The affect is on our FTSE as well- having a company like macdonalds on there would elevate our stockmarket, allow more trade and help retain our credit rating. Offcourse it doesnt do that here it does that for the states

What if they use foreign banks, or offshore accounts. That doesnt help the economy does it?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

Correct but a company like that couldnt or shouldnt operate like that- They do pay there tax(well some if it!!!)- but then macdonalds whould try every trick in the trade as well..

But then you also have the whole head office here- you have the big jobs here. Having big corps also elevates your country political and commercially. We do very well in the high level engineering and pharma industries. But i think its time we strated looking at some other industries to export - because our banking sector could just bottom out!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:39 pm

supporting british business is an important concept jack. much more than many think- be that local or our own biggies!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:39 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Correct but a company like that couldnt or shouldnt operate like that- They do pay there tax(well some if it!!!)- but then macdonalds whould try every trick in the trade as well..

But then you also have the whole head office here- you have the big jobs here. Having big corps also elevates your country political and commercially. We do very well in the high level engineering and pharma industries. But i think its time we strated looking at some other industries to export - because our banking sector could just bottom out!!

So Mcdonalds only has burger flippers in the UK? Everyone else important works in America.

I'm learning so much today.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:43 pm

i think what your doing is missing the key points mate..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:45 pm

The only truely important fact is that mcdonlads decreases our GDP and British business increases our gdp. Thats all really

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:46 pm

mystiroakey wrote:i think what your doing is missing the key points mate..

Im not missing anything, you are. Mcdonalds has a UK head office and a large one at that. It also Franchises to British people which you have chosen to ignore. It also pumps millions into local communities and employs thousands of British staff with British products.

Big foreign business is essential to the economy, just as big business is in general.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:49 pm

mystiroakey wrote:The only truely important fact is that mcdonlads decreases our GDP and British business increases our gdp. Thats all really

Rubbish.

And you say you own your own business.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:50 pm

Ok lumbering explain how its rubbish then- BTW this is not a trick question. Its a very simple answer- but my answer is correct.

I await your reply. You clearly have alot of reading to do..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:56 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Ok lumbering explain how its rubbish then- BTW this is not a trick question. Its a very simple answer- but my answer is correct.

I await your reply. You clearly have alot of reading to do..

Because a business being foreign does not reduce GDP as you seem to suggest.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:58 pm

lol. do you know what GDP is,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:58 pm

Go on mate get on google!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:59 pm

Imports reduce GDP, but McDonalds isn't just an import, it spends money in the UK.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:06 pm

I dont need google thanks. I dont profess to be a leading economist, however I am savvy enough know that a company simply being foreign does not reduce GDP. You are ignoring a very import fact which Crimey has kindly pointed out.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:08 pm

Mcdonalds isnt actually an import in the theoritical sense- it just takes some of the money spent on these shores to another country.. That reduces the amount of money britian would have within its economy than if the the business was british owned.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:09 pm

crimey agreed that it reduced the gdp jack. I think its you that is ignoring it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:16 pm

mystiroakey wrote:crimey agreed that it reduced the gdp jack. I think its you that is ignoring it

No, he didn't. He specified that imports reduced GDP. Mcdonalds is not an import and you are ingoring hte fact the have a huge British operation, using British products and employees, as well and franchising a number of restaurants to British owners. But if you still think they reduce GDP then I can't help you any further.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:19 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Mcdonalds isnt actually an import in the theoritical sense- it just takes some of the money spent on these shores to another country.. That reduces the amount of money britian would have within its economy than if the the business was british owned.

But that's working on the hypothetical theory that if McDonalds wasn't there, it would be replaced by a similar British business....you said yourself, that if McDonalds wasn't there, we wouldn't want it, there wouldn't be a similar British replacement.

It only reduces GDP if the hypothetical situation of a British counterpart was there in McDonalds' place, it wouldn't happen and therefore it doesn't reduce GDP.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:26 pm

Lumbering good luck mate..I explained that it wasnt an import in the traditional sense- I take it your getting flustered

GDP is the gross domestic product of a country. In its simplest form its about how much money is in the economy.

If money is taken away it is reduced, if money is brought in it is increased. Its that simple.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:29 pm

I'm not flustered. I think you realised your argument is wrong and rather than just admitting you are wrong you are being persistant is giving out the incorrect message.

I've been in your position before, better to just admit you are wrong than making yourself look silly in the face a blatant evidence.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:29 pm

Conveniently ignored my post as well....

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:30 pm

Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Mcdonalds isnt actually an import in the theoritical sense- it just takes some of the money spent on these shores to another country.. That reduces the amount of money britian would have within its economy than if the the business was british owned.

But that's working on the hypothetical theory that if McDonalds wasn't there, it would be replaced by a similar British business....you said yourself, that if McDonalds wasn't there, we wouldn't want it, there wouldn't be a similar British replacement.

It only reduces GDP if the hypothetical situation of a British counterpart was there in McDonalds' place, it wouldn't happen and therefore it doesn't reduce GDP.

The money in our ecomony is still decreased if money leaves the shores, unless you can proove that mcdonlads spends more in the uk than it takes!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:32 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:I'm not flustered. I think you realised your argument is wrong and rather than just admitting you are wrong you are being persistant is giving out the incorrect message.

I've been in your position before, better to just admit you are wrong than making yourself look silly in the face a blatant evidence.

You are the one thats wrong mate. And you need to admit it

You need to prove to me that macdonalds puts more money into britian than it takes.. then you win the argument- But we all know businesses dont work like that.

Btw i dont want some argument mate its all good. But i cant shift and admit i am wrong when i am not

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:39 pm

Macdonalds dosent bring money in from abroad it only takes from the money that is allready here.. Maybe this is a tough concept to understand - but its quite clear cut in truth.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

Foreign business is important though, allowing companies such as McDonalds to trade in our country means we can export to others.

While in isolation, McDonalds is bad for the economy, in the overall scheme of things it's better.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:46 pm

Thats a good point. perfectly good argument

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:46 pm

Genuinely, how did this thread get onto McDonalds?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:50 pm

lol this thread has gone around the houses - unbelivable- you can blame me

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

Crimey wrote:Foreign business is important though, allowing companies such as McDonalds to trade in our country means we can export to others.

While in isolation, McDonalds is bad for the economy, in the overall scheme of things it's better.

Plus McDonald's and other non-British fast food chains are operating in a food market that doesn't really include that many British competitors anyway- People who want KFC/Maccie D style fast food are not going to go to a restaurant or local coffee shop or pub or one of these affected businesses at the point they choose to get a quick burger anyway. McDonald's is great for hangovers, would be awful if it weren't here Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

well macdonalds have bought half of pret!! one of my fav sandwich shops and openened them up in the US. not sure how i feel about that one!

I kinda wish they just went out there on there own. But you know what macdonalds do clearly know what they are doing in terms of business

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

They bought that in 2001, and sold it in 2008 mysti.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:57 pm

oh did they! jeas time flies doesnt it- who bought it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 9:58 pm

Some random company, I've never heard of them.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12