The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics

+37
Hero
Galted
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
VTR
ryan86
ChequeredJersey
Hibbz
GSC
TopHat24/7
andyi
sportform
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Ent
dummy_half
teassoc
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
super_realist
John Cregan
bluestonevedder
Il Gialloblu
Lumbering_Jack
Jennifer1984
whocares
maestegmafia
ShahenshahG
djlovesyou
lorus59
mystiroakey
Biltong
Josiah Maiestas
Crimey
Thomond
eirebilly
Strawberry Jam
aucklandlaurie
Portnoy
41 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics - Page 11 Empty Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics

Post by Portnoy Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Swimming/Gymnatics - have too many medals on offer
Equestrian/Yachting/Shooting etc. require loads of dosh to just get on the first step (and I'll include the Pole vault in that)
And filthy rich sports like football, tennis, golf, rugby and basketball should never even have a sniff of Olympic participation - well, not the multimillionaires anyway. If the Olympics ain't the pinnacle of the sport, then they shouldn't be in.

Last edited by Portnoy on Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics - Page 11 Empty Re: Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:42 pm

McDonalds is not the problem. Stupid people who eat more than they need to is the problem.

Most people can eat McDonalds without becoming obese.

I also don't think there is any advantage to having local businesses, in general they employ less people and will likely earn less money to reinvest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics - Page 11 Empty Re: Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:43 pm

mystiroakey wrote:The problem wiuth macy d's is that it doesnt fill you up!

The other problem is the amount of e numbers in them. It doesnt just cause weight issues?

You can be more healthy yet slightyly more overweight than the next person it you have a better balanced diet..

McDonalds does not force you to eat too much, people choose to eat too much. Having a McDonalds once a month would have pretty much no effect on your health as long as you don't eat too much.

In the same way if you eat too much Fish and Chips you will be unhealthy.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:47 pm

Nothing wrong with eating a maccies a month- nothing at all! However there is a link with obesity and the availability of junk food.

On the local business front. Offcourse there are benefits. I could list them all day. But since you are concentrating(incorrectly) on reinvestment. Where do macdoanlds profits go- Who's economy? Not Britians. So dont talk about reinvestment.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:48 pm

I am sure that McDonalds will put a lot back into Britain, just because they are based in America does not mean that they don't reinvest money back into Britain.

Tell me advantages of having local businesses.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

McDonalds have to pay a ton of taxes to our government.

A lot more than the equivalent number of local businesses I suspect
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

Crimey you have missed the point completely- Maccie d's makes billions out of britain and all them profits go home to the states.. I think you need to concentrate on this fact before we move on to other things. Because that is clearly very important. buying british is of high importance to our economy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:52 pm

The 2 McDonalds in the olympic park have made a killing the past week or so.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:52 pm

McDonalds have to pay a ton of taxes to our government.

Exactly, there will be a lot more pressure on a giant company like McDonalds to give something back to the communities that they are present in than a local fish and chip shop.

Last edited by Crimey on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:53 pm

GSC wrote:McDonalds have to pay a ton of taxes to our government.

ermm. Yes offcourse they pat tax. But they dont put into the economy- all the money spent on macdonalds would be spent elsewhere creating exatctly the same tax benefit. But the profits will stay here and stimulate our economy but not americas

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:53 pm

So what if the profits go back to the states, they go to McDonalds and their shareholders, not the US government.

And I assure you a significant slice of those profits stay here
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:53 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Crimey you have missed the point completely- Maccie d's makes billions out of britain and all them profits go home to the states.. I think you need to concentrate on this fact before we move on to other things. Because that is clearly very important. buying british is of high importance to our economy

Of course all the profits don't go straight back to the states, their business wouldn't grow if they didn't reinvest the money.

Once again, you have resorted to circular arguments without any reasoning....why is it important to "buy British" and have local businesses?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

The shareholders spend there money in the states? because there are american shareholders based there! this is not rocket science mate

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:55 pm

At least McDonalds isnt elitist, its the peoples restaurant. Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics - Page 11 3559488474

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:56 pm

Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Crimey you have missed the point completely- Maccie d's makes billions out of britain and all them profits go home to the states.. I think you need to concentrate on this fact before we move on to other things. Because that is clearly very important. buying british is of high importance to our economy

Of course all the profits don't go straight back to the states, their business wouldn't grow if they didn't reinvest the money.

Once again, you have resorted to circular arguments without any reasoning....why is it important to "buy British" and have local businesses?

It stimulates our economy- this is so basic, its kinda unbelivable having this discussion in all honesty- Its the fundementals of gdp

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:56 pm

Because we have home grown resources that have been invested in (eg farms) and buying British makes money out of these rather than wasting it?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:56 pm

Myst if you think thats true then picard

Not all will be American, not all will spend it in America, and profits will also go to various charities and making the franchise grow
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:57 pm

How is McDonalds relevant to sport here?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:57 pm

I'd also like to point out that McDonalds in the UK buys most of their core ingredients British.

So by buying McDonalds, you are in fact buying British.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:58 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Because we have home grown resources that have been invested in (eg farms) and buying British makes money out of these rather than wasting it?

The 2 Maccy Ds at the olympic park made a big point out of showing off that the meat was British.

Not to mention most farms etc have a supplier already agreed
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:59 pm

Crimey wrote:I'd also like to point out that McDonalds in the UK buys most of their core ingredients British.

oh dear - you are misising the entire point mate. The profits go home.. how hard is this to work out.

And you wonder why i think there is a problem with education!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:00 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Crimey wrote:I'd also like to point out that McDonalds in the UK buys most of their core ingredients British.

oh dear - you are misising the entire point mate. The profits go home.. how hard is this to work out.

Because you can't spell or use correct grammar?

The business would not grow if all their profits went home, they have to reinvest the profits back into the UK otherwise the business just doesn't grow. They would only be big in the US. I think you just don't like McDonalds so don't want to admit that perhaps they aren't a big evil American corporation.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:00 pm

GSC wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Because we have home grown resources that have been invested in (eg farms) and buying British makes money out of these rather than wasting it?

The 2 Maccy Ds at the olympic park made a big point out of showing off that the meat was British.

Why would it buy its meat anywhere else? You lads have been hooked lined and sunk thats all i can say.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:01 pm

Thats because your point is basically wrong.

Yes they may choose to spend money elsewhere. Yes a british business might spend more money at home.

However its frankly irrelevant because local businesses don't come close to making up the tax bill McDonalds pays every year.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:02 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
GSC wrote:

Why would it buy its meat anywhere else? You lads have been hooked lined and sunk thats all i can say.

McDonalds is buying British, buying a lot more British produce than your local Chippie as well!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:03 pm

Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

The business would not grow if all their profits went home, they have to reinvest the profits back into the UK otherwise the business just doesn't grow. They would only be big in the US. I think you just don't like McDonalds so don't want to admit that perhaps they aren't a big evil American corporation.

You clearly dont understand how business or gdp works. All business want to grow- you think by buying another plot up in the UK it is giving its profits back to britain. No whats its doing is establishing more square footage and more future profits!

fair play to them from a business point of view that all i can say

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:04 pm

Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
GSC wrote:

McDonalds is buying British, buying a lot more British produce than your local Chippie as well!

they have done a right job on you havent they Sports which are just too posh, rich and over-represented at the Olympics - Page 11 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:05 pm

And more taxes, and more british produce they can buy.

McDonalds is far better for our economy than if we replaced all of them with british businesses (even if we ignore the fact that british businesses dont always buy British)
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:07 pm

No mysti, I just think you've got an agenda against McDonalds (like much of the world) if I worked for them or not I would still be making this same argument.

If you took away all the McDonalds from the UK the effect on the economy would be much bigger than the effect of removing all the local fast foods.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:10 pm

I went to MacDonalds once last year so I really can't be accused of bias.

Anyway we've reached the point where Myst begins to try and talk down instead of answering the point so I'll take my bow here.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:14 pm

GSC do you understand how cripling mutinationals are(i include tesco in this as well) on our farming industry?

You do realise all of our produce would be sold anyway?

Mcdonalds is not good on our economy- It provides us with something people want and the profits go back to the USA.. thats it end of story.
If we didnt have mcdonalds no one would want it!

the only argument you have(because tax is immaterial - it would all be spent elsewhere anyway and tax paid on that) Is that it provides jobs.

You do realise they only provide low skilled labour- This country has to import low skilled labour by the 100'000's each year.

Maccie d's Buying british is immaterial as well, the british farms would just sell more to different clients at a higher rate

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:19 pm

Its not unreasonable to be suspicious of a company thats run by a clown

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 10 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

Can we also change this debate to "sports that are just too ridiculous"

Horses dancing to Phil Collins was stupid, but synchronised swimming really is a joke.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri 10 Aug 2012, 6:05 pm

The only worldwide sport that was fully represented at the Olympics was tennis and GB won that too :bow

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 6:06 pm

i think running is a worldwide sport dude!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Fri 10 Aug 2012, 6:33 pm

I fancy a macdonalds now!

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:11 pm

I think crimey does a good deal on happy meals. get yourself down there

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:19 pm

mystiroakey wrote:

And all the shareholder are American and spend all said money in America.

Mcdonalds invest millions in local community projects, something my local takeaway owner doesnt do.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:23 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

You clearly dont understand how business or gdp works. All business want to grow- you think by buying another plot up in the UK it is giving its profits back to britain. No whats its doing is establishing more square footage and more future profits!

Id argue you are the one who doesnt understand what is basic economics.

How does Mcdonalds expand. Where does it buy materials from? WHo builds it? Who is employed by them? Who then spends money they have earning working directly or indirectly for Mcdonalds?

Big business is exactly what the UK needs. All leading economists basically say as much.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:26 pm

no but add the 1 million take away owners together and what do you get. You would be surprised the power of alot of small business. What they also do is also aid local business and tradesmen.. Macdonalds would use big multinational contractors and maintance crews, not local trade.. Anything mcdonalds gives in charities isnt worth all the profits going to another country.. Its just a net cost which is also tax deductable, which means less money goes to the govenment in tax. It does these things for PR reasons , due to bad press it gets from 'junk food', liable cases after the next ,and the IRA.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:34 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Id argue you are the one who doesnt understand what is basic economics.

How does Mcdonalds expand. Where does it buy materials from? WHo builds it? Who is employed by them? Who then spends money they have earning working directly or indirectly for Mcdonalds?

Big business is exactly what the UK needs. All leading economists basically say as much.

What do you mean- how does mcdonalds expand?

They buy another site and build another fast food restuarnt. its simple!

Nope its you that doesnt get it. Nothing wrong with big business at all- But to say that a forign company that is only suplies to the country itself(no exporting) is aiding the uks economy is a massive fail. The profits go back to the US.. What you seem to forget is the opportiunity cost. Something everyone has forgotten. If macdonalds wasnt here - it needs a replacment..

Its not like a car factory that provides jobs and then exports cars. Macdonalds is the import itself. It has to use local suppliers and staff - but any british alternative has to as well! If people just naturally didnt go to these restaurants as miuch they would have to pick up the extra food from supermarkets instead- The money is still there and still being spent.

You have to understand the difference with a company coming to the uk providing a service we allready can do(food) - suppling only to the countries population- than a big business coming to this country and providing jobs whoes jobs can be anywhere else..(call centres, factories, banks,etc)

Last edited by mystiroakey on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:35 pm

Why it does it is irrelevant, it still does more than the local takeaways.

I'm employed by McDonalds, they spend their profits on paying my wages.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:36 pm

Crimey wrote:Why it does it is irrelevant, it still does more than the local takeaways.

no they dont crimey- your wage is a cost- that is subtracted of the revenue before the profit figure

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:37 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Crimey wrote:Why it does it is irrelevant, it still does more than the local takeaways.

no they dont crimey- your wage is a cost- that is subtracted of the revenue before the profit figure

It's just the same though, it doesn't make a difference whether you take it off before or after it equates to the same thing.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:43 pm

it has to pay its staff mate.. its just the way it is- or them burgers cant be made

Tesco going abroad is better for us than the countries it goes to. Just the same as macdonalds to the usa.

Its not a massive evil conspircay its part of the western world. But it would be better for us if we had our macdonalds- like france has there quick, etc

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:43 pm

Also MacDonalds employees then pay tax on their earnings.

For someone whose been told hes wrong by quite a few people, you do seem to be persisting with his hate crusade.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:48 pm

No hate crusdae at all. I am not wrong, this is actually very basic economics. We need to start becoming more self sufficent. But then I do own my own business, I do employ people and i have worked in the industry- I am also a qualified accoutant. Not everyone can understand the difference between a company coming to these shores giving us extra money-adding to the gdp) than one that comes in and only sells to the population then pays the wages only out of the money it takes- yet takes the surplus home!

macdonalds does not increase our GDP- infact it decreases it, but an audi factory would increase our gdp. Its very simplistic economics

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:01 pm

It is a frankly ridiculous argument to sugges that if Mcdonalds wasnt here the money would get spent anyway.

And as for all this local business nonsense you are coming out with, well the big evil corporations still employ hundreds (thousands) of staff who will all pump money into the local economy.

Mcdonalds does more for the economy than the equivilent number of local businesses. THat much cannot be argued.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:03 pm

you have to think about the process.

macdonalds comes over- it opens a restaurant. It sells it products to uk residents or tourists only- these people do not live in the uk or visit the uk to visit a macdonalds. It makes a profit and it reinvests some by building another and it takes the rest home, and on and on and on. It does not bring any money to the uk- it oinly utilses the money we have in this country and takes the extra money home.as long as it makes a profit off course- which it does! If it made a loss it would actually boost our economy as long as all its suppliers were uk based!- which is a random concept because if it did run a loss it would just shut up operations- unless of course it wants worldwide recognition and just has flagship stores- which isnt the case in such cheap retail anyway!

An Audi factory comes to this country - employs aload of people but is selling its cars europe or wolrdwide- it pays its wages from a multinational position -It doesnt only take money off the UK market.

Countries have to export and if you dont you need a self sustining economy which is almost impossible today aanyway

Tesco going abroad opening up outlets is as good for us as macdonalds is for the USA here. it brings extra money back and increases our GDP. unless offcourse it runs a massive loss in that country and then it doesnt

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:04 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:It is a frankly ridiculous argument to sugges that if Mcdonalds wasnt here the money would get spent anyway.

And as for all this local business nonsense you are coming out with, well the big evil corporations still employ hundreds (thousands) of staff who will all pump money into the local economy.

Mcdonalds does more for the economy than the equivilent number of local businesses. THat much cannot be argued.
so would we all save this money then? where would this money go- would we all just be in less debt.,

Where does this extra money come from Jack?

there is no extra money going into our economy- think about the process.. Macdonalds in the uk only takes money from uk resdients or tourists! it doesnt bring extra money from the states!

Businesses are not charities, they are here to make money!

It isnt a mint- it cant just print extra money and give to us all!- it has to take it off us first!

Last edited by mystiroakey on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:10 pm

That would work as a concept if McDonalds didn't spend their money in the UK, which they do, not just on new restaurants. They spend lots of money on local communities, including something that you love....on sports development!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next