The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golovkin v Proksa

+7
TheMackemMawler
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Boxtthis
BallchinianMuffwig
BoxingFan88
AlexHuckerby
John Bloody Wayne
11 posters

Go down

Golovkin v Proksa Empty Golovkin v Proksa

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:21 pm

This might have already been posted, but if it was I didn't notice.

Anyway, the guy who I'd pick as the best middleweight around today was set to face Dimitry Pirog. That was a great fight in the making if you ask me, between two underrated fighters.

Now Pirog's had to pull out with an injury so it's Golovkin v Proksa instead. Proksa avenged his only to defeat by TKO over Kerry Hope last time out and Golovkin's been heavy handedly knocking opponents around for a while. Combine that power with his fundamental boxing skills and you've got a seriously good fighter. He last went the distance over 8 rounds in 2008. Lajuan Simon, who went 12 rounds with Arthur Abraham, was sparked out in a round by Gennady. There have also been stories of him beating up Canelo, Chavez Jr, Angulo and Peter Quillin in sparring.

Proksa I haven't seen as much of, but having dropped a decision to Kerry Hope is he really much of a threat to Golovkin?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Golovkin v Proksa Empty Re: Golovkin v Proksa

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Ooft, thats an interesting one.

Don't under rate Proska, he's a VERY live opponent. His decision he dropped to Hope was a fight in which everything seemed to go wrong, gassed early and totally underestimated his opponent.

Don't forget just how many people were hyping Proska up before that loss, however from what I've seen from Golovkin, he's a wrecking ball of destruction in this MW Division right now. Can't justify having him as the number 1 in the Division just yet, Martinez has to take that accolade as Pavlik alone is better than anything on Golovkins record, however if you're thinking talent wise, he just may be.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:33 am

Can't see past Golovkin in this one, he has some serious skills and even better power. Proska is too open and will get knocked out in this one.

I don't know who would win out of Golovkin and Martinez, Golovkin is a beast at middleweight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:36 am

I think Golovkin will beat the classy but wide open at times Proksa. However I think Pirog had a chance of beating Golovkin and Martinez. Proksa should have chased a fight with Darren Barker instead but I guess if he wins this one that will propel him further. Looking forward to it regardless!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:05 pm

I don't rank Golovkin above Martinez, I agree Marvilla's the middleweight champion. I mean in terms of ability I'd favour Golovkin over any of them. Although I get the feeling the key to beating him might be staying the hell away from him, which Sergio could do.

Anyone know if boxnation are showing this?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:49 pm

I think Golovkin has good potential, don't rate him as high as some, Kassim Ouma made him look rather average and hittable, would also note that Ouma has the closest style to Martinez than anyone he's fought thus far.

He will be a world champ though, I think a fight between him and JCC Jr. would be fascinating. Both are bullish at times, Golovkin with the better skills and punch power, similar speed, but Chavez's strange weight, chin and body punches make it close to call for me with the mesh of styles.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:46 pm

I think Proksa is a tough opponent. Barring his hiccup with Hope, I've been impressed by him. But, I think Golovkin is the real deal.

Then again, I thought Sillakh was the real deal. Prospects can have all the technique and power in the world, but there's a certain toughness and awareness under pressure that the top guys have - we'll need to see if Golovkin has that.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:00 pm

If Chavez can walk through Golovkin's shots like he does everyone else then he's either on something or the new Lamotta.

If I remember correctly Golovkin was under pressure and not winning when he pulled out the KO over Bute in the amateurs.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:38 pm

Golovkin is seriously talented and while he may not be good enough to beat Martinez (no shame in that) he could very easily be #2 at middleweight

He has a good skill set, heavy hands, good ring IQ and decent defence. A fight between him and Chavez would be fun but I feel Golovkin can box and brawl whereas Chavez seems to be more limited.

Proska will ask alot of questions as he is very unorthodox and will be hard to figure out style wise

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:39 pm

His amateur record has some good names on it: Lucian Bute, Andy Lee, Yordanis Despaigne, Andre Dirrell.

Very excited to see Golovkin face top opposition in the professional ranks. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him than we did of Pirog.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:02 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Golovkin is seriously talented and while he may not be good enough to beat Martinez (no shame in that) he could very easily be #2 at middleweight

He has a good skill set, heavy hands, good ring IQ and decent defence. A fight between him and Chavez would be fun but I feel Golovkin can box and brawl whereas Chavez seems to be more limited.

Proska will ask alot of questions as he is very unorthodox and will be hard to figure out style wise

Can you give a bit more detail...

A good skill set...which skills are his best and how could he improve?

A Good ring IQ....how? Can you explain or give at least give some specific examples?

A decent defence.....why is his defence only decent?

Cheers
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:22 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Golovkin is seriously talented and while he may not be good enough to beat Martinez (no shame in that) he could very easily be #2 at middleweight

Can you give a bit more detail...

A good skill set...which skills are his best and how could he improve?

A Good ring IQ....how? Can you explain or give at least give some specific examples?

A decent defence.....why is his defence only decent?

Cheers

Good skill set; he has good technique and a pretty wide punch variety. He has a short but strong jab which he uses to get on the inside. Throws great straight punches for someone who is considered a pressure fighter. He uses the basics very well but can be a little lazy waiting for openings

Good ring IQ; off the back of a strong pro career you can see that he knows what he's doing in the ring. Doesn't rush in or get caught with silly shots and vs the last guy he fought he was super unorthodox but Golovkin walked him to the ropes easily and timed him with counter power punches working the body to slow him down while remaining out of range

Decent defence; he is a come forward fighter, most of which have a high guard and block with their face and fans say "they are wait ing to be outboxed" or "one dimensional". He is neither and although no floyd he is no rios/chavez/katsidis either

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Cheers WHU
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:54 pm

golovkin should win this one pretty easily. its a massive step up for proksa, having just struggled with kerry hope.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:12 pm

They could fight naked on the m6........with cars flying past them at 100 mph with Meg Ryan refereeing in black leather.......

and I still wouldn't give a crap who wins!!!

However ...I'm going for the boring. faceless European in ten rounds!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:08 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:They could fight naked on the m6........with cars flying past them at 100 mph with Meg Ryan refereeing in black leather.......

Yeah, Meg is getting on a bit ...

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:50 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:They could fight naked on the m6........with cars flying past them at 100 mph with Meg Ryan refereeing in black leather.......

So what you're telling us is you've never seen them fight and know nothing about them. That goes without saying.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:08 pm

They could fight naked on the m6........with cars flying past them at 100 mph with Meg Ryan refereeing in black leather.......

Your dreams must be like a Cronenberg movie, T-Bone.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down