The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves vs Anderson II - Off............again

+2
eddyfightfan
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
6 posters

Go down

Groves vs Anderson II - Off............again Empty Groves vs Anderson II - Off............again

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 02 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm

Yo,

Heads up.

Its off again.

The first thing I thought of when I saw super middleweight contender George Groves of England suffer a really nasty cut over his right eye in his fight against Francisco Sierra last Saturday was that there was no chance he would be able to go forward with another fight he had already scheduled.

Sure enough, the cut caused Groves, the British and Commonwealth champion, to withdraw on Thursday from a Sept. 14 title defense against Lenny Anderson.

Although Groves (15-0, 12 KOs) stopped Seirra in the sixth round of an exciting fight, Groves' eye got busted open in the third round of the Showtime Extreme-televised bout on the Robert Guerrero-Selcuk Aydin undercard. Besides gaining American exposure, Groves was also using the fight as a tuneup for his rematch with Anderson.

The fight was supposed to headline promoter Frank Warren's show at Wembley Arena. But because of Groves' withdrawal, Warren announced that the show would move to the smaller York Hall in London. Other than Groves' departure, the card will remain intact. Moving up from the undercard to top the bill, as they say in England, will be 2008 British Olympian Billy Joe Saunders (14-0, 9 KOs), who will make the second defense of his Commonwealth middleweight title against Jarrod Fletcher (12-0, 7 KOs) of Australia.

Warren also announced that tickets that already have been purchased for Wembley Arena can be exchanged for the new venue.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/1593/cut-forces-groves-to-withdraw

Lenny Anderson!? Ain't that the col....bla....sorry, I dont want to offend the black panther Az. The Anglo-Caribbian from the Premier Inn adverts?? Sorry thats Lenny Henry.

Anyway, this match is silly now, pointless. Groves should just leave Anderson where he belongs at domestic level. He has bigger fish to fry.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Groves vs Anderson II - Off............again Empty Re: Groves vs Anderson II - Off............again

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 02 Aug 2012, 6:36 pm

seems to be made off brittle stuff our grovesy

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Groves vs Anderson II - Off............again Empty Re: Groves vs Anderson II - Off............again

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2012, 6:40 pm

Think Groves is vying for Calzaghe's "I cancelled more fights than I competed in due to injury" crown.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 02 Aug 2012, 6:48 pm

i'd go for degale again and the euro title. i think he beats him easy now than he did before, and it would still sell.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2012, 6:52 pm

Don't think DeGale has done anything to warrant another shot at Groves....'cept whinge...and we've already established via David Haye that whinging shouldn't automatically guarantee you a rematch.

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 02 Aug 2012, 6:52 pm

'Lenny' Anderson needs to move on.
Groves is already bigger and better and frankly doesn't deserve a shot.

move on and earn it.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 02 Aug 2012, 7:10 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Don't think DeGale has done anything to warrant another shot at Groves....'cept whinge...and we've already established via David Haye that whinging shouldn't automatically guarantee you a rematch.

he won his last one by 4th round TKO, and beat wilczenki for the european title. and the closeness of the fight warrented a rematch anyway.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Groves vs Anderson II - Off............again Empty Groves

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2012, 7:13 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Don't think DeGale has done anything to warrant another shot at Groves....'cept whinge...and we've already established via David Haye that whinging shouldn't automatically guarantee you a rematch.

he won his last one by 4th round TKO, and beat wilczenki for the european title. and the closeness of the fight warrented a rematch anyway.

Chunky's shown nothing to suggest the rematch would have been any different, he's made no improvements or adjustments to his game. Groves appears to be the one heading in the right direction. DeGale's bubble has been burst and if they fight again, I think Groves hands out a career ending spanking.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 02 Aug 2012, 7:18 pm

i agree that groves beats him easly next time, but its a better fight than anderson II and puts the nail truley in the coffin with regards to chunky.

i also think groves won closely but clearly last time out but theres alot of people who say otherwise, his own promoter for one. make it happen, im sure degale wants it.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2012, 7:24 pm

Groves/Anderson II proves about as much as Khan/Prescott II. Lots of people want to see it as it closes a chapter but actually makes no sense. It'd be like Haye dragging Thompson out of retirement. Their careers went in different directions and have never looked likely to cross paths again.

Groves/Anderson II is a backward step. Groves mixed it with the likes of Andre Dirrell in the run-up to the fight with DeGale and apparently held his own with ease.

This injury could be a real bonus as I believe dealing with Anderson only stalls Grobves career which is already being hampered by injury.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 02 Aug 2012, 8:09 pm

yeah but degale and groves are on the same path, there both aiming for a world title. if they both keep winning the rematch is inevitable, groves should be aiming for the euro title despite degale holding it.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:15 pm

degales two victories since the groves fight are much more impressive than groves two!!! plus many people, myself and groves promoter included thought that degale won the first fight. now degales is not a worthy opponent?? give me a break. total nonesense gets spouted about groves and degale on here. groves got lucky and he knows it, dont expect him to go near degale anytime soon. degale would take the fight tomorrow, but groves would rather rematch a guy he stopped in 4 than rematch a guy he beat on a MD by 1 point? says it al really.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:35 am

Lance wrote:degales two victories since the groves fight are much more impressive than groves two!!! plus many people, myself and groves promoter included thought that degale won the first fight. now degales is not a worthy opponent?? give me a break. total nonesense gets spouted about groves and degale on here. groves got lucky and he knows it, dont expect him to go near degale anytime soon. degale would take the fight tomorrow, but groves would rather rematch a guy he stopped in 4 than rematch a guy he beat on a MD by 1 point? says it al really.

Degales two victories are a MD and a 4th round TKO. The majority decision could easily have gone either way and he was expected to deal with the guy easily. Groves destroyed Paul Smith in two rounds, not many people have done that, and then stopped a tough, big hitting Mexican. Not sure how you can say Degales wins are much more impressive personally.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:00 am

Aye, Degale was less than impressive when he went abroad...hence me saying he seems to have stagnated whereas Groves appears to have improved.

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:00 am

Lance wrote: plus many people, myself and groves promoter included thought that degale won the first fight.

Very misleading comment that. It would be interesting to see what old Franks views of the fight are now, seeing as he has had a falling out with Degale and Groves is now in his stable.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:16 am

There are a few other words alma, but the swear filter would pick them up...

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down