The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Groves v Anderson. Potential banana skin?

+8
johnson2
KingMonkey
TopHat24/7
John Bloody Wayne
OasisBFC
AlexHuckerby
hampo17
Seanusarrilius
12 posters

Go down

Groves v Anderson. Potential banana skin? Empty Groves v Anderson. Potential banana skin?

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 24 Jan - 13:41

Ok,

So we all know this is going to be a fiery rematch. Anderson v Groves 1 was a great little scrap and Groves was lucky to get out with the win. Now for the rematch, I for one can't wait. I see Anderson as a rugged fighter who cetainly won't be able to outbox Groves. But Groves is still vulnerable defensively as he proved in round 1 v Smith, who rocked him.

Anderson will no doubt come forward like a Bull and look to KO Groves.

How much of a risk is this fight?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Groves v Anderson. Potential banana skin? Empty Re: Groves v Anderson. Potential banana skin?

Post by hampo17 Tue 24 Jan - 13:48

I don't think it's as dangerous as the first time. That fight taught Groves alot imo, he engaged with a slugger and got put down and was nearly out.

Against Degale and Smith when he got caught he kept his cool, didn't try to fight with fire with fire, against Smith he boxed well for all but 10 seconds when he got caught right at the end of the first. Groves will stop him again imo.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Groves v Anderson. Potential banana skin? Empty Re: Groves v Anderson. Potential banana skin?

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 24 Jan - 13:50

Don't see Groves as vulnerable in defense...

He was caught by Smith in the first round, but I just think it's boxing and these things happen and I won't be looking into it too much.

He beats him a little more comfortably this time, but it's a really good matchup, great to see Groves being matched hard again, what is this 5 good fights in a row? I'm liking it.

It is a potential banana skin, and that's wy it's a good fight, naturally Groves is favourite for the win, but I reckon he should be able to get the win a little more comfortably but if Anderson is able to drag him into a slugmatch again then, hell, you never know!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 24 Jan - 14:00

i see groves closing the show within 6.
the first fight was interesting to watch, but i think both fighters have improved.

i think booth has more time to come up with a gameplan this time. the last was a bit of a rushed job for both fighters.

to see him dispatch smith the way he did, you have to fancy groves.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 24 Jan - 14:14

Groves stock is high, and rightly so, but i see him as vunerable to fighters who gun at him. Sadly for Anderson, i see Groves developing power, general improvements and increased confidence as being too much for him. Groves is still so young so no rush with him, Anderson will be dangerous int he first 3

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 24 Jan - 14:57

If the shot that caught Groves at the end of the first round against Smith was thrown by Anderson I think he'd have been decked, he really is a live underdog in the first half of the fight but Groves has only improved. Body shots will turn it in his favour.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jan - 15:23

The best thing about the Smith shot that rocked Groves (slightly) was Groves' reaction. He was so so annoyed with himself. He knows he only got clipped because the final 10-secs klaxon had gone and the round was basically over. He was furious at letting his guard down and getting sloppy, even for the 1 final second out of 180, and, as he seems to be good at sticking to a game plan and learning from his mistakes, I think he will put in a much improved performance and get Anderson out of there in the mid rounds.

As others have said this is definitely a live, if under-dog, opponent and Groves is being matched well so far which can only be a good thing. If he deals with Anderson comfortably I would like to see him step up a little, still think Magee would be a decent (and achievable) scalp.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 24 Jan - 16:15

Anderson is very much a live fighter, he'll be massively up for this. I'd have liked to have seen him in with Degale if I'm honest, rather than Groves again but for George it's another tough fight on paper and he's maintaining a good progress curve.

Comfortable UD for Groves.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by johnson2 Tue 24 Jan - 16:40

Groves takes this one quite easily. The kid is massively improving and has a fantastic jab. Does switch off a little at times (less so now) but I would exactly call him fragile. Adnerson doesnt hit hard than Smith for me and I see Groves controlling with his jab for the first couple rounds.

Anderson will continue to move forward with Groves slowing him with some body work. See Groves stepping it up to stop him around 5/6 rounds in. Pretty one-sided affair for me.

johnson2

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 24 Jan - 16:42

alma wrote:Groves should win in around 7 I would say. Would be nice to see him a little more active, but he's being brought along nicely for someone only 23

He fought 4 times between November 10 and November 11, when you consider how often most boxers fight now that is decent going. He was due to fight December 9th but a hand injury forced him to pull out.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 24 Jan - 18:10

groves seems to be going about things in the right way, and genuinely improving all the time. its easy to expect young fighters to learn the game and get better, but they need to stay humble and dedicated. groves is nowhere near as talented as degale as far as im concerned but i would say hes the much better prospect at the moment.
i think groves will show how hes improving and deal with anderson relatively easily this time

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 24 Jan - 19:07

It's not that much of a risk.

Groves let Anderson in the last fight and made hard work of it. Anderson is tough but he isn't much of a boxer. He comes forward and tries to take your head off.

If Groves uses his jab and boxes on the back foot Anderson will tire in the 2nd half of the fight and Groves should stop him then.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jan - 19:38

Poor old Anderson is garbage too it seems!!!

Groves has more class...however he does get caught...After his wobbly excursion in the States you can't rule out an upset with this kid....

Even Smith landed a few times at will......before the stoppage..

However he is a good talent and I expect he'll prevail in the middle rounds..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 24 Jan - 20:21

I agree with Trussman, expect a Groves stoppage, later than most would expect, but I'd fancy a few hairy moments along the way for Groves. I think Anderson is a decent domestic Super Middle, I'd back him to beat Smith.

Slight sidestep, but does anyone know what Tony Jefferies is upto?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 24 Jan - 20:24

He has nothing lined up. He went to the States to train a while back is he still over there?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 24 Jan - 20:26

He's in California training should have something announced soon. Might be in The States though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jan - 20:49

Lance wrote:groves seems to be going about things in the right way, and genuinely improving all the time. its easy to expect young fighters to learn the game and get better, but they need to stay humble and dedicated. groves is nowhere near as talented as degale as far as im concerned but i would say hes the much better prospect at the moment.
i think groves will show how hes improving and deal with anderson relatively easily this time

Must be nice to hold 2 wins and no losses against an opponent apparently so vastly more talented......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down