The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miguel Cotto's Next Opponent!

+8
azania
compelling and rich
manos de piedra
Lance
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
12 posters

Go down

Miguel Cotto's Next Opponent! Empty Miguel Cotto's Next Opponent!

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:21 pm

He's going to be fighting in December at Madison Square Garden, Bryan Perez (Cotto's Manager) claims the two names at the top of the list are Saul Alvarez and Timothy Bradley. Bradley claims he can easily go to the LMW Division to face Cotto, because in the olympics he weighed 152 and its supposedly no problem to him. Gotta think the easier option would be Bradley however, as he doesn't seem to have much power as a 147lber, so you would think he would struggle to make impressions at LMW. Alvarez is the more exciting fight in my view, and would be a bit of a 50-50 fight.

For me, these are two awesome and both easy sell fights, Bradleys name dipped in controversy and Alvarez the supposed next big Mexican star.

I prefer the Alvarez fight, it would also be easier as they are both with Golden Boy, and Arum may not want to put his man in with, not only an out-of-house fighter, but also one that ditched him with some seemingly genuine hatred.

Thoughts on this?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Miguel Cotto's Next Opponent! Empty Re: Miguel Cotto's Next Opponent!

Post by Rowley Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Alvarez would be a crackign scrap if it can happen, two guys who are good to watch and be interesting to see if Saul can step up. My preference is very much for that of the two options

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Cotto promotes himself, he isn't a Golen Boy fighter.

But that being said, he doesn't seem the type to squabble over loose change etc to get a fight signed.

Would love to see the Alvarez fight get made, actually see Cotto getting beat on points or stopped late.

He would beat Bradley I feel, but then questions would be asked about Bradley's performance at light middle.

Good to see he isn't shying from competitive fights.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Cotto would be mad to take on Bradley given the Pac robbery (which in my eyes it was, I realise c.1% of people disagree). That said I would like to see him blast cannonball head out as Bradley won't trouble Cotto a jot. His only chance is for judges to score missed/blocked punches again and squeek an SD.

Cotto-Alvarez would be a corker but again I'd be concerned that Cotto would be en route to a controversial loss.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:41 pm

i would fancy alvarez to stop cotto. dont think he could handle his power. would be surprised if cotto bradley happend anytime soon. whats the deal as regards to pacman bradley rematch?

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Cotto promotes himself, he isn't a Golen Boy fighter.

My bad, I actually just presumed he joined Golden Boy due to him leaving Arum.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Alvarez v Cotto and Pacquiao v Bradley II would make the most sense to me.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:54 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Alvarez v Cotto and Pacquiao v Bradley II would make the most sense to me.

Agreed, but I think we all know Boxing never makes sense!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Cotto promotes himself, he isn't a Golen Boy fighter.

My bad, I actually just presumed he joined Golden Boy due to him leaving Arum.

Yea after the Marg rematch he left Arum and went alone. Its the only way the Mayweather fight happened probably.

Gives a massive indication why Manny ain't signed up. But then again, he doesn't seem like he has the brains to go it alone like Cotto and Mayweather.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:35 pm

id like to see the alvarez fight to, but like others see him stopping cotto pretty easily. cotto has become very easy to hit. if marg can wear him down and land freely on him (possible loaded gloves arguement aside) then i see a younger harder hitting alvarez doing alot more damage

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:47 pm

After the Floyd fight, Cotto deserves an easy night's work. He should fight Alvarez in that case. But I doubt GBP would put Saul in with an opponent who has much of a pulse rate.

I reckon Tim V Cotto will be made instead.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Bradley will have to come up to 154.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:09 pm

compelling and rich wrote:id like to see the alvarez fight to, but like others see him stopping cotto pretty easily. cotto has become very easy to hit. if marg can wear him down and land freely on him (possible loaded gloves arguement aside) then i see a younger harder hitting alvarez doing alot more damage

To be fair to Cotto, Floyd had his lowest ever hit percent rate ever I think against Cotto.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:id like to see the alvarez fight to, but like others see him stopping cotto pretty easily. cotto has become very easy to hit. if marg can wear him down and land freely on him (possible loaded gloves arguement aside) then i see a younger harder hitting alvarez doing alot more damage

To be fair to Cotto, Floyd had his lowest ever hit percent rate ever I think against Cotto.

still yet to see this fight, was away on a stag do and havent got round to watching it. so cant really comment on his performance again floyd, it was something i was definately seeing against marg, manny and even clottey!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Would be happy for either fight but can't see either happening.

I can't see Bradley taking the risk unless the money was substantially more than he can get anywhere else.

With Alvarez I don't think GBP will risk although I favor Canelo in this match up.

Cotto/Alvarez would be great but as a back up I'd take a fight with Kirkland!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:04 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

still yet to see this fight, was away on a stag do and havent got round to watching it. so cant really comment on his performance again floyd, it was something i was definately seeing against marg, manny and even clottey!

don't watch it with commentary whatever you do....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

don't watch it with commentary whatever you do....

shouldnt be a problem, in work they have taken away the moniters with working sound mad , they cant stop the sheep playing though!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:51 pm

i cant see the judges been needed if either of these fights happen, style wise there both top fights.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Canelo will probably make short work of Lopez in September so will be able to train quickly once the fight is finished so should be in great condition for the December date

Both would be great fights as both are very good young fighters

Alvarez makes the most sense for obvious reasons like he's a bigger draw, more exciting style, more power, a natural 154lber and many consider them #1 or #2 at the weight behind floyd who is the top mom attest where he campaigns at

Alvarez stops cotto late or wins a UD IMO. Cotto did well vs floyd but was almost off his feet in the 12th. Alvarez is a lot bigger an hits a lot harder than floyd and although not as fast, he is extremely accurate and has a very good skillet so won't be outboxed as easily as cotto did to margarito and mayorga.

Bradley would do pretty well vs cotto imo. He doesn't have the power to hurt or trouble cotto especially at 154 but he showed a lot of great defensive work vs pacquiao like blocking and slipping and pacquiao is a lot quicker than cotto. Also, Bradley doesn't have much power but is physically pretty strong so won't be bullied by cotto who isn't exactly a big LMW and his high workrate, good chin and fast hands could really trouble cotto

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:58 pm

What about a Mayweather rematch? Makes sense for both guys and there is probably the best pay day.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:22 pm

No point in a rematch. The first fight was conclusive.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down