The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

They're rebooting another Franchise

+4
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Skydriver
Smirnoffpriest
Morgannwg
8 posters

Go down

They're rebooting another Franchise Empty They're rebooting another Franchise

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Nowadays everything has been done and more and more franchises or films are being re-made.

In this instance I'm talking about the up and coming 'Mad Max: Fury Road (2013)'. I was a big fan of the Mad Max movies in my younger years, where Gibson gave chilling but stellar performances as the hero cop turned drifter/loner, Max Rockatansky. Tom Hardy (removed) will be playing Max. Anyone else think this is going to be an epic fail the way Terminator Salvation was? (Bale at his worst).

For me, JJ Abrahams Star Trek remains the best remake. They should have left Mad Max and Terminator alone though.

*RoboCop 13 is around halfway through production. Have included some info on the reboot. Interested in how it compares to the original.

** Changed my opinion of Tom Hardy after watching Warrior. I hope his rise to fame continues, great actor.

Last edited by Morgannwg on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

They're rebooting another Franchise Empty Re: They're rebooting another Franchise

Post by Guest Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

I don't think the Terminator Salvation was a flop. The fact the film companies could not be arsed to fork out for the rights meant that the 3 film deal was dead in the water. IIRC a female millionaire film buff bought the rights for the film company to continue with the franchise.

Mad Max is more of a cult film. Beyond Thunderdome was dreadful. However, I am not against the franchise being re-boot. I think if they can get the same gritty atmosphere the originals had and couple that with better effects and props it might just work.

Back to top Go down

They're rebooting another Franchise Empty Re: They're rebooting another Franchise

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 pm

No it wasn't a flop because of the money it brought in. It was poor from Bale, as was Kyle Reese' character. James Cameron gave a 10 times better view of the nightmare future within ten minutes than that whole film did; seeing as that was what Salvation was meant to be about I was deeply disapointed. They also strayed away from Cameron's ideology (with San Francisco, different machines, planes and choppers) which made it bad/farfetched.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:39 pm

I thought Bale was a solid choice. The casting for Kyle Reese was always going to be difficult. I think they had the story solid. Move more towards the future. Cameron's view was always 'theoretical' and simplistic in the whole 'Man trusts machines who think for themselves and rebel' what I liked about the remake was the fact it was set in the future. The whole scar thing as well I thought was a great tribute to the detail of the character shown in the second terminator installment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Apparently they're bringing out another Robocop as well, and I dispare about the Ghostbusters film which is coming out soon!

Why can't they leave classics as just that classics?

(Notice they never remake any of the Disney classics though Whistle)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Yeah I heard about the Robocop one too. I really hope they don't, that is one of my all time favourite movies.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:49 pm

By coincidence, all 3 of Paul Verhoeven's sci fi flicks are being rebooted.

Total Recall is out shortly. RoboCop is out of the blocks next [I posted the teaser promo featuring ED-209 on a different thread], and Starship Troopers will be on the way too.

It was never a wild Nostradamus type prediction, but I recall writing some sci fi thing more than 20 years ago which included some background detail about what was on the TV-equivalent - 3D remakes of 2D remakes... And here we almost are - Total Recall 2012 to be shown in IMAX 3D (I think?), based on Total Recall 1990, itself based on Philip K Dick's short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"(?)...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Skydriver, I just watched that. It looks as if they are sticking to Verhoeven's ideology (the robots, the vision, the advertising). That's probably the only way it could be good.

As for Total Recall, well, you just can't remake an Arnie blockbuster with no Arnie.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Someone i know said will farrell will b cast in arnies role in total recall

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Total recall is about the only one that could be improved. Whilst it is classic Arnie the film does loose the complexities of the story. If they make the remake less of a cartoon action film, focus more on the questions the original book poses, and give it a very different feel it could be good. If its Will Ferrell then thats just retarded.
Trying to do Terminator without Arnie properly ate the center of it was always going to be a loser. His presence is what makes those films. Same with Conan, the original may be daft but its pure and untouchable as far as swords and sorcery nonsense goes. The guy in the remake looks like a failed stripogram fighting a bunch of cartoon monsters. You just couldnt imagine him punching out a camel.

Starship Troopers really doesnt need redoing, biggest fear with that is them messing with the moral ambiguity of the film.

Robocop..meh whatever.

Mad Max? Vin Diesel returns for fast and the furious X set in a post apocalyptic future?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Someone i know said will farrell will b cast in arnies role in total recall

COLIN Farrell!!! Pretty intriguing cast otherwise - Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Bill Nighy....

It's actually out soon. I've seen the trailer, and it looked interesting enough... Ah, here's the official site if you want to check it out:

http://www.welcometorecall.com/

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:30 am

Ahh I see, that would make more sense than Will Farrell

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Ahh I see, that would make more sense than Will Farrell

Will Ferrell.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:44 pm

http://www.sprhuman.com/robocop-2013-suit/

There have been a lot of fakes on the internet. The fictional site omnicorp.com is yet to post a pic of Robocop. (If you're a RoboCop fan I suggest you check it out, it's quite clever what they have going on, but of course the creation of this world we owe to Verhoeven).

I think the one in the link is the most likely, as I've read that in this film his visor would look like that and that they were able to save his arm. Kind of silly walking around with that one human arm if you ask me.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:56 pm

For those interested, it seems that is the RoboCop suit. I'm also lead to believe that Alex Murphy doesn't lose his identity seeing as they 'save his life' in this reboot. I preferred it when Alex died and then became RoboCop.

Here are some more images. I have to say I prefer the cars in the old movie too. Nothing unique about this design, it just looks like a toy car you'd find in a...cereal box?

http://www.movieweb.com/movie/robocop-2013/PGP0oTr3rA6DSV/tikvxvwFeySQeBA
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:45 pm

its a shame they just cant leave films alone these days, one of the more upsetting ones they are needlessy adding a prequel to is raging bull

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:53 pm

While it wont be as good as the original I actually think this could be good , Hardy should be suited to the role and as long as the script is decent they should be able to re imagine it.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Robocop should be left alone.

Great movie way ahead of its time.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down