The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Fathers - A plus or negative ??

+5
compelling and rich
manos de piedra
Imperial Ghosty
lfc91
TRUSSMAN66
9 posters

Go down

Great Fathers - A plus or negative ?? Empty Great Fathers - A plus or negative ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:20 pm

No talking about Father Christmas here.....or our heavely Father above....

Let's look at it!!!. having a great Dad usually like in Eubank Jr's case, Marvis Frazier's and others leads to more exposure..probably bigger purses for you in the novice stakes...Can also lead to other doors being opened perhaps to trainers who wouldn't be interested otherwise..

On the otherside....we probably have a kid struggling to find his own identity...probably pushed and resentful (or resentful later)....probably has his Father trying to live his past glories through him....and probably a huge amount of pressure (more likely to feel a failure..after all his Dad was great!!)......

and always the comparison with his Dad!! Who by failing may feel he's let him down etc.....

For me it's not cut and dried!!!

Great Fathers - A plus or neagative???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Great Fathers - A plus or negative ?? Empty Re: Great Fathers - A plus or negative ??

Post by lfc91 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:38 pm

I dont know much about the subject, but have noticed they tend to spend more time talking to eubank after a fight than his son who done the fighting! I agree its not cut and dried, alot of positives and negatives.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Great Fathers - A plus or negative ?? Empty Re: Great Fathers - A plus or negative ??

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:51 pm

More exposure leads to a lot more pressure that very few live up to. Chavez isn't an awful fighter, he just isnt his dad so gets judged against him rather than his actual ability.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm

Plus overall I think. It gets you more exposure and ultimately more opportunies even if you end up completely mediocre which 9/10 times this will probably be the case.

It would be frustrating if you ended up being very good though but just not quite as good as your father because then your own acheivement would be overshadowed to some extent.

Chavez Jr if he beat Martinez for example would probably feel both sides of the effect.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:57 pm

i suppose every fighter is different, certainly not harmed mayweather and has pratically made chavez jnr to where he is now. but it all depends on whether the son can handle the extra pressure. overall i would say posative because ive got a feeling that many a son wouldnt have got as far as he did or cerainly not paid as well if it wasnt for there fathers profile. some are known even though they didnt have half there talents of their dads

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 12:58 pm

I think it's a plus too..overall...

But it does lead to higher expectations and maybe bitterness..

thanks for the replies..

nice to see genuine posters on here..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:01 pm

Thing with mayweather he had the amateur pedigree and god given talent to make family comparisons pretty pointless, dismantling a great fighter like Hernandez in what his 17th fight helped a lot too.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:04 pm

Don't think Roger or his Dad were considered that great though Ghosty!!

Roger was good and with a chin probably could have been top notch...but Floyd didn't really have too much in the way of reputation to eclipse..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:09 pm

A son who I like a lot is Vasquez Jnr, his father was a fighter of great ability and achievement. He doesn't seem intent on living of his name and does actively try to test himself at the highest, he'll never reach the same heights but not from want of trying.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:26 pm

Remember Hilton's Dad nearly ruined his career against Hines...

Some Father's hate failure and will sometimes let there Son take too much because their dreams may be spoilt..

Holmes-Frazier is another example..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 20 Jul 2012, 1:58 pm

Buster douglas's dad was quite good wasnt he? In the glenn johnson mould. One fight to eclipse his fathers entire career - although his father was only highly regarded locally and in boxing circles.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:01 pm

He was another one that fell out with his Dad...

Daddy thought he'd quit against Tucker!!

Hard to let go for the Father sometimes.....

Douglas seem to do better without him!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:02 pm

Other than PBF, are there any good examples of sons out-achieving their fathers?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:11 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Other than PBF, are there any good examples of sons out-achieving their fathers?

The Mundines

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:14 pm

Ray Mancini......Buster Douglas....

Mind has gone blank..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:14 pm

I would say a decent number of boxers who acheived alot in the sport had fathers that boxed on some level but are just obscure and left no lasting legacy. Especially in some of the earlier eras where small house shows and smokers were prominant. You probably just never hear about them.

I think Cotto Sr, Jones Sr and Trinidad Sr were boxers I think?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:16 pm

The Spinks

Jones Sr fought Hagler

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 2:41 pm

De la Hoya's father and grandfather were both professionals, as it goes.

Yoel Judah is a world titlist in kick boxing or some other form of martial art, isn't he? Now there is a clown who has gone to great lengths to ruin his own son's career.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 20 Jul 2012, 3:50 pm

Like I said it's not always a good thing..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down