The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lewis Evans to Captain the Dragons

+3
youngguns6
ScarletSpiderman
Luckless Pedestrian
7 posters

Go down

Lewis Evans to Captain the Dragons Empty Lewis Evans to Captain the Dragons

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 18 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

Lewis Evans will captain Newport Gwent Dragons for the coming season.

The back-row, who has come through the Dragons' age-grade system, led the Welsh region's Under-20s and made his senior debut in 2006 aged 18.

"I'm overwhelmed and really honoured to have been named captain for the coming season," said the 25-year-old.

"The Dragons players are more than just co-workers - these guys are my mates on and off the field. It makes this a special place to play."

Evans takes over the captaincy from Wales lock Luke Charteris, who left Dragons at the end of last season to join French Top 14 side Perpignan.

The flanker will form a potent Dragons back-row with Wales stars Dan Lydiate and Toby Faletau, while up and coming player Darren Waters will also be pushing for selection.

"Captaining doesn't always guarantee selection and I know that it's going to be tough this season with the Welsh boys in the side and Darren on my tail," Evans said.

"I want to ensure that I'm selected on my own merit and if I want to be pushing for international selection I need to be able to stand up alongside the best.

"Like most young players I aspired to captain the regional side, but to be doing it at a young age is more than I would have dreamed of.

"Having said that, we know what our goals are - to make Rodney Parade a fortress and pick up those crucial wins on the road so I'm as focused as ever on the job in hand.

"There's a great atmosphere in the camp and that's shown in the intensity of our pre-season training. These are boys who will lay themselves on the line without hesitation and it's and very exciting to be asked to represent them in this way."

Dragons will begin the Pro12 campaign on the weekend of 31 August-2 September at home against new Italian side Zebre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18882355

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Lewis Evans to Captain the Dragons Empty Re: Lewis Evans to Captain the Dragons

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 18 Jul 2012, 12:41 pm

I am a bit suprised by that, he is a real grafter etc, but I was not sure he was a cert to start as such. However I assume he will miss out on international call ups, so that makes him available all year around.

Any how best of luck to him.

Also I assume that means the Dragons first choice backrow is
6 Lydiate,
7 Evans,
8 Toby.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 18 Jul 2012, 12:51 pm

He admits in the article that he isn't guaranteed a starting spot just because he's captain, which is as it should be (take note, Rob Howley!). He was in superb form at the start of last season, and won a call-up to the Wales training squad on the back of it. Then he had a brain fart against Glasgow that cost us victory and I don't remember him being as prominent after that. If he starts this season as he started the last then he may yet feature for Wales - which the Dragons could probably do without!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 18 Jul 2012, 4:46 pm

DE knows the players better than we do but I'm not sure Evans would be my choice. He often seems to be away with the fairys. That said we have a very young squad without another other real options. A good solid player, this could spur him on to bigger things.

I'm actually feeling quite optimistic about next season (probably due to the fact I haven't played for a while). We have a lot of talent, injurys will hurt us at some point but I predict a big start to the season.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 18 Jul 2012, 6:32 pm

I think this is a good move and have rated Evans for some time, he has limited some involvement with previous Welsh squads so not a surprise to me and I do like the sound of a Lydiate Faletau Evans back row
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jul 2012, 8:19 pm

Now it's announced, it seems the logical choice really. Sid will be changing a bit with Nimmo and Adam Jones and Ash with Leach and Teflon Tuilagi. Shanksy will be pretty much nailed on to start at 7 when the internationals are about and at 6 when they aren't.

All the best to him and hopefully he'll lead us well.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Jul 2012, 8:35 pm

I was a little surprised by this story but very happy to read it.. Good lad with a big future

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 18 Jul 2012, 10:02 pm

Very good player and see the logic with the internationals being away during the season. I feel he is a 6 rather than a 7, I believe Waters is a better 7 prospect. The Dragons do have a good back row with back up but I prefer a more experienced player as captain like Sid!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 19 Jul 2012, 7:30 am

You don't really need to play an out and out 7 at club/regional level. The Dragons should do fine, possibly even better with the physical backrow they'll have next year.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:06 pm

gowales wrote:You don't really need to play an out and out 7 at club/regional level. The Dragons should do fine, possibly even better with the physical backrow they'll have next year.

Agreed, at least they have the option to start or bring on an out and out 7 depending who they are playing. I suspect because of international they will both be playing in the back row. The other positive, the Dragons back row players are Wales qualified.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down