The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Upsets Have Been Good For Boxing

+3
AlexHuckerby
Seanusarrilius
davidemore
7 posters

Go down

The Upsets Have Been Good For Boxing Empty The Upsets Have Been Good For Boxing

Post by davidemore Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

Everybody loves one.

First Lopez shatters Ortiz's jaw. Then only weeks later another star is born in the shape of Garcia. Both fighters were huge underdogs, both of their foes were talking about bigger things (or GBP were) before the bell had rang.

But both were stunned into submission.

I think this has done a lot for the sport.

Here's why.

1. Boxing is buzzing again. Was it the nature of these two fighters wins, the heart they showed or the odds that were stacked against them? Whichever you pick the headlines are fair and true and the defeated fighters have shown grace and professionalism post-pancaking. Plus, it's been bloody entertaining.

2. Haye vs Chisora. Regardless of whether you thought the fight should have gone ahead, it did, but what was really nice to see was the grace and respect shown once the fight was over. I lost money last weekend, and find both men a drag, but fair play, they got it done and really promoted the positive side of boxing.

3. Mayweather is in jail. I'm not judging him, time will do that, but it is nice to be removed from the Pac vs Money debate. Not heard a sniff of it since he got locked up.

There's a new, hungry breed of fighters emerging, and with Broner on show soon we could be discussing another epic fight in only a matter of days.

Bring it on Broner, you Twitter crazy comb fiend. Let's see what you've got when the loafers and shades are off.

Yours Eternally,

emore

davidemore

Back to top Go down

The Upsets Have Been Good For Boxing Empty Re: The Upsets Have Been Good For Boxing

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:33 pm

Emore. Rumour has it you're trying to be more?

Agree upsets are good for the sport.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

The Upsets Have Been Good For Boxing Empty Re: The Upsets Have Been Good For Boxing

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:37 pm

I agree, last weekend I had loads of texts asking me did I watch the fights even got a few about Brooks fight the other week too, after Boxing shooting itself numerous times recently the actual fights have gone beyond expectation.

I love watching Broner fight so can't wait.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 16 Jul 2012, 9:41 pm

I just want to attain, Seanus. Been good aye?

Alex, a great reminder mate, the Brook fight was epic, although his personality lacks, it was a gripping fight.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 16 Jul 2012, 10:57 pm

Brilliant one Davide. Indeed its been a cracking time for boxing recently.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 17 Jul 2012, 1:40 pm

Thanks mate, can't remember the last time the sport was this lively, excellent few weeks, really sets us up for the next season!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 17 Jul 2012, 2:29 pm

davidemore wrote:Thanks mate, can't remember the last time the sport was this lively, excellent few weeks, really sets us up for the next season!

On a separate note, our predictions were a long way off!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 17 Jul 2012, 3:07 pm

I think that htey have been all good fights is the most important part of it.

The only drawback I would say would be in terms of the Lopez/Ortiz fight as it has denied us a better fight in Ortiz/Alvarez. I would have backed Alvarez to win that well but it had the makings of a really good action fight. Instead, I just dont see Lopez having the size, style or ability to last with Alvarez and its not really a fight that I can get too excited about. I also think the fact that Ortiz was beating Lopez until the retirement does not bode well.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 17 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

mike jones was beat in a huge upset by 37 year old bailey. he now has the IBF title that kell brook should be next in line to fight for after his win over jones. think brook will manage to win the title if allowed his chance.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 17 Jul 2012, 3:43 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:mike jones was beat in a huge upset by 37 year old bailey. he now has the IBF title that kell brook should be next in line to fight for after his win over jones. think brook will manage to win the title if allowed his chance.

I think the IBF are telling him he has a final eliminator and by that time it may be a simple fact tthat Alexander is then champion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 17 Jul 2012, 8:24 pm

Mobile, my prediction on Khan was way, way off, and Haye!!!! Yikes! Got the Brook one spot on though. Still, when the action is that fierce I'm okay with losing the odd fiver... but being Scottish... only just, lol.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 17 Jul 2012, 10:50 pm

davidemore wrote:Mobile, my prediction on Khan was way, way off, and Haye!!!! Yikes! Got the Brook one spot on though. Still, when the action is that fierce I'm okay with losing the odd fiver... but being Scottish... only just, lol.

I got all of mine wrong. I had that nice prediction carefully planned out for a 6th round stoppage. I had Haye being KO'd by Chisora late on (which i think he had a chance of doing had he not been caught by a sledghammer) and i had Brook knocking out Jones in 6 rounds!

Roll on the next batch of fights.

Who is coming up schedule wise btw??

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down