The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is boxing good for kids?

+18
Mind the windows Tino.
Michaels, Sean
KingMonkey
Doon the Water
TRUSSMAN66
John Bloody Wayne
Jimmy Moz
Rowley
HumanWindmill
Adam D
Strongback
milkyboy
Steffan
The Galveston Giant
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
Scottrf
McLaren
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is boxing good for kids? Empty Is boxing good for kids?

Post by McLaren Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:52 am

I have been watching the excellent HBO show the wire of late and I am currently in season three. I will not give away any spoilers but one storyline involves a character setting up a boxing gym for some local youths from very disadvantaged and deprived backgrounds. This is a common storyline, rough kids come good through boxing, in film and TV but is there any basis for the theory in real life? I would be interested to hear from those of you who post on here who have experience of setting up such a project or maybe have examples of where this has worked.

I would also be interested to hear some opinions on why boxing might provide a better sport to employ in such projects compared to other sports. Or do even the boxing fans feel uneasy about introducing violence, albeit controlled, into a situation where all forms of violence are already present.

I can see that the discipline of the training regime might give structure to people who otherwise have very little structure in their life’s but is that any different to other sports?

What is it about boxing?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Is boxing good for kids? Empty Re: Is boxing good for kids?

Post by Scottrf Thu 27 Oct 2011, 12:01 pm

I think it’s that it appeals to the right type of child. You can’t take someone from the ghetto and hand them a badminton racket, but if they have been around violence then it might appeal. Kids will fight, why not in a controlled and supervised setting?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 12:04 pm

The proof is in the pudding, as they say. The results speak for themselves and it's undeniable that boxing can clearly make a huge difference to the lives of youngsters from the proverbial wrong side of the track.

I think the thing with boxing, which isn't perhaps so true in other sports, is that it requires a real sense of discipline and concentration, as well as independence.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:01 pm

How in God's name can you only just be getting round to watching "The Wire"? Surely it's essential viewing!

I got the lot on dvd and spent hours watching it. Definitley worth the investment...as is "Oz"

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:07 pm

so many kids sort there life out with boxing especially those that have nothing else going for them.

look at guys like sugar ray leonard true rags to riches stories, it give them a way out and a way to give there families financial relief from the poorest communities.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:17 pm

DAVE667 wrote:How in God's name can you only just be getting round to watching "The Wire"? Surely it's essential viewing!

I got the lot on dvd and spent hours watching it. Definitley worth the investment...as is "Oz"

Yeah Oz is good, the amount of actors from it that you know see in all the other series is unreal. For it's time it was hard hitting, and still is i suppose.

Boxing gyms for the main part used to be based in tough, lower class areas, and still are. Is a chance for kids to make something of themselves that normally would have no opportunity, they didn't make it up in the films.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

Is 'The Wire' that good I was thinking of getting the first season. Some say its the best show ever. In regards to kids boxing...I dont think it does them any harm. Same as something like Karate both my nephews do it and its good discipline. Most of the aggresive wasters I was in school with never did anything like that

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:46 pm

Not the best show ever but it is very good.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:47 pm

Best show ever? Not so sure about that but it's pretty damn fine and worth investing some time in.

HBO have done some great stuff over the years and "The Wire" stands alongside many of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:49 pm

Im currently on Season 4 of Prison Break (no spoilers please) and its getting hard work if im honest. Seasons 1 and 2 were great

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

Steffan wrote:Im currently on Season 4 of Prison Break (no spoilers please) and its getting hard work if im honest. Seasons 1 and 2 were great

I loved season 1 & 2 of Prison break also, 3 & 4 were so so, i don't think the writers strike helped any series back then, cancelled a few shows i really liked.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

"Prison Break" is balls. It's up there with "Lost" for pointless wastes of time and effort.

Go back and watch "Millenium" or "Deadwood" if you want a great series

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:54 pm

3 and 4 are too farfetched. 4 is really farfetched of what iv watched so far

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:56 pm

DAVE667 wrote:"Prison Break" is balls. It's up there with "Lost" for pointless wastes of time and effort.

Go back and watch "Millenium" or "Deadwood" if you want a great series

Deadwood was one of the ones i was peed got cancelled, i liked Lost aswell though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:56 pm

West Wing is still the best TV show I've seen.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:56 pm

Steffan wrote:3 and 4 are too farfetched. 4 is really farfetched of what iv watched so far

Yeah it went a bit mental.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

The wire is one of the best shows I have seen and at the moment would rank it as my favourite.

Back to the kids and boxing theme, are there any programmes out there that get kids into boxing while at the same time encouraging them to pursue other forms of education?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:10 pm

a friend of mine used to watch the wire and then phone another mate and they'd discuss the episode. I was in tears when i heard this, and couldn't bring myself to watch it. clearly i've missed out.

I'm soon to become a father and would have mixed thoughts about milky junior taking up boxing. I'll do some sparring with him though... figure i might have his number til he gets to 3 or 4.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

Of the TV series I've watched in totality I thought the The Soprano's was the best until I watched The Wire. I think The Wire just has a huge cast of great characters and brilliant plot development.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:58 pm

DAVE667 wrote:"Prison Break" is balls. It's up there with "Lost" for pointless wastes of time and effort

Bit harsh. Season 1 was very addictive as were moments of Season 2. It still raised the bar I thought

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:14 pm

Can we please try and bring this back on topic?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:29 pm

Fellas,

Out of respect to the author of the thread I have removed the last few comments, since they were off topic and also since they were getting a wee bit fractious.

Could we please get back to the topic?

Thank you.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:32 pm

I think as others have already alluded to there are simply far too many examples of young kids who were heading way off the rails turned around by boxing to argue it is not good for kids. George Foreman was a complete wrong un as a kid, Holmes and Bruno were similarly troubled, the list is absolutely huge. The discipline, commitment and sense of belonging boxing training provides kids are things that stand young people in good stead whether they pursue the game as a career or not.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:36 pm

The question is I guess would you want your kid boxing? I havn't got any as of yet but if I did I wouldn't really fancy them taking it up. This may sound slightly classist but are kids from potentially rougher backround going to get into fights anyway therefore boxing is good for them where as children of maybe better backrounds would have no need for it.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:43 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:The question is I guess would you want your kid boxing? I havn't got any as of yet but if I did I wouldn't really fancy them taking it up. This may sound slightly classist but are kids from potentially rougher backround going to get into fights anyway therefore boxing is good for them where as children of maybe better backrounds would have no need for it.

There is a chance that fighting will come second nature to some kids from rougher areas, it shows them that being the loudest idiot doesn't make you tough, thus making you respect more people, this is obviously for the more troubled one's, respect is big in boxing as everyone can fight, you won't see any loud annoying little Muppets in clubs as they get that knocked out of them right away.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:47 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:you won't see any loud annoying little Muppets in clubs as they get that knocked out of them right away.

Prince Naseem proved that theory wrong mind lol.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 5:49 pm

Jimmy Moz wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:you won't see any loud annoying little Muppets in clubs as they get that knocked out of them right away.

Prince Naseem proved that theory wrong mind lol.

Laugh He sure did, took about 30 years to knock it out of him.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:20 pm

I think it is ultimately a good thing for young folks. It teaches them about respect, discipline, perseverance etc.

Aslo a great motivator for staying in shape. I see all kinds of stats aying the UK's kids are fat wastes of space. Things like boxing could change that. I find boxers rarely get into fist fights lightly, too.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

Good point JBW, with obesity rising in this country at a rapid rate getting in the gym and hitting the punching bag is surely a good thing for kids.

Was listening to an AMir Khan interview on Talksport, he was talking about how in school he was always hyperactive and getting into fights and not doing his schoolwork, but boxing straightened him out, got him concentrating on his schoolwork and calmed him down and lot and matured him as a person.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:37 pm

Floyd Patterson was one of the most mild mannered, genuine, polite and principled sportsmen who ever drew breath. Everybody had affection for him and regarded him as a true gent.

Patterson grew up in Stuyvesant Heights in Brooklyn which, at the time, was one of the most deprived neighbourhoods in New York. A truant, thief, runaway and troublemaker, Patterson, by his own admission, was headed for delinquency and a life of crime. He attributed boxing as being his saviour, and claimed it gave him the incentive, the self esteem and the self discipline to make something of himself.

There must be, quite literally, hundreds of stories like this, but Patterson's seems to outshine them all.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:41 pm

It seems to work on my Son when he's too slow to duck...

I think it depends on the kid.....Bullies can learn discipline and respect......Shy kids can gain confidence .....and it's always good to learn how to protect oneself...

On the otherhand some people don't change.....depends on the individual...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:42 pm

Kids want to be tough and show off, boxing shows them you can knock lumps out of each other then help each other out the ring, be friends. They find that if they were a bully they aren't as tough as they thought. They realise they can be themselves and not try to be someone else and be respected. Just to train they will have to show great discipline. Maturity develops a lot quicker.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:44 pm

Is true Truss, sometimes such a thing doesn't have quite the effect it has on another person. Some people too scared to get into the ring in the first place, some don't take the values that they could be taking from the sport, down to the individual as you say, however many people do still benefit from it, and in a lot of cases people you wouldn't expect it to.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:48 pm

Not sure I really took much out of Boxing.......(apart from bruised lips and a black eye Cool ) ..think I remained the humble, good natured individual I've been since....

Only went because my brother went before me.....he left (he didn't have a right!!)and I carried on.....

You always think you're Sugar ray until someone punches you around the ring..

I took up weights instead..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not sure I really took much out of Boxing.......(apart from bruised lips and a black eye Cool ) ..think I remained the humble, good natured individual I've been since....

Only went because my brother went before me.....he left (he didn't have a right!!)and I carried on.....

You always think you're Sugar ray until someone punches you around the ring..

I took up weights instead..

When things are getting tough in there you need to remember the accidental low blow, works everytime.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:53 pm

Yes Truss... So humble...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 6:53 pm

No good I only fought dwarfs...........

Those umpa-lumpas carry a dig..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 27 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm

I think any sport is good for kids.

Too many seem to think that two hours on the computer is a work out.

From what I can see of the current crop of male fathers ther are not too many role models around.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 28 Oct 2011, 4:29 am

Doon the Water wrote:I think any sport is good for kids.

From what I can see of the current crop of male fathers ther are not too many role models around.

Take a quick look at The Jeremy Kyle Show, will tell you all you need to know.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:46 am

I've boxed for a couple of years, I'm 32 now, really wish I'd taken it up as a kid. Just had our first kid actually, a little boy, and although we're far from being on the wrong side of the tracks I'd love to get him involved in boxing one day. I can't see how it can be anything but decent for youngsters to be involved in sport and boxing really is one of the toughest out there.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:30 am

What percentage of boxers have issues after their career though. Even the seemingly grounded ones like hat ton struggle
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:37 am

It's not just about careers though surely, I've been playing football since I was 7 and loved it but I was never going to be a pro footballer! Boxing as a hobby must have it's merits.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 28 Oct 2011, 8:53 am

th4nk its nearly all sports have that though sean... just humans trying to regain the high and the feeling they once had sometimes sends them off the rails.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:10 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:

What exactly will that tell you, Alex? That the researchers on the Jeremy Kyle show are good at their jobs? They are not going to have sensible, well grounded fathers, of which there are millions, on the show are they?

Anyway, I think boxing and all sports in general are excellent for kids. As many posters have alluded to, there are thousands of stories of kids from tough backgrounds using boxing as a tool to better themselves. It is not just about money, but respect, discipline and self-worth. My eldest two children both play junior rugby and I have seen how much that has benefited them in terms of teamwork and discipline.

Having said that, if any of my kids came home and said they wanted to box, I would still have serious reservations. Perhaps I am too soft, but I have absolutely no desire to see them hurt someone or be hurt. I know this can easily happen in rugby and other contact sports, but the aim of the game is different.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 28 Oct 2011, 9:19 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

What exactly will that tell you, Alex? That the researchers on the Jeremy Kyle show are good at their jobs? They are not going to have sensible, well grounded fathers, of which there are millions, on the show are they?

no that there are a lot of bad fathers backing up doom the waters point. however you are correct... the researchers are very good at there job.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oneorthree Fri 28 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

Undoubtedly, there are so many tales of fighters being saved from a life of crime etc by boxing.

My brother and i shared the same group of friends from age 11 - 17 went to same school, had same upbringing etc.... now 10-15 years later i have a good career, family lifestyle. My Brother has served time for fighting/drug related offences...

Only difference between us - As a kid i started boxing at 14 and didnt hang around with the same "mates" as much and was never out roaming streets in the eveing as i was either training or sleeping as i had a fight coming up!!

oneorthree

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:06 pm

alma wrote:I asked the exact same question as this poster in a thread on the old 606 and got told I was an idiot.

That is all

heart youre in good company now alma

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

Just out of interest, has there ever even been a great boxer that's made it from an upper class? or not had a rough upbringing?

Even today, Mayweather, Pacquiao, and even say Klitchskos that are smart, don't think they had rich parents did they?

Last edited by jay-z on Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:41 pm

Barrera was from a well off family I believe.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

Leonard was from a middle class family in Maryland I believe..

As for the thread...Is Boxing good for kids???

I guess it is if he is winning......If the kid is getting hammered it's probably not too good for him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next