The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donaire vs Rigondeaux

4 posters

Go down

Donaire vs Rigondeaux Empty Donaire vs Rigondeaux

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 11 Jul 2012, 12:29 am

What the hell is with all this hype about Rigondeaux, apparently Donaire was ducking him before he won the world title of Rico Ramos. Now I can see the talent and he was obviously an outstanding amateur, but based on what I have seen, he has not proven he is worthy of a shot at Donaire.

To win the title he beat Rico Ramos, lets not forget Rico Ramos was losing every round of his world title shot before he landed the money punch.

Donaire's opposition is of a far high calibre than Rigondeaux as well. In boxing you have to earn your shot and if Rigondeaux wants the p4p star of the division then he needs to do just that. He should fight one of the other champions to prove he is on Donaire's level.

I remember Donaire was ducking Montiel not so long ago and many people were picking Montiel to beat him. Donaire won via a one sided destruction of a very very good fighter.

One key thing in pro boxing is skills are not the be all and end all, in every fight I have watched, Rigondeaux fights very cautiously and doesn't appear to want to get hit. I have never even seen Donaire wobbled and he has been in with some punchers. So if Rigondeaux has to go to war, what makes us think that he can? We already saw Bute's slick boxing get torn apart by the warrior Froch. The whole reason I thought Froch would win was because he could bully Bute (happened far earlier than I thought it would however). Rigondeaux has not had to prove his mettle in a fight yet and the Donaire fight would be completely the wrong one to try it in.

Rigondeaux may have the style to beat Donaire and may even beat him, but up till now he has not proven that he deserves a title shot.

This Donaire is 'ducking' Rigondeaux has absolutely no truth in it. Donaire has everything to lose and nothing to gain, if he beat Rigondeaux, he would be 'too green'. I think the Nishioka fight is far more appealing, against the proven best in the division. To me Rigondeaux is still not living up to the hype that follows him.

Thoughts?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Donaire vs Rigondeaux Empty Re: Donaire vs Rigondeaux

Post by manos de piedra Wed 11 Jul 2012, 1:00 am

I wouldnt entirely agree. Rigondeaux is a bit of an odd case because of how late he turned pro. Hes almost 32 now so he has simly got to move fast if he wants to make money and achieve in the sport before his best years expire. I think he will need the big fights sooner rather than later if he wants to get the paydays.

He passed a tough test in only his 5th or 6th fight against Cordoba you have to remember. And hes become a champion quickly. I think the hype around him is largely justified and now as a world champion in only a handful of fights I think hes certainly qualified to face Donaire. Its a good division with the likes of Nishioka and Mares in it.

I dont really buy into the ducking arguments at the minute, but Ive been less impressed with Donaire since he has moved up to super bantam. I think this would be a good fight, regardless of who wins. I might prefer Rigondeaux to have a couple of higher level fights before Donaire as it stands now but its a fight I would really like to see late next year maybe.

Donaires opposition has been higher but hes been a pro far longer. I dont see Donaire being able to do what Froch did to Bute for instance.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 11 Jul 2012, 1:29 am

manos de piedra wrote:I wouldnt entirely agree. Rigondeaux is a bit of an odd case because of how late he turned pro. Hes almost 32 now so he has simly got to move fast if he wants to make money and achieve in the sport before his best years expire. I think he will need the big fights sooner rather than later if he wants to get the paydays.

He passed a tough test in only his 5th or 6th fight against Cordoba you have to remember. And hes become a champion quickly. I think the hype around him is largely justified and now as a world champion in only a handful of fights I think hes certainly qualified to face Donaire. Its a good division with the likes of Nishioka and Mares in it.

I dont really buy into the ducking arguments at the minute, but Ive been less impressed with Donaire since he has moved up to super bantam. I think this would be a good fight, regardless of who wins. I might prefer Rigondeaux to have a couple of higher level fights before Donaire as it stands now but its a fight I would really like to see late next year maybe.

Donaires opposition has been higher but hes been a pro far longer. I dont see Donaire being able to do what Froch did to Bute for instance.

thumbsup

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Jul 2012, 8:15 am

i'm with manos too on this one, however, i expect a more robust defence to come shortly from mackem...

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down