The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Final: Federer v Murray

+26
mystiroakey
Jewell_Of_East
reckoner
super_realist
John Cregan
theslosty
Calder106
sirfredperry
CAS
Super D Boon
Leff
socal1976
Jahu
Danny_1982
sugarNspikes
Thomond
User 774433
invisiblecoolers
laverfan
CaledonianCraig
banbrotam
Henman Bill
Duty281
Josiah Maiestas
luciusmann
bogbrush
30 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Who's going to be the 2012 champion?

Wimbledon Final: Federer v Murray Vote_lcap73%Wimbledon Final: Federer v Murray Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 24 ]
Wimbledon Final: Federer v Murray Vote_lcap27%Wimbledon Final: Federer v Murray Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 33

Wimbledon Final: Federer v Murray Empty Wimbledon Final: Federer v Murray

Post by bogbrush Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:50 pm

Ok, I got this in first!

I can't make a forecast as I'm not rational on the subject, but fire away!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Final: Federer v Murray Empty Re: Wimbledon Final: Federer v Murray

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:53 pm

No brainer....Murrrrraaaayyyyyy.

Nah just kidding.

Fed in 3/4.

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:54 pm

Probably Federer in 4 sets. Fed has won all their slam encounters and has a proven track record in the past & during this Wimbledon of dealing with immense pressure, noticeably handling it better than Djokovic. Murray could make it 5 but Fed has experience of winning Wimbledon in tough 5 setters, his last 3 Wimbledon final appearance have all been 5 setters!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:56 pm

6-2 7-5 4-6 6-4 GSM Federer!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeease
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Jul 2012, 6:57 pm

Murray is a better player than he was when the two played in OZ.

Federer is worse than he was.

I think it's 50:50

If Murray can deal with the expectations I think he can take this.

I hope i'm wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:05 pm

Murray in 5!

Rule Britannia
Britannia rules the waves!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:05 pm

emancipator wrote:Murray is a better player than he was when the two played in OZ.

Federer is worse than he was.

I think it's 50:50

If Murray can deal with the expectations I think he can take this.

I hope i'm wrong

The expectations will be a lot. Murray maybe a better player now but don't know if that will enough to dispatch Fed on the big stage of grand slams. Fed also beat him those 2 times pretty comfortably, so it may not be as comfortable for Fed this time but 4 or maybe 5 sets. Fed has proven he can beat the World No.1. I think he can make the final step and beat the World No.4.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:08 pm

Could go either way but I'd lean Fed. I can see a couple of areas where he might have the edge.

Mental/emotional
AND
2nd serve

By the way, this could be the decider in the Fed - Murray rivalry if you fancy a cute sub plot.

If Federer wins
TOTAL Fed 8 - Murray 8
Slams Fed 3 - Murray 0

If Murray wins
TOTAL Fed 7 - Murray 9
Slams Fed 2 - Murray 1
with Murray having the confidence to go on from there as Fed gets

Fed is also 6-0 in sets in slams against Murray, all in finals.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:50 pm

luciusmann wrote:[The expectations will be a lot

I'm not certain about this. I think Murray, given his form coming into this event and the way he has played the pressure points so for, will be more than happy to be there. If it was against Nole or Rafa, then yes there's pressure - simply because we would all argue they're the same age and so when will he beat them

Fed's different and I was a bit surprised that he commented about how much is at stake for him. Might be a ploy, but normally he plays the expectations down

I also think the fact that Murray beat Fed in two consecutive Masters finals in 2010, makes this a totally different mindset

Plus our ignorant fans, think that Federer always wins slams, so will make Murray the underdog

If Fed's serve is even slightly off, for me the best returner in Tennis will make it very interestign

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:53 pm

My view is the key will be Murrays serve. I don't think it's news to anyone that Murrays 2nd serve is a liability Federer will be looking to exploit.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:55 pm

For me it is all about how Andy approaches the match. Too cagey/passive and a loss in the first set and it could all go away from him pretty quickly. However, if he wins even one of the first two sets then he will get a massive injection of self-belief as it would be his first set won in a slam final and the match may then became a more physical encounter. Federer will be feeling that the hard work was won today so he needs to guard against his own complacency.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 06 Jul 2012, 7:56 pm

IMVHO, the first set is the key. If Federer wins the first set, he wins the match.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:01 pm

laverfan wrote:IMVHO, the first set is the key. If Federer wins the first set, he wins the match.
I think it matters more to Murray, Federer has one everything before, he knows what it takes. After all, he's already come from two back this event.

Andy has looked a very good front runner this event but under pressure hasn't looked anywhere near as happy - not slating him, just saying.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:10 pm

bogbrush wrote:Andy has looked a very good front runner this event but under pressure hasn't looked anywhere near as happy - not slating him, just saying.

Yeah but the fact is Andy always has lull's and actually hasn't looked that good in all his matches at the start. He got broke by Karlovic of all players in his first game and went a break down to Cilic

And have you forgotten that he was on the backfoot against Ferrer for the most of two hours?

No. Andy has the age old problem of being a poor starter and was lucky today that he was meeting someone nearly as bad as him, so I actually expect Fed to win the first set. The key will be then whether Murray can get back into it, but serving well etc

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:32 pm

Too tough to call, the two current best grass court players contesting the finals.

I am too nervous to vote again and would be happy to stick with just comments.

Unless Fed brings his A-game again, I see Andy in 4. Andy is too good a form and won't make it easy for Fed by any means.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:35 pm

http://www.sportpulse.net/content/murray-sets-date-destiny-federer-wimbledon-final-3938

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:36 pm

Given that Murray hasn't won a single set in any of their grand slam finals, the first set is certainly more crucial for Murray than Fed. You can easily see Fed going the distance in a Wimbledon final and winning it in 5 (like he did to Roddick). Fed's last 3 Wimbledon finals have all gone to 5 sets in 2007, 2008 & 2009. Fed knows what to expect and can pull it off.

Murray the best returner in the game? Are you being serious Banbrotam? I thought most of us thought that was Djokovic? Yet being considered one of the best returner wasn't enough for him today. Murray poses less danger for Fed than Tsonga might have from a mental perspective because Murray will be keenly aware that he's not taken a single set off Fed. Let's not forget that Djokovic like Murray are both excellent hard court players, not many have considered them as good on grass. Fed and his grass court credentials need no discussion, he's considered one of the best. After all, you need to be to be the only man to reach 8 Wimbledon finals.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:36 pm

Continuing on from the other thread I like Murray as a player but find it difficult to support him as he is one British, and two because I don't like all the coverage he gets in the media. Hype may have been the wrong word but I don't like how the media always focus on him when talking about tennis. It just annoyd me a bit and I find it hard to back him for that reason. I don't like how it's all about Murray.

The BBC were talking about him all the time. Apologies if I have aggravated some. Don't frequent the tennis boards often but might be best if I leave them.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

Thomond wrote:Continuing on from the other thread I like Murray as a player but find it difficult to support him as he is one British, and two because I don't like all the coverage he gets in the media. Hype may have been the wrong word but I don't like how the media always focus on him when talking about tennis. It just annoyd me a bit and I find it hard to back him for that reason. I don't like how it's all about Murray.

The BBC were talking about him all the time. Apologies if I have aggravated some. Don't frequent the tennis boards often but might be best if I leave them.

Now you're onto something Wink

But remember;-

1) The Beeb no very little about Tennis and hence wet themselves over Murray and think that he plus the slam winners are the only players around. They get things horribly wrong and have been worse than ever at this event. Ironically Pat Cash remains their saving grace (it's taken them all day to realise that Fed's pretty good indoors, which Cash pointed out) with even JP McEnroe spouting rubbish at times

2) The red top / ITV media of this world are also full of rubbish - either way

3) Go to the The Times, Guardian or Telegraph for better insight or Peter Fleming on Sky or JIm Courier when he summarises

And remember, Murray doesn't ask for all this so it shouldn't influence your liking of him

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:45 pm

I like him as a player just won't support him!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:46 pm

Thomond wrote:I like him as a player just won't support him!

I think that's allowed!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:49 pm

Thomond wrote:I like Murray as a player but find it difficult to support him as he is one British, and two because I don't like all the coverage he gets in the media.
I can understand you being a bit annoyed by the media frenzy, but what's wrong with him being British?

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:54 pm

I'm Irish can't really support British national teams or players, or at least I'm not supposed to. It's part of the whole history thing.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 06 Jul 2012, 8:58 pm

Thomond wrote:I'm Irish can't really support British national teams or players, or at least I'm not supposed to. It's part of the whole history thing.
Get behind Murray (if you like him as a player) and forget all the history balderdash! I guess Fed's advantage is the Swiss don't seem to have a 'history thing' like the British Wink

I just hope it's a great final and would love to see Murray do it. I agree with those who say Murray needs to start well to be in with a chance.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:00 pm

I prefer Federer though! Won't be watching it live anyway. Cork are playing in Gaelic Football and I'm heading to it. Then a soccer match later on. Will have to wait for Sunday night or Monday!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:01 pm

Thomond wrote:I prefer Federer though! Won't be watching it live anyway. Cork are playing in Gaelic Football and I'm heading to it. Then a soccer match later on. Will have to wait for Sunday night or Monday!
Ah, well that's fair enough then Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:13 pm

Murray AGAIN had wonderful stats on his second serve. 64% points won on his second delivery. He is averaging that exact number for the whole tournament.

Has anyone noticed anything different about the delivery? I mean, he seems to be hitting it a bit deeper, but it doesn't seem that different to justify such a huge leap from previous tournaments and slams. It's not like he's had a simple draw either, he's played some tough players.

An I missing something? Has anyone else noticed a significant change?

I saw a Murray interview the other day in which he said he was practicing his serve LESS because Lendl thought he practiced it too much, and a looser shoulder would reap dividends.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:09 pm

Fed in 4, and that 1 set for Andy will be given by Fed so Andy at least can have 1 set out of 4 GS finals.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:15 pm

Danny, I think in both his last two matches he played guys with no idea how to take on a second serve; Ferrer isn't inclined to bash it and JWT just thrashed it recklessly.
I do expect Federer to do that very threatening thing where he dances around it to crush the forehand; it doesn't win everything but it puts a lot of pressure on.

I thought his first was very good though.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

Yeah I see fed the bigger server the more experienced player having the edge in the wimbeldon final. All the pressure is really on Murray his the one who has yet to make his bones. I think Fed is going to have his grandslam moment that many have been waiting for the last 2 and half years.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 06 Jul 2012, 11:21 pm

I certainly think the player who serves better will win.

Federer is obviously the favourite, but Murray will know that if he plays near the top of his game he has a great chance.

Being the big favourite doesn't always work out, as we found out in the first semi today. Here's hoping for a great match anyway.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:09 am

All pressure on Murray. Much as I wish for Andy to win (not really), I think he will be too nervous to stroke the ball freely.

I don't think 7th Wimby is a such a big deal for Fed. After all, he already owns the record for most majors.

If Fed plays like he did today in a decisive manner, Murray has a slim chance.

My prediction: Fed will win in straight sets.

I am guessing Roger will announce his retirement at the US Open. I think winning 7th Wimbledon will be a nice ending to a remarkable career. I like happy endings.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:26 am

I am feeling very smug tonight. I predicted this would be the final!

As for the result, difficult to go against Federer unless he somehow plays well beneath himself.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:28 am

Duty281 wrote:Murray in 5!

Rule Britannia
Britannia rules the waves!

In two years Murray will be part of an independent Scotland. Get in there while you can I suppose.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:49 am

Leff wrote:

My prediction: Fed will win in straight sets.

I am guessing Roger will announce his retirement at the US Open. I think winning 7th Wimbledon will be a nice ending to a remarkable career. I like happy endings.

Same here I love fairy tale endings too, I want Fed to win Wimbledon , Olympics and USO and end the year as no.1 and retire peacefully and happily. After all he deserves on for the great happiness, satisfaction he has given to all his and tennis fans. Yahoo

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sat 07 Jul 2012, 12:55 am

Super D Boon wrote:I am feeling very smug tonight. I predicted this would be the final!

As for the result, difficult to go against Federer unless he somehow plays well beneath himself.

This was my dream final, I felt it was too good to be true but I guess dreams can come true!

These two haven't played on grass before but Dubai is one of the fastest surfaces and that went to Fed in straight sets and the other match was @ the WTF back in 2010 which went to Fed too but was importantly indoors. Thus if the roof is closed, I think Fed will probably win in straight sets. If open, I think Murray could stretch the match to 4. After playing rather passively in the two grand slam finals they been in, I think Murray will want to come out firing on all cylinders and then he might stand a chance.

It is strange though, I think the consensus is that Murray's best surface is hard court not grass. Yet many think he stands a good chance. The fact he's in the final suggest that but it was intriguing that Djokovic, who is also considered better on hard court has now lost to Federer having never played Fed on grass. Murray hasn't played Fed on grass either, this undoubtedly favours Federer because after 6 titles and 1 final, he's very comfortable on grass. As others said, first set is important for Murray, less so for Federer in a Wimbledon final. Also, I think Fed will raise his standard as necessary to win the title, I mean who can forget the final with Roddick when Fed was 1 set down and facing 3 sets points to give Roddick the 2nd set. I remember giving up and saying it was all over yet he did the most remarkable thing and came back and won!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:23 am

if the roof is closed I think Federer wins in 3 or 4 if roof is open....I think its 50/50

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:29 am

CAS wrote:if the roof is closed I think Federer wins in 3 or 4 if roof is open....I think its 50/50

Forecast is for sunshine and showers all day. They may decide to start play with the roof open if it's sunny but close it if it starts to rain after that.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 07 Jul 2012, 2:25 am

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Media/Videos/2012/07/Wimbledon/Wimbledon-2012-Friday2-Feature-Interview-Federer.aspx for anyone who hasn't seen it

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 07 Jul 2012, 7:11 am

Fed is favourite but that could help Andy. Imagine if he was playing someone outside the top four in the final - the pressure to be the first British Wimbledon champion since the Middle Ages would have been immense.
Fed, though, has the incentive of chalking up another GS and getting back to number one to overtake Sampras's weeks-at-the-top mark and set yet another record.
Defeat here will, in some ways, be easier to take for Murray as although it's another GS final loss, it is Wimbledon and he has cast 74 years of history aside by just getting to the final.
For me, Fed in three or four. This from the guy who predicted s-f wins for Djoko and JWT. Very Happy

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:24 am

My heart hopes it will be Murray but my head says it will be Federer. As with others on here Murray must not let Federer get off to a quick start if he is to have a chance. He has always had a lot of respect for Federer (while still wanting to beat him). Somehow he needs to put that and the enormity of the occasion aside for the duration of the match (yesterday after going 2-0 up against Tsonga he seemed to tighten up). It won't be easy. Hopefully Lendl can pass on some good advice to help him through.
So I'll go with my head and say Federer in 3 or 4.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:28 am

CAS wrote:if the roof is closed I think Federer wins in 3 or 4 if roof is open....I think its 50/50

Agree with this. Federer is a sensational indoor player

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:40 am

The match is on Roger's racket - despite Novak playing poorly, Fed was back to something near his best and I think when he plays like that the only one with a chance is Nadal (because of the match-up, mental block etc.)
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:51 am

Ok, can someone help.

On last evenings final point. The ball was called "out". Murray challenged and won the challenge. How come the point wasn't replayed?? Has the rule changed to allow the umpire award the point to Murray based on probability that Tsonga wouldn't have been able to get to hit it back anyway had it not been called out???

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

John Cregan wrote:Ok, can someone help.

On last evenings final point. The ball was called "out". Murray challenged and won the challenge. How come the point wasn't replayed?? Has the rule changed to allow the umpire award the point to Murray based on probability that Tsonga wouldn't have been able to get to hit it back anyway had it not been called out???

Murray hit a winner that was called out. In which case the point is won and not replayed.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

Found this which may help explain

http://www.ehow.com/list_6718020_tennis-rules-challenges.html

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:27 am

thumbsup

Cheers CC & 106,

It was an obvious call for the umpire to make seeing as it was a clear winner.................if it was a baseline rally stroke that was called out and challenged then it would have been a replayed point.................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:33 pm

Thomond wrote:I'm Irish can't really support British national teams or players, or at least I'm not supposed to. It's part of the whole history thing.

And there we have it. A prime example of idiotic Irish reasoning.

Grow up, history is in the past. If we all lived there, no country would like anyone due to history.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sat 07 Jul 2012, 1:54 pm

super_realist wrote:

And there we have it. A prime example of idiotic Irish reasoning.

Grow up, history is in the past. If we all lived there, no country would like anyone due to history.

Unfortunately it's not just Ireland - I was very surprised when I went up to Edinburgh at how many people cling to similar attitudes about the English because of rather selectively quoted "history". Same in any country I imagine - sad, really.

I should say obviously these attitudes are held by a hard of thinking minority - most people I met in Scotland were lovely.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewell_Of_East Sat 07 Jul 2012, 3:18 pm

Very easy for me. Federer likes coming out and playing fast and great in the first set. If a player does a roll-over for him, he builds a momentum. This is why Rafael Nadal is great against him, he never lets him run away with the 1st set and the match. He absorbs the onslaught and gets his own momentum. Murray needs to play like that.

Jewell_Of_East

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next