The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to make F1 better.....

+8
Ramilas1
Union Cane
theundisputedY2D2
cosicave
Fernando
Cheesehead United
Solerina
Adam D
12 posters

Go down

What do you think of these ideas?

How to make F1 better..... Vote_lcap38%How to make F1 better..... Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 6 ]
How to make F1 better..... Vote_lcap19%How to make F1 better..... Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
How to make F1 better..... Vote_lcap25%How to make F1 better..... Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 4 ]
How to make F1 better..... Vote_lcap18%How to make F1 better..... Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 16

How to make F1 better..... Empty How to make F1 better.....

Post by Adam D Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:51 am

I used to love F1 but am finding it increasingly frustrating.

Rule changes every season, the best drivers not necessarily winning due to not having the best car etc.

So I got myself thinking - what could be done to make the sport more fun and allowing us to see who actually is the best driver.

So here were the two ideas that I had:

Rain
1 Car

Okay let me explain.

Rain - In football and rugby, rain can often level the playing field. In F1 it also levels the advantage of certain cars and highlights the brilliance of the drivers. So how about launching more Grand Prix meetings in rainy climates and not in the the heat? No gaurantee it would rain, but it would certainly make things interesting!

1 Car - every championship team has the same basic car and can only marginally modify it. That way, no 1 developer discovers a advantage and its down to pure driving skill.

So would either of these suggestions actually make the sport more fun to watch again and finally get the most skillfull drivers winning?

Let me hear your ideas on improving a once great sport.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

How to make F1 better..... Empty Re: How to make F1 better.....

Post by Solerina Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:03 pm

One car for all teams.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:23 pm

Rain for me thumbsup

I love a wet race. Its adds another dimension and makes the races more exciting. The pre race strategies go out the window and the teams have to adapt quickly and it also shows off the skills of the drivers on a wet track.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Mon 11 Apr 2011, 12:38 pm

Have each car use the same engines and tyres. Then it is entirely down to the drivers who wins and loses.

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 11 Apr 2011, 2:06 pm

go round the track backwards Smile

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2011, 7:07 pm

Threat of rain with some rain but not a downpour. yeah I like that and the one car idea does seem good on first impression, isn't that how it all started out in the first place, one car one driver ?

I have noticed that races where there was some rain but then dried out and then came back again, really shook up the race and its leaders.

So if I can, I'll vote 2 + 3 thumbsup

I can't, so I voted 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:12 pm

Option 4 is a vote for both, with the added bonus of me as the new owner of F1 thumbsup

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cosicave Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:32 pm

Let the drivers do their job with less interference from their teams (fewer pit-stops) and less interference from the FIA (KERS and DRS are heavily over-restricted).

And for heaven's sake, leave rain to nature! Don't encourage Bernie to think his Sprinkler idea is any less daft than it is!
cosicave
cosicave

Back to top Go down

Post by cosicave Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:35 pm

One thing to add to my above comment: Fewer pit stops means no refuelling and proper tyres! The harder compound should always be capable of at least half race distance, with the softer compound being capable of approximately one third race distance.
cosicave
cosicave

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 11 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm

cosicave wrote:Let the drivers do their job with less interference from their teams (fewer pit-stops) and less interference from the FIA (KERS and DRS are heavily over-restricted).

And for heaven's sake, leave rain to nature! Don't encourage Bernie to think his Sprinkler idea is any less daft than it is!

Did he really consider that? Learn something everyday!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 2:03 pm

In an ideal world you'd say give all the drivers the exact same machinery but I can't see them going for that.

Bring back re-fuelling I say!

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 12 Apr 2011, 2:36 pm

They could standardise the way the driver's names are pronounced, then we wouldn't have DC giving it "Heidfield" and "V'Tell"
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:06 pm

Union Cane wrote:They could standardise the way the driver's names are pronounced, then we wouldn't have DC giving it "Heidfield" and "V'Tell"

Call them all Bob Flanjees. Can't go wrong.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramilas1 Wed 13 Apr 2011, 2:22 pm

Same car+engine for every driver - so where would the engine manufacturers fit in - Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari have their own teams and supply engines to others, only Cosworth supply engines alone.

Motor racing abounds with single marque series from Clio Cup to Ferrari Challenge series, as well as in single-seater racing up to the GP2 series just below F1.

Different locations searching for rain - Malaysia and Shanghai in April, Britain in July, Belgium in August, Brazil in November!!

Unless they head for the west coast of Ireland every month of the firkin' year they can't chase the rain much further!

Grand Prix of Cork, Kerry, Limerick or Galway anybody?

BTW, I voted for Option One Yahoo
Ramilas1
Ramilas1

Location : Warsaw, Poland; formerly Bracknell, Loughborough, Bordon, several others - and Ireland originally

Back to top Go down

Post by cosicave Thu 14 Apr 2011, 7:38 pm

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:In an ideal world you'd say give all the drivers the exact same machinery but I can't see them going for that.

Bring back re-fuelling I say!

Why? - Why bring back re-fuelling?

This seems directly opposed to your other statement of "exact same machinery", which I presume was made to help show the differences between drivers. To be consistent, surely you would have to be saying that an ideal world would see every refuelling pit-stop exactly equal for every car which, due to being exactly the same will be using the same amount of fuel too?

Extra pit-stops is the quickest way to undermine the contribution a driver can bring, simply because it places even more emphasis on the contribution of the team.
cosicave
cosicave

Back to top Go down

Post by cosicave Thu 14 Apr 2011, 7:40 pm

Hobo wrote:
cosicave wrote:Let the drivers do their job with less interference from their teams (fewer pit-stops) and less interference from the FIA (KERS and DRS are heavily over-restricted).

Did he really consider that? Learn something everyday!

Yes he did! - And as far as I know he still does!
cosicave
cosicave

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Thu 14 Apr 2011, 11:09 pm

Well personally I don't think they're bad ideas. However, my 2 ideas are better.

Rule 1. Mario Kart style items are allowed in the race. Watching Vettel beat Alonso through an apex is epic, but watching Vettel beat Alonso through an apex and watching him throw a turtle shell into his face afterwards is holy mother of awesomeness epic. Imagine the McClaren rivalry heated up by a banana skin that Button left, causing Hamilton to spin out and finish last? Invulnerability for Lotus and Hispania because they are always at the back? Yes please.

Rule 2. Bring in sudden death. Literally. After every 10 laps, the cars that are in the last 5 places will be destroyed by Robot Wars style 'House Robots', who wield flamethrowers to annihilate the slow and boring.

rate and appreciate.

Last edited by Stealth Maestro Agro Love on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Titch Sat 16 Apr 2011, 5:23 pm

Rain always shakes up a race. So I really hate to say this but Bernie was going in the right direction. Hobo may have to share F1 with him. But to make sure every race is a wet race, how about a river running across the track at every race.

Titch

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 18 Apr 2011, 2:00 pm

Bring back more classic race tracks, these tracks like Valencia and Singapore are horrible. A1 ring with a bit of renovating has far more prestige and worth to the calendar than these horrible Tilke designed tracks.

Bring refuelling back, really not enjoying the guys running 8-9 seconds off qualifying pace at the start.

Make the top 10 shootout a one lap run when it goes in reverse running order to who was slowest to fastest from the qualifiers from Q2.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:24 am

cosicave wrote:
Why? - Why bring back re-fuelling?

This seems directly opposed to your other statement of "exact same machinery", which I presume was made to help show the differences between drivers. To be consistent, surely you would have to be saying that an ideal world would see every refuelling pit-stop exactly equal for every car which, due to being exactly the same will be using the same amount of fuel too?

Extra pit-stops is the quickest way to undermine the contribution a driver can bring, simply because it places even more emphasis on the contribution of the team.

True enough, it was a tongue in cheek comment; more along the lines of the intrigue it brings with teams utilising different strategies, plus it's always entertaining to see them screw up a stop or take 20 seconds to get the fuel nozzle off the car Smile

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 27 Apr 2011, 4:04 pm

Rain undoubtedly makes for more interesting races, but the teams should be focusing on improving overtaking in the dry.

Secondly, making all teams use the same car would doubtless help settle the issue of exactly who is the best driver, but in the process F1 would lose one of the big elements that makes it so unique and fascinating. It'd be just like A1GP.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down