The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Ascot - Wednesday

3 posters

Go down

Royal Ascot - Wednesday Empty Royal Ascot - Wednesday

Post by sportform Wed 20 Jun 2012, 12:59 am

I had a much better start to Royal Ascot than Cheltenham with three winners going in in the shape of Frankel 1-10, Most Improved 9-1 and Dawn Approach 7-2. Olympic Glory followed Dawn Approach home in the Coventry Stakes at 20-1 for a good each way return and there were near misses in the final two races with both Al Khawaneej and Alhebayeb finished second.

Day two of the festival kicks of with the Jersey Stakes and Sentaril and Valbchek looking to continue their unbeaten starts to the season. Reply was third in the Irish 2000 Guineas and leads the Ballydoyle challenge but the one to be on could be the Roger Varian-trained ALJAMAAHEER who beat The Nile last time out having previously finished close up behind Gregorian. That form has worked at quite well with Gregorian a close third in the St James' Palace Stakes.

The Windsor Forest Stakes Group 2 race for Fillies and Mares in next up and has some decent types running in it. Emulous won the Matron Stakes in Ireland last season and could run a big race but NAHRAIN a Group 1 winner in France and a close second in the
Breeders Cup Fillies & Mares looks a genuine Group 1 performer and could be too good for these. Barefoot Lady always gives a decent account of herself and could be worth a look each way at around 20-1.

SO YOU THINK is the short priced favourite in the Prince Of Wales' Stakes. The Coolmore horse often finds one or two too good for him at the top level but I would be surprised if anything top class in running in this. Carlton House goes for the Queen and will surely be trained to run well here but it is yet to be seen whether this horse is a genuine Group 1 performer.

The Royal Hunt Cup is the first real big handicap of the week and there is plenty each way value to be had. Dimension looks to be the probably favourite for James Fanshawe and Johnny Murtagh while Rock Critic looks the pick of the Irish runners. Invisible Man won this in 2010 and was 3rd last and will surely give another good account of himself. Boom And Bust improved throughout 2011 culminating in winning the Totesport Mile at Glorious Goodwood but one that stands out for me is the Richard Hannon trained KING TORUS who looked a very good prospect as a two year old and could return to form here. He is too big at 33-1 to ignore.

The only two year old race of the day is the Queen Mary Stakes over 5f. The races looks a very open affair with Mironica, Upward Spiral and Graphic Guest leading the betting. The preference though is for Ed Dunlop's SHARAARAH who was runner up to Sandreamer on her debut in a decent maiden before winning impressively next time at Kempton.

The final race of the Wedneaday card in the Sandringham Handicap were ELECTRELANE looks the obvious choice. She finished runner up to Group 2 winner Laugh Out Loud at York in May before going on to win the German 1000 Guineas just over two weeks back. Hello Glory who finished 10 lengths behind Electrelane at York is sure to improve for that run and could be the danger.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Royal Ascot - Wednesday Empty Re: Royal Ascot - Wednesday

Post by racingnut Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

Good stuff Sportsville,sorry i havent been able to reply to your sterling efforts.Only seen two races yesterday and the first three today.Hopefully all back on track tomorrow.
Frankel was jaw dropping,i know he had nothing to prove against the rest but to double his superiority over his old nemesis Excelebration was something to behold.He is easily the best miler ive ever seen or even heard about.A ten furlong clash with Camelot would be tremendous but i rather think that Coolmore,like Juddmonte,want their charge retired unbeaten.
Thought the first two races today threw up two very unlucky losers in Sentaril and Chachamaidee.The former was given too much to do and the second is a real "madam" but she has tonnes of class,if she consents to get away level with the rest then a big pot awaits.
So You Think was different class in the feature event,ridden with a tad more restraint than last season,he seemed to round his race off better.Even money was a gift,couldnt stop myself. thumbsup

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:09 pm

I only had So You Think winning today. He won well in a quick time but I would have preferred him to have gone up against Frankel yesterday. I just feel So You Think can run the quicker splits. not sure he would have beat Frankel but he would have surely tested him more.

I agree about Coolmore not wanting Frankel beat. Being by Galileo he is probably worth more unbeaten to them. I did note yesterday on another forum that Ballydoyle ran 12 horses against Sea The Stars after his 2000 Guineas win but have only ran 3 against Frankel since his classic win.

Frankel is definitely the best miler ever but needs to prove versatile over distances and beat some beat opposition to be the best horse ever.

I thought Dawn Approach looked good too in the Coventry.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu 21 Jun 2012, 10:51 am

Coolmore owns Camelot.
Juddmonte have Frankel.

So why would Coolmore not want Frankel beaten ?
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Thu 21 Jun 2012, 12:22 pm

SetupDeterminesTheMotion wrote:Coolmore owns Camelot.
Juddmonte have Frankel.

So why would Coolmore not want Frankel beaten ?
Coolmore own Frankel's sire Galileo. So Frankel's success can only increase his value too.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu 21 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

OK
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

Re: Galileo etc.

It is said that the modern day thoroughbred originated more or less from three stallions brought to England in the late 17th century / early 18th century.

I am wondering just what percentage of the current thoroughbreds can trace themselves to Sadler Wells / Galileo.

It is said that Frankel's net worth at stud will be about £100 million. Just how many offspring does that translate to?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down