The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread

+30
Artful_Dodger
grannyfromross
GLove39
Alba gu brath
flyhalffactory
timhen
rodders
Pal Joey
Scot Abroad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ChequeredJersey
R!skysports
Biltong
QuickBall
alive555
Manky-Flanker
Tattie Scones RRN
TJ1
George Carlin
NeilyBroon
formerly known as Sam
Cryptoyourisan
KickAndChase
funnyExiledScot
nickj
RDW
RuggerRadge2611
alexgmacdonald
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
34 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who Will Win?

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap36%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 9 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 10 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 4 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 25

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:11 am

First topic message reminder :

Content from Kick and Chase

Can Scotland do the unthinkable and make it 3 from 3 down under? Here's when to watch:

Saturday 23rd June, 2012 15:30 WST, 03:30 BST
Friday 22nd June 22:30 EST ()
Apia Park, Apia - capital of Samoa
Capacity: 15,000
Current forecast for Saturday: Sunny, 22C/72F, 20mph winds

Andy Robinson keeps the 15 largely unchanged, with one forced and two unforced changes. Richie Vernon comes in for John Barclay who has left to arrange his wedding. Chris Cusiter has been 'rewarded' by Andy Robinson with his first start on tour at the expense of Mike Blair, who is likely to now start on the bench. Sean Lamont comes in to directly replace Max Evans at 14, preferred for his physicality.

**Scotland bench and Samoa squad to be updated here later in the week.**

Scotland Squad:

1 Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors) 2 caps
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) 60 caps, 2 tries, 10 points CAPTAIN
3 Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons) 46 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
4 Richie Gray (Sale Sharks) 23 caps, 1 try, 5 points
5 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors) 43 caps, 1 try, 5 points
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan) 27 caps, 1 try, 5 points
7 Ross Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby) 18 caps
8 Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks) 19 caps

9 Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors) 61 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) 9 caps, 2 tries, 6 conversions, 14 penalties, 64 points
11 Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby) 1 cap, 2 tries, 10 points
12 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) 3 caps
13 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby) 35 caps, 1 try, 5 points
14 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) 67 caps, 8 tries, 40 points
15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) 6 caps, 1 try, 5 points

Replacements : S Lawson (London Irish), G Cross (Edinburgh), T Ryder (Glasgow), R Harley (Glasgow), M Blair (Brive), D Weir (Glasgow), M Evans (Castres)

Samoa team 15 Fa’atoina Autagavai (Vailoa); 14 Paul Perez (Vaimoso), 13 Fautua Otto (Bristol), 12 Paul Williams (Stade Francais), 11 David Lemi (Glasgow Warriors) CAPTAIN; 10 Tusi Pisi (Hurricanes), 9 Kahn Fotuali’I (Ospreys);

1 Sakaria Taulafo (Wasps), 2 Ti’i Paulo (Clermont-Auvergne), 3 Census Johnston (Stade Toulouse), 4 Fa’atiga Lemalu (Papatoetoe), 5 Daniel Crichton (Counties Manukau), 6 Ben Masoe (Papatoetoe), 7 Maurie Fa’asavalu (Harlequins), 8 Kane Thompson (Waikato Chiefs)

Subs: 16 Wayne Ole Avei (Bordeaux Begles), 17 Logovi’i Mulipola (Leicester Tigers), 18 Joe Tekori (Castres), 19 Afa Aioni (Marist), 20 Jeremy Sua (Tasman), 21 Ki Anufe (Marist), 22 Lolo Lui (Moata’a)

Who's up for this one, then?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread

Post by nickj Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:48 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I honestly don't believe that Robinson does not trust or rate players like Weir, Harley, Dunbar or McInally, it's simply that he is desperate to wrack up three wins to restore some faith in his coaching of this group of players at international level. My hope is that these youngsters are buying into the 'success' that has been achieved by the group, even tho they may only have been involved on the training field. Personally, I would have worried slightly less about three wins and pitched this as a developmental tour with extra mid-week games, but that's not how it has been used

Completely agree ASBO. The whole focus of the tour changed following our poor showing in the 6N's and the loss of the Waratahs game.

I am also convinced, as I've said before, that Robinson is petrified of blooding too many young players at once following his involvement in England's 'tour of hell'.

However the fact we have a new prop, a new 12 and a newish 7, 10, 12, 11 and 15 axis may suggest otherwise.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread

Post by TJ1 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

Weir was on the bench for a couple of 6N games, got no game time and was then dropped from the bench for Jackson, He went back to Glasgow and took a few games to get back to his best.

I simply see no point in taking Weir unless he plays.

We shall see in the fullness of time - good points above tho for sure and its tricky tour and squad to get the balance of consolidating an inexperienced team and giving others experience.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:02 pm

Can't remember who mentioned this earlier but they got it spot on.

This isn't about development, this is about Robindon getting three wins and papering over his poor coaching performance over the last couple of years.

Weir, Dunbar, McInally et al are there for injury cover only and will not play a part in next weeks game (i.e.start)

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:44 pm

TJ wrote:Weir can feel aggrieved - Robinson clearly does not trust him or rate him.

should have had some significant game time by now

I disagree. At no stage in the last 12 months has his club form merited a start. Laidlaw should have started and played through the 6 Nations and continued to start on this tour. At the moment, Weir is second choice, so the correct place for him is on the bench. He should not have been dropped for Jackson during the 6 Nations however, that was a poor decision, but until he plays better for Glasgow than Laidlaw does for Edinburgh, then it's the bench for Weir.

He should certainly have toured though. Great experience being out there and training with the squad (plus who else was there?), and whilst it's a shame the Tahs game was cancelled (he'd surely have started that), if the match situation permits it he should get some time against Samoa.

He shouldn't start though. Laidlaw is playing too well, and we want to allow the newly installed midfield a chance to play together and grow as a unit.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:45 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
TJ wrote:Weir can feel aggrieved - Robinson clearly does not trust him or rate him.

should have had some significant game time by now

I disagree. At no stage in the last 12 months has his club form merited a start. Laidlaw should have started and played through the 6 Nations and continued to start on this tour. At the moment, Weir is second choice, so the correct place for him is on the bench. He should not have been dropped for Jackson during the 6 Nations however, that was a poor decision, but until he plays better for Glasgow than Laidlaw does for Edinburgh, then it's the bench for Weir.

He should certainly have toured though. Great experience being out there and training with the squad (plus who else was there?), and whilst it's a shame the Tahs game was cancelled (he'd surely have started that), if the match situation permits it he should get some time against Samoa.

He shouldn't start though. Laidlaw is playing too well, and we want to allow the newly installed midfield a chance to play together and grow as a unit.

+1 (unsurprisingly Wink )

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:49 pm

I agree with everything FES has said. Weir hasn't done enough to convince me that he is a better option than Laidlaw at 10.

As I said I would like to see them play Laidlaw at 9 and Weir at 10 Vs Tonga in the AI's with the rest of the 1st choice backline and see what happens.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:01 pm

That's no a bad idea. Good chance to use the Tonga game to take a look as some alternatives. Perhaps go back to the Weir, Scott and Grove midfield that did so well against England A and give them another shot, but with Visser, Ansbro and Brown as a back three with Dunbar on the bench as cover.

Could also be a good game to give Gilchrist some time, if only from the bench.

Problem is we may well be on the back of two defeats after playing NZ and South Africa, so Robinson may well stick with his preferred XV to try and win the game.

Personally I think the backs I've suggested above are perfectly capable.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Problem is we may well be will be on the back of two defeats after playing NZ and South Africa, so Robinson may well stick with his preferred XV to try and win the game.

Fixed that for you! Wink

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:05 pm

Shiver me Timbers!

First ASBO has become a storm crow now RDW!!! Is this stuff contagious?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

A what?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:09 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:That's no a bad idea. Good chance to use the Tonga game to take a look as some alternatives. Perhaps go back to the Weir, Scott and Grove midfield that did so well against England A and give them another shot, but with Visser, Ansbro and Brown as a back three with Dunbar on the bench as cover.

Could also be a good game to give Gilchrist some time, if only from the bench.

Problem is we may well be on the back of two defeats after playing NZ and South Africa, so Robinson may well stick with his preferred XV to try and win the game.

steam That's the kind of negative thinking that will keep Scotland in the union!! Wink

Anyhew, agree with Radge and fES, Tonga presents a useful opportunity to look at alternatives. My worry would be what would happen in the event of injury to Laidlaw - we're stuck with a choice of rhubarb, whose form hasn't been up to standard as of late and has a dozen caps, and meatball, with 5 nano-seconds of international level rugby Shocked

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

Not sure that predicting defeat to the two best teams in the world qualifies you as a storm crow.

I predicted we'd lose to both Australia and Fiji - surely I get to be one as well!

I also predicted we'd beat Samoa, so if my track record is anything to go by, watch out Scotland!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

Twitter account says there'll be team news later this afternoon.....not sure if that's the actual team or just an update.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

Considering Robinson gets a lot of (justified) criticism for being inconsistent in his selection, I think it makes sense for him to try and keep Blair-Laidlaw-Scott together. Blair leaving for France could screw that up slightly. I don't think gifting Weir caps for experience just in case Laidlaw is injured really follows.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

Cryptoyourisan wrote:Considering Robinson gets a lot of (justified) criticism for being inconsistent in his selection, I think it makes sense for him to try and keep Blair-Laidlaw-Scott together. Blair leaving for France could screw that up slightly. I don't think gifting Weir caps for experience just in case Laidlaw is injured really follows.
Crypto, I think you're probably right - the opportunity was there for the Fiji game imo, but has passed now on this tour.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:37 pm

I thought he should have brought all the subs on after Visser's 2nd try - we'd won the game and there was at least 5 mins left.

Instead he waited til the last minute and Ryder didn't touch the ball and Weir did one kick....

I'm sure he said in an interview that he thought there was 5 mins left when the ref only played 1, but not so sure about that.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

In his defence the game was played in something akin to the Wilderness. With black and white TV coverage, barmy South African commentators and dugouts that looked very "retro"
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:47 pm

Reckon they had a TMO?? Probably sitting in a hut on the beach somewhere drinking cocktails.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:49 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Reckon they had a TMO?? Probably sitting in a hut on the beach somewhere drinking cocktails.

Couldn't really blame them for that....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:51 pm

"Sorry ref, I can't pass comment on whether the ball was grounded or not - my screen was showing an advert for Brazil against Argentina at the time!"

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Not sure that predicting defeat to the two best teams in the world qualifies you as a storm crow.

I predicted we'd lose to both Australia and Fiji - surely I get to be one as well!

I also predicted we'd beat Samoa, so if my track record is anything to go by, watch out Scotland!
By that rationale, Bennett should turn out to be even better than we imagined. Love it. Ok!
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

Highlights from U20 JWC Scotland vs Italy: http://www.irb.com/jwc/video/index.html?videoid=2062996 - Bennett creates both of Farndale's tries with two great breaks (but seems to imagine someone else is covering his player as he takes the man outside for Italy's effort!)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:05 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Having re-watched the Fiji match, I have two areas of concern:

1. Rucks - we seemed a little passive imo, not hitting them with the same numbers, the same passion or the same precision, so too often for my liking the breakdown was more of a lottery than it should have been - we must keep to the NH virtue of winning the breakdown contest (in addition to the set piece) - that will secure us possession and I think we can do (will need to do) better than the 57% we achieved vs Fiji when we take on Samoa. We also conceded 9 penalties in the match, a number of which were at the breakdown area;

2. Tackling - we went from a tackles made/missed ratio of 141/3 against Australia, a far more potent team than Fiji, to a 57/17 ratio in Lautoka - I suspect that Samoa will punish us far more than Fiji if we repeat that display. First up tackles against big Islanders are essential, preferably wrapping up the ball with the man to stop the offload - I hope that we have been working on that this week, altho with Steadman gone and Matt Taylor yet to join, I wonder who is organising the defensive patterns?

Braveheart

I've thought of another one, and it is in some ways related to both the above:

3. Ball retention - we must keep the ball away from the Samoans as much as possible; without possession, they can impose their broken play style of game, and that is where the Islanders have the potential to hurt us - so ball retention, keep structure in the game, offloading only where it is definitely on, etc. all are critical to our success on Saturday imo

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

Harley could help us achieve all of the above IMO

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

nickj wrote:Harley could help us achieve all of the above IMO
I would have thought so, poss Ryder too, nick?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Vernon also looks nailed on

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 19 Jun 2012, 6:48 pm

Scotland Team to face Samoa - changes in bold:

1. Grant
2. Ford (C)
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch
7. Rennie
8. Vernon
9. Cusiter
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. De Luca
14. Lamont
15. Hogg

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 19 Jun 2012, 6:52 pm

Subs to be confirmed later in the week (I think AR must be doing this to continue competition for places in training).

Cusiter for Blair is perhaps a surprising change to some, but I think it's a good idea to give Cusiter a full start ahead of what looks to be a changing of the guard. I just can't see Blair competing if he's not playing pro rugby. Both have different strengths but are about equal at the moment based on last week's showing.

Vernon we knew about.

Lamont brought in on the wing instead of Ansbro - looks like I did speak too soon when I spelled the end for Sean Lamont. Probably brought in for his physicality and tackling, whilst Max Evans looked off the mark last week trying to go through Fijians. S Lamont a) might actually do this b) is accomplished at coming off the wing, whilst Visser seems too shy to do this on his debut tour (not a problem) c) has been known to tackle PIs hard.

I've no problem with the squad - after the tour is over we might wonder if we could have given some other new caps along the way , though .. must do better next time in terms of tour management (ie lining up the appropriate matches).

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 19 Jun 2012, 6:57 pm

Full report plus videos of AR and Schlong here : http://www.scotlandrugbyteam.org/content/view/3113/2/

AR confirms that Vernon is just to do with the wedding, Cusiter is a reward for his good off-the-bench performances and Schlong is brought in for his 'power'.

On another note, Schlong says he enjoys playing against the Pacific Islanders and seems to really mean it, so I think it was probably a good move. Have to hope Ansbro is on the bench though.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue 19 Jun 2012, 6:59 pm

Was hoping Ryder would make the team. Hopefully he gets on the pitch for more than a few minutes this time, likewise for Harley.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:03 pm

Well found, Kick:

Apia Park on Saturday 23 June, kick-off 3.30pm local time (3.30am BST)

10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) 9 caps, 2 tries, 6 conversions, 14 penalties, 64 points

Another kick off at Bonkers O'Clock.

Strokosch clearly retained for his biff.

The Ruck Inspector by far the luckiest to keep his place. I really hope that Ryder gets at least 40 minutes, which judging by reports that the temperature will be 5 degrees C hotter than in Fiji, he probably will.

Hope that Murray makes it but I'm not sure that he'll last a full 80 with a wobbly knee.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:09 pm

Cheers George used that info for the stickie thread Wink

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:10 pm

KickAndChase wrote:Scotland Team to face Samoa - changes in bold:

1. Grant
2. Ford (C)
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Strokosch
7. Rennie
8. Vernon
9. Cusiter
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. De Luca
14. Lamont
15. Hogg
Aha, furry muff, not quite what I would have gone with, but no major issues with the selection. Cusiter does seem to be in slightly better form than Blair, and his somewhat more competitive style should suit playing the Samoans. Vernon is a wasted pick for me - in theory his pace should be to the fore on the hard surfaces, but having seen him dumped on his backside in the prem thru'out the last year, he doesn't inspire me at all as our carrying option. Perhaps McInally is completely untested at this level, but he's a stronger carrier option to me. Think Ansbo brings a little more creativity than Schlong, but the latter is arguably the power choice.

Think the bench will be interesting - probably S Lawson, Cross, Ryder, Harley/McInally, Blair, Weir & Ansbro/Brown

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread - Page 2 Empty Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:37 pm

Content from Kick and Chase

Can Scotland do the unthinkable and make it 3 from 3 down under? Here's when to watch:

Saturday 23rd June, 2012 15:30 WST, 03:30 BST
Friday 22nd June 22:30 EST (Very Happy)
Apia Park, Apia - capital of Samoa
Capacity: 15,000
Current forecast for Saturday: Sunny, 22C/72F, 20mph winds

Andy Robinson keeps the 15 largely unchanged, with one forced and two unforced changes. Richie Vernon comes in for John Barclay who has left to arrange his wedding. Chris Cusiter has been 'rewarded' by Andy Robinson with his first start on tour at the expense of Mike Blair, who is likely to now start on the bench. Sean Lamont comes in to directly replace Max Evans at 14, preferred for his physicality.

**Scotland bench and Samoa squad to be updated here later in the week.**

Scotland Squad:

Who's up for this one, then?!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:39 pm

Guys,

Kick and chase has helped make a sticky thread here

https://www.606v2.com/t31291-samoa-v-scotland-teams-build-up-live-match-thread

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:47 pm

visser is already the 3rd equal joint try scorer whoopee ! guinness

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:51 pm

Ooft - and when you see that the others are Laidlaw (9 caps) and front row players - that's pretty poor!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:54 pm

He's currently outscoring De Luca at a rate of 70:1 and Lamont at a rate of about 17:1 ...

But then again he's also outscoring Hogg at a rate of 12:1 Wink

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:55 pm

Are we all going to be awake for this one too lads? Last time was a good craic

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

I would if it was on TV, but not looking promising. The SRU Twitter feed said they were looking at it but nothing as of yet.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I would if it was on TV, but not looking promising. The SRU Twitter feed said they were looking at it but nothing as of yet.

Oh really? That's awful.

If you all pay £30 to me I'll travel over myself with a handheld - it'll be better than last week's coverage anyhow.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:09 pm

Just seen that some TV station is covering Fiji V Tonga - and no one can be bothered doing Scotland V Samoa - two top ten nations

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:21 pm

That is absolutely appalling if that's true.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:23 pm

Saw it on Biltongbeks thread showing off about SA rugby coverage

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:01 pm

Not really surprised by the team.

Disappointed for Ryder and Harley. The interesting selections were always going to be the bench. I do hope Ryder and Harley make the bench, and I'd like to see Dunbar at some stage as well.

Shame no-one is showing it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:04 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Think the bench will be interesting - probably S Lawson, Cross, Ryder, Harley/McInally, Blair, Weir & Ansbro/Brown

Braveheart

That's quite a fence you're sitting on there.

Robinson: S Lawson, Cross, Ryder, Harley, Blair, Weir and Ansbro

My choice: S Lawson, Low, Ryder, Harley, Weir, Ansbro and Dunbar

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:10 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Highlights from U20 JWC Scotland vs Italy: http://www.irb.com/jwc/video/index.html?videoid=2062996 - Bennett creates both of Farndale's tries with two great breaks (but seems to imagine someone else is covering his player as he takes the man outside for Italy's effort!)

Good to hear he's been re-called and turned up in attack. That's a worrying comment you make on his defence though. He did that several times against Australia as well. I wondered whether it was the defensive system and there was supposed to be a covering man, but he's got to read the opposition attack better abd contribute in defence. Watching some tapes of NDL's defending this season would be a good place to start Whistle

Still, contrary to popular opinion, I do want this lad to fulfil his potential and become half the player ASBO already thinks he is (which would make him the greatest player of all time). We need all the attacking flair we can get.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:14 pm

Predicted bench from Robinson:

S Lawson, Cross, Ryder, Harley, Blair, Weir and Ansbro

My bench:

S Lawson, Low, Ryder, Harley, Weir, Ansbro and Dunbar

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:42 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Highlights from U20 JWC Scotland vs Italy: http://www.irb.com/jwc/video/index.html?videoid=2062996 - Bennett creates both of Farndale's tries with two great breaks (but seems to imagine someone else is covering his player as he takes the man outside for Italy's effort!)

Our number 8 made a couple of telling contributions on the highlight reel. Looks promising. Farndale also looks a promising finisher.

Our passing needs work though. Compared to how well the NZ side pass the ball, most of our passes seem to go behind the man. We need to get our kids running onto the ball.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 20 Jun 2012, 7:42 am

Interesting piece by Lorimer in the Herald:
FES - Mitch Eadie is yerman in the 8 shirt - sounds promising:

Scotland's Farndale leads try-scoring stakes in South Africa

Alan Lorimer

Jamie FarndalE, the Scotland under-20 wing, has emerged as the leading try-scorer in the IRB Junior World Championship in Cape Town, which concludes on Friday with the fifth and final round of the competition.

The Edinburgh Academicals player scored a brace against Italy on Sunday in the Scots' 34-17 victory and, with tries against Australia and France, he has hoisted his total of touchdowns to four for the tournament.

At 18, Farndale, who has played for the Scotland sevens team and who also has representative honours in the pentathlon, is the youngest player in the Scotland Under-20 squad and will still be eligible to play in two further Junior World Championships.

"I'd back Jamie to score when he gets the ball in a good position" said the Scotland Under-20 backs coach, Bryan Easson. "He works hard off his wing and gets the rewards. He's strong and fast, as he showed against Italy when he beat three defenders to score his second try."

Perhaps Farndale's most impressive score in the championship was against Australia when, against the run of play, he produced a superb try from intelligent tracking of the ball carrier across to his opposite wing to grab one of the Scots' two touchdowns in a 67-12 drubbing by the young Wallabies.

Farndale, however, is not a lone Scot in the order of merit. Second equal in the try- scoring table is Scotland's dynamic back-row, Mitch Eadie, who emulated Farndale's scoring feat against Italy by scoring two tries to bring his total in the tournament to three.

The Bristol-based Eadie is playing in his second IRB World Junior Championship having represented Scotland last year when the tournament was staged in Italy. In the 2011 championship, Eadie played in each of Scotland's five matches and if he is in the team to face Samoa on Friday in the play-off, then it will be a full house for the Bristolian.

The other Scotland player to claim a place in the championship table is the captain Harry Leonard. The Edinburgh stand-off has scored 32 points in four matches which puts him fourth on the points-scoring table.

Nineteen of these points were against France when he scored a try and kicked four penalties and a conversion in the Scots 29-30 defeat.

Another Scotland stand-off, Duncan Weir, remains fifth on the all-time points list with a total of 84 points, amassed over the 2010 and 2011 championships.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next