The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread

+30
Artful_Dodger
grannyfromross
GLove39
Alba gu brath
flyhalffactory
timhen
rodders
Pal Joey
Scot Abroad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ChequeredJersey
R!skysports
Biltong
QuickBall
alive555
Manky-Flanker
Tattie Scones RRN
TJ1
George Carlin
NeilyBroon
formerly known as Sam
Cryptoyourisan
KickAndChase
funnyExiledScot
nickj
RDW
RuggerRadge2611
alexgmacdonald
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
34 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Who Will Win?

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_lcap4%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_lcap36%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 9 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_lcap40%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 10 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_lcap0%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_lcap16%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 4 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_lcap0%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_lcap4%Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 25

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Empty Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:11 am

Content from Kick and Chase

Can Scotland do the unthinkable and make it 3 from 3 down under? Here's when to watch:

Saturday 23rd June, 2012 15:30 WST, 03:30 BST
Friday 22nd June 22:30 EST ()
Apia Park, Apia - capital of Samoa
Capacity: 15,000
Current forecast for Saturday: Sunny, 22C/72F, 20mph winds

Andy Robinson keeps the 15 largely unchanged, with one forced and two unforced changes. Richie Vernon comes in for John Barclay who has left to arrange his wedding. Chris Cusiter has been 'rewarded' by Andy Robinson with his first start on tour at the expense of Mike Blair, who is likely to now start on the bench. Sean Lamont comes in to directly replace Max Evans at 14, preferred for his physicality.

**Scotland bench and Samoa squad to be updated here later in the week.**

Scotland Squad:

1 Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors) 2 caps
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) 60 caps, 2 tries, 10 points CAPTAIN
3 Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons) 46 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
4 Richie Gray (Sale Sharks) 23 caps, 1 try, 5 points
5 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors) 43 caps, 1 try, 5 points
6 Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan) 27 caps, 1 try, 5 points
7 Ross Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby) 18 caps
8 Richie Vernon (Sale Sharks) 19 caps

9 Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors) 61 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
10 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) 9 caps, 2 tries, 6 conversions, 14 penalties, 64 points
11 Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby) 1 cap, 2 tries, 10 points
12 Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) 3 caps
13 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby) 35 caps, 1 try, 5 points
14 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) 67 caps, 8 tries, 40 points
15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) 6 caps, 1 try, 5 points

Replacements : S Lawson (London Irish), G Cross (Edinburgh), T Ryder (Glasgow), R Harley (Glasgow), M Blair (Brive), D Weir (Glasgow), M Evans (Castres)

Samoa team 15 Fa’atoina Autagavai (Vailoa); 14 Paul Perez (Vaimoso), 13 Fautua Otto (Bristol), 12 Paul Williams (Stade Francais), 11 David Lemi (Glasgow Warriors) CAPTAIN; 10 Tusi Pisi (Hurricanes), 9 Kahn Fotuali’I (Ospreys);

1 Sakaria Taulafo (Wasps), 2 Ti’i Paulo (Clermont-Auvergne), 3 Census Johnston (Stade Toulouse), 4 Fa’atiga Lemalu (Papatoetoe), 5 Daniel Crichton (Counties Manukau), 6 Ben Masoe (Papatoetoe), 7 Maurie Fa’asavalu (Harlequins), 8 Kane Thompson (Waikato Chiefs)

Subs: 16 Wayne Ole Avei (Bordeaux Begles), 17 Logovi’i Mulipola (Leicester Tigers), 18 Joe Tekori (Castres), 19 Afa Aioni (Marist), 20 Jeremy Sua (Tasman), 21 Ki Anufe (Marist), 22 Lolo Lui (Moata’a)

Who's up for this one, then?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Empty Re: Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:16 am

Scotland will not face some star names, but there are some sizable obstacles still to overcome (from ScotlandonSunday):

Scotland’s next opponents Samoa suffering internecine warfare

By IAIN MORRISON

THE SRU’s management was embroiled in accusations of drunkenness and misconduct during last year’s Rugby World Cup in New Zealand. I am, of course, referring to the Samoan Rugby Union.

A report by the World Cup captain Mahonri Schwalger, a hooker for the Waikato Chiefs Super 15 franchise, was sent to the prime minister of the country, Tuilaepa Sa’ilele Malielegaoi, who also doubles up as the chairman of the SRU. In it the national captain maintained that the Samoan officials were highly unprofessional, disappeared for days on end during drinking binges and treated the entire tournament as a holiday.

Instead of kick-starting the reforms that Schwalger insists are necessary, they shot the messenger instead. The World Cup captain was a notable absentee when the Samoan squad for the Pacific Nations Cup was released and the same players are in the frame for the match against Scotland in Apia on Saturday.

Samoa coach Stephen Betham insisted that the 33-year-old missed out because of his age but Schwalger, who has been in fine form in the Super 15 with the high-flying Chiefs this season, believed it was because he was too outspoken. “Age means nothing,” he said in response. “Selection should be based on performance.”

The hooker has said all along that he was all too aware that his report would cost him his place in the Samoan squad but argued that it was a sacrifice he was prepared to make for the overall good of Samoan rugby.

Schwalger also stated in a recent interview with a New Zealand paper that he had the backing of senior players such as Leicester favourite Alex Tuilagi and former Gloucester midfielder Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu.

Neither man appears in the latest Samoan squad and, in the case of the outspoken Fuimaono-Sapolu who accused Nigel Owens of “racism” after the Welshman refereed Samoa’s 13-5 defeat by South Africa, the International Rugby Board found themselves being dragged into the sorry mess.

Betham argued that he has been told from above not to pick the opinionated centre and hinted that the directive had come from the IRB’s offices in Dublin, which never seemed likely. The game’s governing body duly released a firm and full denial at which point Betham changed his tune a little.

“Eliota and his family have been saying quite a lot and I don’t think it would work even if I wanted to bring them back in,” said the coach. “I don’t think it will work after the things that were said to me.”

Schwalger now sees the Samoan prime minister (and SRU chairman) as the prime obstacle in the way of root and branch reform of the Samoan union so the former skipper has his sights set on the man at the top.

“If you’re going to make changes you’ve got to make sure the top is also changed – the chairman [Malielegaoi],” said the former Samoan skipper. “It’s pretty disappointing because this must be the only country that has a prime minister involved in running the sport.

“So there are battles we can’t win, but as long as we get it out there and hopefully the IRB can step in and help out. It is pretty sad to see our rugby being controlled by these guys who are pretty arrogant and not worried about what is best for the future of Samoan rugby. I’m not going to stop. I’m going to still try my best to get rid of these guys. I’m not going to walk away.”

It is an unedifying sight for Samoan rugby but no one inside the Scottish camp will complain too loudly at the absence of star names like Tuilagi and Fuimaono-Sapolu from the team they have to face on Saturday.

As it is, Samoa can still call upon the services of former Glasgow winger David Lemi, who scored one try against Fiji last weekend and set up another, George Pisi and the giant Johnston brothers, Census and James. No one said this tour was going to be easy.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread Empty Re: Samoa v Scotland: Teams, Build Up & Live Match Thread

Post by alexgmacdonald Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:36 am

I think Lamont will come back in to up the physicality for us. We'll probably see a lot of him and Visser coming inside and running some lines at the Samoan midfield.

I wouldnt mind Harley starting and tackling everything that moves but thats just me.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:39 am

alexgmacdonald wrote:I think Lamont will come back in to up the physicality for us. We'll probably see a lot of him and Visser coming inside and running some lines at the Samoan midfield.

I wouldnt mind Harley starting and tackling everything that moves but thats just me.
Possibly, altho with Ansbro fit again, we could have a 3-way battle for the 'other' wing slot?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:30 am

For me we have to consider who we are playing.

Stroks was brilliant in the monsoon in Oz but looked cream crackered against Fiji. Perhaps putting Rob "The Chopper" Harely out against samoa is a smart move.

Frurther more Al Kellock AKA the Ruck inspector (BTW ASBO that one had me lauging so much on saturday morning the Mrs Promptly told me to STFU Laugh) I think should make way for Ryder, who will be more dynamic in the blistering heat of Samoa.

If the good reverand hasn't recovered I would suggest picking Low to target the Samoan Scrum since he is a better tight player than Cross.

Lamont on the wing for this one since we'll need some extra tackling prowess in the backs.

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Low
4. Ryder
5. Gray
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. Vernon

9. Cusiter
10. Laidlaw
11. Lamont
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Visser
15. Hogg

16. Murray/Cross
17. Lawson
18. Kellock
19. McInally
20. Blair
21. Weir
22. Ansbro
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:For me we have to consider who we are playing.

Stroks was brilliant in the monsoon in Oz but looked cream crackered against Fiji. Perhaps putting Rob "The Chopper" Harely out against samoa is a smart move.

Furrther more Al Kellock AKA the Ruck inspector (BTW ASBO that one had me laughing so much on saturday morning the Mrs Promptly told me to STFU Laugh) I think should make way for Ryder, who will be more dynamic in the blistering heat of Samoa.

If the good reverand hasn't recovered I would suggest picking Low to target the Samoan Scrum since he is a better tight player than Cross.

Lamont on the wing for this one since we'll need some extra tackling prowess in the backs.

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Low
4. Ryder
5. Gray
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. Vernon

9. Cusiter
10. Laidlaw
11. Lamont
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Visser
15. Hogg

16. Murray/Cross
17. Lawson
18. Kellock
19. McInally
20. Blair
21. Weir
22. Ansbro
We aim to please, my friend, altho obviously apologies to MrsRadge!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:26 am

I think we're in serious danger of being outmuscled against the Samoans so I woul quite like to see Harley at 6 and Strokosh at 8. I know Strokosh has played there before a few times at Gloucester and if he was told to try to concentrate more on carrying than typical blindside stuff I think it would work well. More so than Vernon at 8 who, if anything, looks even skinnier.

That, or put McInally at 8.

I also think Ryder should come in.

My team:

Grant
Ford
Cross
Gray
Ryder
Harley
Rennie
Strokosh
Blair
Laidlaw
Visser Yahoo
Scott
De Luca
Lamont (need his extra physicality IMO)
Hogg

Bench Low, Lawson, Kellock, Vernon, Cusiter, Weir, Ansbro.

I'm actually really worried about this game. Samoa are better than Fiji at the areas that we looked most weak on Saturday. Plus motivation must be an issue as it is the end of a long hard season and they must have one eye on their holidays!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:24 pm

Also, I think in order to tackle the potential lack of enthusiasm/concentration from some players he needs to bring in fresh legs who are chomping at the bit to play - Harley, Ryder and Low for example.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm

Cracking result boys. Just watching the game now. It was obviously a toughy but its been a good tour to date

I'm concerned by the threat Samoa will pose, they will be harder to beat than the Fijians IMO

I'd also like to see some new faces in the starting 15. I'm less keen to bring Schlong back in though, I'd go for Ansbro personally.

Here's my team

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Low (although I'd prefer Murray to face Johnston)
4. Ryder
5. Gray
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. Vernon

9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Ansbro
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Visser
15. Hogg

16. Murray/Cross
17. Lawson
18. Kellock
19. Stroks
20. Cusiter
21. Weir
22. Lamont

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

To be honest I'm pretty torn on this one. I personally wouldn't change the backs starting the game, although I'd be tempted to use Laidlaw as 9 cover, and have a bench of Weir, S Lamont and Alex Dunbar.

The pack is tricky. I share RDW's concern at the lack of beef in our pack, and Strokosch at 8 and Harley at 6 goes some way to addressing that, as does having Euan Murray fit at 3. However, we might be playing into Samoan hands by doing that, and picking a slower pack. With Murray blowing hard in Fiji, I might be tempted for more mobility in Murray Low, using Cross as an impact sub. Johnstone and Johnstone may be big, but neither are technically strong and neither are particularly mobile and fit. I agree that Ryder should certainly start, leaving a back row connundrum.

I'll probably change my mind this week:

1.Grant 2.Ford 3.Low 4.Gray 5.Ryder 6.Harley 7.Rennie 8.Vernon 9.Blair 10.Laidlaw 11.Visser 12.Scott 13.NDL 14.Evans 15.Hogg

16.Cross 17.Lawson 18.Strokosch 19.McInally 20.Weir 21.Dunbar 22.S Lamont

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

Relying on Laidlaw as 9 cover, now there's a good shout FES. I'd rather have Ansbro starting though, I am very keen to see Laidlaw, Scott and NDL playing with a bit of confidence and Ansbro + Visser outside them.

I'd also be slightly concerned about an emergency boiler room of Ryder and Harley. I think the scrum can be a weapon against Samoa but those guys would both be making their 'debuts'. I just wish we had Hamilton out there.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

I mentioned the idea of Cusiter being dropped for someone else before the Fiji game, but I like the physicality and aggression he's brought on at scrum half when he's replaced Blair on 60 mins or so, so would probably keep him.

Plus if Weir ever sees game time it would be better with Cusiter!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I mentioned the idea of Cusiter being dropped for someone else before the Fiji game, but I like the physicality and aggression he's brought on at scrum half when he's replaced Blair on 60 mins or so, so would probably keep him.

A solution would be to drop Blair altogether (he's no been at his best this tour) and to start Cooosseeta - then when Weir comes on, wee Greig moved to scrum-half?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:57 pm

It would be a solution, but can't see Robinson doing it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:01 pm

One day chaps, one day. Robbo's generally about one year behind us on selection, so let him mull it over for a bit and he'll get it soon enough.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:02 pm

(I would also like to keep Blair at 9)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:14 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I mentioned the idea of Cusiter being dropped for someone else before the Fiji game, but I like the physicality and aggression he's brought on at scrum half when he's replaced Blair on 60 mins or so, so would probably keep him.

A solution would be to drop Blair altogether (he's no been at his best this tour) and to start Cooosseeta - then when Weir comes on, wee Greig moved to scrum-half?

I'd be happy with that.

This game is, as people have been implying, ALL about AR's squad management now.

I also agree we need at least 3 or 4 different starters because they will be fresher and more willing to impress i.e. they will tackle

Keep Schlong on the bench with Ansbro starting - Schlong gets angry when he's on the bench, and we like him when he's angry (punting the ball from Sexton aside).

A realistic squad I hope to see:

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Low
4. Ryder
5. Gray
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. Vernon (I rate Vernon esp in open play)

9. Blair
10. Laidlaw
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. NDL
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg

16. Murray
17. Lawson
18. Kellock
19. McInally
20. Cusiter
21. Weir
22. Lamont

I still think he'll play Evans somewhere though. I do think it's silly having all of Blair, Cusiter, Weir and Laidlaw in the 22 when we could do with having all of Lamont, Evans, Ansbro, Visser in there for fresh legs (because we're not actually using Weir, anyway. We should use him and not use Cus or Bla).

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:15 pm

Winning with a slightly rotated squad down in Samoa, off the back of 2 wins, will show we can actually play this game.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

I don't see AR starting Low, Ryder, Harley and Vernon all at the same time in the pack, especially with Grant on his 3rd cap - it is a bit too raw and inexperienced for my liking too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

I would think Edinburgh will continue to use Laidlaw as a 10 (or sign Steve Shingler or something equally daft). I would like to see Laidlaw back at scrum half in the long run as it means we are beginning to be a bit weak there. It would also mean that Jackson's goal kicking becomes less of a selection issue.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

Bring your scrummagers boys as Mulipola will be playing for Samoa and that man mountain has been developing nicely at Tigers. Samoa have been looking to develop (or so I heard) this summer so the likes of Mapasua and Alessana Tuilagi might be missing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:33 pm

Cryptoyourisan wrote:I would think Edinburgh will continue to use Laidlaw as a 10 (or sign Steve Shingler or something equally daft). I would like to see Laidlaw back at scrum half in the long run as it means we are beginning to be a bit weak there. It would also mean that Jackson's goal kicking becomes less of a selection issue.

It's just Laidlaw had his best game at 10 for Scotland just last week. And he's an out-and-out attacking 10 with a fantastic rugby brain, which contrasts directly for Weir who seems to be the next incumbent at the moment.

Keep him where he's doing us a service and 9 will sort itself out. Cusiter still has a couple of years and really you don't know what will come through by then. I get the feeling if we played Laids at 9 he would just be itching to play the 10 jersey instead.

And I guess it's a moot point because he looks to be 10 for the next Embra season.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

KickAndChase wrote:
Cryptoyourisan wrote:I would think Edinburgh will continue to use Laidlaw as a 10 (or sign Steve Shingler or something equally daft). I would like to see Laidlaw back at scrum half in the long run as it means we are beginning to be a bit weak there. It would also mean that Jackson's goal kicking becomes less of a selection issue.

It's just Laidlaw had his best game at 10 for Scotland just last week. And he's an out-and-out attacking 10 with a fantastic rugby brain, which contrasts directly for Weir who seems to be the next incumbent at the moment.

Keep him where he's doing us a service and 9 will sort itself out. Cusiter still has a couple of years and really you don't know what will come through by then. I get the feeling if we played Laids at 9 he would just be itching to play the 10 jersey instead.

And I guess it's a moot point because he looks to be 10 for the next Embra season.
Can't agree with that on either count, K&C

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:45 pm

What, you don't think Laidlaw is an attacking 10 with a fantastic rugby brain?

I'd agree it's not quite accurate to say that Weir contrasts with that style, but would disagree with your disagreement on the comment about Laidlaw!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:49 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:What, you don't think Laidlaw is an attacking 10 with a fantastic rugby brain?

I'd agree it's not quite accurate to say that Weir contrasts with that style, but would disagree with your disagreement on the comment about Laidlaw!
Ha, ha! My disagreement refers to the phrase "contrasts directly" and any sub-clauses thereof, your honour!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:50 pm

Glad we got that sorted! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:53 pm

I have actually been really impressed with Laidlaw's game management this season and even more so on tour. Yes, he's an offensive threat, but I'm not sure I'd describe him as 'out-and-out attacking'. That's a little black and white for me. He has got a great rugby brain though.

To be fair we don't really know what type of 10 Weir will become at international level. He hasnt played an international and last season's Glasgow gameplan required him to play in a certain way. He can run, pass, kick, dictate play and release the backs, so I dont think we should pigeon hole him quite yet.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

If you look at the A team that obliterated England a few months ago, Weir was a big feature of that and had an outstanding game, as did Hogg and he was picked up from that match. I think Laidlaw has done well but we should start playing Weir more frequently to give him a chance to shine which I believe he's very capable of. He's proven he can play the freeflowing game, perhaps not quite as sharp in attack as Laidlaw but a more all-round flyhalf. Considering Laidlaw's first choice is at scrum half though he has done an outstanding job thusfar, but I think Samoa is a game for Weir to be honest!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

Weir's form at Glasgow suggest Parks Mk2, but his performance for Scotland A with Scott at 12 suggests he can play a good attacking game.

I would like to see Weir get his chance in the Autumn rather than against Samoa, noone IMO has done anything bad to warrant being dropped.

Bringing players in to try and capitalize on an advantage we have oer the opposition is another matter.

I would like to see Weir start against Tonga in the AI's with Laidlaw at 9 and see if it sticks.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Weir's form at Glasgow suggest Parks Mk2, but his performance for Scotland A with Scott at 12 suggests he can play a good attacking game.

I would like to see Weir get his chance in the Autumn rather than against Samoa, noone IMO has done anything bad to warrant being dropped.

Bringing players in to try and capitalize on an advantage we have oer the opposition is another matter.

I would like to see Weir start against Tonga in the AI's with Laidlaw at 9 and see if it sticks.
Radge, reckon that's a good shout, and who knows by then, rhubarb jackson may have rediscovered his mojo (if he every had one!)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

KickAndChase wrote:

Cusiter should make the next RWC but Blair is chancing his international future by playing in the French Pro D2. Plus he's relatively old. Lawson is older still and will probably be playing in a crap team, unless Dean Richards turns Newcastle round big time. I'm not convinced that Edinburgh are going in the right direction at scrum half (Is Leck even eligible for Scotland?) and Murray McConnell will struggle for game time. We might end up having to cap Henry Pyrgos if we end up with an injury or two...

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

Leck is English, but Alex Black is Scottish. Can't see him getting any game time with Rees and Leck though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:26 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Leck is English, but Alex Black is Scottish. Can't see him getting any game time with Rees and Leck though.

So were it not for a farcical technicality stopping London Welsh from being promoted, Scotland would have one capped scrum-half playing top-flight rugby. That's insane! Especially so seeing as scrum-half is a position that we've never really had to worry about.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:46 pm

People seem very confident that Ryder and the Ginger Tackle Monster will be playing. Is this what we actually think will happen or is this just what we wish will be the case? Is Harley even training with the squad? When did he arrive?

I see that MacInally is not in favour with the posters here and I suppose that Smithers Morrison will be correct in his assertion that Vernon will start.

Am a big fan of the Meatball but I don't think that AR will change his half back combination, especially as the Edinburgh backline has been the reason why we've gone to the ludicrous depths of scoring tries through the backs.

I'm sorry, but the 'physicality' argument isn't enough to get Lamont (who has a large Johnstone of his own, allegedly) back into the squad. We need complete footballers and rugby brains and Ansbro has to start.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:50 pm

Harley has done nothing but train with the squad since the 6n! Been there all tour too - mcinally flew out as a replacement

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:35 pm

George Carlin wrote:People seem very confident that Ryder and the Ginger Tackle Monster will be playing. Is this what we actually think will happen or is this just what we wish will be the case? Is Harley even training with the squad? When did he arrive?

I see that MacInally is not in favour with the posters here and I suppose that Smithers Morrison will be correct in his assertion that Vernon will start.

Am a big fan of the Meatball but I don't think that AR will change his half back combination, especially as the Edinburgh backline has been the reason why we've gone to the ludicrous depths of scoring tries through the backs.

I'm sorry, but the 'physicality' argument isn't enough to get Lamont (who has a large Johnstone of his own, allegedly) back into the squad. We need complete footballers and rugby brains and Ansbro has to start.
Classic, GC Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:42 pm

Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:28 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
George Carlin wrote:People seem very confident that Ryder and the Ginger Tackle Monster will be playing. Is this what we actually think will happen or is this just what we wish will be the case? Is Harley even training with the squad? When did he arrive?

Classic, GC Laugh
I'm back. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

I'd go for:
1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Kellock
5. Gray
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. MacInally
9. Cusiter
10. Weir
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. De luca
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg
16. Cross
17. Lawson
18. Ryder
19. Vernon
20. Laidlaw
21. Dunbar
22. Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:38 pm

Numbers, the only thing is that Robinson has as good as said that Vernon will start, and I can't see him changing half-backs just as he's stumbled on a quick-thinking, smart-decision-making pair - could be wrong, but I think we'd be straying into kecks-eating territory if I am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:43 pm

I agree with you, although if I was Weir or Harley I'd start to get quite annoyed.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:50 pm

Weir can't have too much ground to be annoyed - Laidlaw has been our standout player, and match winner, on tour.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:39 pm

123456789 wrote:I'd go for:
1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Kellock
5. Gray
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. MacInally
9. Cusiter
10. Weir
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. De luca
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg
16. Cross
17. Lawson
18. Ryder
19. Vernon
20. Laidlaw
21. Dunbar
22. Brown

This would be good, and if Weir is proving to be poor in attack there's the option of Laidlaw on the bench as cover but I doubt this would be the case. I think that its a good idea to rest Blair and Laidlaw for a game, if anything they've earnt it especially after 2 weeks of internationals. Samoa is a must-win but I have every confidence that team could win it, especially with all the fresh legs on the field! Robinson won't pick them though I'm sure. Although maybe Johnson will have a big say, who knows?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:15 pm

123456789 wrote:I'd go for:
1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Kellock
5. Gray
6. Harley
7. Rennie
8. MacInally
9. Cusiter
10. Weir
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. De luca
14. Ansbro
15. Hogg
16. Cross
17. Lawson
18. Ryder
19. Vernon
20. Laidlaw
21. Dunbar
22. Brown

The more I think about this the more it makes sense. We're doing well and are looking for a slam, yes, but we've got to cement confidence across our core squad (and that is more than 22 players) before we come home and have another long break from the international scene. I'm also confident this team would beat Samoa - at the moment I think most combinations would - but I am also confident that AR will never pick Weir at 10 or MacInally at 8 (not least because he said he won't for the latter!)

Does it worry anyone else that AR has revealed that he basically told Barclay he was going to play the first 2 games then go home? So if he was pish in the first game he was still going to play against Fiji, out-of-position, anyway? Thinking of selection for 2 games in a row is just ludicrous. Or have I read it wrong?

I really do hope Johnson has taken hold of the selection policy.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:43 pm

123456789 wrote:I agree with you, although if I was Weir or Harley I'd start to get quite annoyed.

Weir has no case to make. Harley could I think feel slightly aggrieved not to have had a cap by now. He's been remarkably consistent all season for Glasgow and this will be exactly his sort of game. I'd pick him to start personally.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:49 pm

Weir can feel aggrieved - Robinson clearly does not trust him or rate him.

should have had some significant game time by now

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 6:57 am

I honestly don't believe that Robinson does not trust or rate players like Weir, Harley, Dunbar or McInally, it's simply that he is desperate to wrack up three wins to restore some faith in his coaching of this group of players at international level. My hope is that these youngsters are buying into the 'success' that has been achieved by the group, even tho they may only have been involved on the training field. Personally, I would have worried slightly less about three wins and pitched this as a developmental tour with extra mid-week games, but that's not how it has been used

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:30 am

I agree with that Asbo - this tour was all about getting wins and re-establishing confidence and credibility. And, as a footnote, helping Robinson keep his job.

The purpose of the tour was different for us than it was with Wales and England who finished first and second in the 6N. Wales had to test themselves against the best in the SH, having established themselves for now as best in the north. England had to see how Lancaster's systems translated into a game against different styles of teams.

For all that some may have moaned about it, the three teams we are playing are the three most appropriate for us, given where we have to accept we are now as a rugby playing nation. Playing any of SANZAR anywhere other than Murrayfield is not good for us - we have to give ourselves a chance to be competitive and we'll see how we get on against the Bokke and Blackness (and Tonga) in November.

Conversely, I think that the Irish Rugby Union should have their heads read for agreeing three tests with the All Blacks. Irish rugby was not in a happy place before the tour and whilst the second test will rightly be remembered as a barn-burner, ultimately the scorecard will reveal three defeats for Ireland and probably cost Kidney his job. Really, really stupid when they're trying to bring on players that seem to be struggling with confidence (i.e. Fitzgerald).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:46 am

George Carlin wrote:I agree with that Asbo - this tour was all about getting wins and re-establishing confidence and credibility. And, as a footnote, helping Robinson keep his job.

The purpose of the tour was different for us than it was with Wales and England who finished first and second in the 6N. Wales had to test themselves against the best in the SH, having established themselves for now as best in the north. England had to see how Lancaster's systems translated into a game against different styles of teams.

For all that some may have moaned about it, the three teams we are playing are the three most appropriate for us, given where we have to accept we are now as a rugby playing nation. Playing any of SANZAR anywhere other than Murrayfield is not good for us - we have to give ourselves a chance to be competitive and we'll see how we get on against the Bokke and Blackness (and Tonga) in November.

Conversely, I think that the Irish Rugby Union should have their heads read for agreeing three tests with the All Blacks. Irish rugby was not in a happy place before the tour and whilst the second test will rightly be remembered as a barn-burner, ultimately the scorecard will reveal three defeats for Ireland and probably cost Kidney his job. Really, really stupid when they're trying to bring on players that seem to be struggling with confidence (i.e. Fitzgerald).
I suspect that that would find favour with many Irish posters, GC, and might actually work out well for Ireland if that is indeed the outcome. Can't help but worry that our couple of successes has papered over the problems that we still have which were very much evident in the 6Ns and at the RWC - however, this is a largely new group of players that seems to have at least a wee bit more talent that the last lot, so I'm prepared to give them a chance

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 9:56 am

Having re-watched the Fiji match, I have two areas of concern:

1. Rucks - we seemed a little passive imo, not hitting them with the same numbers, the same passion or the same precision, so too often for my liking the breakdown was more of a lottery than it should have been - we must keep to the NH virtue of winning the breakdown contest (in addition to the set piece) - that will secure us possession and I think we can do (will need to do) better than the 57% we achieved vs Fiji when we take on Samoa. We also conceded 9 penalties in the match, a number of which were at the breakdown area;

2. Tackling - we went from a tackles made/missed ratio of 141/3 against Australia, a far more potent team than Fiji, to a 57/17 ratio in Lautoka - I suspect that Samoa will punish us far more than Fiji if we repeat that display. First up tackles against big Islanders are essential, preferably wrapping up the ball with the man to stop the offload - I hope that we have been working on that this week, altho with Steadman gone and Matt Taylor yet to join, I wonder who is organising the defensive patterns?

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next