The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V2 Golf: ball marker of shame

+24
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Slowride
kwinigolfer
Fader
JamesLincs
George1507
twoeightnine
Bob_the_Job
barragan
Nay
oldshanker
1GrumpyGolfer
Doon the Water
golfermartin
dynamark
GG
mystiroakey
Hibbz
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Conehead
Diggers
super_realist
McLaren
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

V2 Golf: ball marker of shame - Page 2 Empty V2 Golf: ball marker of shame

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

The talk of Nalbandians little episode and of course the constant complaining about Tiger and others on course antics got me thinking. Surely we have all had some pretty unsavoury moments on the course that have brought nothing but shame and embarrassment?

On another thread I admitted to one of my rather distasteful moments on the course;

“I remember once in a junior competition I “abused” a volunteer who could not find my ball, despite the fact it practically landed in his flask. I think I may have called him a bad word or something. I proceeded to receive a real dressing down back in the clubhouse and my dad had to try very hard to smooth over the situation.

The guy had the cheek to claim I should have shouted four and he would have known it was coming. But what the hell was he doing if he was not watching the balls!!!”

Not one of my finer moments, so let’s share with the rest of the board some on course behavior that we wish we could take back or at least that we now feel some pangs of guilt about?

This will become particularly juicy if someone admits to cheating.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

V2 Golf: ball marker of shame - Page 2 Empty Re: V2 Golf: ball marker of shame

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:54 pm

"Your a para cat"

what is this and should I be pleased with the comparison?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:09 pm

McLaren wrote:“You take my ball or hit it in the trees you'll regret it.”

Bloody hell navy, that is a bit severe. Just the other day I hit up to a blind green and when I got over the hill realised the group in front were still on it. My ball was gone, and I know for sure it would have been on the green, as the group ahead walked off the look they gave me confirmed they had taken the ball. I just accepted it as I should have made sure the green was free. I really didn’t for a moment feel any anger towards them, just with myself for endangering a fellow player.
I don't mean I'll wrap my wedge round your head or anything that extreme but I'd certainly have some words to say - to you and/or the club secretary. Most of the time (I hope) people hitting into the back of others is accidental I would think; if I felt it was deliberate I'd be speaking to the club secretary again at the first opportunity. I've spoken to people quite often when they hit near the back of me but it's universally accidental and/or they weren't paying enough attention to what they were doing. I'm not sure that warrants a ball being whacked back/tree-wards or nicked.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

2-8-9

One of my friends tends to belt his bag sometimes. It's got less though since he trashed the mobile that was in a side pocket a few months back!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

Probally not Mac. Now do everyone a favour and stop interfering with other people's balls.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

When you hit a ball close to someone else we all apoligise. If someone else does it to us they apoligise!!

Macs ideal isnt to allow for apoligies and he acts to quickly and expects others to as well!

If someone hits close and doesnt apoligise - surely you would communicate with them first- i dont think i have ever been in the position were someone hasnt.

I have been on the other side and someone hit my ball back that was hit 350 yards.. That must have been the final straw for them- they must have been over worrying before that and they couldnt have been enjoying there round(maybe our drives were getting within 20 yards of them as there they were walking from there shot!!). Surely if you were annoyed before you should say something about it. Communication is needed- thats all.

If your play on a public dirt track then we cant really expect etiquite, so it doesnt really apply there

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 19 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

Navy

Almost did the same myself a few weeks ago but remembered as I was on my backswing! Since then I have decided that keeping the phone in there is a good deterrent.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:13 pm

'Ere Mysti lad if we can keep this thread going another few days you'll be up to hitting them 390 mate.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

well i have hit a few over 400 ..well over in fact on a couple of holes

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

Can I make it clear this is not something I have done often, and I mentioned it as a point of shame. I will admit to standing on balls more often but hitting someone else’s ball when it has gotten too close is an act I have only committed on a few occasions.

Mysti

It really is a disgraceful perpetration of snobbery to think that etiquette would be devoid on a public course. It is also a major error to assume that the etiquette of most golf clubs is something any rational thinking society would wish to employ. I play a public course and find the atmosphere and behaviour of the people who play there far superior to anything you will find at a private club.

This reminds me of one of the things which really amuses me about some golf clubs; there is an image of “class” or money about golf clubs and no matter what the reality is members of all clubs try to fulfil this. You can drive into the car park of club in say a lower middle class/upper working class area and mondeo men everywhere are acting as if they are entering Wentworth as over privileged tossers. It is just so odd that normal people aspire to be societies least admirable group of people.

Mysti you cant even master the most basic of communication skills and have the cheek to question those using a public golf course?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:26 pm

mystiroakey wrote:well i have hit a few over 400 ..well over in fact on a couple of holes

In that case surely hitting on/at a green a mere 340yds away before it has cleared is no accident and is as such bad "etiquite"?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:31 pm

I knew you played at a public course mac- that is why i made those comments. To wind you up. because you have been trying so hard for so long to get to me. You act like a bully on this board- so do yourself a favour either change yor attitude or dont talk to me thumbsup

I am dyslexic btw. It can be tough for me to make my points. But all you have done for the last few days is come straight onto threads and attcak me- not my points. You are becoming very personal and in fainress its getting abit much.

i will offer you a hand Hug

Are you man enough to take it OK

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:34 pm

Hibbz wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:well i have hit a few over 400 ..well over in fact on a couple of holes

In that case surely hitting on/at a green a mere 340yds away before it has cleared is no accident and is as such bad "etiquite"?

Well no. The ones that can go for the green on the 9th(340 yard par 4) -go for it when the group is on the green. its part of the course etiquite to play forward as we can only roll the ball onto the green.. Obviously i have only hit 400 plus yard drives in very optimon conditions on optimom holes

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:39 pm

mysti

No need to offer a hand, this is a board for discussion and no where does it say we have to get along. In fact it is better when we don’t ass lick eachother.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:41 pm

Obviously your not man enough then thumbsup

Just stop following me about attcking me. OK. Attack my points all day. But just stop getting personal

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:43 pm

McLaren wrote:mysti

No need to offer a hand, this is a board for discussion and no where does it say we have to get along. In fact it is better when we don’t ass lick eachother.

Make your mind up Mac, it's usually you that's the simpering liberal, terrified to say anything which might "offend" someone and quick to jump on anyone who says something with even the slightest barb to it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:45 pm

Yeah Mac, leave him alone he's a thicko, sorry dyslexic.

Loves ya Mysti and your red bull induced rants x

ps you've not posted on my punts thread yet today I'm waiting.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

McLaren wrote: I will admit to standing on balls more often....It really is a disgraceful perpetration of snobbery to think that etiquette would be devoid on a public course. ... I play a public course and find the atmosphere and behaviour of the people who play there far superior to anything you will find at a private club.

So in summary:
1. You think it's ok to stand on balls
2. You play on a public course
3. Public course behaviour is superior to anything at a private club

I see what you did there. It's called proving yourself wrong.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:54 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
McLaren wrote: I will admit to standing on balls more often....It really is a disgraceful perpetration of snobbery to think that etiquette would be devoid on a public course. ... I play a public course and find the atmosphere and behaviour of the people who play there far superior to anything you will find at a private club.

So in summary:
1. You think it's ok to stand on balls
2. You play on a public course
3. Public course behaviour is superior to anything at a private club

I see what you did there. It's called proving yourself wrong.

laughing

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

Did i say at any point my behavior represented that of other public course users?

Maybe it was my private club start to life that left me with some unsavoury traits?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

McLaren wrote:Did i say at any point my behavior represented that of other public course users?

Maybe it was my private club start to life that left me with some unsavoury traits?

Mac, I played your course the other week and there were people on the course wearing jeans and there was even a Ford Fiesta in the car park. Rolling Eyes

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

Perhaps the people wearing jeans were only there to watch?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

It's all getting a bit heated here. I don't recall doing anything terrible, but I did have an embarrassing incident a few weeks ago. I arrived a bit late for my tee off time, and needed a quick warm-up. I grabbed my 6 iron and whacked a few in the driving net. There was an old practice ball lying there, so with my tee off time fast approaching, I smacked this old ball right across the practice ground and into the trees with my driver.

I was just putting the driver in the bag when a guy walked round the corner and asked if I'd seen his 'match ball'. He'd inadvertently left it lying there apparently. I said I hadn't seen it (which wasn't a lie because I could not believe he was talking about that old TopFlite, now residing in the woods).

I was explaining what had happened on the way round to my partner, who reckoned this guy only ever played with scruffy old balls. And it was only at that moment that I realised that the ball I had despatched into the woods was his 'match ball'.

I don't really feel bad about it, but I think I ought to own up to him. What's stopping me is that I'll just offend him if I say I only did it because it was a scruffy old ball. I'm not in the habit of hitting other people's balls for no reason. Mind I've got about 500 balls better than that one in the garage, he's welcome to as many of those as he wants because none of them are ever likely to see a course again.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:19 pm

Have to say guys I am a little disappointed with the lack of honesty on this thread. Surely there are more tales of shameful incidents that could be shared on here?

No pant pooping for example?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:23 pm

Well assuming it was an accident there is apparently nothing to be ashamed of when crapping yourself Mac.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:27 pm

I used to grow plants in the juniour clubhouse. when they got to big i planted them in a part of the course that only john daley could find. it was a nice outdoor strain actually. lucky to be a good summer...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:29 pm

Hibbz wrote:Well assuming it was an accident there is appa

rently nothing to be ashamed of when crapping yourself Mac.
who would crap themself on purpose????

Headscratch

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:33 pm

Hibbz

"Well assuming it was an accident there is apparently nothing to be ashamed of when crapping yourself Mac."

Is that something I have said before?

If not, there us surely a little same to be had?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:35 pm

mystiroakey wrote:

:headscratch:

Exactly mate, hence no one has mentioned it on a thread talking about being ashamed of things. You can stop scratching your head now.

Speaking of which you sound proud of your drug growing so maybe that should be moved to another thread?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:

Headscratch
Paula Radcliffe - admittedly not when playing golf
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:36 pm

It was tomatoes

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:37 pm

McLaren wrote:Hibbz

"Well assuming it was an accident there is apparently nothing to be ashamed of when crapping yourself Mac."

Is that something I have said before?

If not, there us surely a little same to be had?

You've lost me there. Your meaning is a mystery.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:38 pm

But your right it wad a proud moment.. so it should go on your thread when germany win the euros

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:38 pm

mystiroakey wrote:It was tomatoes

You're ashamed of growing tomatoes?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:38 pm

Mac gotta be honest. that post was worse than one of mine

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:39 pm

Mysti

Is a differential for Dyslexia making up stories about drug production on a golf board?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:40 pm

mystiroakey wrote:But your right it wad a proud moment.. so it should go on your thread when germany win the euros

You think Germany are going to win the Euros? Are you some sort of traitor? Just wait 'til I tell that Duty281 geezer.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:46 pm

McLaren wrote:Mysti

Is a differential for Dyslexia making up stories about drug production on a golf board?

V2 Golf: ball marker of shame - Page 2 57983

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 4:48 pm

Hibbz wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:But your right it wad a proud moment.. so it should go on your thread when germany win the euros

You think Germany are going to win the Euros? Are you some sort of traitor? Just wait 'til I tell that Duty281 geezer.

They probally will. yes Crying or Very sad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:02 pm

McLaren wrote:Can I make it clear this is not something I have done often, and I mentioned it as a point of shame. I will admit to standing on balls more often but hitting someone else’s ball when it has gotten too close is an act I have only committed on a few occasions.

Mysti

It really is a disgraceful perpetration of snobbery to think that etiquette would be devoid on a public course. It is also a major error to assume that the etiquette of most golf clubs is something any rational thinking society would wish to employ. I play a public course and find the atmosphere and behaviour of the people who play there far superior to anything you will find at a private club.

This reminds me of one of the things which really amuses me about some golf clubs; there is an image of “class” or money about golf clubs and no matter what the reality is members of all clubs try to fulfil this. You can drive into the car park of club in say a lower middle class/upper working class area and mondeo men everywhere are acting as if they are entering Wentworth as over privileged tossers. It is just so odd that normal people aspire to be societies least admirable group of people.

Mysti you cant even master the most basic of communication skills and have the cheek to question those using a public golf course?

i applaud you for this post, you are spot on

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:08 pm

You think it's ok to stand on someone's golf ball too, just because they've had the temerity to hit close to you? you think that constitutes good golf "etiquette"? What a hero.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:09 pm

What he says is right in some respects but mac has a real aversion to people who dare to work hard and earn lots of money as if it means you are evil and a nasty capitalist.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:12 pm

So james do you play golf then?

When you start getting decent at golf you will realise that you cant stay on public courses(well not many)- because they dont offer the test, a competitive enviormoment or etiquite of a decent standard(peopole like mac tread on peoples balls and whack others away because he gets frustrated- he isnt a good spokesmen for public courses put it that way). It has zip all to do with superiority at all. Its just up another competitive level.

Its all about the quality of course, and competition V2 Golf: ball marker of shame - Page 2 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:13 pm

super_realist wrote:What he says is right in some respects but mac has a real aversion to people who dare to work hard and earn lots of money as if it means you are evil and a nasty capitalist.

Almost none of what he says is right- Infact he is possibly the worse spokesman for public courses imaginable V2 Golf: ball marker of shame - Page 2 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:28 pm

Ok, I need defend public courses here, I like to think I have good etiquette as do my regular group of playing partners. Yes there are some that come onto the course with arrogance and moronic behaviour but no worse than I've witnessed at member only courses. Just because someone chooses to play a public course over being at a private members one doesn't make the less respectful or polite, in some instances it makes them less elitist and far less clicky!

One of the worst instances I've seen is at a private course where someone had merely asked to be called through by the group of members in front who were holding up play, only to be berated, physically threatend both on course and in the bar afterwards for doing so if that's what being a member allows you to behave like you can shove it!

As for better standard of play, sorry but again bit of an elitist assumption imo. This week alone my public course has a +4 Am playing in the british Amateur, it can proudly say one of its members is playing the Challenge Tour and boasts several county players which is more than the nearest private members course. Add in that the nearest private course is far easier a test also shows that example doesn't always hold true.

Last edited by Fader on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:29 pm

I meant he was right about there being a lot of cockends in golf clubs, although people who try to be superior and upper class are just as bad a the middle class being bolinger bolshevics which is what Mac is.

I think he believes that everyone at public courses are Arthur Scargill types. Which of course they aren't. They are just too parsimonious and niggardly to join a proper club.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:39 pm

well i dont know- from my experience is that most people that play on public courses arnt that bothered about playing at a competitive level. Or are at a lower level them selves.

I think many people that are new to the game or the type of golfer that plays once in a while could get oiverwhemled at some provate courses and judge based on that experience- but the fact is that is because there arnt at the correct level. I find playing on some public courses a real pain due to some golfers not being on the correct etiquite level.

You are much more likely to have an enjoyable free flowing round at a private course. Due to the level of etiquite and quality.

Public courses are needed and are a great breeding ground- but there are only a stepping stone from my pov.

Macs point is that there is better etiquite at a public course- That statement is just simply wrong. And its not me trying to feel superior- its just the way it is

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:43 pm

I don't think though that club membership makes you a better golfer. Most golfers are truly terrible, whether they play competitive or not or whether they play at a club or muni.

Last edited by super_realist on Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:44 pm

In Mysti's defence the public courses in Surrey do tend to be pretty gash. Not all maybe but certainly the majority.

I think it's probably very different in Scotland and as Fader says in Kent as well.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:44 pm

Fader wrote:Ok, I need defend public courses here, I like to think I have good etiquette as do my regular group of playing partners. Yes there are some that come onto the course with arrogance and moronic behaviour but no worse than I've witnessed at member only courses. Just because someone chooses to play a public course over being at a private members one doesn't make the less respectful or polite, in some instances it makes them less elitist and far less clicky!

One of the worst instances I've seen is at a private course where someone had merely asked to be called through by the group of members in front who were holding up play, only to be berated, physically threatend both on course and in the bar afterwards for doing so if that's what being a member allows you to behave like you can shove it!

As for better standard of play, sorry but again bit of an elitist assumption imo. This week alone my public course has a +4 Am playing in the british Amateur, it can proudly say one of its members is playing the Challenge Tour and boasts several county players which is more than the nearest private members course. Add in that the nearest private course is far easier a test also shows that example doesn't always hold true.

Fader there are alot of grey area type clubs that may be public in name but very much more private in nature. The club in question obviously has a very strong membership base. However in my experience many good golfers(+ figures) with aspirations of going pro are members at more than one club.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 5:46 pm

Hibbz wrote:In Mysti's defence the public courses in Surrey do tend to be pretty gash. Not all maybe but certainly the majority.

I think it's probably very different in Scotland and as Fader says in Kent as well.

There is a massive distinction here your right. maybe it is very different elsewhere.

However the best public course(silvermere) is not a bad track. However the rounds are so slow. it does drive me nuts - and that is the best we have in this county

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next