The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V2 Golf: ball marker of shame

+24
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
Slowride
kwinigolfer
Fader
JamesLincs
George1507
twoeightnine
Bob_the_Job
barragan
Nay
oldshanker
1GrumpyGolfer
Doon the Water
golfermartin
dynamark
GG
mystiroakey
Hibbz
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Conehead
Diggers
super_realist
McLaren
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

V2 Golf: ball marker of shame Empty V2 Golf: ball marker of shame

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:22 pm

The talk of Nalbandians little episode and of course the constant complaining about Tiger and others on course antics got me thinking. Surely we have all had some pretty unsavoury moments on the course that have brought nothing but shame and embarrassment?

On another thread I admitted to one of my rather distasteful moments on the course;

“I remember once in a junior competition I “abused” a volunteer who could not find my ball, despite the fact it practically landed in his flask. I think I may have called him a bad word or something. I proceeded to receive a real dressing down back in the clubhouse and my dad had to try very hard to smooth over the situation.

The guy had the cheek to claim I should have shouted four and he would have known it was coming. But what the hell was he doing if he was not watching the balls!!!”

Not one of my finer moments, so let’s share with the rest of the board some on course behavior that we wish we could take back or at least that we now feel some pangs of guilt about?

This will become particularly juicy if someone admits to cheating.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

V2 Golf: ball marker of shame Empty Re: V2 Golf: ball marker of shame

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:53 pm

I was asked for a fight on the ninth green once.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:55 pm

super_realist wrote:I was asked for a fight on the ninth green once.

How badly did she she batter you Super ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:04 pm

My "behaviour" was accidental but to this day still comes back to haunt me and gets brought up every year.

Me and my 4 brothers have a golf tournament every year on a new course that we have't played on. It started off as a bit of fun but over the years has become increasingly competitive.

On the 18th a few years back it was extremely close between 2 of my brothers. (me sadly out of it after carding a quad on a par 3!) My eldest brother who had never won before asked me to check his scorecard as he doesn't like looking at it during the round. I added them up and told him he was winning by one. As he was on the green he had an uphill 10 footer with 2 shots to play with. He was so nervous he didn't even attempt to hole it and just lagged it up sunk the gimme and celebrated widly!

I was happy for him until we added up the scores................turns out maths isn't my stong point and the putt he lagged should have actually been his putt for the win!

I'll just make sure to say no if anyone asks me to check thier score for them!

He had drawn with my younger bro. They both played the 1st hole again as a play off but the elder was in bits mentally. Took 3 of the tee and didn't even finish the hole when the younger put his second inside 10 feet.

I know many will say he should have added up his own score but i felt terrible at the time and he still never lets me forget about it! He hasn't won the last 2 years either and he's becoming the Lee Westwood of the family as he constantly gets reminded of his failure to bag a win.

We play at the Forest of Arden this year and I've heard great reviews about the course. It was even featured in this months Golf Monthly as one of the courses of the month so looking forward to a great weekend. £129 for 2 rounds,1 nights stay and evening meal and breakfast is a bargain as well.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

Most of mine are temper-related - bit of club throwing as a junior and some bad language (some of it recent!).

I've cheated. There, said it. Improving the lie if you must know when in the rough by using my clubhead to move the ball a bit. Was a junior at the time playing in a Medal with my dad and unbeknown to me, he was pretty sure what I did. Felt pretty embarrassed after the little chat once we got in; turned out my round was suddenly a Naughty Rabbit after all. Not done anything since....that I know of!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:43 pm

I once clubbed a seal in anger after hitting my ball in the ocean on a particularly difficult links course.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

It took me a while to work out what Naughty Rabbit was!! First thought that it had been caused by the swear filter but I couldn't for the life of me think why you'd have called your round a vibrator!!

I picked up my mates ball accidentally once and didn't tell him. He'd hit it left and walking up the fairway I saw a ball and picked it up. We then spent five minutes looking for his before he had to declare it lost and play his provisional. It was only as we were leaving the green that it dawned on me what could have happened and sure enough the ball I picked up had his markings on. To this day I have no idea why I didn't immediately confess but having not done it there and then it kind of got harder and I never did! I still sometimes think I should even though it's highly unlikely he'd remember the original incident.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

I had a go at someone for cheating in a match and ended up getting told of for it,

I used to club throw. I used to swear. I used to listen to my ipod(the original ones ) and not speak to my opponents in match play.

Once we turfed up a green from another local course after a juniour match when they had a pop at our greens..

I dont really think i wanna tell you lot about other things i got upto- I get judged to badly lol.

I had some good times though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:57 pm

Btw my first junior medal. I was paired with two older juniors and one said shall we all give each other these putts on the first. I hold mine anyway. but they gave me one at a later point. Never improved lies or anything- But everyone at my club cheated abit. Obviously no one wants to admit it. But the magic pencils were rife until us juniours got mature(13 or so) and then i am pretty sure everyone cut it out. I possibly cheated in juniour medals- a few shots, for about 6 months.. It was stupid and peer pressure. Never felt right about it- you only ever cheat yourself.. Eventually once you start playing with older players in real comps- you completly get out of it. When juniors are paired tigether problems happen- i am sure we all aware of that!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:58 pm

As long as you end the post with a LOL mysti all will be well.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:01 pm

What post you refering to?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:08 pm

I've snapped a fair few shafts.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

Super

I have snapped a shaft once in anger and about three times the thing just fell apart. One time I bought a driver from a mate and three holes in the shaft snapped about 5 cm up from the head during a shot.

mysti

I meant on your scorecard. There is a by law in golf that states the competition/handicap secretary must accept scores which contain cheating if you sign LOL on the scorecard.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:20 pm

Strange comment.

So post=scorecard now does it.

I know your trying to be funny- Its just not working.

BTW in your next junior medal try and relax abit more..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:30 pm

Nothing too bad, really...

Me and a mate got reported to the club for starting on the 7th hole in the middle of a ladies match.

Some kid wanted to fight me in a junior match because I accused him of cheating.

Got a major hairdryer treatment from the junior county organiser for swearing repeatedly on the 18th green in front of a load of parents/grandparents.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

Another fine moment was hitting someone in the group behinds ball about 150 yards into the woods. It was about the third time their drive had landed within ten yards of me while I waited for the group in front to clear the green. So just lined up a 7 iron towards the woods and hit into them in full view of the group behind. To say they went mental is an understatement.

I have also done the same thing but just hit their ball back towards the tee.

If this happens on a hole with a blind drive I just ensure they find their ball plugged.

I think I have told this one before but if the group behind starts trying to play too fast I like to start walking up and expecting the green for any shot within about 120 yards.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

I would have killed ya if you had whacked one of my balls back.. your a lucky boy so far.. You will come up against someone one day

The rest of your post makes no sense at all thumbsup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:23 pm

My mate got annoyed when the group behind played into our group twice in 2 holes with drives.

The second time he was fuming, turned around to hit the ball back to the group and proceeded to then execute the best topping of a ball i've seen and it went about 3 yards in front of him.

Succeeded in breaking the ice as everyone started p1ssing themselves laughing at his antics.

Just goes to show that tension really does destroy your swing as he's a single figure golfer!

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:26 pm

"I think I have told this one before but if the group behind starts trying to play too fast I like to start walking up and expecting the green for any shot within about 120 yards."

Ha! I haven't done it to that extreme but impatient golfers when the course is clearly clogged everywhere deserve to be wound up!

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:33 pm

Conehead wrote:My mate got annoyed when the group behind played into our group twice in 2 holes with drives.

The second time he was fuming, turned around to hit the ball back to the group and proceeded to then execute the best topping of a ball i've seen and it went about 3 yards in front of him.

Succeeded in breaking the ice as everyone started p1ssing themselves laughing at his antics.

Just goes to show that tension really does destroy your swing as he's a single figure golfer!

Superb!

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:38 pm

When your held up -Golfers have to either push to get through the slow group or allow someone else to give it ago. If there is no where to go then in fairness i have never had an inpatient group behind me. Slow players are the dirge of the golfing world and should only be allowed on public courses thumbsup

Either undestand etiquite or get of the course in my book..

I have had idiotic players in front of me whinge after i or my playing partners have hit par 4's(that are over 340 yeards etc in 1) in one case one whacked it back- That person wont do it again i can tell ya. The fact is its only running on and if they have an issue they need to let that group ahead- which in most cases they do!

The good thing about being a member at a club- you get to know everyone and they know to just let you through. I played on a public course last year- and all I can say is- Never again!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

In my opinion no golfer purposely hits through a group and like you said Mystiroakey even if it does happen it's normally done when a golfer really catches a drive and it rolls slightly into your path.

Never bothered me that much as i'm normally concentrating on my own game and most are always quick to apologise. I've done it once after playing awful all round I said i'd hit first on the 18th after driving terrible all day and then proceeded to hit the drive of my life that carried straight over the group in front. I have one of those Garmin GPS watches that let you measure the drive and it was over 320 when I average normally about 280 so it was a freak shot. Even still I was very embarrassed and apologised profusely.

Everyone gets frustrated with slow play at times but i'd rather be on a course with slow play than not playing at all.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:23 pm

Yeah where I am from its never on purpose- Obviously some people think it is. Like in macs case- However he is either playing on courses that are public with goflers that dont understand etiquite or taking things way to far to heart.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:26 pm

I have to say that I have on a couple of occasions realised after a round that I had not been very good company.Things going pear shaped bit to much swearing club whacked into the ground etc.More of a guilt thing really.
We just had a 4 guys banned for a month for spinning golf buggies around in the wet conditions and leaving tyretracks.Could be argued that buggies shouldnt have been out but no excuse for damaging the golf course.Not sure if they will come back but right decision

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:46 pm

I've never actually managed to snap a shaft, but I have bent a couple of clubs. One, a long time ago was a brass headed putter, which I hit on the ground having missed a short putt. I then had to sort of stoop to putt with the sole flat on the ground for the rest of the round. Have found out since that I should have declared it out of play because I had changed it's playing characteristics. The second one was much more recent. Certainly within the last year. I hit my trolley with a sand wedge and the shaft bent just above the hosel. That time I only had two holes left to play, but boy was I fuming with myself for the loss of control. I have almost got it straightened now - almost but not quite..

I have too many instances of swearing to recount!!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 5:47 pm

I have broken way more clubs than i can remember. I used to use so many older clubs that have just broken on shots, I have snapped loads around trees on follow throughs. And i have broken a few in anger.

I could be close to 30 in fairness.

Martin just get your sandwedge reshafted mate- its not good playing with bent shafts due to your loft and lies being out- and it will only just break at the most unexpected time now because it is significantly weakened

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:07 pm

As an approx 7 year old I once helped someone to a hole in one on the 3rd hole on Gullane No2.
[Mac will know]

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:13 pm

So that person, most likely, went to their grave thinking they made an ace shame on you Doon!

Can we arrange a get together for Gullane Whistle

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:04 pm

Mystri

I appreciate the advice re: the sand wedge shaft but to be honest, it's been behaving better since I bent it and I very rarely (no, I never) use it on a full swing, so I don't think I put that much stress on it.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:10 pm

lol.. you have lucked out and pushed it into a better lie angle for you. It may have reduced or incresed its bounce.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:09 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I have broken way more clubs than i can remember. I used to use so many older clubs that have just broken on shots, I have snapped loads around trees on follow throughs. And i have broken a few in anger.

I could be close to 30 in fairness.

My God Mysti you need to get your temper in check, that can't be good for your heart!! If you are still like it, you must be a difficult playing partner.

I've played golf for over 50 years and have never broken or even bent a shaft either in anger or around a tree. The nearest I can get to it is a couple of times, a head has flown off.

oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:11 pm

Doon the Water wrote:As an approx 7 year old I once helped someone to a hole in one on the 3rd hole on Gullane No2.
[Mac will know]

Very Happy Cardiac hill then Doon. Creamed a 5 wood up there a few weeks ago and was still short!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:16 pm

what breaking a few in anger when i was a junior, most people on here has as well by the sound of it. Most of my breaks have been on a shot..I go for alot of shots though. It used to get abit invetable but my pros would fix em for nothing..

Nah i am never angry on the golf course these days. Nothing phases me- need to get the competitive edge back to be honest..Not at the level i want so i dont expect much at all! maybe towards the end of summer

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:25 pm

mystiroakey wrote:what breaking a few in anger when i was a junior, most people on here has as well by the sound of it. Most of my breaks have been on a shot..I go for alot of shots though. It used to get abit invetable but my pros would fix em for nothing..

Nah i am never angry on the golf course these days. Nothing phases me- need to get the competitive edge back to be honest..Not at the level i want so i dont expect much at all! maybe towards the end of summer

Fair enough I s'pose - but in my time I have played a lot of junior golf at different levels and am really struggling to remember any displays of temper like that.

Maybe it says more about the intensity the game appears to be played at today! Whereas I have always played the game - and it is a game - to relax.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:29 pm

I suppose half the juniours at my club broke the odd club from what i can remember. Obviously 99% of us get out of it. When i see someone older doing something like that i am very much taken a back. To be honest i laugh at them. But we were quite involved at a juniour level, and pretty angry occasionally

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

Mysti - happy birthday

Apart from the usual swearing, club throwing. I once missed a 3 inch putt, dropped the ball on the green, and did a 360 spin and swing with putter, caught the ball perfectly and watched it fly to towards my friend catching him on the shin.

I have also been stuck in a bunker and after attempt three to get just started swinging in anger, and still been doing 15 shots later shouting at the ball to get out the badword bunker.

I still have a tendency to slam the club off the floor when I hit a few bad shots in a row

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:34 pm

its not my bday pal-- its in 6 days- i must have put it on wrong lol. thanks though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:36 pm

Ahhhh well, enjoy it in 6 days times

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:11 pm

I take pretty good care of my clubs - occasionally known to slam a driver down after a particularly poor drive. Broken a few clubs but all have been through play - couple of broken shafts on irons and smashed the face of a driver in and a 4 wood too.
I play a fair bit of badminton, my record with breaking rackets is worse. I've broken a few bysmacking them against my leg on on the court. Even broke one over someone's back once when they stupidly stepped onto court. I should have charged him it was a decent £80 racket that i'd only had a couple of months.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:23 pm

one putter i broke over my knee- in fairness i didnt realise i had that sort of strength

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jun 2012, 7:51 am

Nearly got hit twice on the same green in the winter. No shout of fore or anything, so second ball was returned with gusto, about 50 yards over their heads.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Jun 2012, 9:36 am

I dont think anyone can complain if you hit back a ball that has been hit at you, or you just pocket it.

What are the rules when this happens? I assume just the normal outside interference rules.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 19 Jun 2012, 9:53 am

McLaren wrote:I dont think anyone can complain if you hit back a ball that has been hit at you, or you just pocket it.

What are the rules when this happens? I assume just the normal outside interference rules.
You don't think anyone could complain?? What about the possibility they hit into you by accident? You take my ball or hit it in the trees you'll regret it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 19 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

McLaren wrote:I dont think anyone can complain if you hit back a ball that has been hit at you, or you just pocket it.

There are two possibilities here:

1. They hit it at you accidentally, and by touching their ball in any way, you're being a bit of a Richard.
2. Thay hit it at you deliberately, in which case you've probably been a bit of a Richard to deserve it.

You're really not coming out of this looking too good Wink
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:03 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

You don't think anyone could complain?? What about the possibility they hit into you by accident? You take my ball or hit it in the trees you'll regret it.

Yes Mac, you could be severly moderated !!!!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:04 am

“You take my ball or hit it in the trees you'll regret it.”

Bloody hell navy, that is a bit severe. Just the other day I hit up to a blind green and when I got over the hill realised the group in front were still on it. My ball was gone, and I know for sure it would have been on the green, as the group ahead walked off the look they gave me confirmed they had taken the ball. I just accepted it as I should have made sure the green was free. I really didn’t for a moment feel any anger towards them, just with myself for endangering a fellow player.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:20 am

McLaren wrote:“You take my ball or hit it in the trees you'll regret it.”

Bloody hell navy, that is a bit severe. Just the other day I hit up to a blind green and when I got over the hill realised the group in front were still on it. My ball was gone, and I know for sure it would have been on the green, as the group ahead walked off the look they gave me confirmed they had taken the ball. I just accepted it as I should have made sure the green was free. I really didn’t for a moment feel any anger towards them, just with myself for endangering a fellow player.

In any club, society, competition or casual game I've played in, taking or even touching someone else's ball is a big no-no and simply wouldn't happen. If, a ball gets accidently played through you, either you point out the error of their ways and tell them not to do it again, or let them through because you're being slow.

Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:27 pm

I'd be pretty peeved off if I knew for sure somebody had moved my ball out of spite.

Not in the spirit of the game at all and i'd question what type of course i was playing at if that behaviour was seen as acceptable.

Not sure why all blind greens don't have bells by the side of them. Just asking for trouble when they don't. Same for blind fairways.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:48 pm

McLaren wrote:“You take my ball or hit it in the trees you'll regret it.”

You are completely dillusional pal. Your a para cat. You probally hit it in the trees. But if your right that they nicked your ball you shouldnt just accept it!! Ok its obvious that you do this to others so from that pov you are of course being consistant. But its just not the way most of us look at things.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Tue 19 Jun 2012, 1:12 pm

I broke my 6 iron by throwing it in disgust and as it went swinging away it caught a sapling perfectly and broke in half. Felt a prat but not as much as when I took it to my pro and he made it very clear to me that this was not acceptable! Not done it since.

I have a friend who use to hit his bag with his clubs. He had a stand bag and the legs slowly got more and more bent and instead of standing at about 60 degrees it was more like 45. Then one day it put it down on a path and the legs just gave way following one smack too many. As you can imagine were all really sympathetic!

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next