The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forget the gap, enjoy the test series.

+14
munkian
offload
thebandwagonsociety
aitchw
formerly known as Sam
fa0019
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
disneychilly
Barney McGrew did it
The Great Aukster
Intotouch
Thomond
DAVESA
Biltong
18 posters

Go down

Forget the gap, enjoy the test series. Empty Forget the gap, enjoy the test series.

Post by Biltong Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

I have been reading a number of articles here today discussing the Summer tours and what the results mean at this point in time.

Well in my view there are factors everyone missed or didn’t consider.

When was the last time the NH unions have sent their best possible squads considering injury omissions?

Some may have, but I can’t remember a NH union sending their best squad to us for some time.

Then there is also the fact that test series allows teams to adapt, learn from the first test and how to counter a team.

It is one thing to study video material before a one off test and working on the theory of how to handle a match situation and a totally different matter altogether when it is fresh in your memory when you had a one on one situation with a specific player.

Knowing someone can step off their left leg, and actually seeing it happen right in front of you, whether you are watching his feet, hips or his eyes. That personal experience of meeting a SBW or Willam Alberts for the first time is vastly more valuable than hearing about a player which can often be built up by media frenzy or a highlights video of a player’s best moments in a season.

So my question is how much comparison is there to draw between two totally different circumstances. One where you play a SH team once a year and study video material, or one where you get three bites at the same cherry, with an arguably much stronger squad?

Is there a gap between the two hemispheres?

Well it depends on how you look at it. Does the SH win their one off matches when they tour end of their season where they often leave a handful of stars behind to rest?

For me it isn’t about the gap, it is about the here and now, I think we are fortunate that some guy in a doctor’s type jacket with thick glasses and buck teeth came up with the idea to have test series reinstated. It provides so much more for the rugby loving public and definitely allows for more competitive rugby.

However you want to see it, forget about the bloody gap, enjoy the test series, in my whole life, due to the period when South Africa was in isolation, this is the first ever test series I can watch in my own country.

Perhaps all this arguing about this and that should be set aside and just be revered as the return of the most awesome spectacle in Rugby Union.

I can tell you, I never thought I would ever be able to witness a full test series in my home country.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Forget the gap, enjoy the test series. Empty Re: Forget the gap, enjoy the test series.

Post by DAVESA Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

Yes this test series against England has been really exiting. Good on the NH teams sending their best teams(except for injuries). Its been a joy to watch.

The Gap.... Its a mental thing(this is the gap)

DAVESA

Back to top Go down

Forget the gap, enjoy the test series. Empty Re: Forget the gap, enjoy the test series.

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:34 pm

Spoiler:

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:34 pm

I agree Dave, the more you talk about the gap, the more you manufacture one.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:40 pm

Absolutely! I'm definitely enjoying the rugby.

I'm not sure who you mean by NH sides not sending their best teams. England and France I assume? What changed this year that they managed to get a hold of their best players for a stretch of time/ or chose to send their best players for a stretch of time (I'm not sure what caused these unions to do otherwise in the past)?

Certainly Ireland always sends the best of whoever is left standing on tour. I'm pretty sure Scotland and Wales do too. Not sure about Italy.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

Not sure why you say forget the gap Biltong? It is possible to enjoy the series even if the teams are mismatched.

Considering Sanzar have won six of the seven RWCs to be played, there is unquestionably a considerable gap between the rugby hemispheres. The fact there is such a gulf in class means the NH players have to commit to the games with no thought for their personal welfare to try to bridge it through sheer endeavour. That makes for a far more emotional spectacle rather than detract from it.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:12 pm

Not overly worried about 'the gap' at this stage of the RWC cycle, particularly with a tour to the SH. What's important to me is what we learn, good and bad. I'd swap any number of such spankings for the RWC'15.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:14 pm

Aukster from what I saw this weekend, there weren't many mismatches around.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:48 pm

Were you not in SA in 96 Biltong?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

disneychilly wrote:Were you not in SA in 96 Biltong?
Yea, but we will still full of euphoria with our first RWC that the series vs the all Blacks pailed by comparison. Besides was that not only two tests?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:03 pm

Haha wouldn't have had anything to do with the first NZ series win in SA? Wink

No the 3N happened with one game in NZ, then four in SA (the last three were the series). Second last game was in Pretoria where we won the series and you beat us at Ellis Park for the last one. Was 2-1 for the series and 4-1 for the year if that makes any sense.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Yea, but we will still full of euphoria with our first RWC that the series vs the all Blacks pailed by comparison. Besides was that not only two tests?

It was 4 tests Biltong, in Cape Town, Durban, Pretoria and Jo'burg, though technically the first one was a 3N fixture. NZ won the 1st 3, their first ever series win in SA.

Edit, too slow!
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:05 pm

Ta, nothing to do with you beating us, we are used to that by now, are you still used to us beating you?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

It was 4 tests Biltong, in Cape Town, Durban, Pretoria and Jo'burg, though technically the first one was a 3N fixture. NZ won the 1st 3, their first ever series win in SA.

Edit, too slow!

Would you guys like me to delete your posts? steam

Enough already, I remember now. Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

biltongbek wrote:Ta, nothing to do with you beating us, we are used to that by now, are you still used to us beating you?

Only away from home mate Wink

At the time lots of credit in NZ was given to having neutral referees for the series Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Ta, nothing to do with you beating us, we are used to that by now, are you still used to us beating you?

Only away from home mate Wink

At the time lots of credit in NZ was given to having neutral referees for the series Whistle

Like the one we had in our QF.Forget the gap, enjoy the test series. Smiley-laughing021
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:21 pm

I would say one thing however on the gap..... the 3N sides don't lose matches away from home... away wins against each other are very very rare.

AUS have lost only 2 out of 13 matches to SA away from home in 10 years.... SA have lost only 3 from 13 matches away to AUS in the same period.

NZ have lost only 2 matches against SA & AUS combined since 2002... over 25 matches.

NH teams are weaker sure... but giving them expectations as high as other 3N sides is a little optimistic. I do think that both Wales and England should have won at at least 1 match however... I still think both is very possible to achieve.

If you can't beat these guys in your own patch what chance do you have in their own backyard???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:28 pm

I've been enjoying the test matches, particularly the Aus vs Wales and the SA vs England (the NZ vs Ire and the Scottish ones haven't done a lot for me). I enjoyed the first test against the Boks more than the second even though England played worse. The second test was spoilt a tad by that idiot Rolland and his 'look at me' routine. Never thought I'd rather have Walsh than a NH ref but there you go.

Looking forward to the third round of games this weekend, bit gutted Benny Youngs is injured though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

It's kind of hard to just enjoy the game when you spend most of it screaming at the box because of yet another dumb move being repeated for the umpteenth time by the same dumb player who should've learnt from the previous 30 times he made the same mistake.

Seriously though, you're right. I said before the tour if we got one win it would be good as well as being able to guage where various new caps might fit in the grand scheme of things. There's still time for that.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I've been enjoying the test matches, particularly the Aus vs Wales and the SA vs England (the NZ vs Ire and the Scottish ones haven't done a lot for me). I enjoyed the first test against the Boks more than the second even though England played worse. The second test was spoilt a tad by that idiot Rolland and his 'look at me' routine. Never thought I'd rather have Walsh than a NH ref but there you go.

Looking forward to the third round of games this weekend, bit gutted Benny Youngs is injured though.

You should be given a scottish referee for that series, then you might not have such a poor view of Rolland or the welsh equivalent.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:46 pm

Well having watched 7 test matches in less that two weeks I can conclude there is a gap. It may not be as wide as it has been but its still there. For me the gap covers a couple of areas, firstly in skill and execution. In general (and I know there are exceptions) the NH teams have not been as sharp in passing, offloading and kicking from hand. We also don't hit the ball from deep when we are keeping it tight so struggle to get the same gain line momentum.

However, the biggest gap is in applying pressure and dealing with pressure when it's the other team applying it. For me this defines composure. Ireland showed that even the best team in the world is fallable when you apply pressure well. At times on Saturday the AB's were as ragged as I've ever seen them - but they still won. Ireland and Wales gave themselves a chance to win, but didn't have the composure at the critical time to make the right call.

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

Easy to say 'forget the gap' when you are on the right side of it griining at the other team teetering on the other.

There's not only a difference in basic skills and style of play but also in style of reffing.

No one style is right - it's just different and it probably takes 1/2 games to adjust and by then its too late.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:29 pm

Even though we're 2-0 down, compare this to the last time England sent a team down to South Africa and it's a million times better for everyone.

I'm upset with a series loss and I'd be livid if the team returns home without a win (a scenario that is looking more and more likely), but there's no doubt that the 3 test format has produced an enthralling series from start to finish - even though Saturday's match will be a "dead rubber", it will mean a lot to both teams and I feel it will be just as fiercely contested as the first two by both sides.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:58 pm

I don't get the whole "dead rubber" idea. A Test is a test and it's outcome is always important. It doesn't matter what has gone before it's the next game that's the most important one.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:18 pm

I have enjoyed the test series and I would like it every year except the Lions tour year. Great entertainment also watching the other games, I think the NH teams should play two non tests in country before the series to get up to speed due to the gap finishing domestic rugby. We can see from the second tests the game are more evenly matched and hopefully the third test will be as good or better but it is too late to win the series for the NH teams (unlikely anyway).

I feel some of the English and Welsh players (only saw first 20mins of Ireland in the second test) are not playing as well as they did in the 6N probably as the 6N is mid season, this tour is 5/6 weeks after the season for many players. I think Wales and Australia are better teams than we are seeing for different reasons but all the tests are competitive which is good for everybody including Scotland (well done).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:32 pm

If the NH are serious about these games then they need to re-organise their season to give them a better chance. Test tours (including the Lions) should embark immediately after the 6N.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:32 pm

I was that Nerd,who loved tours over the other formats,IF only those twits at the IRB.Would adopt my Universal Season format ,you could haveTwo Tours,a Home one and an away one properly organised with mid week matches too.Wonder what value a 15 match 6 test Tour by the Allblacks,Wallabies.or Boks would be worth today?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:54 pm

It would be good to have summer rugby in the NH so we are playing at the same time as the SH, it would not matter when are where the games could be played also it would help the NH to improve the skill levels to compete.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Tue 19 Jun 2012, 6:38 am

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:I've been enjoying the test matches, particularly the Aus vs Wales and the SA vs England (the NZ vs Ire and the Scottish ones haven't done a lot for me). I enjoyed the first test against the Boks more than the second even though England played worse. The second test was spoilt a tad by that idiot Rolland and his 'look at me' routine. Never thought I'd rather have Walsh than a NH ref but there you go.

You should be given a scottish referee for that series, then you might not have such a poor view of Rolland or the welsh equivalent.

This slagging off refs is and always has been a joke.

We hear the same things time and again about Rolland, Walsh and Owens, that they are only there for their own publicity. Poite is a nutbar, Barnes is clueless, Lawrence and Kaplan? They've had their moments in the spotlight.

I suppose it goes with the job but it's pretty tiresome.

On topic, I think the SH will get just one team into the SFs of RWC 2015.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down