The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visser Qualifies for Scotland

+20
Cryptoyourisan
alexgmacdonald
fa0019
EWT Spoons
TJ1
R!skysports
nickj
RuggerRadge2611
Comfort
funnyExiledScot
Captain_Sensible
wales606
TrailApe
welliamwibb
LondonTiger
RubyGuby
sugarNspikes
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
blackcanelion
George Carlin
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Visser Qualifies for Scotland - Page 2 Empty Visser Qualifies for Scotland

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:28 am

First topic message reminder :

What day is it? It's V-Day. Hug

A young man called Tim Visser becomes eligible to play for Scotland today.

Some facts:

1. Debut at 19 for Newcastle Falcons against Worcester Warriors in September 2006, coming on as a replacement and scoring the winning try in the last play of the game.

2. In his first season, he was top scorer in the Magners with 10 tries, 2 more than Tommy Bowe.

3. In his second season he was top scorer and broke the record for the most tries scored in a Celtic/Magners/Rabo league season (14).

4. In his third season, he he was top scorer with 13 tries in the RaboDirect PRO12 and four in the Heineken Cup, giving a total tally of 17 - his highest contribution for this club yet.

5. Awards/Honours:

* England Schools Under 18 (2005)

* named in the Celtic/Magners/Rabo Dream Team every season so far (no other player has done so for three consecutive seasons).

* Rabo's Young Player of the Season award in his first season.

* Player of the Season and Player's Player of the Season awards in his third season.

* Record Edinburgh try scorer with 43 tries in 74 appearances (in all competitions RaboDirect Pro12 and Heineken Cup).

6. Only 'international' appearance was for the Barbarians against England on 30 May 2011. He scored two tries, including the winner as the Ba-Ba's won 32 to 38

I'll leave the boards below open to people's comments about this.

Invariably this will result in a gush of effluvia from the usual posters who still don't really believe that Tim is any good or that only those whose great grandparents provide a handwritten letter to Andy Robinson vouching as to how much they love rain, midges and Irn-Bru should play for Scotland. But what the hey. It's a free country.

Good luck Tim. Lovely to see you in the thistle.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Visser Qualifies for Scotland - Page 2 Empty Re: Visser Qualifies for Scotland

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

Me too, we really have no excuses now, time to show what we've got Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:04 pm

That's the spirit Yahoo

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

Yahoo shame I'm nowhere near Scotland for this one - although it does mean I get to watch it at sensible o'clock - 10pm.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:26 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
KickAndChase wrote:Few points.

1. On the sourness about Visser originally wanting to play for England, I'd like to think that in his interviews when he talks about Scotland 'feeling like home' etc. that he is not lying. It's perfectly consistent too - when he came to Scotland he became a much better player, was developed and nurtured and probably had a good laugh up in Edinburgh all the time (I mean come on, it's a beautiful city) - although Newcastle is also a great place to be for the people.

I turned up in a country once and, even though I am a Scotsman living in England for most his life, it felt like home. Not enough to stay - but I caught a glimpse of what Visser might be feeling. I've no gripe about him turning up in the navy blue. If he doesn't feel Scottish it won't translate to performances: trust me.

2. This match against Fiji is HUGE. Not because of the fixture itself, not because of our world ranking, not because of the possibility of a southern hemisphere grandslam (Xtra-Lite Version.) But because, as has already been mentioned, our backline is in place. Pretty much everybody on this forum wanted to see:

9 Blair
10 Laidlaw
11 Visser
12 Scott
13 De Luca
14 Evans
15 Hogg
20 Cusiter
21 Weir
22 S Lamont

I mean come on - LOOK at that backline. It's actually good ... in theory. Blair is a fantastic open field runner. Laidlaw has a rugby brain and helps in the breakdown often due to his flexibility. Scott is still untested but it an out and out 12 with creativity. De Luca finally has a good 10 and 12 to play off. Visser is Visser. Evans is Evans. Hogg is excellent at broken field and at full back. Blair, Laidlaw, Hogg AND Visser are all known to support line breaks quickly and effectively (and add to that Rennie, Gray, Barclay.)

Having already demonstrated last week that our pack is not just fine, it is currently on immense form, this is now officially our backline testing ground. Fiji. In dry conditions, albeit heat. Fiji who are playing a running game. Scotland who have played a running game now for years. It's time to convert this potential into form.

If we fail to do this against a side relatively unprepared , off the back of an historic win (which is when we're traditionally at our softest, like putty) then I will officially not believe in this international side again. The reason I say that is because for the first time in my life, I think we've got a number on our opponents and will beat them by 20-30.

WHO'S WITH ME? Braveheart

I am Braveheart

I am too thumbsup clap Ale king RedWine

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:29 pm

1. On the sourness about Visser originally wanting to play for England, I'd like to think that in his interviews when he talks about Scotland 'feeling like home' etc. that he is not lying. It's perfectly consistent too - when he came to Scotland he became a much better player, was developed and nurtured and probably had a good laugh up in Edinburgh all the time (I mean come on, it's a beautiful city) - although Newcastle is also a great place to be for the people.

I turned up in a country once and, even though I am a Scotsman living in England for most his life, it felt like home. Not enough to stay - but I caught a glimpse of what Visser might be feeling. I've no gripe about him turning up in the navy blue. If he doesn't feel Scottish it won't translate to performances: trust me.

2. This match against Fiji is HUGE. Not because of the fixture itself, not because of our world ranking, not because of the possibility of a southern hemisphere grandslam (Xtra-Lite Version.) But because, as has already been mentioned, our backline is in place. Pretty much everybody on this forum wanted to see:

9 Blair
10 Laidlaw
11 Visser
12 Scott
13 De Luca
14 Evans
15 Hogg
20 Cusiter
21 Weir
22 S Lamont

I mean come on - LOOK at that backline. It's actually good ... in theory. Blair is a fantastic open field runner. Laidlaw has a rugby brain and helps in the breakdown often due to his flexibility. Scott is still untested but it an out and out 12 with creativity. De Luca finally has a good 10 and 12 to play off. Visser is Visser. Evans is Evans. Hogg is excellent at broken field and at full back. Blair, Laidlaw, Hogg AND Visser are all known to support line breaks quickly and effectively (and add to that Rennie, Gray, Barclay.)

Having already demonstrated last week that our pack is not just fine, it is currently on immense form, this is now officially our backline testing ground. Fiji. In dry conditions, albeit heat. Fiji who are playing a running game. Scotland who have played a running game now for years. It's time to convert this potential into form.

If we fail to do this against a side relatively unprepared , off the back of an historic win (which is when we're traditionally at our softest, like putty) then I will officially not believe in this international side again. The reason I say that is because for the first time in my life, I think we've got a number on our opponents and will beat them by 20-30.

Yeah why not, me too.

That said I'm still not a huge fan of Evans

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Wed 13 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:Oh I totally agree, I was never saying Weir deserved it more. I think especially during the Six Nations, he sat too far back and played too far behind the gainline meaning we would lose ground. He may be a great club fly half but he is no way Scotland's future.

What? The guy played 20 minutes vs France when our scrum was being utterly destroyed and when we were under massive pressure at the breakdown, so he had to stand a little further back to actually give himself time to do something with the ball. Every flyhalf in the world would have done the same, especially one on their debut! Also, France were camped in our half, so Weir needed to kick for territory, which he did, not toss the ball around and risk losing the ball on our 22.

Also, he’s barely turned 20! How on earth can you make a judgement about him ‘no way’ being the future for Scotland when he is so young? He’s taken to pro rugby like a duck to water, and played a key role in a game plan which got Glasgow to the Rabo semi-finals. His place kicking is generally immaculate, he’s got a massive boot from hand and can mix it up well with his passing. He played a stormer for Scotland A vs England, and has produced the goods for Glasgow again and again.

Seriously, what an insane statement to make. If we made judgements like this for every player at 20 yrs old then hardly anyone would get a cap for Scotland.

Whoops, I didn't mean Weir! I meant Laidlaw. I didn't make it clear, my apologies.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 13 Jun 2012, 5:20 pm

alexgmacdonald wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:Oh I totally agree, I was never saying Weir deserved it more. I think especially during the Six Nations, he sat too far back and played too far behind the gainline meaning we would lose ground. He may be a great club fly half but he is no way Scotland's future.

What? The guy played 20 minutes vs France when our scrum was being utterly destroyed and when we were under massive pressure at the breakdown, so he had to stand a little further back to actually give himself time to do something with the ball. Every flyhalf in the world would have done the same, especially one on their debut! Also, France were camped in our half, so Weir needed to kick for territory, which he did, not toss the ball around and risk losing the ball on our 22.

Also, he’s barely turned 20! How on earth can you make a judgement about him ‘no way’ being the future for Scotland when he is so young? He’s taken to pro rugby like a duck to water, and played a key role in a game plan which got Glasgow to the Rabo semi-finals. His place kicking is generally immaculate, he’s got a massive boot from hand and can mix it up well with his passing. He played a stormer for Scotland A vs England, and has produced the goods for Glasgow again and again.

Seriously, what an insane statement to make. If we made judgements like this for every player at 20 yrs old then hardly anyone would get a cap for Scotland.

Whoops, I didn't mean Weir! I meant Laidlaw. I didn't make it clear, my apologies.

Ha, no worries mate.

Oh, and apologies for the somewhat harsh reply. Just re-read it, not really cool to call someone ‘insane’.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Wed 13 Jun 2012, 5:32 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:

Ha, no worries mate.

Oh, and apologies for the somewhat harsh reply. Just re-read it, not really cool to call someone ‘insane’.

Its no problem man, I understand why I'd be insane for saying that haha. Don't worry about it!

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Wed 13 Jun 2012, 7:16 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:

9 Blair
10 Laidlaw
11 Visser
12 Scott
13 De Luca
14 Evans
15 Hogg
20 Cusiter
21 Weir
22 S Lamont

Yeah why not, me too.

Ah don't ruin it mate Wink remember Walker, Danielli, Henderson, Dewey, Parks pre-2010? If Evans is our worst back (my goodness, he possibly is!) we're cruising.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 13 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

I actually never thought the day would come when I could look at a Scottish backline and see a group of players with the potential to attack with ball in hand and score tries. I don’t care whether Robbo’s hand has been dealt for him with injuries etc, it’s the first time I’ve seen a team where I have no problem with the starting 15. It’s exactly the team I wanted to see. This is the team we’ve been waiting years for. I don’t know if we’ll beat Fiji by 20-30 points, they’ll be a different side in their own backyard, but it’s going to be a hell of an exciting game.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:48 pm

KickAndChase wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:

9 Blair
10 Laidlaw
11 Visser
12 Scott
13 De Luca
14 Evans
15 Hogg
20 Cusiter
21 Weir
22 S Lamont

Yeah why not, me too.

Ah don't ruin it mate Wink remember Walker, Danielli, Henderson, Dewey, Parks pre-2010? If Evans is our worst back (my goodness, he possibly is!) we're cruising.

Fair point, you make a compelling argument. thumbsup

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 16 Jun 2012, 5:16 am

Visser scores two in his first game against Fiji. Whistle
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down