The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the hosts of major tournaments get a free pass to the group stages?

+4
sodhat
Trebs
Duty281
Liam
8 posters

Go down

Should the hosts of major tournaments get a free pass to the group stages? Empty Should the hosts of major tournaments get a free pass to the group stages?

Post by Liam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:43 pm

Interesting debate, with Ukraine and Poland hosting as per usual, hosts get a by to the group stages. Do you agree with this?. I'm sure Ukraine and Poland would struggle to qualify for most major tournaments, but are there as a result of them hosting the tournament. Should the host countries get a free pass to the group stages, or be made to qualify for the tournament as every other team is required to do.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Should the hosts of major tournaments get a free pass to the group stages? Empty Re: Should the hosts of major tournaments get a free pass to the group stages?

Post by Duty281 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:47 pm

No they shouldn't but the money FIFA would lose out on if the hosts didn't qualify would be substantial so it makes sense for FIFA, monetary wise not footballing wise, to give the hosts a free pass.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Should the hosts of major tournaments get a free pass to the group stages? Empty Re: Should the hosts of major tournaments get a free pass to the group stages?

Post by Trebs Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:07 pm

Of course they should IMO.
If a team isn't playing in a tournament, they're hosting, it's a bit weird. I definitely think footballing wise they should be there.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:09 pm

A host has to be there for me, it enables a country to invest more in a tournament.

It becomes trickier when it's more than one host though - I'd rather only one spot be doled out to a host nation rather than narrow the qualifying berths further.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:11 pm

Qatar will qualify for the 2022 World Cup on the basis that they're hosting it. Do they deserve it? Of course they don't, they'll lose every game.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:14 pm

Duty281 wrote:Qatar will qualify for the 2022 World Cup on the basis that they're hosting it. Do they deserve it? Of course they don't, they'll lose every game.

I remember the Aspire Aacademy (based in Qatar) beat United's 5-0 in the Milk Cup last year. A lot of them are African and were brought to Qatar for training and I think they are now legally Qatari, so a few things like that could happen.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 07 Jun 2012, 6:29 pm

yes they should- but they shouldnt get top seedings..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

Yes, of course
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:44 pm

mystiroakey wrote:yes they should- but they shouldnt get top seedings..

This.

It warps the group stages leaving groups like Group A and B which are totally unbalanced.

Really, they should probably be.

Netherlands
Russia
Greece
Poland

Germany
Portugal
Czech Republic
Denmark

They're more balanced as groups.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down