The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you could pick Froch's next 3 fights, who would you choose?

+14
Steffan
manos de piedra
bhb001
ONETWOFOREVER
samevans1
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Mayweathers cellmate
88Chris05
eddyfightfan
BoxingFan88
Seanusarrilius
azania
zx1234
kevchadders
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you could pick Froch's next 3 fights, who would you choose? Empty If you could pick Froch's next 3 fights, who would you choose?

Post by kevchadders Sun 27 May 2012, 2:42 pm

With Froch's best performance to date, there are still a good number of tasty fights out there for him to take, if you also include a trip to LH

If you could pick Froch's next 3 fights, who would you pick and what order/venue?

Just off the top of my head I can think of at least 7 opponents he could face.
e.g. Bute, Kessler, Ward, Dawson, Hopkins, Pascal, Cleverly (good domestic dustup)

Me, I would leave Bute alone as I don't think he would want any part of Froch now. So my 3 fights would be

• Kessler rematch in Nottingham
  • Ward rematch in Vegas
  • Dawson in Wembly

Sub Dawson for Cleverly if he cant get past Kessler/Ward.

Which fights would you like to see him take on?

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

If you could pick Froch's next 3 fights, who would you choose? Empty Re: If you could pick Froch's next 3 fights, who would you choose?

Post by zx1234 Sun 27 May 2012, 2:45 pm

1st: kessler rematch in nottingham at 168

2nd: ward dawson winner in vegas at 168

3rd: pascal rematch at 175 in vegas

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

If you could pick Froch's next 3 fights, who would you choose? Empty Re: If you could pick Froch's next 3 fights, who would you choose?

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 2:46 pm

I'd hate to see him fight Hopkins. That would be a monumental stinker. A rematch with Dirrell or Kessler and then a money spinner with Groves or Degale (assuming Warren would permit it).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 27 May 2012, 2:49 pm

Kessler
Ward
Retire

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 May 2012, 2:52 pm

I don't care about the others as long as he gets Kessler in Nottingham.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 2:53 pm

Why the craving for a hometown fight?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 May 2012, 2:54 pm

Because he deserves it, he has fought on the road and the only way he gets bigger in the UK like he deserves, is if he fights here.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 2:56 pm

Fair enough. Personally I dont like hometown fights because of hometown decisions.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 May 2012, 2:58 pm

Well fair enough, if it was Kessler Froch in Vegas that would be amazing.

I suppose as long as he doesn't have to go to Denmark, I'm good with it.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 27 May 2012, 2:59 pm

kessler, stlieglitz (if he beat abraham), clevlerly.

that way he would unify the title supposing he beats arthur, and possibly win another title at another weight. not keen on ward rematch unless he truely beleives it was a "off night". wouldnt really be keen on rematch with abraham, rather he fight pavlik if he wins he next few. that what be a epic fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 27 May 2012, 3:03 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:kessler, stlieglitz (if he beat abraham), clevlerly.

that way he would unify the title supposing he beats arthur, and possibly win another title at another weight. not keen on ward rematch unless he truely beleives it was a "off night". wouldnt really be keen on rematch with abraham, rather he fight pavlik if he wins he next few. that what be a epic fight.

I'm recising my list to match this

Ward beats Froch every time so no real point of rematch there. Stieglitz he would crush in a unification.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:04 pm

Kessler rematch in Nottingham is certainly the natural fight now, providing Kessler can get back down to twelve stone. His manager has stated catergorically that he can and that's where his future still lies, so hopefully that's the first obstacle out of the way.

After that - if Froch were to win it - I'm not sure. Froch is a natural 168 lb fighter through and through; I'm not sure that a move up to Light-Heavyweight suits him all that well. On the other hand, I don't think he could beat Ward no matter how many times he tried. Certainly, he could close the gap which existed first time out, but that's as good as it's going to get for Carl against the 'SOG', I imagine.

With all that in mind, if Froch did avenge Kessler, my choice would be Steiglitz, providing he still holds the WBO belt in 2013. After so many fights at the opposite end of the spectrum, I certainly wouldn't begrudge Carl a title fight in which nearly all the cards were stacked in his favour; Khan's had them against McCloskey and Salita, Burns against Cook and Laryea etc. It adds another strap to Froch's waist, earns him some good pay without great risk for once and, perhaps for the last time, gives him a chance to fight in front of his home fans.

After that, I guess it would only be Ward left, as I'm fully expecting him to beat Dawson. As I said before, I don't think Froch could beat Ward. On top of that, it's a hard sell to an extent, given that their fight in December wasn't close. You could arguably say that a rematch would be a pointless exercise. However, on last night's showing, it would be hard to argue that Froch hasn't at least earned the right to have another crack, a claim which would only be intensified if he could get past Kessler and Steiglitz. And so, the idea of seeing Ward and Froch in the same ring again within the next year or two maybe isn't as far-fetched as it seemed at Christmas.

All going well, then, I'd say a 1-2-3 of Kessler in Nottingham, Steiglitz in Nottingham and Ward in the States. I firmly believe that Froch's future remains at Super-Middleweight, and after last night's performance, why would he mess up a good thing by moving up in weight?

Last edited by 88Chris05 on Sun 27 May 2012, 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:04 pm

That's a great list eddyfightfan, apart from Kessler, he beats the other two easily.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 27 May 2012, 3:07 pm

cheers.i agree, i also think he has the winnings of the rematch. i had him infront last time, but think this time and of the back of the performance there would be no stopping heim.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:09 pm

Yeah I thought in the Kessler fight he could have won, but just didn't do enough and left it too late. I had Kessler by 2-3 rounds, but many were close.

Froch improves as he fights different styles and not many fighters do.

I picked Kessler the first time round, I would definitely make Froch favourite this time.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun 27 May 2012, 3:09 pm

Kessler is on the slide. I'd expect Froch to KO him in a rematch.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 3:11 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Kessler is on the slide. I'd expect Froch to KO him in a rematch.

On what evidence is he on the slide?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:12 pm

Probably referencing the fact he got dropped by Green, although I don't buy too much into that.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 27 May 2012, 3:14 pm

Cleverly won't even fight his mandatory for his tinfoil WBO belt, how would he ever agree to fight Froch hahaha.

I'm just glad that Britain has a 2nd proper champion of the world again. 2 top guys Burns and Froch.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:16 pm

What about Khan, he only lost his belts to a cheat?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun 27 May 2012, 3:17 pm

azania wrote:
Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Kessler is on the slide. I'd expect Froch to KO him in a rematch.

When was the last time he looked good? He's had serious injury problems and been through some grueling fights. Last time out he looked terrible early on, getting dropped by Alan Green. Has Kessler ever been down before?

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 3:18 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Probably referencing the fact he got dropped by Green, although I don't buy too much into that.

Nah. I don't read much into that. He got back up and ko'd him. I read a lot into that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Sun 27 May 2012, 3:19 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:kessler, stlieglitz (if he beat abraham), clevlerly.

I'm recising my list to match this

Ward beats Froch every time so no real point of rematch there. Stieglitz he would crush in a unification.

Agreed that is a good list from Eddy. Though your original list with Retire as the third is still a good point Seanusarrilius, in the sense that he admitted himself if he lost against Bute he'd be announcing his retirement straight after the fight.

Though Froch not had too many fights, he's been in some wars, and is now pushing the late 30's so I think he only has around 2 years max left at the top.

Last edited by kevchadders on Sun 27 May 2012, 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 3:20 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Cleverly won't even fight his mandatory for his tinfoil WBO belt, how would he ever agree to fight Froch hahaha.

I'm just glad that Britain has a 2nd proper champion of the world again. 2 top guys Burns and Froch.

If the money's right, it will happen. And the options Warren will want.

I wouldn't call Carl a proper Champion seeing as that honour belongs to Ward. As for Burns.....keep him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 3:21 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:
azania wrote:

When was the last time he looked good? He's had serious injury problems and been through some grueling fights. Last time out he looked terrible early on, getting dropped by Alan Green. Has Kessler ever been down before?

Had Calzaghe been down before he got dropped by Brewster (I could be wrong)? Was he on the slide? The issue is not getting dropped at a higher weight, but what you do after that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:29 pm

Froch beats Kessler in a rematch for me.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 27 May 2012, 3:30 pm

azania wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Cleverly won't even fight his mandatory for his tinfoil WBO belt, how would he ever agree to fight Froch hahaha.

If the money's right, it will happen. And the options Warren will want.

I wouldn't call Carl a proper Champion seeing as that honour belongs to Ward. As for Burns.....keep him.

Dunno about that mate. I can't see Froch moving up a division to fight a nobody (in world terms) when he is so comfortable at 168. He is 35 now and probably has about 3 fights left like the OP points out. Kessler rematch is a given, then pick up another strap (didn't Ward get his WBC belt stripped) in a soft match up because heck I think he deserves one haha. Then a fight hurrah against Pascal, alright so move up for that, but they both promised they would fight for Frochs last fight. Froch is massive in Canada now, he would make 3 times more fighting a proper elite fighter in Pascal rather that a 20 odd year old who fights nurses. Cleverly ain't a draw and never will be. Isn't exciting and lacks the power and personality. And that's what the Brits love.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 3:32 pm

Kessler
Pavlik
Ward

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:32 pm

azania wrote:
azania wrote:

Had Calzaghe been down before he got dropped by Brewster (I could be wrong)? Was he on the slide? The issue is not getting dropped at a higher weight, but what you do after that.

Calzaghe got dropped by both Hopkins and Jones in the first round and went on to win. Was he on the slide? Well, he retired but I think that was more of nothing more to achieve in his mind so I would answer no.

Also, no way should a fight with Clev happen. Clev hasn't done enough to deserve it ala Froch with Calzaghe (hums turning back the years!). Kessler, Ward and then retire would be my call.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun 27 May 2012, 3:33 pm

azania wrote:
azania wrote:

Brewster? I don't think you mean the HW Lamont Brewster who KO'd Wlad. I think you probably mean Charles Brewer who Calzaghe beat via wide UD. Brewer never knocked Calzaghe down though, so you must mean Byron Mitchell, who knocked Calzaghe down in the 2nd before getting stopped himself in the same round. Anyway, It's not the knockdown that worries me most about Kessler, it's the fact that he looked terrible. The pre-Calzaghe version of Kessler was an animal. The way he demolished Bayer, humiliated Mundine and absolutely smashed Andrade was hugely impressive. The post Calzaghe version is not so impressive. Whether it be due to injury or lack of confidence he's never been the same fighter. Kessler used to have one of the best straight rights in boxing, what's happened to it? I wouldn't be surprised if he's got serious hand issues.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 27 May 2012, 3:36 pm

It looks like Ward against Dawson next is a strong possibility so that would leave the division open for Froch to possibly be the actual man at the weight for the first time which I would like to see.

A win over Kessler at SMW, and maybe fights with Pavlik/Steiglitz and then in 2 years time there could be potential with Groves/DeGale.

Kessler would be the big one for me though as it just looks like a genuine pick em classic. Would favour Froch to edge it this time if in Nottingham though if he can reproduce that kind of performance.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 3:41 pm

Froch v Pavlik would do big things stateside.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 27 May 2012, 3:48 pm

and be a highly entertaining fight

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun 27 May 2012, 3:53 pm

Froch v Pavlik/Kessler/Pascal are all guaranteed great fights. Froch v Ward rematch would be a guranteed stinker.

No way would Warren let Cleverley or Groves anywhere near Froch. It would be man vs boys.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 3:56 pm

Bottom line is that getting dropped is not an indicator to whether a boxer is on the slide.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 4:00 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Cleverly won't even fight his mandatory for his tinfoil WBO belt, how would he ever agree to fight Froch hahaha
Obsessed...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun 27 May 2012, 4:00 pm

Well of course it can be. Look at how Calzaghe got dropped in his last two fights. He knew it was the right time to get out.

Like I said, Kessler looked terrible and got dropped last time out. Clear signs that all is not well.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 4:02 pm

I think Froch should give Dirrell a rematch stateside after the controversial decision last time. I had Dirrell winning it. A rematch is only fair in my opinion

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 4:04 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Well of course it can be. Look at how Calzaghe got dropped in his last two fights. He knew it was the right time to get out.

Like I said, Kessler looked terrible and got dropped last time out. Clear signs that all is not well.

So when a fighter get's dropped its an indication that he's on the slide. Perhaps Ali should have paid attention to that when Cooper dropped him.

Getting dropped is an occupational hazard in boxing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sun 27 May 2012, 4:09 pm

azania wrote:
Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Well of course it can be. Look at how Calzaghe got dropped in his last two fights. He knew it was the right time to get out.

So when a fighter get's dropped its an indication that he's on the slide.

It can be, yes.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 4:14 pm

Manny was koed by a jab as I remember look at what he has achieved since.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 4:15 pm

Was Carl on the slide when Taylor dropped him?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 4:17 pm

No he just did what Bute could ot do when stepping up to higher level opposition and thats recover and come right back.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 4:26 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:No he just did what Bute could ot do when stepping up to higher level opposition and thats recover and come right back.

Like Kessler did in the Green fight?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 4:29 pm

Kessler is not all that,easy to figure out just ask Ward and Dirrell.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 4:30 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Kessler is not all that,easy to figure out just ask Ward and Dirrell.

Well he beat Froch. So what does that make Carl seeing as a boxer who isn't all that beat him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 27 May 2012, 4:56 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Kessler is not all that,easy to figure out just ask Ward and Dirrell.

Do you mean Arthur Abraham? Kessler never fought Dirrell.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 4:58 pm

Why would you ask Dirrell? Headscratch

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 4:59 pm

azania wrote:

Well he beat Froch. So what does that make Carl seeing as a boxer who isn't all that beat him.
Well based on last nights fight apparently Froch would destroy Kessler now...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 27 May 2012, 5:16 pm

For me the two important matchups would be Kessler and Pascal. I'm a massive Froch fan but I don't see him doing anything to Ward.

Kessler wants it and Carl wants it. I saw a bit on KOTV where he was talking about what he's gonna do now and he said himself he wasn't too keen on Ward again and had his sights set on Kessler.

Carl's much heralded run of great opposition started with Pascal so it would be a great end to an exciting story if he ended it with Pascal too. The only thing blocking that being that Pascal's a light heavy and Carl looks like a fairly small super middleweight. He's done it once before, but with another 7 pounds to play with Pascal would be at an advantage. Otherwise skill and conditioning certainly suits Froch. We'll have to see how he comes through against Tavoris.

If there had to be another match between these two then there are afew names. Stieglitz, any point? I would't begrudge him a comparatively easy one after all this but I'm sure he'd prefer something more challenging. Pavlik has barely done anything since Martinez other than getting bladdered and then arrested. It would be big in the states but what has Kelly done to earn it? Abraham II? No point. Bute II? No point.

So yeah, a long winded way of me saying Kessler and Pascal rematches are the best looking fights to me. I'd pick him to decision both of them, pending Pascal's next outing.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next