The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v West Indies, 2nd Test - Trent Bridge

+32
VTR
Biltong
sirfredperry
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Gregers
Mike Selig
DouglasJardinesbox
paulscholes
guildfordbat
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
JDizzle
Shelsey93
Carrotdude
gboycottnut
ShahenshahG
jeffwinger
dyrewolfe
Duty281
mystiroakey
msp83
alfie
packofwolves
trebellbobaggins
Good Golly I'm Olly
eirebilly
Cowshot
hampo17
Liam
ShankyCricket
GSC
Fists of Fury
36 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

England v West Indies, 2nd Test - Trent Bridge - Page 9 Empty England v West Indies, 2nd Test - Trent Bridge

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 25 May 2012, 10:37 am

First topic message reminder :

England unchanged. Rampaul and Shillingford in for the Windies.

Windies win the toss and will bat. A great toss to win - runs galore today.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

England v West Indies, 2nd Test - Trent Bridge - Page 9 Empty Re: England v West Indies, 2nd Test - Trent Bridge

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 1:27 pm

Am I alone in thinking it is Pathetic England are being hammered like this when they should have batted out a good lead on a good surface,

The windies will get 400 at least on this and win and go on to win the series, I dread what the sa will do now.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

England v West Indies, 2nd Test - Trent Bridge - Page 9 Empty Re: England v West Indies, 2nd Test - Trent Bridge

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 May 2012, 1:32 pm

To me Bairstow looks a little out of his depth in test cricket at this moment in time. Unless he makes runs in the second innings I would like to see James Taylor or Steven Finn come in for him. Not saying he won't be a future test player, but I think it has just come a little early for him
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 27 May 2012, 1:34 pm

Ultimately the damage may have been done yesterday. If they can see off the new ball, this attack is pretty toothless.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 May 2012, 2:02 pm

Well well it can all change quickly eh?

Missed most of the morning session - so I suppose you can blame me for the collapse Smile Back on duty now.

I did have just a niggling suspicion that if one went early we might see a repeat of the Lord's first innings , though it really shouldn't have on this pitch ! I saw KP go , but what happened to the rest ? Bad shots or good bowling ?

Thankful that Strauss has kicked on for once on a second day...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 2:26 pm

well that's the match then.

they did well to bat first against what we all know to be a mentally weak batting side and the smashed us out of it.

Well played the sams, they have won this game for their side.

Strauss did well, the rest of the side let him down badly.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 2:26 pm

alfie!!!!!!!!!

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 27 May 2012, 2:30 pm

2nd test in a row where we've failed to bat the other team out the game. Need to rediscover our ruthless edge.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 2:32 pm

All winter too puss!!

I'd say we have become a consistently poor batting side for 8 months now. And shown glimpses of reducing form since the ashes.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 27 May 2012, 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 May 2012, 2:33 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:alfie!!!!!!!!!

Can't blame me for that one , trebs , I am watching every ball now ...

Up to the bowlers now ... Batting andBowling !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 May 2012, 2:39 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:All winter too puss!!

I'd say we have become a consistently poor batting side for 8 months now.

Think "poor" is slightly overstating it...rather say inconsistent ? Or "sometimes fragile" if you like ...

These sudden collapses from apparently sound positions are a concern though. Makes it important this number six spot gets sorted. I gather Bairstow did not enhance his credentials this morning ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 May 2012, 2:43 pm

Broad puts England in front ...

That's something at least Very Happy

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 2:47 pm

Yeah true. Could easily have collapsed to a hundred behind but it's a pitch where both teams should get 500.

Windies shouldn't be too excited either. Apart from two individuals performances, one could be a one off, they failed to do what they should have batting first.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:14 pm

I felt if we were bowled out for 370 - level with the Windies - we would have gone on to win. The fact that we're 30 ahead and rising indicates we will win this easily. Windies to be shot out for 260-280 in the 2nd innings and England to cruise home.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 May 2012, 3:31 pm

Very timely - though not entirely unexpected - fifty partnership from Broad and Bresnan...

...Broad gets out now , rather softly Sad He will be annoyed.

Still need a few more ... Come on Swanny

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 27 May 2012, 3:35 pm

Just back from watching the F1. Fantastic innings from Strauss. A mighty performance. clap

Less so from Prior and Broad. Still with Bresnan and Swann at the crease England are still on course for 450 or so and a lead of somewhere around 100.

Just a sign of how England's top and middle order have largely failed here: Bresnan is now level with Extras on 37 as the 3rd highest scorer after Strauss and Pietersen. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 27 May 2012, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 3:37 pm

That shows the diffence in our sides,

Are we a bit arrogant? Get a little 50 partnership and think the job is done and then screw up? Windies just kept going and did the best ever partnership and from journeymen bats who were working hard. Makes you mad how crap we can be.

Less than 500 really not good enough, especially for the windies who put us in. But once they fell short we should have applied ourselves on belter of a pitch. Now we have to bat last and bowl against a windies team who must feel too good for us now.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 27 May 2012, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 27 May 2012, 3:39 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:That shows the diffence in our sides,

Are we a bit arrogant? Get a little 50 partnership and think the job is done and then screw up? Windies just kept going and did the best ever partnership and from journeymen bats who were working hard. Makes you mad how crap we can be.

Yep. England (both players and fans) seem to exhibit this complacency quite often.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 May 2012, 3:42 pm

Dont ever change trebbs Laugh
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 3:43 pm

Time to sort it. Then Wolfie. We have been too poor for too long to deserve it.

That swagger the Aussies had was because they were the best home and away, we are not.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 27 May 2012, 3:44 pm

Oh well. So much for that theory.

Swann out to Samuels, caught behind, after a not-out decision is reviewed and overturned.

England's innings will be wrapped up pretty soon. At least it gives us more time to bowl at the Windies.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sun 27 May 2012, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 May 2012, 3:44 pm

In all honesty, to get a 50+ lead is a pretty decent result half way through this test.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 3:46 pm

Not that's not good enough, I'm furious at this again.

We are jus giving them more time to pile on the runs and show us up.

Our middle order is a shambles and ruins this team. Time for a shake up.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 27 May 2012, 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 May 2012, 3:46 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:Time to sort it. Then Wolfie. We have been too poor for too long to deserve it.

That swagger the Aussies had was because they were the best home and away, we are not.

1 Series lost in the last 3 years, both Home and Away. What more do you want?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 May 2012, 3:47 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Oh well. So much for that theory.

Swann lbw to Shillingford after a not-out decision is reviewed and overturned.

England's innings will be wrapped up pretty soon. At least it gives us more time to bowl at the Windies.

Caught actually I think wolfe ... Little mark on hotspot ...

Sammy has used his reviews well.

And now another review ... But he lost this time Very Happy

Jimmy stays .. At least for now..

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 3:50 pm

That's fair duty but the signs have been there that our batting is going downhill for ages.

Even the likes of swann have stopped lending support.

Less than 500 must be seen as a huge win by the windies, they must grinning from ear to ear.

Sammy has led them so well.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 3:53 pm

Tell you what we haven't had.. Windies got a shed load of fours off of lucky shots and could have been out for much much less.

England haven't had that luck,

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 May 2012, 3:54 pm

England have currently one of the best bowling attacks so i still think that the Windies have an up hill battle.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 27 May 2012, 3:56 pm

Are they trying to re-seed the pitch in the middle of a match? Headscratch
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 3:57 pm

I am willing the thunder storms we have had to go up country.. The cloud would do for the windies.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 May 2012, 3:57 pm

Kind of depends what happens from here though trebs... If we skittle them second time around no one will be too bothered.

In all honesty I was disappointed with the batting today , but apart from the yet to prove himself Bairstow all those chaps have a pretty firm grip on their positions , have they not ?

I am hoping this is still early season stuff , maybe taking West Indies a little lightly ? Because I agree they will need to play better against SA.

Still work to do here , as the lead isn't going to be anything like what we hoped and expected...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 27 May 2012, 3:57 pm

eirebilly wrote:England have currently one of the best bowling attacks so i still think that the Windies have an up hill battle.

Agreed. Its the only thing that still gives me hope.

Don't despair too much trebell. The Windies have been getting a fair bit of help from the pitch lately. I reckon we can knock them over for under 300 second innings (preferably around 250) which ought to give us a manageable run chase.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 May 2012, 3:59 pm

Why did they not just take tea?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 4:00 pm

Because the organisers are plonkers I fear.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 May 2012, 4:01 pm

Anyways, off to watch the rugby now Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 27 May 2012, 4:02 pm

All out now, perfect timing Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 May 2012, 4:04 pm

Well thats it ...Jimmy lbw to Samuels the wrecker Very Happy

Only 58 runs on - will that be enough to compensate for England batting last ?

Guess we'll find out over the next two days...

I've given up trying to predict cricket matches Very Happy

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 May 2012, 4:04 pm

Lead of 58, I reckon we can chase anything up to 300 so let's roll 'em out for under 357 in this innings. Probably have 4 sessions to bowl them out in so Come on England!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 27 May 2012, 4:05 pm

Lead of 58. Should've been a lot more, middle order fails again. Bairstow looking over his shoulder.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 4:05 pm

All out for 430.

Windies well in control.

Can believe Vaughan said he expected 600.. So arrogant.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 4:06 pm

Windies to get 500. Eng all out for 114.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 27 May 2012, 4:10 pm

Would not want to chase 300. Pitch will be giving a bit more help by day five.

Get them out for 250 would be much nicer Smile

I'll have to leave it to you fellows ... Sleep calls...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 4:14 pm

Night alfie.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 May 2012, 4:30 pm

Thinking about the 5th bowler debate.

when we havent had a decent bat in the team (morgan,bairstow)

then maybe , just maybe what the heck is the point in the debate.

why arnt we just giving woakes or stokes the position see how they get on. its not like they can do any worse

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 4:33 pm

That was nice to see. Proper good bowling.

Would love to see some cloud and these lads swung out of the game.

Any due? It is heavy, thundery and damp here.. Anderson wld stuff them in this.

If it stays perfect and easy they win.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 27 May 2012, 4:43 pm

Anderson again, the windies wanted time for a cup of tea and a cake to decide whether to review and run out of time.

They were done for clean and proper so right to go.

I hope we get the SAMs in tonight and give them a contest.

Of course the chanderwall is in now, get him early or he will make you pay.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 27 May 2012, 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by paulscholes Sun 27 May 2012, 4:46 pm

lets hope we can get 1 of chanderpul of samules out by the end of play

paulscholes

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 May 2012, 4:51 pm

hoping for both scholesy.

i think england need to try and get em out for 150 max

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 May 2012, 4:52 pm

England would do well to get a wicket or 2 beore the close today. Fine start from Anderson this. Kirk Edwards is not available to bat at 3, but going by his form, he won't be missed in that position.
However the terrible form of the 2 openers and the poor shoing by Brathwaite during most of the Australia series are living as to why the West Indies need Chris Gayle back. Now that have a batting lineup that starts with Bravo at 4 and ends with Samuels at 6. Sammy made a hundred in the first innings and Edwards made one on his debut as did Barath. But they all are so inconsistent that the WI would do well to recall Gayle and Sarwan sooner rather than later.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 27 May 2012, 4:56 pm

Edwards has flu, can't bat until WI are 5 down or bat for as much time as he missed in the field.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 27 May 2012, 5:03 pm

Ramdin batting at 6? That would be terrible for any test side. Even Bangladesh and Zimbabwe have better batters in that position.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next