The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robbie Savage criticises 'harsh' Joey Barton ban

+3
Crimey
Liam
bretmeharty
7 posters

Go down

Robbie Savage criticises 'harsh' Joey Barton ban Empty Robbie Savage criticises 'harsh' Joey Barton ban

Post by bretmeharty Thu 24 May 2012, 11:36 am

This is a reason why sometime having ex players as pundits are a bad idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18196220

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Robbie Savage criticises 'harsh' Joey Barton ban Empty Re: Robbie Savage criticises 'harsh' Joey Barton ban

Post by Liam Thu 24 May 2012, 11:58 am

Well in fairness to Savage he is sort of highlighting the FA's inconsistency in its handing out of bans, highlighting that Suarez got done for racially abusing a player, and in this day and age where racism is trying to be shown the red card, got only 8 games, which was a farcical ban due to the fact he was found guilty.

Then you look at Cantona and Di Canio they all got lesser bans. I'm of his view of, I'm not condoning what Barton did, and in fact where I disagree with Savage is I think he should have got more, just like Suarez should have got allot more and the other players mentioned. I think he's just picking the FA up on they're idiocy and inconsistency of some the bans they hand out.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Robbie Savage criticises 'harsh' Joey Barton ban Empty Re: Robbie Savage criticises 'harsh' Joey Barton ban

Post by Crimey Thu 24 May 2012, 11:59 am

I can see where he is coming from.

His criticism is the lack of consistency, rather than the actual ban. Compared to previous bans, Barton hasn't done a lot.

At the same time, I don't actually agree with him.

Barton is getting extra punishment because this is not the first time he's been in trouble and it's an attempt to give him such a huge punishment that he might not to do anything again as it will presumably be even bigger the next time.

The magnitude of the game is important as well, Barton's actions could have had huge consequences on everything, in the same way that a referee would be punished if his actions had a massive effect. He's also setting a horrible example to those watching. I don't think footballers should be role models, but if the FA are going to insist they are then the punishment is fair.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 24 May 2012, 12:02 pm

we're on the same page clearly crimey thumbsup

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Thu 24 May 2012, 12:04 pm

Ha, I haven't had the chance to listen to it as im at work but thought id hightlight it and put it up here. I was going by the title more then anything.

BBC and their mis-leading titles Laugh

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 24 May 2012, 12:07 pm

martyr_94 wrote:Well in fairness to Savage he is sort of highlighting the FA's inconsistency in its handing out of bans, highlighting that Suarez got done for racially abusing a player, and in this day and age where racism is trying to be shown the red card, got only 8 games, which was a farcical ban due to the fact he was found guilty.

Then you look at Cantona and Di Canio they all got lesser bans. I'm of his view of, I'm not condoning what Barton did, and in fact where I disagree with Savage is I think he should have got more, just like Suarez should have got allot more and the other players mentioned. I think he's just picking the FA up on they're idiocy and inconsistency of some the bans they hand out.

Cantona was banned for 8 months wasn't he??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 24 May 2012, 12:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:Well in fairness to Savage he is sort of highlighting the FA's inconsistency in its handing out of bans, highlighting that Suarez got done for racially abusing a player, and in this day and age where racism is trying to be shown the red card, got only 8 games, which was a farcical ban due to the fact he was found guilty.

Yeh your right, I got the 8's mixed up and I think Savage said his name in the interview, moral is do your own background reading laughing

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 12:26 pm

17 years on and I'm still struggling to wonder why Cantona got such a ban. That scumbag Chav that descended umpteen rows of seats to racially abuse the Frenchman deserved a kung fu kicking. Sometimes it's better to turn the other cheek!

Deep down you know I'm right! thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 24 May 2012, 12:30 pm

At least its gave us the greatest quote in the history of football: 'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think the sardines will be thrown into the sea' laughing

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 24 May 2012, 12:37 pm

martyr_94 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Yeh your right, I got the 8's mixed up and I think Savage said his name in the interview, moral is do your own background reading laughing

LOL and without wishing to stick the boot in, having just done the research, Di Canio got 11 matches for shoving the ref.

Would also point out the Rio got 8 months for missing a drugs test (despite being willing to provide a hair sample which would prove he wasn't actually guilty of any misdemeanour and actually passing a urine test taken 48hrs later).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 12:40 pm

martyr_94 wrote:At least its gave us the greatest quote in the history of football: 'When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think the sardines will be thrown into the sea' laughing

He put Shakespeare in the shade with that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 24 May 2012, 12:46 pm

I though the Barton ban was a little bit harsh but Cantona should have sent to prison for kicking that poor chap in the stand, anyone who doesnt agree just imagine if it was your child he had of kicked. That incident for me is still single worst piece of sheer thuggery I have ever witnessed on a football pitch.

The best ban ever was the one Rio got for missing that drug test, it sent a clear message to anyone that would cheat by using drugs or deliberately miss a test.

dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 24 May 2012, 12:47 pm

dublfcynwa wrote:I though the Barton ban was a little bit harsh but Cantona should have sent to prison for kicking that poor chap in the stand, anyone who doesnt agree just imagine if it was your child he had of kicked. That incident for me is still single worst piece of sheer thuggery I have ever witnessed on a football pitch.

The best ban ever was the one Rio got for missing that drug test, it sent a clear message to anyone that would cheat by using drugs or deliberately miss a test.

But it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that both of them played for Manchester United.... Whistle

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 12:47 pm

dublfcynwa wrote:I though the Barton ban was a little bit harsh but Cantona should have sent to prison for kicking that poor chap in the stand, anyone who doesnt agree just imagine if it was your child he had of kicked. That incident for me is still single worst piece of sheer thuggery I have ever witnessed on a football pitch.

Please!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 12:58 pm

I think it is a bizarre comment coming from a total jessie!

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 25 May 2012, 8:11 am

Can't stand Barton and people of his ilk, always screaming the victim card when they have the discipline of a kamikaze pilot, pathetic person with limited intelligence!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 25 May 2012, 8:13 am

I thought it was very clearly explained by the FA.

4 match was automatic anyway. 3 for each of the other 2 incidents that would've been auto reds anyway, and another 2 for his behaviour being unacceptable.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 25 May 2012, 10:29 am

dublfcynwa wrote:I though the Barton ban was a little bit harsh but Cantona should have sent to prison for kicking that poor chap in the stand, anyone who doesnt agree just imagine if it was your child he had of kicked.

If my child was a racist thug I'd disown him. Would be happy for him to be kicked in the head, might knock some sense into him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 25 May 2012, 10:31 am

Crimey wrote:

But it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that both of them played for Manchester United.... Whistle

Pretty transparent, ay?

What a prat.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 25 May 2012, 10:52 am

God knows how Ben Thatcher was allowed to keep playing after his deliberate elbow attack on Mendes.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 25 May 2012, 11:27 am

The nearest to sense Barton made in any of his childish outbursts was that Thatchers was worse, and it really was!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 May 2012, 4:43 am

This appears to be in the official report:
"It adds Tevez appeared to strike out at Barton initially, and referee Mike Dean, via video link, told the regulatory commission that it was a red-card offence which had gone unnoticed."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18213853

Personally I think the biggest irritation many have is not necessarily that he "lost it" a little on the field (and by so doing could have cost his club relegation), but that he goes on and on about it afterwards on twitter - blaming and criticising everybody else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down