The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurtley Beale

+8
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Brendan
Biltong
yappysnap
Morgannwg
formerly known as Sam
SecretFly
Bathite
12 posters

Go down

Kurtley Beale Empty Kurtley Beale

Post by Bathite Mon 21 May 2012, 11:26 am

So the last few weeks has seen KB play 10 for the Rebels and he has impressed many. I know that he'd played there a bit before with the 'Tahs and he has been forced into playing there for the Rebels with Cips and JOC out, but regardless of that, he's done well.

Is there an argument to have him playing 10 for the Aussies? Is he a genuine option there, or just filling in really well. It's embarrassing how many of the Aussie backs can play so many positions so well. JOC, Beale, AAC, Iaone, Cooper, Barnes can all play at least 2 positions at the very top level.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Kurtley Beale Empty Re: Kurtley Beale

Post by SecretFly Mon 21 May 2012, 11:29 am

It's the sun.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 May 2012, 11:37 am

I think he was a talented young ten that mainly played 15 to build up his experience and he did so well there is stuck (similar to Rob Miller at Sale). Now he's forced back into his more natural 10 position and he is flourishing though he seems to take a fair old battering. In a way he reminds me of Geordan Murphy in that he is just a naturally gifted footballer and he will offer creativity and class wherever in the backline he is put because of his skill set.

I suspect JOC prefering to play 12 and with Cips gone Beale could be playing a lot more 10 for the Rebels. Especially, with Gerrard and Huxley also on the books and showing cannon style boots from the back three.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 21 May 2012, 11:45 am

Haven't seen much of him, but I guess if it's true then he may start at 10 with Barnes at 12, Cooper on the bench.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 21 May 2012, 12:33 pm

He does get a lot of late hits doesn't he?

His defence is good though and yes with JOC outside him it could be a very good axis. Worth noting the Reb's have scored a heck of a lot more tries with him at the helm then with any other 10's.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 May 2012, 12:42 pm

I personally think Deans will make a mistake if he doesn't use Beale at 10.

Barnes showed on the weekend that tactically he is very effective, but nowhere near the danger Beale is.

I can't see how Cooper with so little game time could justify playing there is Beale has almost single handedly resurrected the Rebels.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 21 May 2012, 1:08 pm

I haven't seen much of him but if he is more consistent then Cooper that has to be better for Oz

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 21 May 2012, 1:15 pm

biltongbek wrote:I personally think Deans will make a mistake if he doesn't use Beale at 10.

Barnes showed on the weekend that tactically he is very effective, but nowhere near the danger Beale is.

I can't see how Cooper with so little game time could justify playing there is Beale has almost single handedly resurrected the Rebels.

I guess it's a trade off - if they play Beale at 10 who plays fullback? I prefer AAC as a centre, though I guess if it's 10 Beale 12 Barnes they need a bigger 13, and AAC 15 would work.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 May 2012, 1:17 pm

I think that Beale offers a very consistent and very potent attacking threat but I'm not sure he is the best tactical option. Will Genia at 9 will help that just as he does when Cooper is at 10. However, I don't think they can afford a defensive weak link like Barnes in at 12 so will need some kicking options in the back three. JOC at full back is the obvious choice there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 May 2012, 1:26 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
biltongbek wrote:I personally think Deans will make a mistake if he doesn't use Beale at 10.

I guess it's a trade off - if they play Beale at 10 who plays fullback? I prefer AAC as a centre, though I guess if it's 10 Beale 12 Barnes they need a bigger 13, and AAC 15 would work.

If you are going to play Barnes, which I am not very impressed with currently, why not put him at 15? Otherwise try Cooper at 15.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 21 May 2012, 1:27 pm

I think AAC is their best option at 15 now that JOC is unavailable and Beale likely to play at fly-half. Beale has a lot of pace, surely one of the fastest in world rugby. Barnes seem to know Wales inside and out and would surely be the best option at 12. So that then means shifting McCabe to 13.

Who will be the wingers, Ioane and... ?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 May 2012, 1:33 pm

Barnes seem to know Wales inside and out and would surely be the best option at 12. So that then means shifting McCabe to 13.

Straight through the midfield go the Welsh centres then. Nah, I'd expect McCabe and AAC to be the centres with Luke Morahan at 15 if JOC is unavailable. I think it's Morahan anyway, rapid Reds 15? (if you think Beale is quick this guy will make your jaw drop).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 21 May 2012, 1:38 pm

So we all agree that Oz have this amazing talent at finding players who can play multiple positions at the highest level, but after Beale they do not actually have another fullback?

Genia
Beale
Ione
JOC
Fa'Anga
-
AAC

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 21 May 2012, 1:38 pm

We haven't managed to run through Barnes on the last two occassions. He was brave running into Roberts though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 21 May 2012, 1:43 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Barnes seem to know Wales inside and out and would surely be the best option at 12. So that then means shifting McCabe to 13.

Straight through the midfield go the Welsh centres then.

The thing is wales won't have the ball so there will be no need to worry about the welsh going through players. Whistle

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 May 2012, 1:45 pm

Due to the question over Cooper and the injury to O'Connor, the Wallabies may seem to be short on a fullback, but only becuase there is no current experienced player available, there are however one or two youngsters like Mogg, for example who might just get tested.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 21 May 2012, 1:54 pm

Mark Gerrard could get a recall as well

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 May 2012, 1:58 pm

Mark Gerrard could get a recall as well

His cannon of a boot would put the Welsh onto the back foot territorially.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 21 May 2012, 2:02 pm

Stirling Mortlock could get a recall too.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 21 May 2012, 2:04 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Stirling Mortlock could get a recall too.

You never know... i rate him more when he's injured than a fit McCabe

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 May 2012, 2:07 pm

He has been looking decent since his comeback.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 21 May 2012, 2:18 pm

What about Lote Tuqiri, Rodzilla and Matt Dunning?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=matt+dunning&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=622&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=-lMdazWnnohNFM:&imgrefurl=http://therollingmaul.blogspot.com/2010/05/australian-super-14-team-of-year-2010.html&docid=9sn4u1Sls6focM&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TyldWxb8Buw/S_9PUjpsZYI/AAAAAAAAALY/w9oDyZ-mtrs/s1600/dunning.gif&w=529&h=400&ei=JEC6T4m-K4Gf0QWX2bjPBw&zoom=1
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 May 2012, 2:20 pm

Dunning is too fast. In defence he has a tendency to break the defensive line when he outsprints the other defenders.Kurtley Beale Roflbl10

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 21 May 2012, 2:26 pm

He's too good at dropgoals as well. Aus need to save him for the Springbok games in the higveld

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 May 2012, 2:34 pm

He'll have to hold back a bit there though, that big body needs lots of oxygen.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 21 May 2012, 4:07 pm

When is JOC supposed to be fit again

I think the idea of a

Beale-Barnes-AAC midfield is pretty tasty.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 21 May 2012, 7:30 pm

Barnes has been hopelessly off the pace this season and to be honest i've never really rated him, it's just that Oz with Cooper and co have always cried out for some sort of tactical/territory player.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 21 May 2012, 7:51 pm

Cooper at 15 Biltong!? Are you crazy? If someone broke the line Australia would be screwed
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 21 May 2012, 10:13 pm

Is Mitchell back and playing again to the level he was?

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 22 May 2012, 1:29 am

If Cooper is fit he should play 10. Beale is their best 15 AAC is their best 13 and JOC is just a great player and is probably their best 12 if fit if not Barnes at 12.
If Cooper is not fit put that other Reds Kiwi in, Harris. Who cares about wings get the 9/10 and 12/13 thing working first.

Look at NZ they are going to be without Kahui and Jane vs the Irish. We'll probably have to make do with Savea and Dagg on the wings. Bl**dy terrible. But at least that will let Ben Smith and Taylor have a go. Not much experience out there but as long as Conrad calls the shots and Hansen etc don't interfer too much we might scrap through.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 22 May 2012, 7:13 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Cooper at 15 Biltong!? Are you crazy? If someone broke the line Australia would be screwed

Kurtley Beale Roflbl10

I've been asked that question a lot lately.

Cooper at 10 and Barnes next to him at 12 in my view is not Australia's best defensive combination. James O'Connor is out for the welsh series.

So you need to look at ow you will use your best attacking weapons to outscore the welsh. Genia is a dead certain at 9, Cooper in my view will not have enough game time to be remotely as effective as Beale at 10, O"Connor at 12 is missing, so Ioane at 12, with AAC at 13, makes that part of the equation very, very dangerous indeed. Then you need to see which wingers are in form, plus cooper at 15, who in my view will have time to settle during a match, still has great feet and a good boot. Yes he may blunder at 15, like he sometimes does at 10, but he will have less effect at 15 if he blunders.

The alternative is to bring Mortlock back to 12, as he seems to be in good nick for a sawnsong, and then put Ioane back at wing.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down