The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roberto Di Matteo

+2
Crimey
GSC
6 posters

Go down

Roberto Di Matteo Empty Roberto Di Matteo

Post by GSC Sun 20 May 2012, 12:25

Looks a cert to be next Chelsea manager at this point, Abramovitch has spent too long searching for a CL winning manager to dispense with him days after winning the thing. From RDM's perspective, its unlikely he'd get another job as good.

That said, is it the smart choice? Undoubtedly he has got the best out of Chelsea's aging stars in big games, by going back to the qualities that made them great under Mourinho, most notably resilience. That said league form under RDM hasn't exactly picked up from the AVB tenure. 5 wins since he took over in March, coming at the expense of Stoke, Villa, Wigan, QPR and Blackburn. Is RDM the man to rebuild Chelsea?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Roberto Di Matteo Empty Re: Roberto Di Matteo

Post by Crimey Sun 20 May 2012, 12:56

I'm not sure to be honest. Villas-Boas had the extremely difficult job of rebuilding a side that has been labelled as too old since about 2009. That would be his undoing because it overshadowed everything and he couldn't get results on the pitch. Di Matteo has had a different job, get the best out of a group of players for a short period of time, no long-term goal, which is seen as much easier with a honey-moon period etc.

Players like Drogba and Lampard are good players, but his teams were built around them, it can't be the long-term plan and I think we've seen that Di Matteo perhaps hasn't really imposed his will on the side as we saw John Terry barking orders in a couple of games this year from the bench, telling Di Matteo what to do, if he wants to be a long-term success I don't think that can happen.

I have a feeling he'll still get the job, but not last the year as he succumbs to the same problems Villas Boas did. Di Matteo has flourished with backs to the wall, dramatic last-ditch defending, that's not going to work across a 38 game season.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 20 May 2012, 14:52

If Roberto Di Matteo had got Pisa to the play offs in Serie C, then got Siena promoted to Serie A before winning the Champions League with AC Milan...

...he'd be the absolute number 1 candidate for the Chelsea job.

Because he has done the exact same thing with MK Dons, West Brom and Chelsea people are quick to put him down.

I don't think Di Matteo would play defensive football next season, if given the job. He hasn't had time to get a philosophy across since he came in and had to go back to basics. With a full summer to work with, I'm sure the football would improve next year. I seem to remember both West Brom and MK Dons played quite attractive football under Di Matteo.

It's the same with Liverpool fans who are dismissive of Martinez, Rodgers and Lambert but forget the likes of Benitez, Villas-Boas, Mourihno managed lower league clubs before having success at Valencia and Porto.

Last edited by sportsville on Sun 20 May 2012, 14:57; edited 1 time in total
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun 20 May 2012, 14:53

sportsville wrote:If Roberto Di Matteo had got Pisa to the play offs in Serie C, then got Siena promoted to Serie A before winning the Champions League with AC Milan...

Because he has done the exact same thing with MK Dons, West Brom and Chelsea people are quick to put him down.

It's the same with Liverpool fans who are dismissive of Martinez, Rodgers and Lambert but forget the likes of Benitez, Villas-Boas, Mourihno managed lower league clubs before having success at Valencia and Porto.

clap brilliant point

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May 2012, 15:00

Its more questioning whether hes the guy to rebuild a top european club. With respect to the guy, this season he could take a short term approach and prioritise cup competitions, with the league already out of reach.

This season hes going to have make some hard decisions on older players, introduce more youth, meanwhile being a lot better in the league. Their league form didn't really improve drastically under him
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by ? Sun 20 May 2012, 15:08

Surely the reason the league form didn't really improve is because he WAS prioritising the cup games?

With regards to the league, the damage was done long before he took over at Chelsea, so it's hard to judge how he'd do.

He can leave Chelsea as a managerial (and playing) legend and walk into another decent job on the back of the Champions League success, or he can stick around, risk the reputation he's made for himself this season, and take on the tough job of rebuilding an aging squad.

I'd be surprised if he takes it, to be honest.

?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 20 May 2012, 15:09

sportsville wrote:If Roberto Di Matteo had got Pisa to the play offs in Serie C, then got Siena promoted to Serie A before winning the Champions League with AC Milan...

I don't think Di Matteo would play defensive football next season, if given the job. He hasn't had time to get a philosophy across since he came in and had to go back to basics. With a full summer to work with, I'm sure the football would improve next year. I seem to remember both West Brom and MK Dons played quite attractive football under Di Matteo.

I don't mind Liverpool fans being dismissive of Lambert Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 15:14

Obviously no manager can rebuild on his own - he needs a team around him; chief scout etc. Di Matteo should now go and manage Englands Euro Championship campaign - considering his demonstrated ability to convert a team of "has-beens" into a cup winning side.

I think DiMatteo's league performance was good considering he had to play 10 matches in about 30 days with all the various cups Chelsea were still in (FA plus Champions League).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2012, 15:17

What managerial experience did Pep Guardiola have when he took over the reigns at Barcelona?

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 20 May 2012, 15:47

Guardiola benefited greatly from an amazing foundation, the team was pretty much already there for him with Xavi and Iniesta entering their prime and Messi emerging, and then he used his experience of the Barca 'B's to supplement an already amazing team.

He didn't have the extensive rebuilding job that whoever takes over Chelsea will have to oversee, the core of the team is far too old and influential, it needs to be sorted out. The Champions League win means none of them have any unfinished business at the club and it's time Chelsea rebuilt so they can challenge for the title again.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 20 May 2012, 15:53

Lampard looks quite a bit past his best. Drogba while a big game player, isn't reliable over 38 games anymore. Terry coming to the tail end of his effectiveness. Malouda, Bosingwa and Kalou all probably moving on
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down