The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

recruiting from the GAA

+12
Thomond
asoreleftshoulder
Rory_Gallagher
munkian
Pete330v2
geoff998rugby
Mickado
Cari
Notch
Submachine
rodders
The Boss
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

recruiting from the GAA - Page 2 Empty recruiting from the GAA

Post by The Boss Fri 11 May 2012 - 9:10

First topic message reminder :

Morning fellas and girls,

I've been reading the boards for a while now and have really started to become more and more interested in Rugby and coming from a strong GAA background I've been thinking of a few things in my head. *t least 2 of the starting Ireland team have came from a GAA background in Kearney and Bowe (I'm not sure about any other players). Is the skillset of the Gaelic sports similair enough to Rugby to make a smooth enough transition? Granted I know the level of training and bulking up would have to be serious.

A position that I've been thinking about mostly is 10. In Gaelic Football either the centre half forward or centre half back is generally seen as the play maker. They're the go to guys with the ball to set up attacks, often with long range passing. They have vision which would be required of a Rugby playing fly half. Although obviously would be lacking in other parts of the game even if Gaelic Football is a contact sport.

I've just been thinking of this in comparison to the recent exodus and poaching of some of the more talented footballers who have been lured to Australia by the bright lights and money of a professional game there. The Australian Football would be more similair to rugby in that there is a higher level of contact, a closer technique in tackling and the professional players just seem to be more athletic. There are a few Gaelic players who have made this transitoon quite successfully having been recruited in their late teens and 20s.

So my question is; Do you think realistically that a Rugby club could lure a talented Gaelic Footballer to them to coach him to be a 10?

Or is there any chance of this experiment being successful?

Cheers

The Boss

Back to top Go down

recruiting from the GAA - Page 2 Empty Re: recruiting from the GAA

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Sat 19 May 2012 - 13:57

I've played Gaelic now for about 12 years and rugby for 7. We were lucky in Dungannon that the local catholic grammar had such a good gaelic team that anyone who was half decent and didn't get on the panel for the team would come down and play with the rugby club. We had a few MacRory boys togged out at one point. Their coaches nearly had a heart attack!

But the links have stayed now and there's a few boys still playing for them, one of whom used to be an 8 at underage but is now a full back for the 2XV!

Myself I found that both sports complemented each other. I put my handling skills down to the GAA and my strength down to rugby, although I did make the transition from a corner/wing back to tight head prop... (That may have had something to do with my body type age 14...)
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 20 May 2012 - 20:55

rodders wrote:
Thomond wrote: While Rodders uses the Earls example of not being aware of those around you I think GAA helps these skills.

I stand corrected! Great posts Thomond! OK ..... you know your stuff on this alright.... I'll have to give you a buzz for advice if I ever decide to take up GAA! Very Happy guinness

Take up hurling instead of football. It is a far superior sport, one of the best game to watch on the planet.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 21 May 2012 - 15:57

One GAA player to watch is Darren Sweetnam (18) who is playing inter-county hurling for Cork (mid-field). He also plays hockey and plays outhalf, fullback for his school and has just made the Munster U20s squad.

Obviously multi-talented - it will be interesting to see which sport he sticks with - in the meantime he has a busy life as he is sitting his leaving cert as well this year.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 21 May 2012 - 16:18

Class hurler is Sweetnam. Never seen him play rugby though , I have heard good things about him. Think he might pick the rugby although the Cork County board are trying to get him to hurl by offering "incentives".

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2