The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you happy with your recruiting?

+7
GB1919
dancingweeman
Pr4wn
crazy_dave23
Grizzly
The Mangler US_UK
Thomond
11 posters

Go down

Are you happy with your recruiting? Empty Are you happy with your recruiting?

Post by Thomond Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:21 pm

A week into the free agency period with most of the big names gone,are you happy with how your team has recruited? Do you think any more changes could be made or would you trade anyone?

As a Bucs fan,I'm not happy. With a lot of cap room,you would have imagined them going after a big name like Johnathon Joseph or maybe Nick Barnett. But they've been very quiet aswell as losing Ruud. They've resigned Davin Joseph and signed all their rookies aswell as getting Koenen. Getting Cadillac back and maybe Stylez would be good business.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Are you happy with your recruiting? Empty Re: Are you happy with your recruiting?

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed 03 Aug 2011, 8:45 pm

The Cards have been active and I'm pretty happy with how things have gone (we'll see if I'm still happy once they start playing). Kolb, Heap and a load of other signings. Now if we could just sign a good Number 2 WR (preferably one who isn't Tweeting about his friends getting ready to bust up some restaurant employees).

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Are you happy with your recruiting? Empty Re: Are you happy with your recruiting?

Post by Grizzly Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:27 pm

Cards only needed one gap plugged to win the West and they've achieved that, it's cost them DRC which is a loss but with the exception of an in-form Bradford I don;t see anyone taking advantage of any weaknes in their secondary.
I can't see the Cards going far in the play offs but I can't see past them in the West.

As for my Chiefs, not convicned Pioli got the call that the lockout is over TBH....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:22 pm

Packers have done as the Packers always do... signed nobody external, kept some of those previously at the club and let a bundle walk.

I still feel good about our chances to win the NFC North and go somewhere in the Playoffs as our team is loaded with talent.

Happy we kept Crosby, J. Jones and Kuhn (we use fullbacks a lot). Not so fussed about Havner (we have millions of TE's now seeing as we drafted a couple more) or Brett Swain (signing Jones and adding Cobb in the draft covers the need for WR's)... that said there both special teamers really.

We have lost Brandon Jackson, Korey Hall, Cullen Jenkins, Justin Harrell, Donald Lee, Brady Poppinga, Nick Barrnet, Brandon Chillar, Jason Spitz, Mark Tauscher, and Daryn Colledge.

Quite a lot of guys there.

Jackson is replaced by Alex Green who we drafted, plus Ryan Grant is back... so i'm not fussed.

Lost a couple of LB - but they were all out last year during the run in and we didn't exactly do badly. That said I always liked Nick Barnett and I sort of wished we could have kept him on a lower salary for a year or two.

Jenkins is a big loss, but wanted too much money. Coaches seem high on some of our DL picks from last year, so we shall see but it's probably the biggest hit on our team.

Not fussed about Justin Harrell (always injured), Korey Hall (Kuhn is better - also have Quinn Johnson) or Donald Lee.

We have also lost a bundle of decent enough (but nothing special) talent on the line. Tauscher is old and was replaced by Bulaga last year so that's fine. Worried about the loss of Daryn Colledge only because they seem to be playing 1st rounder Sherrod at LG. It's probably a good way to bring him along to replace Clifton, but he has never played that position.

Anyway, we should be alright... I'm not traumatized by it all!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:31 pm

dave - Jenkins is the only guy there that I would say is a 'loss'.
Besides, you're not in bad shape, there are teams out there with bigger problems....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 03 Aug 2011, 11:48 pm

Not happy with TB at all really. Miles under the cap, it seems that the only FA that we even made a play for was Doug Free.

I'm not too disappointed that Ruud walked, he really struggled with shedding blocks. Caddy Williams has just signed with the Rams, there goes another experienced player who really helped our offense.

Put it this way. The only FA that we bought in that didn't reside in Tampa last season is a punter.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:34 am

I'm happy with the Patriots - in Bill i trust.

Obviously there's fairly big risks involved with Ocho and Big Al, but we seem to have a history of signing "troubled" players and getting them to toe the line. Hopefully this season won't be an ego too far!

Apparently we're switching to 4-3 too, so i'm looking forward to Big Al lining up next to Wilfork in the middle. We're a bit light around the edges though, so i would've liked us to make a run for Umenyiora but it doesn't seem like he's going anywhere now.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

Belicheat was never giving up a 1st for Ose, he prefers to stockpile draft picks rather than give them away !

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

I'm very happy with the Packers to be honest. We haven't really done very much as dave said but keeping Kuhn is great business as he is a very versatile player that we use in so many ways and situations. I'm also reasonably pleased we kept James Jones. Although I hope we don't use much of him as he does have a habit of too many drops I wasn't keen on seeing him go to another NFC North team and that's where all the interest seemed to be coming from.

Brandon Jackson is no loss to us but as I've said elsewhere I hope he does well behind Hillis.

The move I'm really pleased about, and where I differ with dave is the shipping out of Colledge. He's never been more than average and looking back at last season almost every penalty on the OL, particularly false starts, was committed by him. Quite happy to have Sherrod at LG for a year before he takes over the pressure position of LT.

Undoubtedly one of the UFAs that we have picked up will turn out to be a starter by week 8 too. That's always fun to see.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by glasgowhibs Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

Panthers - very happy so far, we've filled some of the many gaping holes and moved on some of the deadwood (Moore, King, Rosario etc).

Overpaid on holding onto D-Will as I felt Stewart and Goodson could've done the job.

Glad we held onto Charles Johnson (if again slightly overpaying, more of a necessary hold onto scenario than D-Will), hopefully another big year from him and possibly he could deflect attention on the left allowing Brown to finally break out.

TE is a major upgrade, Shockey and Olsen especially, we absolutely ripped the Bears for a 3rd round pick for a premier TE.

Derek Anderson I'm naturally unsure of but we did need a bit of veteran cover.

Mare replacing Kasey was sad but necessary, he just didn't have the leg anymore.

Overall, some decent foundations.

glasgowhibs

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 04 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

'TE is a major upgrade, Shockey and Olsen especially, we absolutely ripped the Bears for a 3rd round pick for a premier TE.'

Has to go down as one of the best trades of the Summer - absolutely bizaar that the Bears allowed themselves to get raped so badly....

Last edited by Grizzly on Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

I've already talked about how glad I am to see Olsen out of the NFC North because I rate him so highly but the fact is Mike Martz hates Tight Ends, especially if they don't block. That's the only reason they let him go.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

Still, I reckon Chicago could have got more than a 3rd rounder for him.

I'd be extremely happy if I was a Panthers fan. Charles Johnson looks to be a really good player and locking him up was a priority. Olsen and Shockey should be very dangerous.

With regards to Anderson, John Skelton, the 2nd year QB from Arizona said that Anderson was not a mentor to him at all. He said that Anderson and Leinart just kept themselves to themselves and let him learn through the coaches. That said, I'm really not sure what the point in bringing him in was. He's rubbish and he's not a leader. Keeping Matt Moore for another year would have been more wise!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:44 pm

Grizzly wrote:dave - Jenkins is the only guy there that I would say is a 'loss'.
Besides, you're not in bad shape, there are teams out there with bigger problems....

Agreed... it was more the sheer volume of others departing. I only said i'd have liked Colledge and Barnett to stay!

Also looks like the Chiefs have turned up today... Mclain and resigning Hali... plus you have Breaston.

Pr4wn wrote:Not happy with TB at all really. Miles under the cap, it seems that the only FA that we even made a play for was Doug Free.

Miles under the cap is an understatement!
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/04/buccaneers-top-list-of-available-salary-cap-space/

Buccaneers: $29,560,557
Chiefs: $28,431,354
Jaguars: $28,065,980
Browns: $27,621,161
Bengals: $27,164,180
Broncos: $26,542,469 etc.

GB1919 wrote:
The move I'm really pleased about, and where I differ with dave is the shipping out of Colledge. He's never been more than average and looking back at last season almost every penalty on the OL, particularly false starts, was committed by him. Quite happy to have Sherrod at LG for a year before he takes over the pressure position of LT.

I'm pretty sure Brian Bulaga gave up very penalty on the OL line last year!
Anyway, I see where your coming from and I know he is average, but outside of Sherrod it's Marshall Newhouse or TJ Lang (as far as I can remember) at LG... given the choice I'd have rather we kept College in for a season, bringing Sherrod in at LG a little slower (shortened off season and all) in the same way we did with Bulaga at RT last year where he started from game 5?.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu 04 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm

Never had a dount that Hali would resign - Breaston on the other hand is a 3rd/4th tier receiver, we released Chambers last week and I'm not convinced Breaston is an upgrade so I don't think we're stronger at WR now.

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:33 am

Breaston is a good #2
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:40 am

Not so sure GSC, he has some value but will never be a go-to-guy.
I had sympathy for him in the desert when he was always behind Fitz and Boldin and last year when he had no QB but even so 7 career TDs doesn't suggest he's going to be 100 yards a game and 3 TD receiver when Bowe's head is on the floor.
At last count we had 12 WR on the roster, I expect 5 of them to be cut, this is the year for McCluster to step up as a receiver and given the lack of strength at WR I think this will be the plan

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by glasgowhibs Fri 05 Aug 2011, 12:26 pm

Should've kept Moore in my opinion but he was deemed surplus with Cam in and Clausen only in his second year.

Anderson I don't understand, if it's a mentoring role we were after I'd have convinced Bulger to come in for a year, or even Delhomme if he could've come cheap after being released.

Rumblings are that Clausen and Anderson looking really sharp so Cam has his work cut out. Not surprised about Clausen, follow him on Twitter and he's been working his backside off during the lockout.

glasgowhibs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Fri 05 Aug 2011, 7:16 pm

John Skelton said in an interview that Anderson never mentored him last year, so I wouldn't count on any mentoring going on in Carolina. DA sees those guys as threats to his continued employment, so why give them an edge? Kurt Warner could mentor younger players because he was confident in his abilities.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:05 pm

im pretty happy with the niners without being too excited. Whitner is an upgrade on goldson and the same with rogers over clements. I suppose edwards over morgan is upgrade as he hopefully feels he has a point to prove. Oline has also been solidified. Also like the udfa's we picked up as i have saw some of their games before. Still think we need another DE and olb

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 06 Aug 2011, 12:47 am

100 yards a game and 3 TDs seems pretty high expectations for a #2 guy. Breaston's a pretty reliable guy, never going to be a #1, but knows Haley's offense.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Leedscowboys Sun 07 Aug 2011, 4:02 pm

Dallas have been tied by cap restraints and so have not made a run on expensive FA sure we flirted with Asmougha but better not too have won out, we cut some dead wood on player's who have not performed, and brought in players who know Rob Ryans defence they might be not names but know the scheme we have created some more room by re-doing DeWare and Austins contract so we could further add if need be or carry it over until next year as we will have $20million in dead money.
Leedscowboys
Leedscowboys

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down