The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damien Welch switches to Exeter

+8
ScarletSpiderman
Smirnoffpriest
HERSH
maestegmafia
pioden gorllewin
formerly known as Sam
2ndtimeround
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
12 posters

Go down

Damien Welch switches to Exeter Empty Damien Welch switches to Exeter

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 10 May 2012, 8:44 am

From this morning's E&E:

Welch is seventh new recruit as Baxter builds squad

Rob Baxter has tipped new signing Damian Welch to have a big future at Exeter Chiefs after making him his seventh capture for next season.

The Scarlets forward has signed a two-year deal at Sandy Park after twice speaking to Baxter in the past.

The head coach, named director of rugby of the season at Tuesday's Aviva Premiership Rugby Awards, revealed he spoke to the 29-year-old when he was a student and had another look at him before he moved to the Scarlets from Cardiff in 2009.

However, with 6ft 6ins tall Welch being released from the second year of his contract at Parc y Scarlets, Baxter moved to add the Reading-born player to his ranks.

The Chiefs boss was keen to sign another lock as Chris Bentley, Peter Short and Chad Slade have all left the squad and new recruit Dean Mumm could be involved with Australia until November.

His signing follows on from last week's confirmation that back-rower Kai Horstmann will join from Worcester.

And Baxter is still keen to add another winger to his squad, with Gonzalo Camacho – who won the game changer award at the Premiership dinner – set to be away with Argentina until the autumn.

While he would like to have his squad finalised before pre-season training starts on June 21, Baxter is prepared to wait for the right player to become available. And he is also waiting for prop Chris Budgen to sign his new deal after agreeing terms with the 39-year-old soldier.

Welch will bring Heineken Cup experience to the squad, but Baxter said it was his potential to develop his game that attracted him to the player, who featured 23 times for the Scarlets last term.

"With Damian it's not the experience I've looked for," he said. "He is a guy who I think has got incredible potential and if we can round a few edges off, work very closely on a couple of little things, I think he could be a very good player. He's operating at the level just below being selected at international level.

"We think he's better than some of the selection issues he's had at the Scarlets and we want to help him push on."

Having considered signing Welch twice before, Baxter already knew that he was an impressive physical specimen.

Almost as quick as flanker Tom Johnson, the 18st 12lbs lock will be a useful addition.

Baxter said: "We've been looking at Damian for some time, I think it's the third time I've spoken to him about potentially coming to Exeter.

"I've kept an eye on him all along and when I found out quite recently the Scarlets were prepared to release him from the second year of his contract we got on to things very quickly.

"He came down, did his testing again and he really is a great athlete. He's tested pretty much as quick as Tom Johnson but he varies between 115 and 120kg, has very low body fat, he's a big, athletic guy, very quick and pacy and he's played Heineken Cup rugby this year.

"The front five is a key area in the Premiership and probably even more so in the Heineken Cup. We feel we've got some real strength there.

"I look at our group of forwards we've got for next season now and I can't wait for the season to start, I think they can do some real damage next year."

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Damien Welch switches to Exeter Empty Re: Damien Welch switches to Exeter

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2012, 8:52 am

Shocked Shocked Shocked

NOOOOOOOO!

Scarelts are down to just one recognised lock now!

Damien has the potential to be a very good player. He's been in and out of the team at the Scarlets (widely thought to be down to some issues with the coaches, him not always turning up to training etc. No solid facts on that though, tis all just rumours) so hasn't really shone for us. He can be a bit hit and miss, but he's hugely athletic and has all the potential to be a very good 2nd row, so I wish him all the best OK

Scarlets have to make signings in the 2nd row now though, our pack is all but non existent at the moment with players retiring and leaving Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Thu 10 May 2012, 9:11 am

Not surprised to see him leaving as he never seemed to quite fit in with ND's plans regardles of how well he played, given a run in the side he should do well in the AP, good luck to him and Exeter.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 10 May 2012, 9:21 am

Sounds like he should fit in a treat if he buys into the Exeter ethos of hard work together. Exeter are trying to build up their attacking options ahead of next season and that looks to be a good signing on that front.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 10 May 2012, 9:57 am

mentioned on another thread here on monday that welch was off to exeter chiefs. very much a rob baxter type of player - big and athletic. although there is still a lot to work on in his game. anyways wish him all the best, and i'm sure he'll do well down at exeter.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 10 May 2012, 10:11 am

I think they are right Damien is a good player and will be an asset for them. Not great news for Scarlets, losing three locks in almost the same number of weeks.

Looks like the average age of regional players in Wales is going to be a bout 21 for the foreseeable future.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 10 May 2012, 10:32 am

Welch is an excellent athletic lineout jumper and very quick in the loose but struggles at the breakdown, counter-rucking and carrying - all areas we are looking to improve at. Nigel has decided that Dominic Day, Lou Reed and Damien Welch aren't good enough to take the team to the next level. My only concern is that Nigel says we are looking at brining in 4 players. But we've lost Rhys Thomas,Iestyn Thomas, Deacon Manu, Lou Reed, Dominic Day and Damien Welch. That's six players that's needs replacing in our front five. Can see us going to the RFC to get squad fillers such as Ed Price, Lewis Rawlins, Luke Kendall, Craig Price, Galley etc
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 10 May 2012, 10:36 am

Is there any money left in the Welsh game?

Hate to say it, but I told you so.

The Regions are doomed to fail in their current format. Sad
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2012, 10:40 am

Manu hasn't definitely gone though, has he?

Front 5 is a concern for us though.

Exeter look like they are recruiting well and building a good squad depth for next season. Adding Welch to it, should hopefully help them kick on to the next step.

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 10 May 2012, 10:56 am

dreamer:

believe deacs is off to wasps.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2012, 11:04 am

Hmmm, pants. That leaves us literally just with Gardiner as an out and out TH, with Rhodri and Phil that can cover. So not ideal!

I like the look of the squad Chiefs are building, although I can't believe Budgen has signed for another year! That guy is brilliant Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 10 May 2012, 11:07 am

I like the look of the squad Chiefs are building, although I can't believe Budgen has signed for another year! That guy is brilliant

Surely the term must be, legend.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2012, 11:14 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
I like the look of the squad Chiefs are building, although I can't believe Budgen has signed for another year! That guy is brilliant

Surely the term must be, legend.

Ah I'll save that for when he finally retires Wink Certainly well on his way to it though!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 10 May 2012, 12:35 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Manu hasn't definitely gone though, has he?

Front 5 is a concern for us though.

Exeter look like they are recruiting well and building a good squad depth for next season. Adding Welch to it, should hopefully help them kick on to the next step.

If Nigel is bringing in a few players, and there are academy players to step up, I don't think there is a massive issue.

I admire the restructuring that is happening. Wales Regions are definitely taking the future seriously and looking at a sustainable existence. Not relying too much on expensive ring-ins as in other countries, but trying to develop from within, thus reducing budgets.

Its all very sensible.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 10 May 2012, 1:38 pm

Gutted to here this news - really liked Welch, though of course he had a lot to work on, will be missed.

I'd imagine that Samson Lee will be brought into the squad next season to cover for Rhodri and then we need at least 3 locks and a TH, problem is were already signing Cai Griffith apparently so I really hope he's not our only TH signing

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 10 May 2012, 1:58 pm

Exeter are getting a very good lock in Welch. I remember him playing for us out in Brive a few seasons ago in the HEC, and thinking that he had a good career ahead of him at the point, but he never really got givent he chances at the Scarlets.

I don't think there will be any complaints about him or his work rate/attitude for Exeter at all.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 10 May 2012, 3:21 pm

Exeter get another English player Headscratch

Wonders never cease. Did they run out of foreigners to bring over?

Smile

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 10 May 2012, 3:22 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Exeter get another English player Headscratch

Smile

He is semi foreign he has recently qualified to be Welsh.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 10 May 2012, 3:36 pm

Smile
Bee in the bonnet there, Thunor - want me to get it for you?! Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 10 May 2012, 3:53 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Gutted to here this news - really liked Welch, though of course he had a lot to work on, will be missed.

I'd imagine that Samson Lee will be brought into the squad next season to cover for Rhodri and then we need at least 3 locks and a TH, problem is were already signing Cai Griffith apparently so I really hope he's not our only TH signing

Simon Gardiner ???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 10 May 2012, 4:17 pm

Smile

Nah, he's a foreigner too, born well outside the Devon border - could be worse, he could come from the wrong side of the Tamar.

Welcome, Damien, to the Exeter Assorted Exiles with a Few Local Farmboys and a Smattering of Uni Alumni Chiefs. Chief

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 10 May 2012, 4:29 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:Gutted to here this news - really liked Welch, though of course he had a lot to work on, will be missed.

Simon Gardiner ???

Simon might be going as might Manu, but even with those two we still need a replacement for Rhys Thomas - unless Simon really impresses Nige in the summer (it's rumoured that his work rate/attitude isn't good), I like him but he hasn't played much this year, Peter Edwards has been preferred.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 10 May 2012, 4:53 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Smile
Bee in the bonnet there, Thunor - want me to get it for you?! Headscratch

Cheers. That's cleared it. I just thought since a made an issue of them signing a lot of foreigners I should make a big deal of the signing an Englishman.

Exeter seem to be carrying on their current path. Not breaking the bank, or going crazy. Just keep improving the squad, bit by bit, until all those U18 come of age.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 10 May 2012, 4:54 pm

Some of those coming thru slowly now - Sam Hill, Jack Arnott, Jack Nowell, Luke Cowan-Dickie - I'd expect to see more of all 4 next season

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 10 May 2012, 6:14 pm

Is Cowan-Dickie going to SA with the U20?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 10 May 2012, 7:21 pm

Yes, along with Slade and Hill OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Thu 10 May 2012, 9:50 pm

Oh, Grud! Does all this mean that we're down to Pete "the meat" at TH and are bringing in Cai Griffiths for back up?

furious

Sorry to see Welch go. I rated him. A great turn of speed for a lock and a lump to boot. Never got a proper run in the Scarlets. Gutted.

Nige - make damn sure we get some QUALITY front fives!
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 11 May 2012, 1:06 pm

Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:Oh, Grud! Does all this mean that we're down to Pete "the meat" at TH and are bringing in Cai Griffiths for back up?

furious

Sorry to see Welch go. I rated him. A great turn of speed for a lock and a lump to boot. Never got a proper run in the Scarlets. Gutted.

Nige - make damn sure we get some QUALITY front fives!

I know that's my fear - It took 3 seasons to get R Thomas up to scratch and he was a Welsh int before we signed him, imagine how long it'll take to get Cai up to scratch.

I still can't believe we're in the position where we need to sign 3 locks to have strength in depth and the Ospreys are being mean by not giving us Ian Evans!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 11 May 2012, 2:13 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:imagine how long it'll take to get Cai up to scratch.

I think the Earth will be swallowed by the Sun way before then

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 11 May 2012, 2:20 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:imagine how long it'll take to get Cai up to scratch.

I think the Earth will be swallowed by the Sun way before then

I don't know Griffiths was a good player back at age grade, and captained Wales. So I presume he has the skills, it is just whether or not he has the ability to get the attitude sorted out. Nigel Davies seems to be pretty tough on those who don't want to put their all into training/playing so I would assume either Cai will eitehr sort himself out and be in the match day squad as a regular within next to no time, or he will be playing for Carm. Quins for the duration of his contract.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 11 May 2012, 2:26 pm

Hard to believe the Scarlets have let 3 good mobile second rows go. This season the scarlets started to hold their own in the forwards, now it looks as if they are going backwards 2 years and struggle again. The problem for the scarlets, with no ball their backs will get Peed off and will look elsewhere when their contracts are up.

I am not sure where the Scarlets are going to get a front 5 from next year but they are likely to be cheap and probably not Welsh qualified!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 11 May 2012, 2:31 pm

Alun - I think we are pretty good with our NWQ allotment for next season, I can only think of Timani (Pete the meat is WQ now), so we do have space to bring in NWQs. I think maybe we just need to go for bulk to improve our pack as opposed to the more mobile locks. That said I have a feeling we will end up with a front row and a bunch of players who can cover the back five forward shirts moving around and slotting in as required.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 2:54 pm

Considering our back row players are all very mobile, it would make sense for us to have more grunt like players in the 2nd row. It's what we've badly needed anyway, although to be honest I can see us starting with a Timani/Shingler 2nd row combinationf or a lot of our games.

Hopefully if we get a decent TH that should make up for a lot of the pack trouble we've been having.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 11 May 2012, 3:40 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Considering our back row players are all very mobile, it would make sense for us to have more grunt like players in the 2nd row. It's what we've badly needed anyway, although to be honest I can see us starting with a Timani/Shingler 2nd row combinationf or a lot of our games.

Hopefully if we get a decent TH that should make up for a lot of the pack trouble we've been having.

I'm still hoping we sign that Argie international we've been linked to - or a player of that calibre, then we'll have a Timani/grunt lock 1st choice and other more mobile options like Shingler behind (and also sign another squad lock as well).

As you say we need a very good TH but failing that I'd like to keep Manu and spend the money on either a LH or another very good lock.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2012, 4:25 pm

aye but if we sign the Argie lock, he won't be available till just after the AI's anyway as he'll be commited to Argentina itnernationals, no? So he'll be great for the 2nd half of the season, but we'd really need someone to cover the gap for the first half. Tis going to be tricky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down