The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues to return to the Arms Park

+19
Irish Londoner
Luckless Pedestrian
Coleman
Liam
Dai Tryin
thebluesmancometh
Seagultaf
J_D
2ndtimeround
Cari
maestegmafia
Jimmy Moz
dogtooth
ScarletSpiderman
wales606
Smirnoffpriest
Cardiff Dave
mrzimmerman
XR
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues to return to the Arms Park Empty Cardiff Blues to return to the Arms Park

Post by XR Tue 08 May 2012, 1:56 pm

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10335~2763805,00.html

Been made official. Paid to get out of it from what it reads but good to be back and no doubt interest will perk back up.

XR

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues to return to the Arms Park Empty Re: Cardiff Blues to return to the Arms Park

Post by mrzimmerman Tue 08 May 2012, 2:00 pm

The Blues were only ever a few decisions away from getting back on track. Appointing a new DOR was one and this was the other. Things are looking up.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues to return to the Arms Park Empty Re: Cardiff Blues to return to the Arms Park

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 08 May 2012, 2:46 pm

The nightmare is over.

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5836.php

Fantastic and the Arms Park is to be refurbished too!!!

"This move is important for our future sustainability, important to our supporters, and good for Cardiff Blues."

"We will be investing in improved facilities at the Arms Park over the summer,"

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 2:47 pm

Good news - I wonder how much they had to pay to terminate the lease, and also wonder how much the capacity of the CAP is currently and if they'll be able to increase it to maximum by the start of the season.

Still good news for the Blues and I know the City fans will be pleased

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 2:48 pm

I hear the WRU were in negotiations too, so hopefully the "financial terms" are minimal.

Without the CCS fees (and assuming there is not debt owed) and a move back to CAP, this might be the start of getting the financials back on track.

Completed
New DOR
Back to CAP

Next
Sack Gareth Baber
Hire scrum coach
New centre (13), New THP, Huw Bennett?

Then I might even be optimistic about next season.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 2:49 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Good news - I wonder how much they had to pay to terminate the lease, and also wonder how much the capacity of the CAP is currently and if they'll be able to increase it to maximum by the start of the season.

They are going to renovate CAP over the summer - Capacity should be back up to 12-13K, enough for all but the big derbys and HC knockouts (and the millennium is next door and CCS is still available)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 08 May 2012, 2:52 pm

Yeah, it was always going to need a slight makeover but that can be done in time for them to get a health and safety licence to increase capacity.

...that and maybe some new toilets Shocked

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 2:54 pm

wales606 wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:Good news - I wonder how much they had to pay to terminate the lease, and also wonder how much the capacity of the CAP is currently and if they'll be able to increase it to maximum by the start of the season.

They are going to renovate CAP over the summer - Capacity should be back up to 12-13K, enough for all but the big derbys and HC knockouts (and the millennium is next door and CCS is still available)

It's good to know that the CCS is still available for the biggest games (ie HEC QF/SF's and derbies) although will anyone turn up to these big games if their in the CCS as only 3k turned up to wish M Williams, Molitika, Blair, Fiilse and err Parks goodbye against Edinburgh.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 08 May 2012, 2:55 pm

Dave - where has the money come from to buy yourselves out of the lease, and to redevelope CAP? It sounds almost too good to be true for Blues fans. I guess the only problem is that if the crowds dwindle next season, there will be no excuse. Christ that sounds negative reading it, its not meant to be though.

Wales 606 - Things are looking on the up for Blues fans. I think that next season should be a good season to be a Blues fan, Phil Davies does seem to be one of those coaches that can get people to turn their fortunes around pretty quick. Also he should whip Gavin Evans into the quality centre he was when Phil was his coach at the Scarlets.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 2:55 pm

gcBlues wrote:Yeah, it was always going to need a slight makeover but that can be done in time for them to get a health and safety licence to increase capacity.

It'll be interesting if the fans who've already bought season tickets at the CCS get to choose whether they want a seat or a terrace space...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 08 May 2012, 2:57 pm

clap

at last.

i nearly laughed when i read how the blues 'have listened to their fans'.
if they had listened 3, or even 4 years ago we wouldnt have been in this mess.
in our last season at the cap we made a hec semi. what have we done since the schitty schtadium move?
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 08 May 2012, 2:58 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
gcBlues wrote:Yeah, it was always going to need a slight makeover but that can be done in time for them to get a health and safety licence to increase capacity.

It'll be interesting if the fans who've already bought season tickets at the CCS get to choose whether they want a seat or a terrace space...

Or vote with their feet and boycott CAP Laugh
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 2:58 pm

Its going to be a huge opportunity.

I imagine they will sell out the first few games as the big homecoming.

If Phil Davies can get them playing the expansive rugby he has stated he wants, then it could provide a great atmosphere for the first games and keep the crowd coming back,

What we need now is a stronger front row and for the star names - Warburton, Halfpenny, L.Williams, B.Davies to be fit and firing at the start of the season (pity about J.Roberts and hopefully Cuthbert will stay!).

Perhaps we can get back the crowds of 3 seasons ago.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 2:59 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:

Season tickets havent been on sale. (think they start next week), they were waiting for the boards decision.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 08 May 2012, 2:59 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

ST's haven't been up for renewal yet, they will be in the next week i believe so they're ok there. Got this today:

Season Tickets 2012/2013

Central Seats
Adults
£245

Seniors
£200

Junior
£60

Reserved Seats
Adults
£215

Seniors
£165

Juniors
£60

Terrace
Adults
£180

Seniors
£140

Juniors
£40

Students
£80

Family Ticket
Family Stand (A)
£295

Winged (B)
£365

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Tue 08 May 2012, 3:02 pm

Nice to see the move to CCS lasted long Laugh

Back at the home of Cardiff RFC now then. Just like a proper region should...

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 3:02 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
wales606 wrote:

It's good to know that the CCS is still available for the biggest games (ie HEC QF/SF's and derbies) although will anyone turn up to these big games if their in the CCS as only 3k turned up to wish M Williams, Molitika, Blair, Fiilse and err Parks goodbye against Edinburgh.

Now that there permanent home is at the CAP I don't think supporters will boycott playing a big game away from the CAP. The poor attendance for the last game was to show the board that the fans had had enough and they had to move back. I can see the positives and negatives of that decision by the fans, perhaps it pushed the board over the edge, we wont know for sure.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 3:06 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Dave - where has the money come from to buy yourselves out of the lease, and to redevelope CAP? It sounds almost too good to be true for Blues fans. I guess the only problem is that if the crowds dwindle next season, there will be no excuse. Christ that sounds negative reading it, its not meant to be though.

Wales 606 - Things are looking on the up for Blues fans. I think that next season should be a good season to be a Blues fan, Phil Davies does seem to be one of those coaches that can get people to turn their fortunes around pretty quick. Also he should whip Gavin Evans into the quality centre he was when Phil was his coach at the Scarlets.

They couldn't afford not to pay off CC (and we don't know what the terms were as CC also wanted the Blues gone so they can sell advertising and re-brand themselves) the costs of the CCS were to high.

As for who paid off CC, hopefully PT was forced to put his hand in his pocket as it is all his mess - the other questions are whether it is adding onto the Blues debt and what capacity the WRU were involved in the decision making process and negotiations.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 3:31 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Smirnoffpriest wrote:

Laugh You can just see it now can't you - full house for the 1st game then if they get hammered because of a lack of a front row then the fans will boycott the stadium until Peter sticks his hand in his pocket and buys some good NWQ players - or am I being cynical...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 08 May 2012, 3:36 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Dave - where has the money come from to buy yourselves out of the lease, and to redevelope CAP? It sounds almost too good to be true for Blues fans. I guess the only problem is that if the crowds dwindle next season, there will be no excuse. Christ that sounds negative reading it, its not meant to be though.

Don't know any details of the release from CCS or who will pay to develop CAP.
I guess we'll find out sometime in the future, but Thomas is a multi millionaire and there are many more people with stacks of cash involved with Cardiff Blues.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 May 2012, 3:37 pm

Looks like everyone is starting to get what they asked for for Xmas...!

Good Luck Blues, now make it work and lets see the team play more like they did vs Scarlets last weekend...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 08 May 2012, 3:39 pm

wales606 wrote:I hear the WRU were in negotiations too, so hopefully the "financial terms" are minimal.

Without the CCS fees (and assuming there is not debt owed) and a move back to CAP, this might be the start of getting the financials back on track.

[

Most definitely this.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 08 May 2012, 3:40 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Don't know any details of the release from CCS or who will pay to develop CAP.
I guess we'll find out sometime in the future, but Thomas is a multi millionaire and there are many more people with stacks of cash involved with Cardiff Blues.

It was the constant bitching at the Blues for having no dosh that made me ask, well and curiousity. Anyway it should be a good move for fans and players alike.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 3:41 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Looks like everyone is starting to get what they asked for for Xmas...!

Good Luck Blues, now make it work and lets see the team play more like they did vs Scarlets last weekend...

The Blues, besides a few players - like Navidi and Pretorious, played poorly against the Scarlets, they were lucky that the Scarlets defence was awful and the Scarlets weren't clinical it was just 2 teams who let everything fly so they could attack each other, we gifted you 2 tries and nearly a third and you gifted us a try

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 3:46 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Looks like everyone is starting to get what they asked for for Xmas...!

The Blues, besides a few players - like Navidi and Pretorious, played poorly against the Scarlets, they were lucky that the Scarlets defence was awful and the Scarlets weren't clinical it was just 2 teams who let everything fly so they could attack each other, we gifted you 2 tries and nearly a third and you gifted us a try

All the tries came from good moves, I wouldn't say any were gifted (unless you include the PT gifted by Nigel Owens Wink)

Pretorious, Navidi, B.Davies, L.Williams, H.Robinson (sort of) and Hewitt all had very good games, and it was probably the best Blues performance since before Christmas.

Pretorious and Hewitt were outstanding and B.Davies led from the front as captain.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 08 May 2012, 3:52 pm

I didn't think H Robinson had a good game, I thought he was poor defensively and besides his try which was out on a plate by (I forget which) prop he didn't do too much - B Davies was outstanding though

I thought Navidi showed that the Scarlets were missing a good out and out 7 as he was at every ruck with hands on the ball either jackling or slowing down ball.

But the 1st Blues try was very soft and Fenby (again) showed awful defence by coming in and presenting a 2 on 1 overlap and a huge amount of space for the try - Lamont did the same for the 'almost' try that Robinson should have scored as well.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 08 May 2012, 3:59 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

It was the constant bitching at the Blues for having no dosh that made me ask, well and curiousity. Anyway it should be a good move for fans and players alike.

Cardiff Blues ARE skint. They are approx £6m in debt.
Most of the debt however is owed to one person who happens to have enormous personal wealth aka the chairman PT.
Hopefully, moving back to CAP and increasing the opportunities for non matchday income (like the Scarlets are doing) will help pay off this debt and provide a more sustainable future.
If this can be achieved then it would make it more attractive to those who wish to takeover when the current chairman leaves as he won't be around forever.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 4:00 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I didn't think H Robinson had a good game, I thought he was poor defensively and besides his try which was out on a plate by (I forget which) prop he didn't do too much - B Davies was outstanding though

I thought Navidi showed that the Scarlets were missing a good out and out 7 as he was at every ruck with hands on the ball either jackling or slowing down ball.

But the 1st Blues try was very soft and Fenby (again) showed awful defence by coming in and presenting a 2 on 1 overlap and a huge amount of space for the try - Lamont did the same for the 'almost' try that Robinson should have scored as well.

Lamont got stripped by Robinson (was it Lamont?) - That was from what he learnt with the Wales squad (ask Scott Williams Wink) and was individual effort, not poor defence)

Navidi was good, but he is more of a Martyn than Warbs - He can slow ball over, but not turn it over - Gethin made the best turnover of the game which led to the first try (again individual brilliance)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 4:02 pm

Harry had a good game in that he showed great potential, even if his inexperience caught him out a few times.

His defence is actually the best part of his game usually, just a but of nerves and frustration after that almost try.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 08 May 2012, 7:09 pm

This is excellent news for the Blues and the city itself. A considerable amount of local business was lost when they moved the Blues matches to the CCS. I really hope that all those fans who stayed away precisely because the Blues weren't at the AP will head back on a regular basis. I'd like the O's to take a similar view in Ospreylia too...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Tue 08 May 2012, 7:42 pm

Great News, congratulations to the Blues fans that have been pushing for this.
Now you've got what you asked for you need to respond with record season ticket sales and a lively atmosphere at every game.
Its up to you guys now to get Wales 3rd region back on track. Whistle

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by J_D Tue 08 May 2012, 7:43 pm

Great news clap

J_D

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 08 May 2012, 8:21 pm

wales606 wrote:Harry had a good game in that he showed great potential, even if his inexperience caught him out a few times.

His defence is actually the best part of his game usually, just a but of nerves and frustration after that almost try.

Getting caught from behind by a pretty average second row when he had 10 yards start, suggests that he has not got nearly enough gas to play on the wing! If he had been caught by Shingler he may have had an excuse but Day is not particularly quick even for a second row.

Its a pity because I have liked what I have seen of him in the past, but at the top level pace is vital.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 08 May 2012, 9:00 pm

I'll be buying my season ticket now!!!

We still need to make changes, and it's not perfect, but this move needs to be supported by everyone in and around Cardiff!!!!

The CAP needs to be renovated mind, it can't be capped at 10k all season...

Fist game of the season expect the roof to come off that place!!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 08 May 2012, 9:08 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I'll be buying my season ticket now!!!

We still need to make changes, and it's not perfect, but this move needs to be supported by everyone in and around Cardiff!!!!

The CAP needs to be renovated mind, it can't be capped at 10k all season...

Fist game of the season expect the roof to come off that place!!!!

12k capacity for the start of the season;

“We are looking at a capacity here of about 12,000,” said chief executive Richard Holland.

“We’ve got a very busy few months coming up.

“We’ve got a programme of improvements to get underway in the public and corporate areas.

“There’s lots of hard work to get stick into. But we are committed and we will be doing that over the summer.

“We are going to do the public areas, we are going to look at the washroom facilities, we are going to put a supporters village in place, we are going to look at the hospitality boxes and hospitality facilities in the clubhouse,

“Hopefully people coming back at the beginning of next season will see the improvements themselves.

“We have also got ambitions to potentially take the capacity to a bigger number."

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/05/08/cardiff-blues-to-play-at-revamped-12-000-capacity-arms-park-91466-30926509/#ixzz1uJKJaqSE

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 08 May 2012, 9:18 pm

Toilets are a huge issue, couldn't give two toss's about the corporate side though, that just winds me up!!!

Supporters village was always going to be on the cards, and I heard a rumour that they were looking at 16k within three years!

I CANNOT WAIT!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Tryin Tue 08 May 2012, 9:24 pm

What a result I never believed we would get back to the CAP!!
I've been clicking my ruby slippers till the heels have come off.....theres no place like home!

Dai Tryin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 08 May 2012, 9:25 pm

Bluesman,

I share you optimism, seems like we are finally moving in the right direction, and the feel good factor of being a Blues fan is on the way back. However, despite how nice the ground will look after the summer and in the future with a supporters village and an increased capacity, Blues desperately need a front row otherwise getting smashed at the scrum will dampen the spirits of the move back to CAP.

All we want now is Phil to fire the chuckle brothers, bring in a proper backs and forwards coach and we'll be laughing.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 08 May 2012, 9:27 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Toilets are a huge issue, couldn't give two toss's about the corporate side though, that just winds me up!!!

Supporters village was always going to be on the cards, and I heard a rumour that they were looking at 16k within three years!

I CANNOT WAIT!

You should give a toss as the corporate lot, sponsors etc bring in a lot of coin and these areas to be refurbished are most probably the 38 hospitality boxes, the airspace lounge and the pack lounge maybe. They'll only need cleaning, decorating, new carpets etc I reckon to get them bright and sparkly.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 08 May 2012, 9:45 pm

I know Dace but it still winds me up, we have all spoken with our feet about the CCS, and now we move back you know the corps will be first to be looked after!

Not bringing the mood down though, Id take us getting smashed in the scrum all next season as long as it's back at home!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 08 May 2012, 10:02 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I know Dace but it still winds me up, we have all spoken with our feet about the CCS, and now we move back you know the corps will be first to be looked after!

Not bringing the mood down though, Id take us getting smashed in the scrum all next season as long as it's back at home!!

It seems to me that they are not discriminating and plan to refurbish most areas of CAP and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Remember as well that some companies who previously had boxes at CAP didn't follow the team down to CCS or tried it and didn't like it. Hopefully they will return next season.
And we're getting a supporters' village by the look of it. Where it will be located is anyone's guess.
Providing I have a patch of concrete to stand on, that'll do for me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 10:08 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Toilets are a huge issue, couldn't give two toss's about the corporate side though, that just winds me up!!!

I CANNOT WAIT!

16K would be fantastic.

It would be interesting to know how this hole mess has been sorted out. Did PT orchestrate it or was he finally pushed by Holland and the board against his will.

I imagine it is all his money that will be used to sort out CAP.

If they can increase the capacity to 16k then it will raise further questions about PTs involvement in the move to CCS in the first place. I wonder if the WRUs plans for the Millennium will return in some aspects.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 10:09 pm

Apparently they were paying £700,000 a year at CCS and they lost ticket and food/drink revenue too.

Whereas the CAP make a profit without a game being played.

Should be enough for a big THP Wink
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 10:17 pm

It seems that no money changed hands between Blues and CCFC for the move. From a reliable source. Looks like the Malysian backers are serious about re-branding CCFC and investing heavily and agreed to let the Blues go.

Pretty fantastic news for Blues and CCFC supporters if it is accurate.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 08 May 2012, 10:23 pm

That's amazing news for the Blues if that's correct 606. I can see how it's feasible though.

I had a look around CAP yesterday as I parked there. Work to be done ( much like Dave), but there's no substitute for an atmosphere.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 10:26 pm

Risca Rev wrote:That's amazing news for the Blues if that's correct 606. I can see how it's feasible though.

I had a look around CAP yesterday as I parked there. Work to be done ( much like Dave), but there's no substitute for an atmosphere.

Yep, the Blues only kept up the minimum maintaince while they were at CCS, so there will be a lot of work to do before next season.

It will be interesting to see how many season tickets are sold next week. A lot more than last year I will bet.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 10:30 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
wales606 wrote:Harry had a good game in that he showed great potential, even if his inexperience caught him out a few times.

Getting caught from behind by a pretty average second row when he had 10 yards start, suggests that he has not got nearly enough gas to play on the wing! If he had been caught by Shingler he may have had an excuse but Day is not particularly quick even for a second row.

Its a pity because I have liked what I have seen of him in the past, but at the top level pace is vital.

Apparently he injured himself when he stepped to avoid the first tackle, and Day had a good line on him.

From what I have seen of Robinson, he is certainly no slouch.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 08 May 2012, 10:32 pm

wales606 wrote:It seems that no money changed hands between Blues and CCFC for the move. From a reliable source. Looks like the Malysian backers are serious about re-branding CCFC and investing heavily and agreed to let the Blues go.

Would that be the C2A fella from the other forum?
He does seem to know his stuff I have to say.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 08 May 2012, 10:36 pm

wales606 wrote:

Yep, the Blues only kept up the minimum maintaince while they were at CCS, so there will be a lot of work to do before next season.

It will be interesting to see how many season tickets are sold next week. A lot more than last year I will bet.

This matter was always mentioned at the CAC AGMs I attended. Even when they were still playing at CAP things weren't getting done or fixed etc.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 08 May 2012, 10:38 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wales606 wrote:It seems that no money changed hands between Blues and CCFC for the move. From a reliable source. Looks like the Malysian backers are serious about re-branding CCFC and investing heavily and agreed to let the Blues go.

Would that be the C2A fella from the other forum?
He does seem to know his stuff I have to say.

Neil, yep. He certainly knows about the politics involved.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next