The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's Your NH Team of the Season?

+31
Dubbelyew L Overate
RDW
formerly known as Sam
Jenifer McLadyboy
George Carlin
2ndtimeround
ieuan
B91212
Taffineastbourne
Mickado
Brendan
GunsGerms
Hound_of_Harrow
eirebilly
BigTrevsbigmac
beshocked
nathan
rodders
maestegmafia
yappysnap
Shifty
Gibson
sugarNspikes
Ozzy3213
Notch
Feckless Rogue
Standulstermen
ChequeredJersey
funnyExiledScot
Artful_Dodger
Pot Hale
35 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Who's your vote for team of the NH season?

Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap24%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 21 ]
Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap28%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 25 ]
Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap4%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap2%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap11%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 10 ]
Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap9%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 8 ]
Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap12%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 11 ]
Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap7%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 6 ]
Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_lcap1%Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 89

Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Empty Who's Your NH Team of the Season?

Post by Pot Hale Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:17 am

First topic message reminder :

A number of teams across the three leagues have performed exceptionally well this season. Some of them in the limelight are obvious candidates, others less so. There's a few games to go in the regular season, with playoff places at stake across the Premiership, Pro 12 and Top 14.

Some are fighting on two fronts, with European honours at stake, or qualification for next season.

Some have managed against the odds, salary cap, squad depth to progress much further than expected.

Who would you vote for and why?

My list includes Glasgow, Clermont, Exeter, Leicester, Edinburgh, Leinster and Montpellier. I might include Newcastle yet if they manage to stay up. Smile You might pick someone different.

Cast your vote, or suggest other teams for inclusion. It's an open poll so you can nominate a team now, change your mind and pick someone else, until the last ball is kicked, fumbled, caught or touched down.

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:03 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Title change)
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who's Your NH Team of the Season?

Post by HongKongCherry Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
HongKongCherry wrote:

Sorry don't agree. They can only beat what is in front of them, but they arguably had the easiest group with cardiff, Racing Metro and London Irish (compared to Clermont's absolute group of death!). They did well to beat Toulouse, but despite their Top 14 performance they had already lost twice in the HC. It is taking nothing away from their achievement, but a team that has lost 14 of their 20 league games is not the team of the season.

So is it basically your opinion that whoever wins the Heineken, AP or Rabbo should be the team of the year? To me team of the year isn't just who does the best and wins somthing.

The Cheif's have done fantastic this year in the AP and that for me should have them up there as the team of the year. However, they've only really had to concentrate on the AP as they haven't had an intense Heineken competition to play in as well. Does that mean they shouldn't be nominated?

I take your point that Edinburgh have been crap in the league, but they have had a fairytail run in the Heineken cup (47-20 down to Racing with 20 minutes to go, end up winning 48-47 - as an example) and have done ridiculously well.

You say we had a "soft" group but each one of those teams have significantly higher player budgets and investment so for a team like Edinburgh it was an amazing achievement.

Is this not about which team is the Northern Hemisphere team of the year? Edinburgh have been fantastic in the HC, but rubbish in the league. Do they deserve to be the HC team of the year? Quite possibily. Do they deserve to be the Rabo team of the year? Well it's a stupid question, as even the most one-eyed supporter isn't going to say yes to that question.

As I mentioned earlier Exeter fully deserve the Jeff team of the year, but they are not the best in the NH. For me the team of the year has to be the best side. Leinster and Clermont have competed to the highest level and are in line to win both their competitions. This isn't the who has overperformed in one competition and has a smaller budget award, in my opinion its simply who is the best side this year and that has to be between Leinster and Clermont.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Who's Your NH Team of the Season? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who's Your NH Team of the Season?

Post by RDW Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 am

I suppose I just take a more rugby-romantic view of team of the year than the cold hard facts of who performed the best overall.

No harm in having differing opinions though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:09 am

RDW, I think most people these days look to select the most popular or mainstream candidate, there aren't that many that look outside the box.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I suppose I just take a more rugby-romantic view of team of the year than the cold hard facts of who performed the best overall.

No harm in having differing opinions though!

Absolutely. OK

To be frank I'm not normally this pragmatic and it would certainly be a fantastic fairytale if Edinburgh went on to win the HC or Exeter the Jeff. If they do, I'll be straight back here to change my mind. But if both teams won, who would I choose then? Headscratch
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:20 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:Leinster have rotated their side in the HC. Beshocked you just haven't watched them much and are making assumptions to verify your opinion of the PRO12. Just look at the team that played Montpellier in Dublin. A quick look at the facts end your idea that they don't rotate in the HC.

If Leinster had lost to Edinburgh then you'd immediately accuse Leinster of not taking the league seriously. You'd say they're resting and not trying, so they can be in top shape for the HC. But Leinster thrashed them and are top of the league, so instead you accuse Edinburgh of not taking the league seriously. I guess that every single week 6 teams aren't taking the league seriously.

Leinster thrashed Sarries in Dublin last year. Is that because they weren't taking the HC seriously? They thrashed Clermont too. Were they not taking it seriously? They beat Leicester and Toulouse. Do those two not take it seriously? The fact is Leinster just thrash a lot of teams in Dublin using their entire squad because they're the best team in Europe.

Do you think Edinburgh are taking the Pro12 seriously? I don't. Can you blame them? Auto qualification for the HC and no relegation means virtually every match is irrelevant. They can save their players for the HC with no fear of repercussions. Not a bad position to be in if you can get it. They get the extra revenue from the HC without even having to earn it.

Didn't say Leinster didn't rotate in the HC. Just saying that some of their best players like SOB,BOD,Heaslip and Sexton rarely play in the Pro12. Those particular players don't seem to be rotated. They are indeed saved for the HC whatever you say.

Thrashing someone in the HC is different to thrashing someone in the Pro12. The HC is a much more important competition. Teams like Leicester,Saracens,Toulouse and Clermont do take the HC seriously so thrashing them is more impressive.

In regards to Saracens it was their first season in the HC for some time. Brutal wake up call in the pool of death. Unfortunately Saracens have to earn HC qualification, we don't get it on a platter.

It's why Exeter's achievement is so impressive. They have worked very hard for HC qualification.

Are Leinster the best side in Europe? I think Clermont will have something to say about that.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 am

Lest not forget that Exeters Amlin was Prep who are HC pot 2 Dragons who if they had quailifed would have been pot 3 and they lost to SF.

Not realy teams you can rest players against.

As a result the only easier game they had was the semi pro team.

Cleamount only had aronini was was easy and hardly went easy on them 80point after all that is high quailty.

Leinster played a 1.5 team against for most HC home and Rabo teams though that does so depth.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 am

Can the OP writer also put down what they mean as NH team of the season.

As we had on international we had Wales are the best they won the slam when England did much better then expected and so justfied their 4th IRB Rankings as they destroyed Ireland and Beat France away.

It is stupi when awards like this in leagues are usually given to the winning manager, best play of winning team and winning team why not call them winners of the HC award, Best team winner of the HC and best Player of the winning HC team then it would be easy Leinster or Clm

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 am

Clermont probably will beat Leinster because it's in France but as of now Leinster are champions and playing great rugby so have earned the right to be considered top of the pile. Shame the two teams can't meet in the final as it would be a cracker and I reckon Leinster would shade it. Plus Leinster have never played French opposition in a final.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 am

Reasons why Saracens should be nominated:

Only English side to make the HC quarter finals.Beating the incredibly highly rated Ospreys on the way.

Provided the backbone of the England team which came 2nd in the 6 nations - Chargedown Charlie was the hero vs Scotland and Italy. Owen Farrell had an excellent 6 nations. Brad Barritt and Andy Farrell were the masterminds behind the England defence.

3rd in the league currently, HC quarter final place.

8 away wins in the AP. 1st team to beat the O's at the Liberty in the HC for 5 years.

Why Toulon should be nominated:

3rd in the top 14.

Amlin Semifinalists - destroying Quins in the quarter finals.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:47 am

I think that it is between the winners and Ulster.

Leinster is just another Irish team and Ulster will feel and nutral ground they can beat Ulster. I think All three remaining games will be by less then 7 and the score will change hands twice in the last 20 minutes for each game

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 am

Bes you also left out they beat Biarittiz who could well win the Amlin making your group the second toughest and only losing in the 1/4 to possibly the best team in europe. Also Treviso where defo the hardest last place team in the coptetion so you group for all 4 teams could be harder would ulster have got out if it was Treviso instead of Aroni I think not.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 am

In fairness whilst Treviso are tougher than Aironi, I think Clermont is a hell of a lot tougher than Biarritz who at the start of the season were at the bottom of the Top14 and couldn't buy a win in any competition.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 am

But to be fair going to the south of france is impossible to win so is the same and Cleamount on the road weren't great in there games against Ulster and Leicster.

It was always said that and Italian team was a given ten points and 2nd place spot but I think that has change forever and my be the worse english/ French or bonus celtic team

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:13 am

Not really we came close against Clermont, I think we might of beaten Biarritz in France this season.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 am

I think that Ulster are one of the teams of the season

1. They got out of their group
2. They won the hardest Quarter Final
3. They have only been beaten well by one team in HC and even then It was more of a slow start then a poor game
4. If you take out the first few games when they were missing loads they have done well in the league and could equal last year.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:29 am

I don't think Saracens are there yet. They're currently on a learning curve in Europe that all the Champions had to travel. It generally takes years of experience and hard fought progress to finally win it. Teams don't just pop out of nowhere and take the title. Whether Sarries will win it eventually, I don't know. They did very well in the pool. But the effort against Clermont was quite poor.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:30 am

It may seem like I am defending alot of teams but there are lots that have a reason.

I think that Last year English people were saying that Saints weren't the team of the season cause they hadn't played anyone.

Leinster can't be it till they beat Clm away and If they do that would be massive. Cardiff on a downer at home was hardly equal to any of the other 1/4s even if the other home teams had of won

Clm have played a much harder route while I think that Ulster was just as though. By default Leicster could be considered third hardest as that involves team one and two but I think Sars was the tird hardest or maybe Edinburgh because thier group were all equal and they did beat toulous.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:I don't think Saracens are there yet. They're currently on a learning curve in Europe that all the Champions had to travel. It generally takes years of experience and hard fought progress to finally win it. Teams don't just pop out of nowhere and take the title. Whether Sarries will win it eventually, I don't know. They did very well in the pool. But the effort against Clermont was quite poor.

your so right

Look at all the teams that have won it or come close they had been around the 1/4s for a few years.
Clm had to be in tough groups before they got to the business end

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 am

sugarNspikes wrote:
You make some good points and then spoil it all in the last paragraph.

He is absolutely spot on in his last paragraph. He could have added the comical referee decisions also costing the Ospreys some points in the fixture at Wembley. There was also a totally unacceptable thrashing recieved down in the basque region from Biarritz which was neglected in the post though....

If Clermont win it I'll vote for them for getting the Euro monkey off their backs and they would be especially deserving of my vote should they beat Leinster along the way. Special mentions for improved teams like Exeter, Harelquins, Ulster, Treviso and Edinburgh.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 am

Morgannwg wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:
You make some good points and then spoil it all in the last paragraph.

He is absolutely spot on in his last paragraph. He could have added the comical referee decisions also costing the Ospreys some points in the fixture at Wembley. There was also a totally unacceptable thrashing recieved down in the basque region from Biarritz which was neglected in the post though....

If Clermont win it I'll vote for them for getting the Euro monkey off their backs and they would be especially deserving of my vote should they beat Leinster along the way. Special mentions for improved teams like Exeter, Harelquins, Ulster, Treviso and Edinburgh.

Morgannwg you come across as a bad loser like your Osprey's colleagues - Maestegmafia and AlynDavies.

You lost fair and square get over it.

Ospreys got some referee decisions in their favour too - swings and roundabouts. I don't think Ospreys were ever leading Saracens in either games.

Ospreys kept in touch but in the end didn't do enough.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:49 am

How did you work that out Beshocked? Headscratch

1. I'm not really an Ospreys fan, I'm not from that Region so I do not consider myself a bad loser on this matter. Alyn is certainly not a bad loser either.
2. I call things how I see them, sometimes a bit biased probably. What I was referring to was the incorrect call for a forward pass when Ospreys were showing enterprise by running it from their own 22. Result = 7 points to Saracens. But you could argue the tackle on your number 8 shouldn't have been missed from there.
3. The game at the Liberty was a farce with the Sarries front row just cheating and killing the game. We both seen what happens when a strong scrum versus the Sarries gets the right calls. And Ospreys scrum is up there with the best and has been for over 2 seasons.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Morgannwg you are Welsh and simply upset your beloved team lost.

Your comments make this clear. Ospreys deserved to lose. The refs were poor equally for both teams but Ospreys never threatened the Sarries line except for lucky ricochets and when Sarries were down to14 men.

Ospreys only looked vaguely threatening when Saracens let them off the hook - Saracens were comfortably beating Ospreys at Wembley after 50 minutes but instead of going for the kill they eased off.

Same thing happened at the Liberty. Sarries took the lead but didn't go for the kill.

Incorrect call for a forward pass? Even if it was there is no guarantee it would have made any difference. Saracens still had to score the 7 points. Ospreys were not guaranteed 7 points anyway.

The game at the Liberty showed that the Ospreys scrum is as overrated as the rest of their team. The Ospreys evidently put too much emphasis on their scrum to the detriment of the rest of their game.

Ospreys were more limited in attack than Saracens. Not a nice title to have!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:41 pm

beshocked wrote:Morgannwg you are Welsh and simply upset your beloved team lost.

Your comments make this clear. Ospreys deserved to lose. The refs were poor equally for both teams but Ospreys never threatened the Sarries line except for lucky ricochets and when Sarries were down to14 men.

Ospreys only looked vaguely threatening when Saracens let them off the hook - Saracens were comfortably beating Ospreys at Wembley after 50 minutes but instead of going for the kill they eased off.

Same thing happened at the Liberty. Sarries took the lead but didn't go for the kill.

Incorrect call for a forward pass? Even if it was there is no guarantee it would have made any difference. Saracens still had to score the 7 points. Ospreys were not guaranteed 7 points anyway.

The game at the Liberty showed that the Ospreys scrum is as overrated as the rest of their team. The Ospreys evidently put too much emphasis on their scrum to the detriment of the rest of their game.

Ospreys were more limited in attack than Saracens. Not a nice title to have!

Beshocked, really can't work out if you are being serious with your most latest ridiculous post. I'm not at all upset over Ospreys losing who are not, as I've already stated, my beloved team.

The ref wasn't ridiculous for both teams. He only worked out Sarries were cheating late in the 2nd half when they were dumb enough to keep collapsing a scrum when Ospreys brought on fresh blood. And funny how you should mention richochets, isn't that how Sarries scored their tries and how the Sarries players score their tries for England?

Of course Saracens let them off the hook. Of course they eased off, isn't that the only time that teams can score against them, when they aren't trying?

It was an incorrect call for the forward pass. Perhaps you missed or ignored the rest of what I said on that point though. The point I made it was a comical decision that cost the Ospreys points, which is what I said in the first place.

The Ospreys scrum and forwards are certainly not overated. Baffling thing to say. Majority of their tries have come through their forwards this season. They were nullifed from using their most potent weapon by cheating Sarries and a ref who handled it very badly (but which ref doesn't?). The backline being impotent was a big issue and what would you expect from a backline of a clueless Biggar, Bishop, Walker and Fussell? Only now has it got better with Biggar playing more rugby and not kicking posession away needlessly. I believe it coincides with the exit of Scott Johnson.

I didn't take anything away from Saracens in anything I have written. However I think it's now time for you to realise they aren't that good.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Ospreys? We are we in the poll, some kind of sympathy vote? Smile I know the O's have been up there in the pro12 all season but weve generally been pants.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 pm

beshocked wrote:Reasons why Saracens should be nominated:

Only English side to make the HC quarter finals.Beating the incredibly highly rated Ospreys on the way.

Provided the backbone of the England team which came 2nd in the 6 nations - Chargedown Charlie was the hero vs Scotland and Italy. Owen Farrell had an excellent 6 nations. Brad Barritt and Andy Farrell were the masterminds behind the England defence.

3rd in the league currently, HC quarter final place.

8 away wins in the AP. 1st team to beat the O's at the Liberty in the HC for 5 years.

Why Toulon should be nominated:

3rd in the top 14.

Amlin Semifinalists - destroying Quins in the quarter finals.

So which team do you want to nominate? Toulon or Toulon?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sat May 05, 2012 5:02 am

The Top 14 is shaping up nicely for the playoffs which will get decided today.
Montpellier would be an interesting outside bet.

If Newcastle manage to stay up today against all the odds, I'll eat a small pork pie hat.

Munster, Glasgow, Scarlets? Glasgow pick of the bunch if they make it through to playoffs but not good enough for TOTS.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3