The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heineken cup result and increases in English clubs salary cap

2 posters

Go down

Heineken cup result and increases in English clubs salary cap Empty Heineken cup result and increases in English clubs salary cap

Post by blackcanelion Wed 11 Apr 2012, 4:52 am

I understand that saracens are pushing for an increase in the Salary cap to make them more competative at the Heinekin cup. The argument is that they can spend less than their French equivelents and are therefor at a disadvantage. Your thoughts, and my apologies if this has been done to death already.

My thoughts are that I'm not convinced the salary cap is real issue.
My reasoning being. Only one French and One English team made the quarters this year. The Celtic teams have been as successful over the last few years as teams from either the English or French leagues. On top of this Saracens arguably played the highest number of foriegn imports, players who have come to the country chasing a rugby income. lt may be the quality of the imports and the bench depth which is the issue, but they are side packed with England internationals.

I don't think it stands up when you look at the Rabo direct sides. These sides dominate the ERC rankings (based on the last 4 years competition results, which may), and this years Heinekin cup. A side like Leinster is mostly made up Irish born and bred players. They have a few imports in key positions, where they lack depth.

For me the problem is structure of the Aviva Premiership. The clubs play 22 matches on top of everything else and face relegation. That would be fine if it weren't for European competition and internationals. The result is, in my opinion, that England and clubs suffer from too much rugby. I'm not sure increasing the squads ultimately helps, if evryone doies it, or teams that can't afford to fold. The answer for me is a seperation of the seasons,nation club, international club and international.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Heineken cup result and increases in English clubs salary cap Empty Re: Heineken cup result and increases in English clubs salary cap

Post by Brendan Wed 11 Apr 2012, 1:39 pm

I think one problem with the cap is that clubs feel they can't take a chance on young hoe grown players that may be better like the Rabo.

If you have 100k and you can spend it on an average import or 2 promising youngsters you'll go for the import. Because he wont let you down.

In ireland you may have the same choice and you go for the 2 youngsters as the NIQ is so much more important to just get anyone. Look at Ulster they have 5 NIQ and about 45 Irish. Thats only 10% import but they are well worth it.

Because of the Irish and Scottish choices and lately Wales they are doing better.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Heineken cup result and increases in English clubs salary cap Empty Re: Heineken cup result and increases in English clubs salary cap

Post by Brendan Wed 11 Apr 2012, 1:43 pm

If you look at soccer the teams that are from weak leagues struggle because they don't have the skills for the higher level nor the constant playing at that level.

The Rabo does rotate but not much more then the others. The difference is that their squads are made up of 0yr exp 1yr exp etc.
Look at the munster players who struggled on Sunday they were not good enough. rabo has 1.5 teams the french the same but the eng only a 1 because they won't take risks becuse of the cap.

The cap is more mental that anything but makes teams seem to get value it is not that they can't spend more nor is it that they can't manage on what they have

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down