The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marquez or Rios

+10
DaveVDK
Josef K.
BoxingFan88
d260005p
paperbag_puncher
Lance
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Imperial Ghosty
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Seanusarrilius
14 posters

Go down

Marquez or Rios Empty Marquez or Rios

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:12 pm

All being well this will be made at 140 later in summer. Now, I know Rios is a beast, and far younger, but personally I see JMM boxing his face off. Anyone else agree. A lot will point to JMM problems with Diaz in their first fight but Rios was outboxed by Murray for periods of their fight (although completley drained I know) so how will he fair against a boxer like Marquez> Anyway, great fight when/if it happens

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Marquez or Rios Empty Re: Marquez or Rios

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:22 pm

Its a real 50/50 fight and will no doubt be a war.

I will go with rios by late TKO , although I'm pretty biased as rios is liked favourite fighter.

I'm not really going to bring up the Diaz offer as rios isn't like him, but katsidis showed me enough to suggest that rios can win. Marquez beat katsidis well and truely up, but katsidis had him hurt a coupes of times. Rios is much bette rights than katsidis. He hits harder, is more relentless, can absorb more punishment and not look hurt (katsidis can take a lot but is visibly stunned in most fights) and gets stronger as the fight goes on. I also think he's better technically than is given credit for. He doesn't move his head but has a very very tight guard and is very skilled on the inside with short hooks and uppercuts

Marquez is a great counterpuncher but is no mayweather, he like to get into a tear up so he can get his own shots off. He looks tired in the latter round sod the pacquiao fight and he didn't throw too many. Rios is a murderous body puncher and will never back off. Marquez will box him for the 1st half but when rios catches up he will hurt him.

Rios at 140 could weigh in at fight night as big as 155lbs whereas Marquez will probably peak at 146.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:40 pm

Marquez all day long providing his age doesn't catch up with him, far too much class for Rios who will find himself countered half to death as Katsidis was.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:54 pm

Rios certainly has the equalizer and the KO is always a possibility, especially if he is strong at 140. But if JMM can handle his power early then I only see one winner.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

The equalizer to Rios' power is Marquez chin, Pacquiao is a bigger puncher and in three fights despite knocking him down four times couldn't really hurt him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:22 pm

Rios won't stop Marquez, yes he has power but he would need to get a loan of Margaritos wraps to have any chance of that happening. Marquez has an excellent chin and great recovery powers.

If Marquez still has it and his last outing suggested he did. Rios is just like Katsidis just to one dimensional for a classy counter puncher like Marquez. Wide points win for Marquez in this one I think.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:24 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:The equalizer to Rios' power is Marquez chin, Pacquiao is a bigger puncher and in three fights despite knocking him down four times couldn't really hurt him.

Yea but pacquiao don't really land cleanly all too often and head hunted against a moving target. Mayweather could have stopped him and katsidis and Diaz had him hurt. The body attack will be rios' weapon of choice or the KO, he is 38 and looks a little flabby in the weigh in the other day

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:31 pm

Rios walks into a lot of punches himself WHU. He was great v Antillion who came forward and engaged in Rios kind of fight. Marquez will not do that, he will time and counter. Rios has a grat chnace because he can take a decent amount of punishment and keep coming, but I favour class in Marquez. But, great matchup

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:36 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:The equalizer to Rios' power is Marquez chin, Pacquiao is a bigger puncher and in three fights despite knocking him down four times couldn't really hurt him.

Yea but pacquiao don't really land cleanly all too often and head hunted against a moving target. Mayweather could have stopped him and katsidis and Diaz had him hurt. The body attack will be rios' weapon of choice or the KO, he is 38 and looks a little flabby in the weigh in the other day

Don't think either Katsidis or Diaz hurt him all that much while Pacquiao despite being outboxed for large parts was able to land cleanly almost every round, I just don't think Rios stops him if far classier and bigger punchers couldn't. A lot of people say Mayweather could have stopped him but at no point did it look like happening.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:38 pm

Even if Mayweather could have, he is the best and although not the hardest, cleanest puncher in the game. Plus JMM looked well out of shape for that. Rios is no Mayweather and he is no Pac either. The Katsidis type shot is rios best chance, but if he doesn't hurt JMM inside 6/7 rounds he will have shipped a lot of punishment.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:54 pm

Marquez will be 39 in august though.

He is a warrior and has been in a couple f really tough fights and it could just count against him. He was well conditioned vs pacquiao, but ther didn't really any evidence to suggest he will be better at 140, whereas rios needs to go up a division. At 135 I would favour Marquez but at 140 it gives Brandon an even bigger weight advantage.

Rios is imo the 2nd hardest pucher the has ever fought behind pacquiao. Marquez looked good vs manny but he trained like a Trojan for it, the desire won't be as great for him imo. He wanted pacquiao more than anything and showed that

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 09 Apr 2012, 5:57 pm

True, but Rios just isn't as good as Pac, so that might cancel it out. And I have never seen anything to suggest Marquez overlooks opponents. Plus, Rios is his ticket back to Pac Man, or so he hopes. Age may be a factor, but not desire. Rios will come in huge, but he always does. Only difference will be he doesn't have to starve himself first. Rios size and power Vs MArquez skill and nouse. I am just going for nouse on this ocassion, but fair enough if you go the other way, it's a reasonable bet.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 09 Apr 2012, 6:17 pm

Marquez never ever overlooks an opponent, he trains 100% for each and every fight because unlike most he fights to win first and foremost. If he gets become every bit of his 39 then he could run into a bit of trouble but even then I don't think Rios will be the man to do it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 09 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

marquez cant afford to get sloppy, if rios catches him like kats did it could be light out, but providing marquez fights sensibly he should win a pretty comfortable decision i reckon

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:49 am

Great fight. Marquez on points for me but hitting the canvas along the way.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:32 pm

Marquez will school him. I think it will be easy as well. Be a bit like Pavlik vs Hopkins. The Puncher boxer vs The Experience...............

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:53 pm

Rios can be plodding coming forward and easy to hit. Marquez will love that

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:01 pm

Marquez had big problems in the first Diaz fight, had Diaz had a bit more pop he might have been in more trouble. The key for Marquez is to survive the early rounds, once he figures out rios he will destroy him. Marquez is vunerable early (as all counter punchers are) when he is trying to figure his timing out.

Rios has a great trainer in Robert Garcia in his corner, that could also be a big factor. Rios has the equalizer as well.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:28 pm

Marquez doesn't have a bad trainer either Beristain (not sure how to spell it) is the trainer Garcia can only hope he will be one day.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:15 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Marquez had big problems in the first Diaz fight, had Diaz had a bit more pop he might have been in more trouble. The key for Marquez is to survive the early rounds, once he figures out rios he will destroy him. Marquez is vunerable early (as all counter punchers are) when he is trying to figure his timing out.

Rios has a great trainer in Robert Garcia in his corner, that could also be a big factor. Rios has the equalizer as well.

Diaz had faster hands and a better "bull rush" technique, so although Rios hits much harder than Diaz, he will have more of an issue getting in.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 10 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm

True, but Katsdis dropped him early as well, he will have a few problems early, if he can get his timing he will destroy him.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 16 Apr 2012, 4:31 pm

Is there anyone who bleieves now that Rios would beat JMM. Marquez would time Rios to doom in my opinion. I was 90% convinced before, but now I am all the way sure.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Mon 16 Apr 2012, 5:33 pm

I can't give Rios a chance, Marquez is so accurate and Rios is so easy to hit. Rios wouldn't stand a chance against Marquez's inside footwork and even if he did tag him, Marquez can recuperate very quickly. Marquez would probably have plan B or C up his sleeve too...can Rios really adjust to that?

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Mon 16 Apr 2012, 5:38 pm

Even before Abril ive always seen Rios as a pretty limited fighter, he is durable and has heavy hands but looks so easy to outbox, when fighters come to brawl with him they make him look world class (Antillon a perfect example) but id back Gurrero, Khan, Lamont, Bradley even Garcia to all beat him comfortably. I think Mitchell and Burns would make it a difficult nights work aswell.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 16 Apr 2012, 5:42 pm

I had it as a 50/50 fight before with rios nicking it. However, I think it's closer to 80/20 now.

Yes, Rios got outboxed by an inferior fighter to Marquez, but stylistically Marquez and abril are very very different. Abril is 6ft and fights very much like a 6ft fighter. He was very comfortable out jabbing rios from out of rios' range. Marquez is 5'7 with a shorter reach than rios. He likes to stand on the inside countering, you won't see him fighting on the outside behind a long left jab. This will help out rios a lot imo.

The fight being at 140 will help rios out a lot more than it would Marquez. He has been slow, cumbersome and hasn't had the same power in his last 2 fights where he hasn't made weight and has looked dead at weigh ins. The rios that turned up vs Acosta and Peterson was a lot quicker, had much better stamina and cut off the ring better

Marquez would obviously be a heavy favourite after Saturday

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 16 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

I actually have to question how easily Rios will make 140lbs, he's looked dead weighing in at 137lbs and from the looks of things could do with more than 3lbs of leeway, expect to see him at welterweight fairly soon.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Mon 16 Apr 2012, 5:48 pm

Bare in mind Acosta was outboxing Rios for a long period throughout there fight aswell, as was Peterson, even Murray was having his moments. Marquez is one of the best technical boxers on the planet which doesnt bode well for the one dimensional Rios.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Mon 16 Apr 2012, 5:49 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I actually have to question how easily Rios will make 140lbs, he's looked dead weighing in at 137lbs and from the looks of things could do with more than 3lbs of leeway, expect to see him at welterweight fairly soon.

Aparrently his walking around wieght is somewhere round 168, so i could see a move to welterweight in the near future aswell

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:03 pm

Ghosty that might have been because he couldn't rehydrate because his weight would have gone too high. Think we best leave judgement till his first decent fight at LWW

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:08 pm

Thing is Rios is big even for a light welterweight, Hatton was huge at the weight but was still smaller than Rios, how he could ever have effectively made lightweight is beyond me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 16 Apr 2012, 6:39 pm

I still stand by what I said before, Rios has a punchers chance early, whilst Marquez is figuring him out. Once he figures out Rios it will be a demolition job.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:37 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:I still stand by what I said before, Rios has a punchers chance early, whilst Marquez is figuring him out. Once he figures out Rios it will be a demolition job.

agree with that.
and i'd say Rios doesn't punch harder than Manny.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Tue 17 Apr 2012, 11:48 am

This chump Rios does not even deserve to get in the ring with Rios. Overweight in past 2 fights, lucky to get a win, one dimensional Tinkywinky.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm

I wouldn't even give Rios a punchers chance. He doesn't hit as hard as Manny and won't catch Marquez as often. One sided very wide UD for Marquez imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:33 pm

Would be people giving Rios much of a chance had he lost to Abril 117-112 "officially"?

I actually think Rios looked worse than he was in his last fight with Abril He had lost the chance for the title on the scales, lost the chance for his bonus and was most likely struggling with the weight. I think 140 will make him alot stronger.

Having said that, I think his style is made for Marquez and we would see something similar to Marquez/Diaz. Competitve first half of a fight and then Marquez taking over in the second half to win 117-111 or something along those lines.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:51 pm

He might be powerful at 140, but that won't help his complete lack of a boxing brain, or the way he marches in flat footed, wailing. Rios is world level and quality entertainment when a fighter wants a fight. But he needs to establish a plan B

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 17 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm

I dont think he will establish a plan B. Hes like Hatton or Juan Diaz. He fights one way.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 17 Apr 2012, 3:06 pm

Marquez doesn't get hit clean by Manny though thats the point. He had him so completely timed that he could avoid punches. Katsidis doesn't hit as hard as Manny either but put Marquez down hard.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 17 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Marquez doesn't get hit clean by Manny though thats the point. He had him so completely timed that he could avoid punches. Katsidis doesn't hit as hard as Manny either but put Marquez down hard.

he got caught hard against katsidis but got up as he always does and learned from it. he may be on his backside against rios, but he'd beat him pretty handily, as he did with katsidis.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Wed 18 Apr 2012, 5:49 pm

Never been overly impressed by Rios and have little interest in this fight now, would rather see Rios vs Alvarado first
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
Unbeatable Georgey Groves

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 19 Apr 2012, 10:20 am

never rated rios. dont even find him exciting. all well and good following nobodies around the ring and unloading big shots, he will be outclassed and outboxed by all the top fighters he comes accross. marquez to win a shut out i reckon

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down