The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Feature

+2
asdral225
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

New Feature Empty New Feature

Post by Adam D Sat 07 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm

Thought I would start up a new subsection in "films" to allow you to rate any films you have recently watched.

When setting up a thread in this section, dont forget to set up a poll with a score.

First up is Thor which ties in with this weeks Sky Movies Premiere.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

New Feature Empty Re: New Feature

Post by asdral225 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 11:37 pm

After watching Thor the first thought that sprung to mind was that the budget was blown on Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman and the special effects. The story line was not to good and rather predictable.
I will have to watch it again in a couple of weeks.
asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:04 am

I've not seen either of the Hulk films, either of the Iron Man ones, the Captain America one or the Thor one, but I probably will be seeing the Avengers in a few weeks!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon 09 Apr 2012, 9:14 pm

I thought Thor was good but I am a sucker for Marvel films and superhero films in general. I agree with what asdral says above, maybe to much spent on talent and not enough on story.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 09 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

They tried fitting a bit too much in to get people accustomed with Thor's backstory, should either have focused on Loki and his transformation and trying to become king to destroy the frost giant planet (can't be botherd to try spelling it) or focus on Thor's banishment to earth and finding jane. Focusing on both was too much.

Can't wait for the avengers though!!!

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:42 am

I watched Thor. For me what stuck out the most was the humour they managed to fit. Yes from a story perspective it was lacking, but the comic story itself is somewhat pants. The original one where you have Thor in a disabled mortal's body is weak and deceptively obvious.

Thor the film for me incorporated a lot from Starman (1982) I think. Jeff Bridges inhuman but soft performance as a stranger was a joy to watch. For me Chris Hemsworth put in a solid performance. Goes from arrogant god to a confused arrogance mortal which in time changes to a resigned uncomfortable acceptance of his fate. It was never going to be about the hammer wielding fight scenes. It was always going to be about the fall from grace and then resurgence.

Where Thor actually delivers is that the script matches the character perfectly. The uneasy relationship between Odin and Thor was clear to see. Fragile confidence in ones love and also position was carried out well. With Iron Man and Iron Man 2 was the distance between emotions. Take the first film, Tony Stark witnessed death caused by his own devices and also how close to death he would be due to the attack, yet in Iron Man 2 I felt they were trying to squeeze so much story into it, that it weakened the characters. When faced with death in the first Tony Stark built Iron Man, yet in 2 when faced with death again he goes off the rails, yet maintains the status quo personality wise? Too un-realistic for me.

Thor was good, but could be better. Yes we have the Avengers soon, but Thor 2 interests me more in what it will bring to the character.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 10 Apr 2012, 10:01 am

I thought it was brilliant, for my money probably the best of the Marvel Studios films to date. Potentially silly and tricky source material to bring to screen alongside Hulk / Iron Man / Thor / Cap America, but put together very skillfully. I didn't have a problem with the story, and thought the director/writers achieved a very good balance between the Norse mythology and modern day Earth.

Agree with comments about the surprising humour quotient, and generally thought it was an inspired call to bring Branagh to helm this project - I was actually quite moved by the Shakespeare-esque themes (God-prince literally brought down to earth on account of character failings; the father-son relationships; tale of redemption). Have heard criticism of the cast, but I thought they were pretty much all superb, especially Hemsworth and Portman.

Also liked the winks to the audience - e.g. Dr Blake, Hawkeye cameo.

Bring on Joss Whedon's ensemble piece... Once we've sorted out a date, will be booking tickets to see Avengers Assemble (to go by its stupid UK title) in IMAX 3D hopefully!

Last edited by Skydriver on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typi (DOH!))

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down