The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations

+18
sugarNspikes
glamorganalun
Rory_Gallagher
rodders
George Carlin
CurlyOsp
dummy_half
Comfort
thebluesmancometh
bluestonevedder
Hookisms and Hyperbole
johnpartle
niwatts
Cadair Idris
drsambo1928
Morgannwg
Geordie
maestegmafia
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Utility Forwards

Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap41%Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 43 ]
Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap30%Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 31 ]
Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 104

Poll closed

Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Empty Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations

Post by maestegmafia Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Lets look at who the board rate as the best Utility forwards possible for the Lions next year.

These players vary in position between the back five. Great bench players, a massive use to any modern team.

Pick Three Utility forwards from the Poll below.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Empty Re: Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm

Yes, he offers a limited game despite making the same number of tackles as Mr. player of the series Dan Lydiate. Plus was part of the team who made the most turnovers at 7, and made a good few carries. He may well have more opportunity to run at 6, but the point is Ireland aren't playing any good attacking rugby atm in general. At 6 he would get shut down too, as Ireland are lacking any kind of structure or support play. Don't worry, there will be a lot more to come from O'Brien in the future.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Empty Re: Utility Forwards Choices of the Home Nations

Post by glamorganalun Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:59 pm

Rory:

I am sure you are correct, I believe SOB is a natural 6 because of his tackling and go forward but Ireland have a very good 6 in Ferris, SOB seems to be in the same position as Ryan Jones the coach prefers another player in his best position.

Have a good evening

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Apr 2012, 11:05 pm

Oh thanks bud thumbsup You too!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 17 Apr 2012, 11:06 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Yes, he offers a limited game despite making the same number of tackles as Mr. player of the series Dan Lydiate. Plus was part of the team who made the most turnovers at 7, and made a good few carries. He may well have more opportunity to run at 6, but the point is Ireland aren't playing any good attacking rugby atm in general. At 6 he would get shut down too, as Ireland are lacking any kind of structure or support play. Don't worry, there will be a lot more to come from O'Brien in the future.

He offers a limited game does he? I think Sean is a fantastic player and will more than likely go on the Lions tour. Perhaps he will develop further and perhaps he should look into doing that as he seemed to be not so effective versus Wales and England on the past couple of occassions. He is a young guy and already looks the part, he could become the best in the world and certainly looks to have the potential.

I hope there is more to come. SOB's a joy to watch thumbsup.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 17 Apr 2012, 11:30 pm

It remains to be seen if SOB is indeed best at 6 though. I am finally starting to have my doubts, and wonder if this could be why he has not hit the heights of last season (in his ball carrying game at least).. with the form Jennings is in I imagine he will get more game time at 6 anyway with Leinster, so we will see. For Ireland, if an adequate "natural" 7 is found, I would rather SOB did just battle Ferris for the 6 shirt. Would be some battle. For now, he starts 7 for Ireland.

The two best back rows I have ever seen fielded for Ireland are Ferris, Wallace and Heaslip, and O'Brien, Wallace and Heaslip. I am not even sure which I prefer. Watching the latter in the last 6 nations was a real treat.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Tue 17 Apr 2012, 11:39 pm

glamorganalun wrote:Yappy:

Nice to hear from someone not having one eye, I still think SOB has been found out against Wales and England i.e., stopped in his tracks and can't cover second row. I prefer Croft or Ferris although not on the list.

Is that really a big consideration for the players in this shortlist? Realistically they're going to be on the bench wearing the 19 shirt. No.18 will cover the 2nd row and it's far more likely you'll lose one of the backrow to injury than another lock, so covering 6, 7 & 8 would be far more critical than covering the 2nd row (a pleasant luxury).

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2