The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations

+14
drsambo1928
LordDowlais
Geordie
bedfordwelsh
ChequeredJersey
Sgt_Pooly
gowales
geoff998rugby
rodders
RDW
tigertattie
majesticimperialman
Breadvan
maestegmafia
18 posters

Go down

Flyhalfs

Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap1%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]
Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap1%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 3 ]
Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap14%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 29 ]
Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap20%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 40 ]
Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap25%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 52 ]
Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap10%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 20 ]
Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap10%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 20 ]
Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap15%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 30 ]
Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap3%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 6 ]
Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_lcap0%Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 205

Poll closed

Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Empty Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Apr 2012, 10:25 am

Lets look at who the board rate as the best Fly Halfs possible for the Lions next year.

Pick Three Fly Halfs from the Poll below.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Empty Re: Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations

Post by Breadvan Fri 06 Apr 2012, 10:29 am

Dammit! Only picked Sexton then voted. My other two would be Farrell then Preistland.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations Empty Re: Flyhalf Choices of the Home Nations

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Apr 2012, 10:29 am

This should be an interesting debate. No stand out characters. Priestland and Sexton are the most accomplished current first choice internationals.

Farrell a very good goal kIcker though not much else. Laidlaw has a great game but can he translate that to a team better than Scotland?

I think he can. I think I would pick Priestland, Sexton and Laidlaw.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 06 Apr 2012, 3:24 pm

Flood, Sexton, Farrel.

Not necicerely(spelling) in that order.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Apr 2012, 5:11 pm

Flood is a good call.

Though he hasn't had a great season, injuries, then not selected for England etc we have all seen enough of him to know that he is a talent.
Tough call for me between Flood and Laidlaw. If Flood hits form again next season he will likely be in the reckoning.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 06 Apr 2012, 5:16 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Flood, Sexton, Farrel.

Not necicerely(spelling) in that order.

"necessarily" - madge, I use the search feature to check spelling, it takes two seconds to type what you think is the spelling in, and the Internet will find it for you.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:22 pm

erm, why is Dan Parks not on this list???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:25 pm

I'd go for Sexton, Priestland and Laidlaw in that order.

Sexton is the main man for the Lions just now, Priestland is a very solid ten who you can build a gameplan around and Laidlaw I think is a fantastic attacking 10 with a great pass who, although didn't show it too much in this 6N, he has been fantastic there for Edinburgh and with more experience I think will come good. I also think he's the most accurate goal kicker out the rest too. He also only started playing 10 consistently this season so given time he will only improve. Needs to have better technique defensively though - he's not scared to make the tackles, just didn't have good technique in a few instances!

Really looking forward to seeing how Farell develops, as he's still a young pup!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:35 pm

I've gone for Sexton, Priestland and O'Gara but I'd be tempted to take Farrell as well as a 12 or utility back for his goal kicking ability.

Sexton and Priestland are certainties for me but I think with Farrell or Flood as the 3rd then there's a lack of experience there so someone like ROG or Wilkinson (who is a dark horse) would prove really valuable. Stephen Jones is past it I think.

I'm assuming Halfpenny will make the tour and he offers another goal kicking option.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:37 pm

Forgot to say - Laidlaw covers 9 too (it is his better position) so would provide good flexibility to the squad.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:39 pm

The third fly half is often a 10/12 - on that basis I think Farrell will go.

Tovey, Jones, ROG, Wilkinson have no chance.
I cant see Laidlaw getting close either

I'd take Flood, Sexton and Farrell but Priestland would not surprise me instead of Flood

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:43 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Tovey, Jones, ROG, Wilkinson have no chance.

Really Geoff? I think if they are playing well then ROG or Wilkinson have a great chance of getting on the plane.

The main first choice fly-halves are all relatively inexperienced and have question marks hanging over them at the top level.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 06 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

Sexton, Priestland and Farrell

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 07 Apr 2012, 2:23 am

I will include Farrell in the utility back poll too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 3:45 am

Sexton, Priestland & Flood......best 3 FH's in the NH in no particular order

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:49 am

I'd bring Laidlaw but as a 9 not a 10. Sexton, Priestland and probs Farrell
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:52 am

I have gone for Priestland and Sexton but have been impressed with Farrell so far as well
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:06 am

You know this has to be the most uninspiring position of them all....no country has anyone that really stands out....

Preistland and Flood for me.

Farrell needs a huge improvement in his attacking game to be considered for the lions...maybe a solid kicking option for the dirt trackers...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:07 am

Watching Jonny play for Toulon so far tonight, I would not be peeved to see him go, you've got to give it to him, he can slot them over from anywhere, and behind a dominant pack, I think he could still work wonders, even if he went as a second option.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:20 am

LordD..

Its easy with quins giving penalty after penalty...they have to sort that out.

But yes he is generally doing well.

So is Armitage at 7...a position England are desperate for...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:37 am

Yes Geordie, but as long as they keep giving them, no matter where they are he is slotting them, you cannot give him chance from anywhere, and you cannot underestimate the importance of keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:40 am

Thats so true...but to be fair...Farrell will do that aswell.....i just want a player who can do that...but has a little more aswell...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:43 am

Johnny starter with a number of possiblities on the bench. Would'nt mind Wilko going, I think Hook should be in the squad. Maybe Priestland if he can sort out his kicking. Farrell, the Lions will come to early for him, Laidlaw,Hodgson....no, Flood over Priestland if his kicking is dodgey, Rodge, maybe but then again no. He would'nt be the worst though, would he.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:52 am

this poll is flawed, cipriani isn't an option?

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 07 Apr 2012, 5:56 pm

Sexton, Flood & Farrell.

No 1 priority of FH is solid kicker in & out of hand. These 3 are the most consistent.
Not including Sir Johnny in that! But after yesterday's performance maybe I should have.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 07 Apr 2012, 10:12 pm

Ah as a falcon fan im obviously a MASSIVE wilkinson fan...he is a superstar up here...

BUT

I think its a mistake to look back. Farrell can offer the metronomic kicking if thats what we are going for.

If not..i thought Priestland looked good, Sexton and Flood all offer nice options.

Maybe a few others will put their hands up next season for a wildcard..ie Ford or Burns etc...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 09 Apr 2012, 6:13 pm

Aye Geordie but some of your fellas saw Laidlaw put in a great shift at 10 on Saturday v Toulouse at Murrayfield. Very Happy
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:35 am

Sexton, Farrell, Laidlaw.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:41 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Aye Geordie but some of your fellas saw Laidlaw put in a great shift at 10 on Saturday v Toulouse at Murrayfield. Very Happy

Without question.. i totally agree..i think the 10 spot is wide open....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:53 am

Laidlaw will tour because he covers 9 very well as well (better than 10 for me)- players who are International class(ish) at 9 AND 10 are too useful to leave at home
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down