The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Dark Day for Scottish Rugby - just how bad does it have to get ?

+24
tigertattie
HERSH
Pat_Mustard
eirebilly
nickj
Imperialbigdave
cp10
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
blackcanelion
sensisball
CaleyShaun
IanBru
HammerofThunor
RuggerRadge2611
TJ1
doctornickolas
alexgmacdonald
bsando
NeilyBroon
Scot Abroad
Morgannwg
Biltong
majesticimperialman
21st Century Schizoid Man
28 posters

Go down

A Dark Day for Scottish Rugby - just how bad does it have to get ? Empty A Dark Day for Scottish Rugby - just how bad does it have to get ?

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm

So we are stuck with the Bath Vegetable - an utterly bizzare and disgraceful decision. The SRU should hang their heads in shame. How far do we slip before somebody exhibits a modicum of common sense and bins this incompetent dimwit ? thumbsdown vomit

Back to top Go down

A Dark Day for Scottish Rugby - just how bad does it have to get ? Empty Re: A Dark Day for Scottish Rugby - just how bad does it have to get ?

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:15 pm

I guess when you have it rock bottom, the only way is up. Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

A Dark Day for Scottish Rugby - just how bad does it have to get ? Empty Re: A Dark Day for Scottish Rugby - just how bad does it have to get ?

Post by Biltong Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:20 pm

There is still sideways though. Erm
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Take it Robbo is staying around for a while then... How long?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:31 pm

After we finish bottom of our group at RWC 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Rumours that he has been told he must beat Fiji and Samoa on the tour. The way we're going even if he doesn't he'll get a promotion and a new contract!

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58 pm

in my eyes, to redeem himself robinson must get a 100% successful tour and 90% successful autumn series (with a close loss to New Zealand) chances of this happening? Next to none.

Lets face it lads we're doomed. Soon we'll be losing to Portugal.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:04 pm

To add a different perspective... I think its a positive thing he is staying. Scott Johnson and Matt Taylor at his side with Sean Lineen, this can only be positive. We'll finally get Visser later this year and we already have a lot of great newbies getting a go. I think there are definitely more positives than negatives to take from this.

In my opinion, although not as obvious as England, we started again after the world cup after losing chris paterson, Hines and Parks. All the basics are still there but the game plan has changed, for the better in my opinion. To be perfectly honest, i don't think we'll see the full benefit of the current set up until around 2014. Worth the wait I say.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:10 pm

bsando wrote:To add a different perspective... I think its a positive thing he is staying. Scott Johnson and Matt Taylor at his side with Sean Lineen, this can only be positive. We'll finally get Visser later this year and we already have a lot of great newbies getting a go. I think there are definitely more positives than negatives to take from this.

In my opinion, although not as obvious as England, we started again after the world cup after losing chris paterson, Hines and Parks. All the basics are still there but the game plan has changed, for the better in my opinion. To be perfectly honest, i don't think we'll see the full benefit of the current set up until around 2014. Worth the wait I say.

I sure as hell hope you're right

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:11 pm

At least he wants the job.

I honestly think Scotland would struggle to recruit a decent coach unless the salary was so huge that they couldn't turn it down.

If you sacked Robinson who is there to take on the role. I don't think Mallett is interested in a job where he knows he has no chance of competing with the big boys. It's just not a very attractive position at the moment.

I agree with Bsando in that Scotland are playing better rugby than they were for the last few seasons and there are some good youngsters around whom you can start to build a team but it isn't going to happen over night and there could well be some pain along the way.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Its a dreadful decision. i cannot understand how anyone has any faith in him. 2 wins in 3 6 nations, failure at the WC now 12th in the world

Scott Johnson is another failure.

Its the end of Scotland as a major rugby playing nation. Robinson is a clueless twerp.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 pm

bsando - you are Mrs Robinson aren't you ? furious

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:33 pm

I truly despair. The man has made us the laughing stock of northern hemisphere rugby. If I failed to meet my targets at work for the last 3 years I would expect my books.

What does this numpty have to do to get sacked?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 pm

You need to bring in Rob Andrew as Elite Performance Director.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:33 pm

It gets worse.

I've been offered a job in Glasgow. When I applied, Glasgow were looking forward to broad, sunlit uplands, and I was checking out prices for season tickets. Now...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by CaleyShaun Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 pm

The SRU are just rewarding Flip failure, Dodson has to go but McLaughlin is a LIAR, he wanted us to have a good 6N which suggested that Mr Useless would be SACKED if not, but when we end bottom Mr McLaughlin decides to keep this Tinkywinky, THE LYING so and so HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaleyShaun

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 pm

I think we will lose all three summer tests and will be lucky to get one win in the autumn. That will be 1 win in 13!!!! vomit

That record would make Matt Williams look like a coaching genius. Very Happy
It is indeed dark, dark days for Scotland

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:53 pm

I think Scotland's problems are structural. I have no real opinion on the coaching. It seems the biggest problem is the lack of depth. Scotland survive through bolstering the side with players with Scottich heritage. They need the game to grow at a grass roots level to remain competative.

I think the current ranking is about right. The struggle against teir 1 nations (NZ, Australia, SA), and tier 2 nations (Wales, England, Ireland etc), which leaves them in a 3rd tier. I'd say, up and coming teams like Georgia, Canada, USSR all see Scotland as a realistic target by the time 2015 comes up.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:40 am

blackcanelion wrote:I think Scotland's problems are structural. I have no real opinion on the coaching. It seems the biggest problem is the lack of depth. Scotland survive through bolstering the side with players with Scottich heritage. They need the game to grow at a grass roots level to remain competative.

I think the current ranking is about right. The struggle against teir 1 nations (NZ, Australia, SA), and tier 2 nations (Wales, England, Ireland etc), which leaves them in a 3rd tier. I'd say, up and coming teams like Georgia, Canada, USSR all see Scotland as a realistic target by the time 2015 comes up.
blackcanelio,. that may indeed be true, altho I sincerely hope that it's not, but it pains me greatly that it being said about my beloved country - an honest outsider's view - we're Poopie

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:42 am

There are structural issues but our record against other nations is worse year on year despite having the best crop of players now for decades.
Robinson must carry the can when the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:47 am

From the Hootsman, the SRU's mouthpiece:

Andy Robinson’s reprieve after dreadful run splits opinion

By DAVID FERGUSON

Andy Robinson: given another chance to turn Scotland's fortunes around. ANDY Robinson will remain Scotland’s head coach at least for another year but the decision taken by the Scottish Rugby Board and chief executive Mark Dodson yesterday to back him after a string of defeats has polarised opinion.

The Scotsman caught up with three leading ex-internationalists, Andy Irvine, John Jeffrey and Roy Laidlaw. All three savoured success and endured runs of defeats in a Scotland jersey, and all have held leading roles in the Scottish game, but their views on Robinson differed.

Irvine, the Lions tour manager for the 2013 trip to Australia, said: “I think it’s the right decision by Andy to carry on and by the SRU to back him, and it’s a good thing for the Scottish game right now.

“Sometimes we get a wee bit carried away in Scotland. This wasn’t quite the disaster of a Six Nations that the results and wooden spoon suggest in my opinion. Let us just say Dan Parks didn’t get that kick charged down. I think we’d have beaten England.

“Mistakes were costly in Wales, and most people came away from the France game believing we were making progress. The second half in Dublin was not good and the match against Italy the worst for ages, but, those two games do not change my belief that Andy is a very good coach.

“There are areas he can tighten up quickly, such as kick-offs, which have been abysmal and have cost us several wins on their own, with errors of judgment by players and stupid yellow cards too.

“You need a bit of luck, and fortunate refereeing decisions rather than unfortunate ones, to win with Scotland, and we got that in wins against Australia, South Africa and Argentina, but haven’t got any this season.

“But against teams with far greater strength in depth we have been much closer and in positions to win, which is why I think Andy is right to be given at least another year.”

Laidlaw disagreed, however, and insisted that, having been given the SRU’s backing, Robinson must now look to add Scottish talent to his coaching team and consider a new selection panel.

“It’s amazing the support that he has got,” said the former Scotland scrum-half and captain. “I think anybody else would have been out before now with those results. It worries me that there are not Scottish coaches involved. If he is that good a coach he should be able to bring on Scottish coaches.

“He has worked with Gregor Townsend, but he went straight in from playing almost, and is now gone, so while he’s got Australians coming in I would like to see him bring on some of our home-grown coaches so that the Scottish game really benefits from having him there.

“It’s tough as Scots to win at international level, but that means you have to look for an edge on the opposition. You need to get your game-plan right, the preparation right, player form right and selection right.

“I am not sure about his selection skills, and I would like to see the SRU bring in some real experience to advise him, someone like Jim Telfer perhaps. Jim and Ian McGeechan benefited from having selectors who knew the players very well, and it’s unlikely that they would have made the mistake of choosing Dan Parks at the start of the championship. I know Greig [Laidlaw] is my nephew, and he’s certainly not the complete article at stand-off, but England were there to be beaten and I think Andy got selection wrong. Had we won that game we’d have seen a different championship.

“I’m not sure they have done the right thing by sticking with Andy, because it doesn’t feel like we’ve been moving forward, but the reality is that whoever coaches Scotland will find it difficult while we have just two professional teams and so few pro players. That’s our lot and it won’t get any easier for Andy the rest of the year with the fixtures we have. But the Scottish team have had tremendous support this year and now he’s been given the chance to take the team forward he needs to get it right.”

Jeffrey is a member of the Scottish Rugby Council, and though they had no say in yesterday’s decision, he said: “I’m delighted that Andy is staying on.

“I do feel that there was progress made this season in how Scotland were playing and I’m not just saying that because I’m involved with the SRU these days. Like Andy has said, we were one charge-down away from beating England really – and they were one away, maybe two away, from it being very different for Stuart Lancaster – and we were close against Wales and France. Sport is fickle like that; little margins between success and failure. Little mistakes that cost games.

“Andy has the support of the players and speaking to them they have enjoyed the way they have been trying to play, and, hopefully, now the decision is made we can move on and get behind the coaches and the team again because it’s going to be a tough summer tour and very tough autumn series.

“They have to make progress but I believe Andy is the best coach we could have right now to turn things around.”

Roy Laidlaw has it right OK

&

SRU backs Andy Robinson after coach says he wants to stay in job

By DAVID FERGUSON

Robinson continues as coach despite wooden spoon. ANDY Robinson has been given the SRU’s backing to continue as Scotland head coach after convincing chief executive Mark Dodson that he has the ability to turn around the national squad’s ailing fortunes.

The Englishman took over the post in the summer of 2009 and, with Murrayfield wins over Australia and South Africa, and historic triumphs away to Ireland and Argentina, Robinson started, like many of his predecessors, in bright fashion.

However, he has managed to secure just eight more victories in a total of 29 Test matches in charge, and watched his sides drop out of the World Cup at the pool stage for the first time in their history.

They slumped to a first Six Nations wooden spoon in five years and first whitewash in eight, and are at a record low of 12th in the world rankings, which would ensure they are again in the third pot of seeds for the next World Cup, to be drawn in December.

The abject performance against Italy in Rome two weeks ago shocked even Robinson and he admitted that it was the lowest point in his tenure. He said that he would take a fortnight to consider his position and whether he believed he was still the right man for thr job.

The experienced World Cup-winning and British and Irish Lions coach, who turns 48 next week, returned to Murrayfield this week with his confidence refreshed and is understood to have informed Dodson and his management team that he believes Scotland do have the quality, and he the ability, to make a significant improvement in results next season.

Dominic McKay, SRU director of communications and public affairs, confirmed that Robinson met Dodson yesterday morning and the chief executive then took forward the SRU’s review into the Six Nations at the afternoon board meeting with a “full and frank” discussion. That ended with the board agreeing to back Robinson, whose contract runs until the end of 2015, and Robinson will make a full presentation to the board at its next meeting in a month’s time.

McKay said: “Mark Dodson and Andy Robinson met today for discussions on the Six Nations. Those discussions were positive and concluded that Andy will continue to lead the Scotland national team with the support of his revised coaching structure.”

Some members of the SRU management have spent the past fortnight taking soundings around the game, and debating at length the potential for success with Robinson still at the helm.

But, once he had agreed to continue in his post, any bid to remove him would have been both costly and brought significant upheaval.

Robinson has already reshaped his management team after three years, releasing defence coach Graham Steadman and agreeing for Gregor Townsend to move to Glasgow Warriors as head coach. Australian Scott Johnson, who has worked with Wales and the Wallabies as a skills coach, has been signed up on a lucrative contract and will join the squad in Australia in June, and Matt Taylor, the current Queensland Reds assistant and former Scotland ‘A’ flanker, will similarly hook up as Steadman’s replacement when the current Super 15 rugby season finishes this summer.

Gavin Scott, the former Currie and Scotland ‘A’ hooker, has also been promoted from chief analyst into the team manager’s position, replacing Dougie Potter, though he will continue to oversee the technical analysis team with support from Glasgow and Edinburgh staff.

A toast to mediocrity Whisky

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:51 am

A more succinct effort from the Ferrit in the Herald:

Robinson to remain in charge of Scotland despite unconvincing reign

by Kevin Ferrie, Senior Sports Writer.

Andy Robinson has saved his job despite becoming the first Scotland head coach to fail to take his side to the quarter-finals of the World Cup and only the second in 27 years to lead the national side to "whitewash" in the Six Nations Championship.

The news was confirmed in a brief announcement by the Scottish Rugby Union last night. It stated that, after meeting with Mark Dodson, the SRU's chief executive, at which the team's Six Nations performance was reviewed he would remain "with the support of his revised coaching structure".

A spokesman said that "discussions were positive and concluded that Andy will continue to lead the Scotland national team".

Robinson has a contract which was negotiated ahead of the World Cup and takes him to the 2015 tournament, which is believed to make him the SRU's highest-paid employee. He has been in the job since the ousting of his predecessor Frank Hadden, who won more Six Nations matches in his first season in charge than Robinson has managed in three attempts.

In the course of the Six Nations, it emerged that he had decided to replace Gregor Townsend, Scotland's attack coach since 2009, and Graham Steadman, who took charge of the defence the previous year.

They will be replaced by former Australia A backs coach Scott Johnson and Matt Taylor, the Australian-born former Scotland A internationalist, respectively.

That highlighted sentence says it all for me, and Haddock was attrocious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 am

Funny comment, "If Dan Parks kick had not been charged down", the biggest mistake was Parks being on the pitch in the first place.

Can I really be bothered with another year with Robinson in charge?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:19 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:So we are stuck with the Bath Vegetable - an utterly bizzare and disgraceful decision. The SRU should hang their heads in shame. How far do we slip before somebody exhibits a modicum of common sense and bins this incompetent dimwit ? thumbsdown vomit

Grow up.

Its been a dark 17 years (with '99 being the exception). Nothing will change in Scottish rugby until radical structural change is made to domestic rugby and its not down to the coach.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:44 am

cp10 wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:So we are stuck with the Bath Vegetable - an utterly bizzare and disgraceful decision. The SRU should hang their heads in shame. How far do we slip before somebody exhibits a modicum of common sense and bins this incompetent dimwit ? thumbsdown vomit

Grow up.

Its been a dark 17 years (with '99 being the exception). Nothing will change in Scottish rugby until radical structural change is made to domestic rugby and its not down to the coach.

I can understand both opinions contained in this quote.

We all know the Scotland system needs updated. The SRU have responded poorly to the advent of the professional game.

BUT and it is a big but for a reason andy Robinson has at his disposal the best players we have had for about 5-6 years. He struggles with picking the best of them though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:51 am

BUT, i want to know how you do that big BUT.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:57 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
cp10 wrote:

Grow up.

I can understand both opinions contained in this quote.

We all know the Scotland system needs updated. The SRU have responded poorly to the advent of the professional game.

BUT and it is a big but for a reason andy Robinson has at his disposal the best players we have had for about 5-6 years. He struggles with picking the best of them though.

I agree that its not the best but what can the coach do if players don't execute the plan. I also agree that certain players should have been in from the start but you can't have 15 new guys playing together in test rugby. Give him until after the next 6N with new coaches (Cuttita should be taken out back and shot) in place and the new players blooded into the current squad then judge him.

With the exception of Italy (which i thought was one of the worst Scottish games I've seen since FH days) we shouldn't really be able to compete with the other 4 nations due to strength of resources.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:24 pm

cp10 wrote:you can't have 15 new guys playing together in test rugby. Give him until after the next 6N with new coaches (Cuttita should be taken out back and shot) in place and the new players blooded into the current squad then judge him.

With the exception of Italy (which i thought was one of the worst Scottish games I've seen since FH days) we shouldn't really be able to compete with the other 4 nations due to strength of resources.

If ever there was a time when that argument was shown up to be utter tosh, then it is this year. Did you watch England play at all? We had players with more caps than their entire starting 15 at the start of the campaign, and but for a bit of magic from Scott Williams, they wouldve won the grand slam. Not only that, but they grew as a team throughout the tournament and noticeably learnt from each game. Something Scotland havent done in the best part of a decade. We spring the odd surprise here and there, but dont look to build on it, and inevitably put in a dire performance the next week. im talking Argentina 09, Samoa 10 and Ireland 11. These players and this coach seem to think that the odd victory will paper over the cracks and allow them to put their feet up and not constantly try and improve their game. They have failed time and again, and nothing will now redeem them. There needs to be a complete clear-out of dead wood in that set up, get the guys from Edinburgh and Glasgow who arent content with losing and then claiming that fans expect too much from professionals who have food put on their table by people who put thousands over the years into supporting them.

And as for your second sentence sentence, by that logic argentina shouldnt be able to compete full stop considering their resources are non-existant. Yet there they stand.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 pm

bsando wrote:To add a different perspective... I think its a positive thing he is staying. Scott Johnson and Matt Taylor at his side with Sean Lineen, this can only be positive. We'll finally get Visser later this year and we already have a lot of great newbies getting a go. I think there are definitely more positives than negatives to take from this.

Now its been announced I'm not sure what to think. On one hand I'm worried that Robinson hasnt selected the strongest teams on a number of occasions. On the other I think we are almost 'in too deep' and now we've set up the United States of Robinson we need to stick with it, rather than backing out and risking a complete collapse.

As a result I think I agree with Bsando. I just don't see a better, realistic alternative out there and I'm not sure we could afford to pay Robbo et al off anyway. By realistic I mean Mallet wouldnt 'realistically' be interested and EOS is yesterday's man IMO. I'd really like Cuttita to go and for Peter Wright or Tom Smith to come in. I'd also make room for Chick. I think we need to groom the next generation and not put all our eggs in Toonie's basket.

In summary I want to see how we do this summer before casting final judgement. I have faith the grand plan will come to fruition over the next year, if it doesnt then the SRU and I will have egg on our faces.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:50 pm

nickj wrote:

Now its been announced I'm not sure what to think. On one hand I'm worried that Robinson hasnt selected the strongest teams on a number of occasions. On the other I think we are almost 'in too deep' and now we've set up the United States of Robinson we need to stick with it, rather than backing out and risking a complete collapse.

As a result I think I agree with Bsando. I just don't see a better, realistic alternative out there and I'm not sure we could afford to pay Robbo et al off anyway. By realistic I mean Mallet wouldnt 'realistically' be interested and EOS is yesterday's man IMO. I'd really like Cuttita to go and for Peter Wright or Tom Smith to come in. I'd also make room for Chick. I think we need to groom the next generation and not put all our eggs in Toonie's basket.

In summary I want to see how we do this summer before casting final judgement. I have faith the grand plan will come to fruition over the next year, if it doesnt then the SRU and I will have egg on our faces.

You can't use England as the example. The majority of the English players had years of playing in the Premiership which is a physically tougher league than Pro12 (not as good on the eye though) + the Saffa imports. Most of that England team had played before it was only 6(?) of the team that were new. You're talking about throwing players like Matt Scott in who's in his first season as a professional player.

I do agree that Argentina punch above their weight but they don't have a 6N to play ever year so their ranking is artificial as most matches are "friendly" test matches. Now they're in the Tri Nations we'll see how well they get on.

Last edited by cp10 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Did you mean to quote me? Not sure I did use England as an example.

I tend to pretend the buggers dont exist when it comes to rugby... Wink

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
cp10 wrote:you can't have 15 new guys playing together in test rugby. Give him until after the next 6N with new coaches (Cuttita should be taken out back and shot) in place and the new players blooded into the current squad then judge him.

If ever there was a time when that argument was shown up to be utter tosh, then it is this year. Did you watch England play at all? We had players with more caps than their entire starting 15 at the start of the campaign, and but for a bit of magic from Scott Williams, they wouldve won the grand slam. Not only that, but they grew as a team throughout the tournament and noticeably learnt from each game. Something Scotland havent done in the best part of a decade. We spring the odd surprise here and there, but dont look to build on it, and inevitably put in a dire performance the next week. im talking Argentina 09, Samoa 10 and Ireland 11. These players and this coach seem to think that the odd victory will paper over the cracks and allow them to put their feet up and not constantly try and improve their game. They have failed time and again, and nothing will now redeem them. There needs to be a complete clear-out of dead wood in that set up, get the guys from Edinburgh and Glasgow who arent content with losing and then claiming that fans expect too much from professionals who have food put on their table by people who put thousands over the years into supporting them.

And as for your second sentence sentence, by that logic argentina shouldnt be able to compete full stop considering their resources are non-existant. Yet there they stand.
+1

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:56 pm

nickj wrote:Did you mean to quote me? Not sure I did use England as an example.

I tend to pretend the buggers dont exist when it comes to rugby... Wink

Sorry, I miss quoted.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Scotland showed this year that they do have the players there to become very challenging again. There has been promice for the last few years but for some reason it just hasnt come off.

To me, Andy Robinson is not the man to take Scotland forward.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:08 pm

biltongbek wrote:BUT, i want to know how you do that big BUT.

do you like big BUTs?

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:15 pm

biltongbek wrote:BUT, i want to know how you do that big BUT.

But check your font size Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Great news for Scotland, his made one mistake picking Dan Parks in the 1st 6nations game which you could have won If etc...! apart from that he hasn't done a bad job seeing as he only has two pro teams to pick from.

Plus it means he won't be coming to Bath again next year but saying that he'd do a better job than the current turnip Sir Geech.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 pm

That and selecting Barclay at 6, Jacobsen ahead of Welsh until injury forced his hand, failing to select Hogg until injury forced his hand, Cusiter ahead of Blair when Blair was clearly in better form, dropping Weir for Jackson, plus a few similar ones in the world cup. As a selector he is unbelievably bad.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:58 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Robbo cannot be blamed for players standing in front of the kicker at the restart.

Wholesale changes are required.

If you mess up, yer benched/off the team. Problem is, we don't have the players to allow us to act on this.

Our depth is shocking. And bringing in players before they are ready is not the answer.

Look at Jones on the wing. He was not ready. Missed important match deciding tackles,

We need rugby at grass roots to strengthen. Increase the player base and fan base (fans = money to invest)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm disappointed by the decision, I must say.

Moving on from it now I really hope Robinson has learned his lessons from this 6 Nations. Take off the selection blinkers, forget any rugby that has happened prior to this season and pick purely on form. Go to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Sale, Glaws etc. matches and judge the players entirely on merit.

Do that and Robinson will have the chance to redeem himself.

Hopefully the input from Scott Johnson and Matt Taylor will really freshen things up and get the players engaging again. There's no doubt the players will inceasingly despondant as the 6 Nations wore on, and I can't help but think the sacking of the defence coach half way through the tournament, and the knowledge that Toonie was moving on, unsettled training. The team got progressively worse as a collective.

Big chance in the summer to start a new program, pick the right players and rebuild team spirit. We're stuck with Robinson, so let's hope he makes the best of the reprieve.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Short answer to any managerial/coaching change is always this - if you sack the current incumbent are you likely to get someone as good or better. I doubt very much if there's anyone better than Robinson out there that Scotland could get, from the opinions expressed on here none of his backroom staff are capable and none of the "big names" seem to be intersested so who's left.
England were in the lucky position of finding Lancaster almost by mistake (and there's guarantee where that will lead) and in fairness to Robinson he has not got a huge pool to pick from.
I guess the SRU have gone on the principle of "the devil you know".

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:Short answer to any managerial/coaching change is always this - if you sack the current incumbent are you likely to get someone as good or better. I doubt very much if there's anyone better than Robinson out there that Scotland could get, from the opinions expressed on here none of his backroom staff are capable and none of the "big names" seem to be intersested so who's left.
England were in the lucky position of finding Lancaster almost by mistake (and there's guarantee where that will lead) and in fairness to Robinson he has not got a huge pool to pick from.I guess the SRU have gone on the principle of "the devil you know".

All the more reason to pick the best Players in that pool. I know we have a small player pool and we can only urinate with the willy we have. What you don't do is play Locks at 6 or opensides at 6 or wingers at 12 and hope for the best.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Yes will be very interesting to see what reception Mark 'Nae Bottle' Dodson gets at Firhill tonight ! furious

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:43 pm

BTW cp10. I may have to grow up but you sure do have to wise up. Guess you are the sort of wee weenie who would crawl all over the SRU. Are you a Hootsman journalist by any chance ?

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Simply its a bad decision from the SRU. As i said earlier, AR has enough quailty players to choose from but he (like Kidney) always chooses the safety first option instead of the have a go option.

I have been a fan of him but this 6N, his squad selections and very odd (almost premeditated) substitutions had me amazed.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:55 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:BTW cp10. I may have to grow up but you sure do have to wise up. Guess you are the sort of wee weenie who would crawl all over the SRU. Are you a Hootsman journalist by any chance ?

No, certain Hootsman journalists are anti pro team. Most articles are just press releases from the SRU - lazy journalism. I'm off to Murrayfield to shout (yes there are some of us that do) on the team tonight.

I'm just a realist and see what ever we do we're so far behind the others that we've not really got much chance.

I don't trust the SRU (the collection of clubs) to run the game for the good of the country. However I have heard good things from the CEO.

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Yeah ok. Enjoy the game. I'm off to Firhill but I can assure you Dodson will not get a warm reception there re his role in the Townsend affliction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:46 pm

The SRU make poor decisions as a matter of course they are more than anyone to blame for the dire mess the game is in North of the border.

All it means to those outside Scotland is one weaker team in the 6 Nations and more chance of being successful.

They should of sacked him.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by albaook Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:17 am

This thread, and other related ones, make for depressing reading. Sad

My opinion, like the majority of posters I've read, is that this is not the right call. But the decision has been made and we have to make the best of it and continue to support the pro teams (well done Edinburgh and Glasgow last night) and the national team.

Maybe, just maybe though, there may be a chink of light that is the end of the tunnel rather than an on rushing train.

As a newish poster and relatively new convert to the game I would like to suggest a football analogy. Erm

Take the example of Sunderland FC this season. Sinking like a stone in the league, couldn't buy a win, performances less than impressive. They change their manager / coach, select a couple of fringe players, get one guy back from long term injury (Kelly Brown anyone?) and they turn their season around, look motivated, start getting results etc......

With the two southern hemisphere coaches taking up their posts this summer there is an argument to be made that this change will make a difference, and maybe, just maybe cause a similar effect.

I'm not saying this will happen, just that its a possibility. I'm not by nature an optimist, but these guys may make all the difference, I'm certainly hoping so.

albaook

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:13 am

albaok, you are right. I've decided I'm going to ignore Robinson and his buffoonery, and focus on the good things about the side, the promise and talent that we have in the best group of players we've had pulling on the thistle in a wee while Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down