The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales plans for the Autumn internationals.

+15
GavinDragon
pontylad
Equo Troiano
blackcanelion
Woodstock
Morgannwg
TycroesOsprey
BigTrevsbigmac
Biltong
nganboy
Taylorman
wales606
Dubbelyew L Overate
Knowsit17
maestegmafia
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales plans for the Autumn internationals. Empty Wales plans for the Autumn internationals.

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:43 pm

The Welsh Rugby Union has confirmed details of an autumn series of internationals at the Millennium Stadium in 2012 which will feature a clash against the current world champions, New Zealand.

Warren Gatland's Grand Slam winning side will face Argentina, Samoa, the All Blacks and Australia during November and early December. The series includes three Saturday kick-offs while the game against Samoa will be a Friday evening fixture.
Waleswill play Argentina on November 10 (KO 2.30pm), Samoa on Friday November 16 (KO 7.30pm), New Zealand on November 24 (KO 5.15pm) and Australia on December 1 (KO 2.30pm).

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/21666.php

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales plans for the Autumn internationals. Empty Re: Wales plans for the Autumn internationals.

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:49 pm

Should be 2 wins. No more.

Back to top Go down

Wales plans for the Autumn internationals. Empty Re: Wales plans for the Autumn internationals.

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Should be 2 wins. No more.

I agree, beat the two heavyweights and blood some babies against Samoa and the Pumas at the cost of sacrificing the result.

Sorted Smile

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:01 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:

I agree, beat the two heavyweights and blood some babies against Samoa and the Pumas at the cost of sacrificing the result.

Sorted Smile
Laugh Good luck with that. Watch your world ranking go down!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:

Sorted Smile

Best opportunity in years, strong squad, playing good rugby with a talented coach and back room team.

The players all seem to really enjoy playing for Wales. It's a long way off but 2012 may well end that long wait to improve on the results of 2004 and 1978.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:14 pm

Blimey, the Samoa game will be interesting, if they can assemble their best squad with some decent preparation.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:Blimey, the Samoa game will be interesting, if they can assemble their best squad with some decent preparation.

I hope they can. They were ferocious in the RWC and are one of the most passionate though poorest rugby big names.

The IRB continue to state how they are trying to help nations like Samoa it would be great to see their team get full release from their clubs for the entire Autumn IRB window.

Definitely becoming one of my favourite teams for Wales to play.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:33 pm

Nice time for Gatland to prepare against Arg and Samoa (though they will be tough games to get the players ready)

The the All Blacks - thats the big game

Could see a lot of injured players against Aus.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:49 pm

The big thing about this year is there is an awful lot of NH vs SH matches at both ends of the park- maybe 20 or so? So be interesting to see what the overall ledger is years end. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:52 pm

Taylorman wrote:The big thing about this year is there is an awful lot of NH vs SH matches at both ends of the park- maybe 20 or so? So be interesting to see what the overall ledger is years end. thumbsup

Well I am hoping it won't be as one sided as in previous years. Trust me we are trying our damnedest to give you lads a bit of competition.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:18 pm

I can't see Wales losing to NZ this year.
6 Nations Grand Slammers
Settled team with world class players all over the place
All in good nick after a break and then excellent preparation with games against low ranked teams Arg and Samoa.

NZ will be tired after a long season, new coach, new players with many old stars out with injury, world cup hangover and away from home.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:31 pm

It's all a long way off. Great timing by the WRU to announce the games just after the GS, sure to be sell out games.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

nganboy wrote:I can't see Wales losing to NZ this year.
6 Nations Grand Slammers
All in good nick after a break and then excellent preparation with games against low ranked teams Arg and Samoa.

NZ will be tired after a long season, new coach, new players with many old stars out with injury, world cup hangover and away from home.

Ngan , can you not be tired by the time you have to play us?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:42 pm

biltongbek wrote:
6 Nations Grand Slammers

Bil that would work even more in our favour..!!!

Wouldn't it???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
6 Nations Grand Slammers

Wouldn't it???

Sure, if they are tired by the time we play them, they'll be off their feet by the time you meet them. But alas, I think we are both just dreaming dreams and seeing visions. Sad
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:51 pm

6 Nations Grand Slammers

Argentina are only 2 rankings behind Wales & I wouldn't say a win against Samoa is a given.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:52 pm

biltongbek wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
6 Nations Grand Slammers

Wouldn't it???

Sure, if they are tired by the time we play them, they'll be off their feet by the time you meet them. But alas, I think we are both just dreaming dreams and seeing visions. Sad

In 53 they were shattered, god knows how many games they'd played.

One can only hope that history repeats..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:35 am

Wales beating NZ would be great but thats the bigh hurdle isnt. If it does happen I wonder what teh fallout will be in NZ losing that record.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:00 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
6 Nations Grand Slammers

Argentina are only 2 rankings behind Wales & I wouldn't say a win against Samoa is a given.

Never seen a Kiwi so confident in us.

Arg/Samoa are by no means a given but going by current form I think we can beat both by 10 points or more.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:31 am

Well over the years Wales and NZ have played some pretty close games. In recent years the ABs do not disrespect Wales by putting out anything but the strongest team, to do so now would be stupid. This is the strongest we have been for decades and the 1953 curse could get lifted. I could then remove my 1953 match day programmed form its frame and sell it lol
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:36 am

Woodstock wrote:Well over the years Wales and NZ have played some pretty close games. In recent years the ABs do not disrespect Wales by putting out anything but the strongest team, to do so now would be stupid. This is the strongest we have been for decades and the 1953 curse could get lifted. I could then remove my 1953 match day programmed form its frame and sell it lol

Not sure about that. We've given a few boys a run in recent years (the spring and Autumn internationals are still a development opportunity). I think this a good year for Wales though, especially if they rest their players in Autumn. It's a bit of an unknown for us Kiwis this year.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:19 am

We all give kids a run out aginst NZ in 2010. But please writer to Setve and ask him to choose whomever he wants, I would say you would you need your strongest out against us this time and hopefully for the long long term future.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:34 am

Woodstock wrote:We all give kids a run out aginst NZ in 2010. But please writer to Setve and ask him to choose whomever he wants, I would say you would you need your strongest out against us this time and hopefully for the long long term future.

Agreed. I think they'll probably mix and match in the Scotland/Italy games and play strong teams against Wales and England. England are a bit of a worry. We're about due a loss to them and the last game on tour can be a bit tricky.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:48 am

But this time Wales have the better team and I think all this psychological clap trap about 1953 is a little over done to be honest.

A few (even) one win in Australia will be good, a series win incredible. A few resting against Argentina but strong enough to win I think and then all the big guns out for the AB's.

Unfortunately Wales always sem to get a lot of injuries but hopefully our luck will change there too.

Regardless of what other wummers may think here, the general opinion is that Wales are on the up. Can only be good.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 20 Mar 2012, 6:09 am

Better team is still a relative term if thats primarily because they achieved the GS. They won two others recently and didnt convert that to SH wins. But had they lost to France I still would have believed Wales were a better team because of the way they play rather than the results they achieve.

Given that this year is a good chance for SH scalps because of the unknowns facing particularly NZ and SA...coaches players etc.

Its a pity we arent playing wales. Ireland dont look ready for this just yet though that could be famous last words as well.

Good start to the year overall and a fascinating one ahead.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:40 am

Taylorman wrote:Better team is still a relative term if thats primarily because they achieved the GS. They won two others recently and didnt convert that to SH wins.

Precisely, still you can't fault the optimism.

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Tue 20 Mar 2012, 9:41 am

Question from Mrs Pontylad on saturday "are you over the World Cup now " answer not really ,thinking about it I'll be over it if we can win the summer test series and also beat NZ in the autumn . Possibly I'd settle for the latter and one win in Australia.

Need to aim high and get the SH monkey off our backs.

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 20 Mar 2012, 9:50 am

Well, you can't fault her, she knows what she wants. thumbsup

getting it, is an entirely different story alltogether. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Tue 20 Mar 2012, 9:53 am

It was my answer bilt but yes generally she does !

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:04 am

Taylorman wrote:Better team is still a relative term if thats primarily because they achieved the GS. They won two others recently and didnt convert that to SH wins. But had they lost to France I still would have believed Wales were a better team because of the way they play rather than the results they achieve.

Given that this year is a good chance for SH scalps because of the unknowns facing particularly NZ and SA...coaches players etc.

Its a pity we arent playing wales. Ireland dont look ready for this just yet though that could be famous last words as well.

Good start to the year overall and a fascinating one ahead.

The way we are playing certainly points to a decent immediate future but it is the behind the scenes stuff that is far more relevant. Wales academies are doing a fantastic job in increasing the quality of Welsh rugby below International level, building the competition for places. Building the strength and depth, decreasing the amount of foreign players.

Before when we won Grandslams we did it with a first team and a few decent subs, now we have a squad of talented players, and others fighting to get in to that squad.

Wales have more talented players fighting for places in a better system than they have had since the 70s. There are plenty of reasons why we are improving.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:14 am

if wales dont win a game in the summer and a win in the AI (either team would do) then for me it dillutes the progress this team has made. GS are great and an achievement but everyone in world rugby knows the hardest games are those against the SH sides, which is why england went into the 03 WC as no1 team in world and rightly so....if wales want the respect they crave they must go out there and earn it...

success for me would be a win down under (preferably not the dead rubber in the third test) and a win against aus or NZ in the autumn, failure to do this means we have stagnated

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:18 am

GavinDragon wrote:if wales dont win a game in the summer and a win in the AI (either team would do) then for me it dillutes the progress this team has made. GS are great and an achievement but everyone in world rugby knows the hardest games are those against the SH sides, which is why england went into the 03 WC as no1 team in world and rightly so....if wales want the respect they crave they must go out there and earn it...

success for me would be a win down under (preferably not the dead rubber in the third test) and a win against aus or NZ in the autumn, failure to do this means we have stagnated

I think we all agree with you mate.

Its time for Wales to step it up, lets hope they can do it, else we will all feel like we haven't made progress.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:25 am

maestegmafia wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:if wales dont win a game in the summer and a win in the AI (either team would do) then for me it dillutes the progress this team has made. GS are great and an achievement but everyone in world rugby knows the hardest games are those against the SH sides, which is why england went into the 03 WC as no1 team in world and rightly so....if wales want the respect they crave they must go out there and earn it...

Its time for Wales to step it up, lets hope they can do it, else we will all feel like we haven't made progress.

I understand and agree with you sentiments. Just remember it is three full years to the world cup, and in my opinion this is not a challenge to be overcome all in one year. There will be an opportunity to play the SH nations in about 12-15 tests during this time, and a consistent improvement over this time with another six nations or two, will set Wales up to have not only a form team going into the world cup but also a history proven to no other than themsleves that they have managed to achieve those wins over an extended period in time.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:34 am

totally agree biltong which is why i have said only one victory in each phase of games this year ;-)

by 2014 we should be winning all of them (a bit tongue in cheek but that has to be the aim), but your right it starts this year we must get a win down there

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:45 am

biltongbek wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I understand and agree with you sentiments. Just remember it is three full years to the world cup, and in my opinion this is not a challenge to be overcome all in one year. There will be an opportunity to play the SH nations in about 12-15 tests during this time, and a consistent improvement over this time with another six nations or two, will set Wales up to have not only a form team going into the world cup but also a history proven to no other than themsleves that they have managed to achieve those wins over an extended period in time.

Unfortunately we either need to win a few games against SH opposition now or hope that France, England and Ireland all get pasted. So that we are in the top four come the end of 2012. With reference to the pool seedings, we want to be tier one. We need to be 4th in the IRB rankings.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:10 am

And so it begins....
We hear this every time Wales play NZ. Whilst you have got to admire the optimism, consider the tearful outrage which would fly over the Severn if an Englishman said this about any team...

One welshman on here even wrote that if Warburton hadnt been sent off then Wales would have beaten France in the SF, and then "most probably" have beaten NZ in the final!

Wales are looking good, have an impressive GS under their belts and fans who are understandably excited about what their team could do. However the fact that its been 60 odd years since the sole Welsh victory over NZ should surely mean a pause for some humility?

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:22 am

i think youl find the majority of welsh fans are realistic in that it is very difficult to beat these teams, and the majooritu wont say that wales WILL without doubt win just that wales CAN win and need to if they are to prgoress

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:31 am

damngoodOvalball wrote:

And so it begins....
We hear this every time Wales play NZ. Whilst you have got to admire the optimism, consider the tearful outrage which would fly over the Severn if an Englishman said this about any team...

One welshman on here even wrote that if Warburton hadnt been sent off then Wales would have beaten France in the SF, and then "most probably" have beaten NZ in the final!

Wales are looking good, have an impressive GS under their belts and fans who are understandably excited about what their team could do. However the fact that its been 60 odd years since the sole Welsh victory over NZ should surely mean a pause for some humility?

Unless you are stupid you would have seen the comment was made by somebody not Welsh?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:42 am

No need for name calling Morgann.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:33 pm

I think even a dead rubber win would be good for this Welsh team right now. They haven't beaten a tri nation side at home since the late 60s (I think). Breaking that duck would be a significant step. How times have you played games were you should have won but couldn't quite manage it? (Australia in 2007 was it?). England started their run of 3N wins with a loss and then a win over South Africa in South Africa in 2000.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
damngoodOvalball wrote:

And so it begins....

Unless you are stupid you would have seen the comment was made by somebody not Welsh?

Probably best that you work out the correct use of a question mark before labelling anyone stupid OK

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by pontylad Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:

I think even a dead rubber win would be good for this Welsh team right now. They haven't beaten a tri nation side at home since the late 60s (I think). Breaking that duck would be a significant step. How times have you played games were you should have won but couldn't quite manage it? (Australia in 2007 was it?). England started their run of 3N wins with a loss and then a win over South Africa in South Africa in 2000.

I think a dead rubber win being the last game would get Wales more points in the IRB ratings at least that's the way I think it works ,if it's that important to be to be 4 top 4 for World Cup seedings that is.

pontylad

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

pontylad wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

I think a dead rubber win being the last game would get Wales more points in the IRB ratings at least that's the way I think it works ,if it's that important to be to be 4 top 4 for World Cup seedings that is.

It is a critical endeavour to try to make it into the top four. Wales are in the best position since about 1978 to do so. But even so it would mean that the players would have to up their game somewhat.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:19 pm

Summer tours and AIs are always difficult to call in that should they be used for development or getting mors wins and confidence under your belt.

I would like to see us take as strong a side as possible to Oz and really take the next step in the development proces.

Come the AIs then I think we need to look at bringing on a genuine replacement to Adam Jones and some back up to Priestland.

That said we just can't chuck an in-experienced team in against the Pumas or Samoa as it will end in defeat, so a bit of tweaking in maybe one or teo positions but lets aim for 4 out of 4.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:31 pm

Good AI fixture list that, playing 3 of the "new" 4 Nations (it is this year Arg join the SH party isn't it ?).

We know have to start playing the best in the world to prepare to lift the 2015 RWC in Twickenham.

Its OK playing sides like England every year, well its a tradition that I would not like to see disappear. But they hold no challenge anymore do they....

We now have to play the best in the Summer Tours and Autumn. Don't get me wrong, the Wales/England fixture will always be special and a useful training game to blow the cobwebs away.

Spoiler:

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:01 pm

'But they hold no challenge anymore do they....'

yes they do hold a challenge a very big one, but not in the same way that the SH sides do which is where we must seek to progress now

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Mar 2012, 2:09 pm

GavinDragon wrote:'But they hold no challenge anymore do they....'

yes they do hold a challenge a very big one, but not in the same way that the SH sides do which is where we must seek to progress now

I agree...!

The Six Nations matches are incredibly hard to win, there is masses of pressure on players to perform. No matter whether Wales are playing a good England side or a poor one they are always well tested in the game and grateful for a win should we achieve one. We haven't given England a good beating of more than one score since the 27 - 3 win in Cardiff in 1979. Where as England have given as some atrocious pastings when they have been the better team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 20 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Summer tours and AIs are always difficult to call in that should they be used for development or getting mors wins and confidence under your belt.

to be honest I hate it when SA coaches want to experiment. If you consider the fact that an international coach has plenty of methods to expose young blood during any time of the year I see absolutely no necessity to use the term experimental teams.

First of all you achieve nothing to have an experimental team get a hiding and it creates mental blocks for those individuals. Send as strong a possible team into every test and have 1 or 2 youngsters on the bench, let them play sub impact rugby for a handful of tests.

Not sure if you knwo this but Bobby skinstad was developed in that manner and it was highly successful.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Mar 2012, 4:46 pm

biltongbek wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Summer tours and AIs are always difficult to call in that should they be used for development or getting mors wins and confidence under your belt.

to be honest I hate it when SA coaches want to experiment. If you consider the fact that an international coach has plenty of methods to expose young blood during any time of the year I see absolutely no necessity to use the term experimental teams.

First of all you achieve nothing to have an experimental team get a hiding and it creates mental blocks for those individuals. Send as strong a possible team into every test and have 1 or 2 youngsters on the bench, let them play sub impact rugby for a handful of tests.

Not sure if you knwo this but Bobby skinstad was developed in that manner and it was highly successful.

I would say that nearly all Wales' successful new comers, squad depth and future replacement players have come from being thrown in the deep end when a more senior first team player is injured not rested to give a new comer experience.

Halfpenny, Roberts, Warburton, Priestland and Faletau are all examples of this, though most of the first team were also formerly players who were called up to the first team when an opportunity arose due to injury.

It seems a player feels more free to make an impressionable account of themselves when they know they will likely have a few games to do so rather than a one off in a weakened team against a lower ranked national side, maybe one outside of the Top Ten.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 20 Mar 2012, 4:49 pm

Well also the fact that the rest of the team inspires confidence in a new player, take cuthbert as a prime example.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next