The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales Since 2010 Autumn Internationals

5 posters

Go down

Wales Since 2010 Autumn Internationals Empty Wales Since 2010 Autumn Internationals

Post by EngInAuck Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:19 am

Now i must have missed something .....

Wales are getting quite alot of Hype these days (Mainly from the welsh people themselves... well actually 99% from Welsh Suporters)

2011 Autumn internationals:
A draw to Fiji 16-16
A Loss to a South African team full of Fringe players
A Loss to Nz
A Loss to Oz

2011- 6 Nations:
Position 4th with losses to England (at millennium stadium) and France (In France)
Win over Scotland at Murray Field
Win over Italy in Italy
Win over Ireland at Home

Warm up matches:
Loss to England at HQ
Win Against England at Home (Experimental team for WC)
Win against Argentina

World Cup:
Loss to SA
Win against Samoa (Who only had a few days rest)
Win Against Nambia
Win Against Fiji (Improvement since last time)
Loss to France
Loss to Oz

Shanes farewell game:
Loss to Oz

6 Nations 2012:
Win against Ireland at Aviva
Win against Scotland at home
Last gasp Win at HQ against a New Inexperienced England team

My point being i cant see a single result that would suggest Wales deserve the Hype they are getting, and can i just suggest that some people not get carried away Whistle

A Good team? ...Yes .But lets not forget they have not Achieved anything yet. The last time they Beat any Sanzar Members was back in 2008 and that was Oz at home.

Dont get me wrong they are a great team and i can admit they are better than the team i support rose at the moment but i just dont think this hype is justified.

cuppa

EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Wales Since 2010 Autumn Internationals Empty Re: Wales Since 2010 Autumn Internationals

Post by Taylorman Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:47 am

I think its more because something different is in the air. With the losses you mention most were close affairs and from 10-10 to 66-0 is a touch more than 'improvement' so your summary is a little slanted away from Wales in the same vain the 2 wins over England (that seemed to require qualification where the loss didnt for instance).

But a good point. Some are getting carried away a bit, heaping expectation on this team and I'm probably guilty of that. For me as a neutral this is the first 6N (or Home union- France do it all the time) team for a while that has adopted an expansive game and getting results with it.

Wales and Ireland try to play a wide game as a rule but havent really the required number of world class players to pull it off in big matches- this team has the potential to do that.

But with it comes expectations and a fair number here can't seem to wait to see them fall over.

Was saying the same sort of thing when England were doing similar things against Oz and us 2010 AI's but then they went off the ball again. Went back to scrums, retaining the ball, starving the backs etc as priority.

For us down here its a breath of fresh air I suppose...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Wales Since 2010 Autumn Internationals Empty Re: Wales Since 2010 Autumn Internationals

Post by Woodstock Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:07 am

EngInAuck wrote:Now i must have missed something .....

Wales are getting quite alot of Hype these days (Mainly from the welsh people themselves... well actually 99% from Welsh Suporters)

2011 Autumn internationals:
A draw to Fiji 16-16
A Loss to a South African team full of Fringe players
A Loss to Nz
A Loss to Oz

2011- 6 Nations:
Position 4th with losses to England (at millennium stadium) and France (In France)
Win over Scotland at Murray Field
Win over Italy in Italy
Win over Ireland at Home

Warm up matches:
Loss to England at HQ
Win Against England at Home (Experimental team for WC)
Win against Argentina

World Cup:
Loss to SA
Win against Samoa (Who only had a few days rest)
Win Against Nambia
Win Against Fiji (Improvement since last time)
Loss to France
Loss to Oz

Shanes farewell game:
Loss to Oz

6 Nations 2012:
Win against Ireland at Aviva
Win against Scotland at home
Last gasp Win at HQ against a New Inexperienced England team

My point being i cant see a single result that would suggest Wales deserve the Hype they are getting, and can i just suggest that some people not get carried away Whistle

A Good team? ...Yes .But lets not forget they have not Achieved anything yet. The last time they Beat any Sanzar Members was back in 2008 and that was Oz at home.

Dont get me wrong they are a great team and i can admit they are better than the team i support rose at the moment but i just dont think this hype is justified.

cuppa

If I were you, I would have stopped after the first 6 words pal. The rest is the usual dross as has been posted too many times to mention by you lot already zen
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:50 am

Woodstock wrote:

If I were you, I would have stopped after the first 6 words pal. The rest is the usual dross as has been posted too many times to mention by you lot already zen

Perhaps the reason why its been posted again and again is because no one has a good awnser and refuse to admit that the Hype is a tad unjustfied at the moment angel
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:10 am

EngInAuck wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

Perhaps the reason why its been posted again and again is because no one has a good awnser and refuse to admit that the Hype is a tad unjustfied at the moment angel

Why is it? If you are Welsh and a true Welsh rugby fan you can see that Wales have come on in leaps and bounds in under 12 months. If it annoys you and other english types move on and ignore it. After all every bugger and his dog has to know when england do something good, crap tabloids will ensure the cross of st george will be inside every paper with a pair of jubblies on page 3. zen
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:32 am

Woodstock wrote:

Why is it? If you are Welsh and a true Welsh rugby fan you can see that Wales have come on in leaps and bounds in under 12 months. If it annoys you and other english types move on and ignore it. After all every bugger and his dog has to know when england do something good, crap tabloids will ensure the cross of st george will be inside every paper with a pair of jubblies on page 3. zen

Mayby the reason that British media love reporting on England is because a a massive percentage of British people are English Doh

Believe me it far from annoys me that wales are doing better , lets face it they are but they are not doing amazing by a long shot. A stronger Wales team means a stronger 6nations and it means that other teams have to up thier game to compete meaning more entertaining games. Everyones a winner.

I was never saying that the Welsh team had not Improved. What i was saying is that Wales havnt improved into a great team that deserves all the Hype people are giving them they have improved into a Good team.Trust me and the 70million odd other English people .Don't Hype your team up before they have achieved anything because when reality hits you that your team isnt as good as you want to believe... it hurts OK
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:40 am

EngInAuck wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

Mayby the reason that British media love reporting on England is because a a massive percentage of British people are English Doh

Believe me it far from annoys me that wales are doing better , lets face it they are but they are not doing amazing by a long shot. A stronger Wales team means a stronger 6nations and it means that other teams have to up thier game to compete meaning more entertaining games. Everyones a winner.

I was never saying that the Welsh team had not Improved. What i was saying is that Wales havnt improved into a great team that deserves all the Hype people are giving them they have improved into a Good team.Trust me and the 70million odd other English people .Don't Hype your team up before they have achieved anything because when reality hits you that your team isnt as good as you want to believe... it hurts OK

Then it hurts for the Welsh, don't fret about it, it means you can gloat, after all England have done very little in any sport (Major) to howl about or get the Sun to print red cross flags. Possibly you should omit the British bit I am sure Scotland and Wales don't give a flying **** about things English ...... it also (for passionate Welsh) meant English anyway, I happen to be Briton Wales As for you and your 70million, I doubt if they all support your opinion, but that's because they are not all English....another subject.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:20 am

Now I must have missed something......

Like the point of this post?
Some fans always hype their teams. So what? Most fans keep a healthy perspective. Why are you so concerned about Wales? Use your time on something more fruitful.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 am

So i shouldn't Discuss the current state of the Wales team because i don't hype them up ? really ? Doh

And my apologies wood stock the 2008 estimate was 51 Million English people in Britain , all i was pointing out was that the reason that British Media reports on English things more often is because there are more english people than Welsh Scotish ect.

And to England doing Nothing major in sport .... oh dear laughing But before this turns into a my countries better than yours. Back to the main subject.......

EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:46 am

I've supported Wales since the mid-1950s, so have seen many ups and downs in the fortunes of the Welsh side.

Most people in Britain are English, so it's not surprising that the national media - especially the 7 or 8 daily papers - concentrate on the performances and prospects of England's national team and its club sides. But these papers are marketed as national daily papers in Wales as well as England.

What does surprise me is that some England fans completely fail to see that Welsh readers, faced with the media's concentration on England and often searching in the UK national dailies for club/regional match reports that are not about the Aviva, feel a bit resentful.

It's all very well to say that we've got the Western Mail, but that doesn't purport to be a UK national daily paper. You can buy it at Paddington Station but not at many other points in England.

The natural, predictable result of this situation is a lot of hype whenever Wales has a good result or a promising team - and especially when England are beaten at Twickenham. Why are so many England fans apparently shocked by this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:39 am

It's convenient for the OP post to go back to the 2010 Autumn Internationals for the purpose of having a dig at Wales being over-hyped. However most Wales supporters would regard the 2010/11 season as being pretty poor. Personally I was very disillusioned this time last year.

As someone else has posted it's obvious that there has been a big turnaround in performances and attitude since the World Cup warm up games last summer, with lots of talented young players being drafted in and cementing their places. It's easy to point at narrow losses against SA, France and Aus during the World Cup and criticise but if you take an objective look at all our matches since last summer we're clearly on the right track.

Despite some English posters' attempts to accuse us of over-hyping the Wales team, I think most of us are fairly realistic about where we are. We've lost a couple of tight games we could have won (in the world cup), in this 6N we've won a couple of tight games we could have lost. But Gatland's building a good team and it's great that if we beat Italy we will have put ourselves in the frame for another potential grand slam. Even if that happens though there's plenty of work to do and tough challenges ahead. I think Biltong's assessment of Wales on the other thread was just about spot on.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down