The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumoured future of The Undertaker

+5
Holymiky
David Tails
AberdeenSteve
talkingpoint
Levi
9 posters

Go down

Rumoured future of The Undertaker Empty Rumoured future of The Undertaker

Post by Levi Mon 28 Mar 2011, 5:19 am

I heard this the other day and it really got my imagination going, as a massive fan of The Undertaker. The word is that Vince has decided (obviously with 'Taker's consent) that WWE will more or less just roll him out every year at WrestleMania from now on. That way the streak could go on potentially as far as 25-0 or who knows, maybe even further. If he only wrestles from, say, Royal Rumble to 'Mania every year then I can't see his injuries being too much of an issue.

Obviously there are positives and negatives to this. My mind keeps casting back to one of my favourite Undertaker scenes, where he has won the Royal Rumble and he is in the ring selecting the champion he will face at Wrestlemania. Every year you could have the strongest and the toughest issuing their challenges and then the mythical Undertaker returns after a 9 month absence, looking stronger than ever, and names his next victim. I definitely think it could work, from that angle, if it's done right. Let's face it: there's always going to be someone who is drawn into fighting The Phenom at Wrestlemania in the hope of being the guy that ends the streak.

However there's obviously issues with this as well. What it means first and foremost is that we've seen the end of The Undertaker on regular TV. As a Creature of the Night (retro 8)) myself, would I rather see Undertaker once a year for the next 7 years or get one last really solid full year out of him? Final title run, the Cena match at 'Mania, all that? I'm not sure... Another problem is that, after a while, he might start to look a bit... old. To the new kids watching it, there's this old guy appearing for a month, squashing the next Wade Barrett or, if we're lucky, a Jericho or a Miz at 'Mania, then vanishing again. How many years could he get away with that for? And tying into that, the issue of build. I haven't been a massive fan of the build to this year's match with Triple H, we haven't even seen a single tombstone in the same way that The Game has pedigreed the odd heel through a table this month. We should have had something, just to show that he is still at the top of his game, particularly as the last time we saw him he was being squashed left and right by Kane. If the next five or six years are going to be similar build then it might get very stale very quickly.

In short, I'm torn. You have to assume it's true to have a point of view I suppose but I'd love to hear what other people think. I really believe listening to the language in 'Taker and HHH's promos this month that the streak will end, and that when it does we will have seen the last of The Last Outlaw. Would you agree with this idea of purely 'Mania matches from now on? Or if not, how would you handle The Undertaker's clearly failing body over the last stretch of his legendary career?

Levi

Back to top Go down

Rumoured future of The Undertaker Empty Re: Rumoured future of The Undertaker

Post by talkingpoint Mon 28 Mar 2011, 7:34 am

Personally I think its a bad idea. Yes the Streak is a money making gimmick but to try and extend it to say 25 as you're speculating would be overkill. The WWE need to create new ways of generating PPV buyrates for Mania - a new gimmick match, stronger feuds, more credible champions etc The PPV needs to be about more than just the UnderTaker. If Taker was to only wrestle up until mania each year it would make Mania all about him. Now it's been going on the last several years, fans know the streak is important to the WWE and they are reluctant to let it go but as predictable as it is now imagine it in 3 or 4 years time. Besides Taker would be fighting much younger opponents - HHH is the last of the attitude era and the only other person left is Cena. After that who? Barrett? Sheamus? Del Rio? It would stretch credibility to breaking point if Taker was still beating these younger opponents well into his late forties or even fifties.

I am a massive HBK fan, always have been, always will be but he made the right call to retire last year. I appreciate some Taker fans might like this idea but Taker should retire soon and stop clinging on to past glories. Nothing lasts forever.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:34 am

talkingpoint wrote: Nothing lasts forever.

Think that sums it up perfectly. If what was discussed in the OP is true then it could potentially ruin Wrestlemania. I mean, how many young up and comers are going to roll over for someone that has been there and done it all? He should take a leaf out of HBK's book and call it quits.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:47 am

I would personally say it is a terrible idea.

If you are only rolling him out for WM then you know it is guaranteed that he will win. At least the way they do it right now means there is a chance, albeit remote, that the challenger to the streak will triumph.

If this goes down, Taker is in danger of turning in to a Flair or Hogan. He needs to retire at the right time...not cling on to his one shining glory.

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:52 am

Although i do like the Taker i have to agree with DT that it isn't the best idea in the world.

Why? Because the streak matches should be built up and should be credible opponents who can really sell the fact that they could win and really, the only 2 left are HHH and Cena.

I think 20-0 would be a massive selling point. 25-0 yes it would be, but i think they would struggle to find decent opponents.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:52 am

I think it has potential.

Him coming back every so often with a slightly tweeked gimmick would work but only for Wrestlemania would be too obvious. Maybe if he did it at various different events and only came back for Wrestlemania 'IF' someone called him out?

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:25 am

I think I'd rather he just rode off into the sunset after making it 20-0 at next year's Wrestlemania. 20-0 rounds the Streak off nicely and allows the Undertaker to leave with his head held high, because let's face it a lot of people seem to be questioning Taker's presence in WWE right now, and to be honest I get their point. And this is coming from a massive Undertaker fan.

His spells on the sideline are becoming more frequent and each return brings a more muted response. If he's spending more time on the bench than on RAW or Smackdown then I say it's time to call it a day. He's already got a reduced schedule anyway - and he can't even make those dates - so it's not fair on the other wrestlers to be carrying the TV shows for 9 months of the year only for the Undertaker to show up and main event Wrestlemania. He might be the most respected guy in the locker room but eventually I'm sure even he would be feeling the heat for that one.

I just hope he does the right thing and doesn't end up tarnishing his legacy.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:33 am

Good point DT - he could potentially become another Hogan/Flair. He has the opportunity to retire next year after making it 20-0 and he would have made his stamp on wrestling history.

He is past it in my eyes - I am really unsure what the standard of his match with Hunter will be at Wrestlemania. Hunter has had action here and there to knock off his ring rust but Taker has done nothing. He could be very poor at Mania. I hope I am wrong though.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 28 Mar 2011, 9:53 am

Personally not sure it would work.

If fans arn't seeng him regular he is not going to have the same effect
on them. And as other people have said, if all he is in is one ppv,
then after a while it will ruin the ppv because it will be obvious that
he is going to win.

I think he will lose this year, and then both him and HHH will retire.
Taker because of losing the streak. HHH because there will be nothing
left for him to do, or prove.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by scfc1992 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 3:41 pm

I hope he retires once he gets to 20-0 he's becoming really boring and predictable.

scfc1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Mon 28 Mar 2011, 3:47 pm

I want the streak broken, not this year though

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down