The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Gear - This seasons offerings - Or last seasons bargains

+8
shudofhita4iron
super_realist
McLaren
mystiroakey
navyblueshorts
lorus59
hend085
Fader
12 posters

Go down

New Gear - This seasons offerings - Or last seasons bargains Empty New Gear - This seasons offerings - Or last seasons bargains

Post by Fader Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:53 pm

Just thought i'd get some general opinion on what you guys/gals do with regards to making purchases and buying choices.

My reason for asking is i've today upgraded my irons and went for something I never even considered when I started looking at new irons.

At Christmas I treated myself to a new Ping G20 driver and 3 wood and decided the new year would be time to upgrade my irons. My clubs only a year old were Nike VR Cavities I bought these when I started playing last year as they were going for a good price and seemed ideal for starting, today I traded those in for a set of new irons.

In recent weeks I've tried the new Ping I20's these were lovely so kept then in mind. I've also tried the TM MC's and CB's, Callaway RAZR X, Titleist AP2's and the Wilson CI9's all of these felt ok but nothing special and not as nice as the Pings so looked likely until today I was going for a set of I20's.

The local range to me were holding a Cobra Demo day today between 10am-2pm so though before I made a final decision it'd be worth popping along there and seeing if anything took my fancy. I tried alsorts the S3 Pro were beautiful clubs but alas were not for me, I tried the AMP irons which were a bit to clunky, the AMP Forged were lovely but to much Orange and without a Rickie Fowler bumtache I didn't think there were for me. All but ready to decide on the Pings one of the pro's gave me something to try which he fitted to the specs they set me at and I gave them a whirl and they felt superb very sweet and soft when hit flush and honestly felt much better than all others i'd tried. The flight was very powerful and even with range balls they were a club longer than my own, I found out this is because they have stronger lofts than other clubs on the market.

Turns out these clubs were actually a last season offering that the pro said was still in his opinion the best club other than the S3 that Cobra have made in recent years. They offered me a deal of having these clubs 4-Pw + throw in a free Gap Wedge for the princely sum of just 370pounds, add in the the 140 they gave me for mine and all I paid is 220quid for 9irons. So i'm now the proud owner of a set of brand new (last seasons model) Cobra S2 Forged irons, I can't wait to use them now.

So this led me to think is it really all that important to buy the latest gear for a kings ransom or is it simply smart to wait a year and buy it then when something new comes out meaning we then get a bargain?

Fader

Back to top Go down

New Gear - This seasons offerings - Or last seasons bargains Empty Re: New Gear - This seasons offerings - Or last seasons bargains

Post by hend085 Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

cant remember the exact model numbers but i remember this time last year lee westwood was changing irons and he said it was the first time he had done so for quite a few years and it was taking a bit of getting used to.
i think its important to have new grooves and grips but if they are no an older model (assuming not hickory Smile ) then theres very little in it.

hend085

Back to top Go down

New Gear - This seasons offerings - Or last seasons bargains Empty Re: New Gear - This seasons offerings - Or last seasons bargains

Post by lorus59 Fri 09 Mar 2012, 2:45 am

Having old/cheap/ equipment (no choice when one is poor) gives you the ready made excuse as to why you are playing poorly.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 09 Mar 2012, 8:49 am

I never, ever buy new gear; especially with the turnover rate of the OEMs these days. If I was after new irons, I'd probably just wait 12 months and save big time. The 'changes' in technology are minimal, at best, when new stuff comes out. What was it someone said once? "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"....

Only exception might be if I went for a fitting and a new set as a present....which may happen at some point but I'm not holding my breath just now!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:13 am

well i only just bought my new irons last year- however needed them and they will last me 6 or so years, so no dramas.

happy to buy the best and pay the premium, its worth it if you only buy new every 6-10 years, also should allways get custom fit

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:25 am

My Irons are over ten years old and still nothing has come onto the market that would better them. They were a gift so really I have had a very cheap time with irons for a decade. Before that I had a junior set then a set of blades from the 80's.

I would never buy a set of new irons as someone else may as well loose the couple of hundred quid for the joy of 4 shots with no scuff marks or dings. It is also very east to get a pro to alter clubs so the custom fit argument for new clubs is a bit of red herring as well.

I am currently looking for a second set of proper blades and will probably go for mizuno mp 33’s.

So fader, you have done the right thing in going for last years model but also think about models from 5 years ago as well.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:29 am

mclaren- when you talk about owning clubs for 6 plus years- just factor in the cost pro rata, it really isnt material to most. nice to have a littel treat know and again, whats an extra 200 quid over 6 plus years!!?

secondly if you want certain shafts you may get a much better deal with certain clubs. Rifles in new mizunos for instance come free of charge!!

The KBS shafts i got in the taylor made irons i recently bought where much cheaper buying in a new set than buying an old set and having to order shafts direct- there are many things you have to consider, and you may think one way is cheaper when in actuall fact it isnt!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:40 am

We must view things rather differently mysti, as spending £500 needlessly does not figure in my list of things I consider to be a treat. No iron on the market can match my irons for looks or feel, unless I go to a pure muscle back blade. So why would I change?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

however i point should be made- if you go and get custom fit(pay the 45 quid or whatever)

you will have an hour to try various clubs with various shaft types, various lie angles, various heads etc. The club that suits you best could come out way cheaper than you thought, you will be able to try the new models or the old in various makes!!

as long as you use your time effectively and go to the right place you could end up with not just the right clubs for you but also a saving!!

I would suggest going to a range and trying the clubs stock first to whittle it down- but then getting custom fit and using the stats given to give you the best option!

just to point out that i mean paying to get custom fit as well!- but 1 hour sometimes isnt enough time, so also get a good reading from a normal range enviroment first.

Last edited by mystiroakey on Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:45 am

Most pro's dont have the benefit of a fully kitted out range booth with radar/dopplar sensors for determining which club fits you best. If you are going to spend £600 on a set of irons, £50 to make sure you get the best ones for you is not really something to be a miser over, many fitters will take it off the cost of the clubs anyway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Mar 2012, 10:46 am

i have/used titliest 980's(the rare ones , lower ball flight and higher muscle back than the 990's)

problem is they just wore out- had em for yonks! - tried the latest titliest muscle backs and the taylor made muscle backs, but ended up with the taylor made mc's from a couple of hours on trackman. I really didnt rate the later MB's

trust me - it was worth it!

i could have ordered kbs stiuff shafts and got my irons re grooved etc- however that would have almost set me back the same money as buying the new set!! which still have beautifull feel and shapeing ability with a little bit more forgiveness

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:20 am

Like Mysti says if you buy a set of irons every say 5 years and they cost 600 quid thats not actually a huge spend or an overly expensive treat as if you work it out over the 60months you own them its only costing you a tenner a month! I bet everyone spends a lot more of that a month on the treat of a couple a beers a week.

I was happy to spend the money on a more expensive if they were for me, but fact is I tried all varieties on the demo day, different shafts etc and the best results I got were on a last year model of 1degree flat Cobra S2 Forged with a Nippon 1050 Stiff shaft and they were a complete bargain.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:25 am

you did exactly the right thing- price wasnt your concern but what suited you best, and you tried all the options. good luck

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 09 Mar 2012, 11:33 am

mystiroakey wrote:you did exactly the right thing- price wasnt your concern but what suited you best, and you tried all the options. good luck

Cheers Mysti, I think thats the important thing this has taught me, the samething happened with my choice of driver though I tried them all and the Ping G20 was best for me and againthe cheapest of all I tried, I guess if it suits you it suits you.

How do you find the MC's, I found them to be the best of the TM's I tried even though they weren't for me.

I think amongst the worst of all the clubs I tried though has to be either the TM R11 irons or the Titleist AP2, found both to be hugely over rated and to attempt to play a cut or a draw no chance they were not responsive at all

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm

"found both to be hugely over rated and to attempt to play a cut or a draw no chance they were not responsive at all"

For someone who has only been playing a year that is bold statement to blame the club and not lack of playing time and experience!!

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:41 pm

Fader wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:you did exactly the right thing- price wasnt your concern but what suited you best, and you tried all the options. good luck

Cheers Mysti, I think thats the important thing this has taught me, the samething happened with my choice of driver though I tried them all and the Ping G20 was best for me and againthe cheapest of all I tried, I guess if it suits you it suits you.

How do you find the MC's, I found them to be the best of the TM's I tried even though they weren't for me.

I think amongst the worst of all the clubs I tried though has to be either the TM R11 irons or the Titleist AP2, found both to be hugely over rated and to attempt to play a cut or a draw no chance they were not responsive at all

hated the tiliest AP2's, used to like the older TM RAC's, the MB's were lovely but slightly to unforgiving. The R11's came out after i tried the others, but more of a game improvement iron i think anyway

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 09 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm

McLaren wrote:"found both to be hugely over rated and to attempt to play a cut or a draw no chance they were not responsive at all"

For someone who has only been playing a year that is bold statement to blame the club and not lack of playing time and experience!!

What has the length of time i've been playing got to do with being able to shape the ball, I have been through and still do go through tuition to help me develop my game and shaping is one of those things and if I can do so with the same technique using other clubs and find the ones mentioned not good for that purpose should I not say or must I keep that to myself as in your eyes I've not been playing long enough to do so. Surely to improve we need to be able to play all the shots golf has to offer as simply a straight shot is not always the right shot.

Also I think now that I have got to single figures my next step is to try to get to category one and to do so those types of shots are a must have in my locker as well as a punched shot or high shot. I might not always pull it off and yes that would be my technique failing me I agree but that doesn't mean i should not try as I haven't played long enough.

Seems a very obnoxious point to make what next I can't play on a proper old fashioned links until I don plus fours and tweed jacket.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:02 pm

Just thinking aloud that there may have been a porky pie or two about the length of time you have been playing the game. I can now admit I was wrong, and that you have clearly blended natural talent and tuition quite superbly.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:04 pm

PS

Should have also said I am sorry for such accusations and that it was an inappropriate comment. Hope we can still get along on here fader.

PPS the great links are so great because they are suitable for any level of player.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:08 pm

No problem Mac.

I can hand on heart say i've been playing just over 12months this week past. In all honesty i've piled a fair amount into tuition because I want to really enjoy this great game and play to a respectable level, plus my kids now being so far away all my spare time is either golf or in the gym quite a sad existence really! But sod finding another lady at the moment.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 09 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

McLaren wrote: PS

Should have also said I am sorry for such accusations and that it was an inappropriate comment. Hope we can still get along on here fader.

PPS the great links are so great because they are suitable for any level of player.

How do you know Trumps won't be? And even if it isn't who cares. Perhaps he wasn't building a course for choppers. Being inclusive of everyone doesn't make it a great course. Carnoustie is one of the worlds toughest courses, but still one of the best.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by shudofhita4iron Fri 09 Mar 2012, 3:09 pm

mac i think we have to accept that some people are more naturally talented than others,a mate of mine packed up serious golf a few years ago but still beats me on the odd occasion we play furious
apparently faldo first picked a club up aged 13,three years later he won the english amateur championship

shudofhita4iron

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 09 Mar 2012, 4:29 pm

"apparently faldo first picked a club up aged 13,three years later he won the english amateur championship"

really !!! blimey thats something else

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:05 pm

Looking at purchasing last year's TM R11 model @ less then £200, must be a bargain. Replacing my R7.

Anyone think this is worth it ?
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

mystiroakey wrote:well i only just bought my new irons last year- however needed them and they will last me 6 or so years, so no dramas.

happy to buy the best and pay the premium, its worth it if you only buy new every 6-10 years, also should allways get custom fit

Agreed. Same for me at the back end of last years. Had my previous irons 7 years. Didn't mind paying the full whack for custom fit on my new titleists as I know I will get 6/7 years out of these two - just make sure that I change grips, sharpen grooves and get the lies checked every 12-18 months - this for me reflects good value.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm

Fader wrote:No problem Mac.

I can hand on heart say i've been playing just over 12months this week past. In all honesty i've piled a fair amount into tuition because I want to really enjoy this great game and play to a respectable level, plus my kids now being so far away all my spare time is either golf or in the gym quite a sad existence really! But sod finding another lady at the moment.

sorry off topic but i've posted my response to the OP. just had to say fader you must have some serious natural talent for the game to get to single figures within one year of picking up golf. Well done and keep up the good work.

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobo70 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:41 pm

Has anyone used www.ukgolfsales.com before

Looking to buy a TaylorMade RBZ fairway wood

They have it for £121.99 which seems too good to be true !!!!

AmericanGolf are £169.99 !!!

Dobo70

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

Dobo,

Can't view the site, however my dad recently fell into the gullible and naive 60 year old trap, saw a price too good too be true online on a site with appalling spelling and only a hotmail address, bought it, waited two weeks, nothing arrived and so he asked for his money back. He's still waiting as far as I know.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 29 Mar 2012, 2:54 pm

dobo

The site is blocked from my work PC, seems a little odd as most shopping sites other than ebay are accessible.

Super

What was the site you posted a while back for cheaper clubs?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:04 pm

Not sure it was me Mac. I tend to stick with well known sites and am happy to pay extra for the peace of mind of having a genuine club.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

Good shop i use a lot on trips north is the inverness golf centre
www.golfwarehouseuk.com
much cheaper than Edinburgh prices generally . Often i find things are 10-20% cheaper than he AG across the road, and you're supporting a local business rather than an international reptile.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dobo70 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm

To be fair, the spelling and grammar are awful.

Thanks for the replies.

Dobo70

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

Dobo70 wrote:Has anyone used www.ukgolfsales.com before

Looking to buy a TaylorMade RBZ fairway wood

They have it for £121.99 which seems too good to be true !!!!

AmericanGolf are £169.99 !!!

american golf is a complete rip off.

but from dircet golf at 129.99- that site is fine and trustworthy

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/taylormadeshop/golf_hybrids/taylormade/rocketballz_rbz_hybrid_club_senior_golf_hybrids/p13638.aspx

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down