The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Five Hardest P4P hitters - Today!

+17
BallchinianMuffwig
manos de piedra
Josef K.
OasisBFC
KingMonkey
chris_dior
88Chris05
d260005p
bellchees
AlexHuckerby
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
John Bloody Wayne
Imperial Ghosty
eddyfightfan
DaveVDK
Seanusarrilius
21 posters

Go down

Top Five Hardest P4P hitters - Today! Empty Top Five Hardest P4P hitters - Today!

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:06 pm

O.K Chaps, who are they?

Go beyond 5 if you wish, but who has the hardest mitts in the business?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Top Five Hardest P4P hitters - Today! Empty Re: Top Five Hardest P4P hitters - Today!

Post by DaveVDK Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:12 pm

1) V Klitchsko
2) Matthyse
3) Donaie
4) Ortiz
5) Berto

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Top Five Hardest P4P hitters - Today! Empty Re: Top Five Hardest P4P hitters - Today!

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:18 pm

tough question. haye, price, vitali, gamboa, donaire, martinez all come to mind, but would say they were the top 5.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:19 pm

1. Donaire
2. Gamboa
3. Pacquiao
4. Abraham
5. Rios

Not quite sure why Vitali is being rated so highly, couldn't take out either Chisora or Briggs despite landing big shots consistently.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:27 pm

Vitali is not p4p topr five.

I got

Abraham, Pac, Rios, Matthysse, Wladimir K

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:29 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Vitali is not p4p topr five.

I got

Abraham, Pac, Rios, Matthysse, Wladimir K

Vitali hits harder then Wladimir, stop being silly.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:35 pm

doesnt vitali have the highest ko percentage? certainly at world level i dont think anybody is higher than him.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:40 pm

KO% doesn't always equal power. David Lemiuex would probably be the most powerful guy around if that were true.

I think
Donaire
Gamboa
Abraham
Malignaggi
Mtthysse

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:42 pm

1.) Gamboa
2.) Ortiz
3.) Kirkland
4.) donaire
5.) Broner

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:45 pm

Not a massive fan of Wlad but he does have a pretty big dig on him and for genuine power far outstrips his brother who has good but not great power.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:46 pm

true but i think his level of opposition and his ko percentage indicate he is a huge puncher. he may not be as vicious as he once was but he still is dangerous, take the 1st round ko of solis.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:49 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:true but i think his level of opposition and his ko percentage indicate he is a huge puncher. he may not be as vicious as he once was but he still is dangerous, take the 1st round ko of solis.

I think his level of opposition is the largest reason for his high %. I'm certain Solis was stopped by his knee not Vitali's punch and I just don't see a way a genuine KO power puncher could hit Briggs that many times and not put him down. The Cannon's no iron man, Lewis bounced him up and down like a yo yo.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:52 pm

KO percentage really does mean nothing especially when we consider men like Donaire and Martinez who both produced brutal knockouts over Montiel and Williams respectively but have fairly mediocre knockout rates.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:58 pm

he's fought the best availible and won, stopping a fair few along the way. he still floored him with the punch first, fair enough he would probably have gone on. he was ahead on the scores when lewis stopped him (i dont deny lewis was making headway at the time). i dont think theres anyone at the moment with tyson or naz style power, not at the top level anyway.

if the haye fight comes off with be interesting to see if vitali will have the power to ko haye, think he stands a better chance than wlad did.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:05 pm

He may stand a better chance of stopping Haye but that's more to do with his style more than devastating power.

If we consider Lennox Lewis, he fought the best opposition available but they happened to include men like Holyfield, Tua, Mavrovic and Mercer all whom had cast iron chins. A man he did 'stop' Oliver McCall had one of the best chins in heavyweight history and perfectly highlights the misleading nature of a statistical knockout.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

if lewis was around today then he would top my list by a mile, but i just dont think anyone else is that level either. theres a lot of great fighters but i think haye was the most recent fighter with genuine one punch power (and only at cruiser weight).

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

What about Donaire, Pacquiao and Martinez?

Their knockouts of Montiel, Hatton and Williams were brutal.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:21 pm

pac man hasn't looked like having one punch ko power for a while, not even looked like hurting mosley or jmm in his last 2 fights. donaire has been taken 12 rounds in his last 2, narvaez was much smaller as well. and he really should have taken him out. martinez is a good shout for top dog, but even though his ko of williams was incredible, neither barker or dzinziruk are known for there cast iron chins

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:26 pm

Dzinziruk is known for having a cast iron chin, a fighter who had never been knocked down throughout his amateur or profressional career.

That's exactly why it's pound for pound, in Donaire and Pacquiao we aren't talking about fighters fighting at their natural weights, Pacmans ability to make far bigger men like Clottey, Margarito and Mosley respect his power speaks volumes, collectively got a handful of knockdowns between the three combined.

Having power is a lot different to having the ability to deliver it every time.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:40 pm

i would agree that martinez is high of not top of the current p4p list.

as far as not fighting at a natural weight, he made the weigh in so i dont see why he should be treated as a greater effort than any other boxer would require to do the same feat. if anything with the stipulations manny has had in place before it could be considered easier with the amount of weight someone has to cut from there "natural weight"

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:43 pm

Thats why it's pound for pound, he isn't a big puncher at welterweight but it would be quite some achievement if he was knocking out men outweighing him by about 20lbs.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:53 pm

but on the day (or the week before) they way the same, or at least they (should) normally do.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:55 pm

Weigh in weights no longer mean anything either when you end up with such massive differences come fight night.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm

i dont know the exact details of how each body operates with reguards to procedures but i would imagine you have to make a certain weight quite near fight night. although with heavyweight it can be quite considerable i will admit.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:06 pm

You have weigh ins the day before a fight but in the case of Pacquiao and Margarito you ended up with two fighters weighing 148lbs and 165lbs which is a pretty big difference to try and overcome. If Pacquiao had knocked him out we would be talking about some serious power.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm

I have no idea why VK is considered as one of the biggest hitters. When was his last one punch KO. In fact has he done any one punch KOs?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Not a massive fan of Wlad but he does have a pretty big dig on him and for genuine power far outstrips his brother who has good but not great power.

Thats the understatement of the year. Its like me saying I'm not a massive fan of rocky.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:44 am

Would say Vitali USED to hit harder than Wlad but hes much slower and lost a lot of snap, look at how fast he is in comparison to when he fought Hide and when he fought Briggs. The speed difference is astounding and his punches back then had so much more authority in them.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:45 am

Roman Gonzalez at Light Flyweight has some serious power from what I've seen. It's hard to rate Wlad's power as he usually outweighs opponents by some distance and most of who he fights are pretty rubbish. I think Donaire is right up there and Abraham still carries seriously heavy hands.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:53 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Would say Vitali USED to hit harder than Wlad but hes much slower and lost a lot of snap, look at how fast he is in comparison to when he fought Hide and when he fought Briggs. The speed difference is astounding and his punches back then had so much more authority in them.

Its what I have been saying for a long time (and getting insulted in the process). Nice to see someone coming to my way of thinking........eventually. Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:14 am

Vitali Klitschko
Marcos Maidana
Adrian Broner
Gamboa
Donaire

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:23 am

I'm a litle surprised that nobody has mentioned Pavlik; he has his flaws, plenty of them in fact, but I doubt there are many others between 160 lb and 175 lb who whack as hard as he does. Outside of that, I'd say that most of the obvious names have been mentioned.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_dior Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:26 am

Vitali Klitschko for me. Yes he never knocked out Briggs but he basically retired him and gave him some serious damage.

Being the hardest puncher is not always about knocking out your opponents, it's about stopping your opponents. Vitali's massive punches stoped Briggs in the sense that Briggs was so scared to fight as he was scared of getting a massive punch so he went into survival mode. The same can be said for most of Klitschkos opponents. They get hit so hard early on that they run into a shell and just try to avoid damage.

chris_dior

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

Martinez
Broner
Rios
Manny
Wlad (50 ko's doesn't lie)

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:14 am

until recently maidana would be on a lot of people's list.

it seems his power doesnt travel well with welterweight, so p4p he may be not be a deserving of the place.

Valero would be neat the top of the list - but for obvious reasons.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Wed 07 Mar 2012, 1:31 pm

I know he's fought nobodys, but the nature of Deontay Wilder's knockouts are something for me. It is hard to gauge how hard he hits, because I'm not sure who he's hitting - but still, they are a sight.

James Kirkland seems to hit bloody hard, but not sure how his power would travel via weights

Sonny Bill Williams also has a KO record that nobody can argue with

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:02 pm

Abraham would be the hardest puncher out there for me.

Some of those cruisers look like they carry a fairly big punch (Frenkel/Lebedev etc)

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:45 pm

chris_dior wrote:Vitali Klitschko for me. Yes he never knocked out Briggs but he basically retired him and gave him some serious damage.

Being the hardest puncher is not always about knocking out your opponents, it's about stopping your opponents. Vitali's massive punches stoped Briggs in the sense that Briggs was so scared to fight as he was scared of getting a massive punch so he went into survival mode. The same can be said for most of Klitschkos opponents. They get hit so hard early on that they run into a shell and just try to avoid damage.

Can't really agree with that, stopping an opponent shows good power but knocking an opponent out shows great power. Mayweather stopped Hatton but think the way Pacquiao knocked him out shows the difference in power between the two.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:52 pm

Pier Olivier Cote is a great shout. shame he'll probably only ever fight in Montreal

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:09 pm

Martinez for speed and force of the punch has to be up there. The KO of Williams was one of the greatest single shot kayos for a little while.

Donaire is also a decent option.

Whilst Wlad is a hugely powerful HW - he is a HW and thus disadvantaged in p4p stakes. He's hitting with 260lbs of muscle - so he's bound to do some damage.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Martinez
Broner
Rios
Manny

True, he clearly hits hard, but I read that on fight night Montiel outweighed Donaire by 8 pounds but Nonito knocked him out of this reality in 2 with one punch.

Wladimir outweighed Haye by 32lbs and failed to stop him. He outweighed Eddie Chambers by 35lbs and it took all 12 to finish him. In a P4P sense grinding down fellas far smaller than yourself doesn't compare to utterly obliterating guys your own size in my opinion. Sugar Ray Leonard has a higher KO% than Sgar Ray Robinson but I'm pretty sure Sugar MkI hit harder.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:10 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
Broner
Rios
Manny

True, he clearly hits hard, but I read that on fight night Montiel outweighed Donaire by 8 pounds but Nonito knocked him out of this reality in 2 with one punch.

Wladimir outweighed Haye by 32lbs and failed to stop him. He outweighed Eddie Chambers by 35lbs and it took all 12 to finish him. In a P4P sense grinding down fellas far smaller than yourself doesn't compare to utterly obliterating guys your own size in my opinion. Sugar Ray Leonard has a higher KO% than Sgar Ray Robinson but I'm pretty sure Sugar MkI hit harder.

True but bigger guys have a speed disadvantage where their full force cant be utilised to the effect smaller fighters can with less weight. Tua and morrisson both hit brutal left hooks harder than tyson or frazier but neither of the two were that succesful with it in comparison. Think ghosty referred to a documentary which suggested 220lbs is the prime weight for maximum power after which the deterioration of speed stopped the power from being explosive. If you measured it on a machine wlad might come ot by far the hardest hitter the world has ever seen but quicker smaller fighters will get more one shot ko's. Think Holyfield said as much about bowe/lewis and Tyson saying the formers hrt much more but the latters had much more snap to it.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:38 am

Good point, power's a hard thing to define.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:42 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:
Broner
Rios
Manny

True but bigger guys have a speed disadvantage where their full force cant be utilised to the effect smaller fighters can with less weight. Tua and morrisson both hit brutal left hooks harder than tyson or frazier but neither of the two were that succesful with it in comparison. Think ghosty referred to a documentary which suggested 220lbs is the prime weight for maximum power after which the deterioration of speed stopped the power from being explosive. If you measured it on a machine wlad might come ot by far the hardest hitter the world has ever seen but quicker smaller fighters will get more one shot ko's. Think Holyfield said as much about bowe/lewis and Tyson saying the formers hrt much more but the latters had much more snap to it.

Not quite sure that's correct, speed is a major part of what power is, Wlad may be stronger than the smaller fighters but his power doesn't equate to his added weight. Id wager that Tyson would have far superior power to Wlad if you measured it but that's just personal opinion.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:52 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:
Broner
Rios
Manny

Not quite sure that's correct, speed is a major part of what power is, Wlad may be stronger than the smaller fighters but his power doesn't equate to his added weight. Id wager that Tyson would have far superior power to Wlad if you measured it but that's just personal opinion.

Probably wouldn't argue with that too strenuosly . I think the difference between Wlad and lets say shavers is that shavers punch landed and transferred before the head could move to mitigate the damage - like somone riding a punch and getting their timing wrong and when wlad lands it hurts much worse but because its slower - the body absorbs it more.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 08 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

That's the weight transference and speed, with power I think people confuse it with being hurt which is dependent on different factors.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 12 Mar 2012, 1:40 pm

Don't think VK can be on the list as his power seems to have waned over the years plus the fact he tortures his opponents with a continuous one two barrage rather than unleashing vicious combinations.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 13 Mar 2012, 1:54 pm

Vitali at no point hit harder than Wlad. Using Herbie Hide as a valid reason is pointless as Hide had a chin weaker than China. The only guy who fought them both around their primes was Chris Byrd and he has said multiple times Wlad hit harder in interviews. It's obvious after dropping him four times.

Due to WK's dodgy chin he doesn't engage that much, which is more the reason quick fighters like Haye and Chamber's he struggled to stop. Of course he could stop Haye if he could stop the iron chin of Mercer.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down