The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Iron yardage

+15
Rava
mystiroakey
lorus59
JAS
George1507
hend085
super_realist
GPB
GG
Fader
oldparwin
McLaren
Doon the Water
Hibbz
Steffan
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

6 Iron yardage - Page 2 Empty 6 Iron yardage

Post by Steffan Mon 05 Mar 2012, 6:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know this is a bit of a speculative question as none of you know how good or bad I am but il ask anyway

If I learned to use this club really well how far do you reckon I could be hitting

How far can you hit it with a 6 Iron. Bare in mind im a pretty average player

Just thought id look for some advise

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

6 Iron yardage - Page 2 Empty Re: 6 Iron yardage

Post by incontinentia Wed 07 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

OP, McIlrory can hit his 6 iron 190 yards so if you became really, REALLY good you might get it out that far.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 07 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

Last 6 iron I hit was about 10 yards. Little chip and run, finished about 6 inches from the hole.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 07 Mar 2012, 3:03 pm

I can throw my 6-iron further in a fit of anger than I can hit the ball with it. Shows the state of my game both physically and mentally.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 07 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

Does anyone remember the Ryder Cup Match when Casey and Howler were the only points scorers for Europe in the foursomes.
At the 16th hole the match was close and David stiffed his tee shot. He won won 'Shot of the Year' with it .
I was talking to him a few months after and he said it was quite funny as he chunked it slightly and got lucky. I should have hit a firm six but took an easy five.
So there you are 'Shot of the Year' and the experts did not even spot it.

It brought back memories of when a young David was playing county golf with his clubmate Gary Harris.
Our Pro Barry Sandry always told the boys not to show any emotion when they hit a poor shot. If the England selectors are watching they may be 100 yards away and will not have a clue if it was well struck or not.

Good tip for the up and coming players.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 07 Mar 2012, 5:11 pm

McLaren wrote:Not disputing any yardages navy, just saying it is a good effort and you must strike it really well.
No worries Mac. I've always hit my irons pretty crisply; if I could only bolt on a consistent driver and slightly better short game I'd be laughing!

lorus59 wrote:I can throw my 6-iron further in a fit of anger than I can hit the ball with it. Shows the state of my game both physically and mentally.
laughing Shouldn't laugh really I know! Been there a few times over the recent years with my driving/driver.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 07 Mar 2012, 6:04 pm

170-175 carry with a 6 iron isnt that long- it would equate to a swing speed of about 89mph- that would still be long for the average amatuer, but only considering how many bad, junior or old amatuers there are out there. in terms of a pro or a longish single figure handicap it would be average.

i carry a 6 iron 180 plus however i play of 7 (alot lower as a junior mind)

my irons are plus1 strong with kbs stiff - this helps reduce spin a bit and stops me balloning shots!- this set up put about 5 yards average carry on my irons, however i use taylor made mp's which has brought my swing speed down- before when i used full on blades with rifle 6.0 -my average swing speed was 2 mph faster with a 6 iron and yes i hit then slightly longer- however i didnt hit them on avaerge further and didnt have as consitant yardarge!!

the reality is at present i am not even top 10 in terms of lowest handicap at my club- but there is only one longer hitter in my club, and he used to play on the euro pro tour. but hey i never get to play Sad.

its all about the scores not the length- consitant length is what will help you bring your handicap down, not outragious length.

basically anyone getting new clubs- get yourself fitted up- getting the right set up will only help you!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:27 pm

mystiroakey wrote:170-175 carry with a 6 iron isnt that long- it would equate to a swing speed of about 89mph- ...
Could you explain this to me? It doesn't take any account of spin and launch angle....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Fri 09 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

I would say it depends on the clubs you're using. The first two manufacturers I looked at had a 3.5 degree difference for a 6 iron.
Taylormade Rockectballz 6 iron, 26.5 degrees.
Ping i20 6 iron, 30 degrees.
The Ping i20 5 iron has more loft than the Rocketballz 6 iron. 27.0degrees.
Which brings me to the conclusion that the sales hype from Taylormade that their Rockectballz irons go further is a load of b*lls as their loft is a lot less than other manufactures.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 09 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

4putt wrote:I would say it depends on the clubs you're using. The first two manufacturers I looked at had a 3.5 degree difference for a 6 iron.
Taylormade Rockectballz 6 iron, 26.5 degrees.
Ping i20 6 iron, 30 degrees.
The Ping i20 5 iron has more loft than the Rocketballz 6 iron. 27.0degrees.
Which brings me to the conclusion that the sales hype from Taylormade that their Rockectballz irons go further is a load of b*lls as their loft is a lot less than other manufactures.

This is a very good point, as mentioned on another thread this week I've upgraded to a set of Cobra S2 forged and they have much stronger lofts. For example my PW in my new irons is 43degrees, that's a degree stronger than my 9iron in my Nikes had at 44 degrees. So club for club my new irons should be at least a club longer than my nikes so the 6 iron should in theory go from 165yards that it was in my Nikes to roughly 177yards with my new clubs! Factor in the shafts are slightly longer so a 6 iron has a 5 iron length shaft again could equate to getting near to 180ish with a 6 iron! So its not just technique but the clubs to.

Can see me getting to the practice ground a fair while before I tee off to measure my new yardages or this could get tricky!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 09 Mar 2012, 4:39 pm

hey Fader, 43 degree pw is very very strong! you sure its not 48 maybe?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 09 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

hend085 wrote:hey Fader, 43 degree pw is very very strong! you sure its not 48 maybe?

100% positive Hend, had to double check them myself but on Cobras site shows the lofts, also on mygolfspy.com and more over in the booklet that came with the irons. My gap wedge I got free with the set is 48degrees.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2