The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster v Cardiff Blues, Thomond Park

+15
profitius
rawa86
Artful_Dodger
Shifty
wales606
Standulstermen
Cardiff Dave
Pyleboy65
Smirnoffpriest
MMC
Mickado
ME-109
BlueMuff
doctornickolas
red_stag
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Munster v Cardiff Blues, Thomond Park Empty Munster v Cardiff Blues, Thomond Park

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Munster:
01 Marcus Horan
02 Damien Varley
03 BJ Botha
04 Billy Holland
05 Mick O'Driscoll (captain)
06 David O'Callaghan
07 Tommy O'Donnell
08 James Coughlan
09 Tomas O'Leary
10 Ian Keatley
11 Simon Zebo
12 Lifeimi Mafi
13 Danny Barnes
14 Johne Murphy
15 Felix Jones

16 Denis Fogarty
17 Wian du Preez
18 Stephen Archer
19 Dave Foley
20 Paddy Butler
21 Duncan Williams
22 Scott Deasy
23 Luke O’Dea

Cardiff Blues:
TBC

Not sure if Cardiff Blues have picked their team yet. Denis Hurley is on backup for Ireland so he misses out.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Munster v Cardiff Blues, Thomond Park Empty Re: Munster v Cardiff Blues, Thomond Park

Post by doctornickolas Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:47 pm

C Czekaj; R Mustoe, G Evans, G Henson, T James; D Parks, R Rees; J Yapp, R Tyrell, S Andrews, C Hill, P Tito (capt), M Paterson, M Molitika, M Williams. Reps: R Thomas, N Trevett, S Hobbs, M Cook, T Young, L Jones, C Sweeney, B Blair.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/cardiff-blues/2012/02/23/cardiff-blues-make-three-changes-for-munster-91466-30392305/#ixzz1nESWi3IK

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Munster v Cardiff Blues, Thomond Park Empty Re: Munster v Cardiff Blues, Thomond Park

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Thank you.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Stange looking pack be interesting to see how the back row gets on..

9 to 15 looks strong. Zebo surely to bag another couple of tries to bring it to 7 in 3 matches Very Happy

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Do you think its a strange pack?

We are missing quite a lot. From second row and backrow we can't play Paul O'Connell, Donnacha Ryan, Donncha O'Callaghan, Denis Leamy, Peter O'Mahony, David Wallace and Niall Ronan.

That literally just leaves the guys playing in this team and Ian Nagle. What else could we have done?

Front row is a logical enough pick - full choice and resting du Preez.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 pm

BlueMuff wrote:Stange looking pack be interesting to see how the back row gets on..

9 to 15 looks strong. Zebo surely to bag another couple of tries to bring it to 7 in 3 matches Very Happy

Looks like all the usual suspects, Tommy O'Donnell is another one to watch in the backrow and doc mark 2 had a very good game last week.

Have to say I was impressed with Scott ready last week when he came on...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:21 pm

Scott Deasy? Agree with you re: last week. I had high hopes once upon a time for him. . . . . .do we dare to dream again?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Yes Deasy...bloody spell checker..

I still think he is better than keatley

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:24 pm

I don't agree with that. But he certainly could be. There definitlely isn't much between them. Both are a long way of ROG though.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Have to say RoG has been superb this year. Must have won big on the horses

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 am

Delighted to see Jones back getting a start.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:02 am

"We are missing quite a lot. From second row and backrow we can't play Paul O'Connell, Donnacha Ryan, Donncha O'Callaghan, Denis Leamy, Peter O'Mahony, David Wallace and Niall Ronan."

Didnt mean strange as you would pick anybody else more its strange to see such a pack with Varley, Holland, O'Callaghan, O'Donnell, Horan all starting. Not sure how much game time this pack would have together. Not partiularly worried mind you.

Mick absolutely delighted to see Jones back, fingers crossed he can stay injury free for a long time cause he has had such a bad run.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 am

Yeah, he's had chronic bad luck. It's not even the same injury that has been keeping him out afaik.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:13 am

There will be a lot of internationals playing in this - Marcus Horan, Damien Varley, BJ Botha, Mick O'Driscoll, Tomas O'Leary, Ian Keatley, Felix Jones, Chris Czekaj, Gavin Evans, Gavin Henson, Tom James, Dan Parks, Richie Rees, John Yapp, Scott Andrews, Maama Molitika and Martyn Williams are all starting.

Thats a total of 17 international players out of the 30 starters. Not bad on a Six Nations weekend.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 am

Ya it's been neck, knee, foot. I'm seeing a trend there...thankfully there are no more body parts to injure lower than his foot. thumbsup

I'd love to see him get a long long injury free run now.

Mike Sherry seems to have become Munster's latest sicknote. Having gotten over a longterm ankle injury he picked up in a club game he only went and injured his thumb during the week.

As for the game, I think it'll be a tough night for both sides. I'm amazed at the strength in depth of the Blues. That's a decent looking side they've named, despite having lots of guys out for one reason or another.

I reckon if Munster can get the upperhand in the tight 5 then they should win it but I reckon it could go right down to the wire.

Can't wait. Smile
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:23 am

Am quite surprised and honestly baffled that the Blues are starting with Czekaj and not Blair at FB. In his two games back so far, Blair's shown completely how much the Blues have missed him.

Be ineresting to see how Parks goes as well. He did okay against Munster, a bit dodgy with the boot but put in some sublime passes (it feels wrong typing that about him) so hope he gets a bit more confidence now going into this match.

Blues pack will need to up their game from last week too, plus they're missing Rush, could be a tough ask for them. Can't really see anything but a Munster win here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:17 am

Am not confident for the blues - it's a pretty poor backline bar Henson, but Blair has outshone everyone in his last two games so like dreamer I can't believe he's not playing.

Is Lualua not playing because of him moving to Munster next season?

Rush will be a big miss as I haven't been at all impressed with Maama this season.

Still we can hope for a good day, a red day, a Welsh day!!!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyleboy65 Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Looking forward to seing Cory Hill play again for The Blues in the Second Row. Only 20 years old and had a decent game last week against Ulster. He should be playing for the u20's tonight against England but The Blues wouldn't release him. One for the future I think !!

Pyleboy65

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Is Lualua not playing because of him moving to Munster next season?

Laulala has a hamstring injury. It's too bad really because the last guy who recently signed for, then subsequently played against us, gave us an intercept try as a present. Wink
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:59 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Am quite surprised and honestly baffled that the Blues are starting with Czekaj and not Blair at FB. In his two games back so far, Blair's shown completely how much the Blues have missed him.

Be ineresting to see how Parks goes as well. He did okay against Munster, a bit dodgy with the boot but put in some sublime passes (it feels wrong typing that about him) so hope he gets a bit more confidence now going into this match.

Blues pack will need to up their game from last week too, plus they're missing Rush, could be a tough ask for them. Can't really see anything but a Munster win here.

Cardiff Blues, squad rotation. Because we can. Whistle

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:00 pm

laughing

just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:11 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:laughing

just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Only 3 changes in the XV from the Ulster game, so we haven't rotated that much.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Why shouldn't you rotate. You keep competition for places high, you reduce risk of player burnout and you ensure the next generation get the necessary gametime.

I would say the teams who seem to rotate most are getting most out of the Celtic League.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:16 pm

I was thinking more in terms of "rotating" Czekaj in for Blair. Not really needed in this instance and I think tis a big mistake by the Blues, and no chance of burn out for Blair as he's only played 2 games all season.

Otherwise, being non joking, I think rotation is very good, Scarlets have utilised it well this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:21 pm

I see howlett has re-signed for next season and you guys will be losing Anthony foley to Ireland for the 6N. Talk on planet rugby that smal has an eye condition that means he has to withdraw from the coaching panel for the tournament.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I was thinking more in terms of "rotating" Czekaj in for Blair. Not really needed in this instance and I think tis a big mistake by the Blues, and no chance of burn out for Blair as he's only played 2 games all season.

Otherwise, being non joking, I think rotation is very good, Scarlets have utilised it well this season.

Apart from Ben Blair, I think the changes have little to do with squad rotation through choice as that is all we have to spare. Also, you could argue that some of those on the bench are not yet ready to make the step up.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Blair and TRT on the bench when they are clearly our best 2 and 15.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Blues doing their utter most to NOT score a try. They've had the ball in loads of space in the last 5mins but just seem so ponderous! I am baffled.

Munster have raced away to a deserved lead so far though.

16 - 3 to Munster, 29 mins gone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Blues doing their utter most to NOT score a try. They've had the ball in loads of space in the last 5mins but just seem so ponderous! I am baffled.

Munster have raced away to a deserved lead so far though.

16 - 3 to Munster, 29 mins gone.

It's away from home though to an Irish team that ends with "ster", which normally translates to conceeding 50 points.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 pm

harsh! (if a bit true....)

it was 16-3 at HT as well btw. 2nd half to get underway shortly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Lookout. A decent move by Cardiff Blues...almost.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Great break by Henson, Blues stay patient, quick ball and pass the ball out and Mustoe scores, lovely try.

16 - 10 , 48mins gone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Magic from Henson. Great kick from Parksy. Game on.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:29 pm

Ben Blair and Sweeney on.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 pm

16 - 13 now, 62 mins gone. Can the Blues get a shock win here?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:35 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:16 - 13 now, 62 mins gone. Can the Blues get a shock win here?

It would shock me.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:38 pm

That's knackered that. Tito yellowed.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Munster butcher a gimme from a scrum. Tom James to blindside.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Gavin Evans is now blindside and a penalty to Cardiff Blues.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:49 pm

14th phase for Blues, but not going anywhere. 79mins on the clock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Final score?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 pm

16 -13, Artful, Munster worked a turnover right at the very end. Good win for them, Blues really pressurised them in the 2nd half.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Munster 16-13 Cardiff Blues
A bonus point against Munster at Thomond Park is worth more than a bonus point any day of the week if you get my drift, but it was a disappointing game overall I would say.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Cardiff were strangely uncompetitive in the first half, must have got a bollicking at half time. Munster forwards couldn't secure any possession in the second half. Not much else to say..lots of huffing and puffing

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 pm

DOD wrote:Cardiff were strangely uncompetitive in the first half, must have got a bollicking at half time. Munster forwards couldn't secure any possession in the second half. Not much else to say..lots of huffing and puffing

A typically very Rabo-ish game which is why I much prefer watching the Aviva and the Top 14 most of the time as points really mean something in those competitions.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Ah yes the Englishman in disguise. You keep watching the overhyped premiership all you want.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
As points really mean something in those competitions.

What a ridiculous statement! Just because this wasn't the best game doesn't mean the teams weren't out to get the points. This result will go a long way for Munster securing a top 4 position. If Cardiff had won, which they could have, I really doubt you would be making that statement

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:54 pm

He is English , living in Cardiff apparently. Nothing good to say about the Pro12

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:54 pm

DOD wrote:Ah yes the Englishman in disguise. You keep watching the overhyped premiership all you want.

Thank you. I take that as a compliment for being Welsh, but being a Cardiff boy, i'm only half Welsh to some.
I say what I see DOD and refuse to defend a league just because the Welsh play in it.
The fact is i've watched better games in the Aviva and Top14 than the Rabo this season.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:58 pm

rawa86 wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
As points really mean something in those competitions.

What a ridiculous statement! Just because this wasn't the best game doesn't mean the teams weren't out to get the points. This result will go a long way for Munster securing a top 4 position. If Cardiff had won, which they could have, I really doubt you would be making that statement

FFS it's the celtic league. Cardiff have never targeted this competition. If they had they would have won it by now.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next