The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite player past and present.

+35
kingjohn7
RuggerRadge2611
kiakahaaotearoa
tatterd
SecretFly
BlueNote
RubyGuby
BigTrevsbigmac
damage_13
mr_stonelea
Geordie
doctor_grey
Cowshot
George Carlin
rodders
bluestonevedder
mckay1402
Taylorman
LordDowlais
eirebilly
Biltong
majesticimperialman
nganboy
MonkeyOwain12
bsando
slartibartfast
Notch
CurlyOsp
aucklandlaurie
ChequeredJersey
TycroesOsprey
Glas a du
miteyironpaw
MacKnocked-on
Yoda
39 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favourite player past and present. Empty Favourite player past and present.

Post by Yoda Mon 20 Feb 2012, 21:41

Here's mine

Phillip Sella = legend, attack defense and a bit of elan thrown in.

Israel Dagg = exciting, skillful and very dangerous with ball in hand. (changes quite often mind you)

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Favourite player past and present. Empty Re: Favourite player past and present.

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 21:50

Mils Muliaina.
From a Scotland point of view I always enjoyed watching Glen Metcalfe play, great attacking runner, Hogg looks like he may be made of the same stuff.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 20 Feb 2012, 21:59

Mark Ella - still a benchmark, even in the modern game professional players struggle to have the time and awareness to implement the flat attack. His name for me conjures up a golden era of heroic sporting superstars from my young days.

Piri Weepu - Came back from horrific double leg compound fracture and carried the All Blacks through the world cup to victory when all around him were losing their nerve and their sense of perspective, and did it all with a smile on his face and a tangible aura of modesty and a sense of humour. Took the game seriously but could still laugh at himself. That is class in my book.

miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 20 Feb 2012, 22:03

Jonathan Davies

Shane Williams

Skill, pace and the ability to beat defenders againt seemingly impossible odds. The best players in the World at their peaks, something no other Welshman could claim since the 70's and equally true for Rugby League in Davies' case.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Mon 20 Feb 2012, 22:04

Mils was one of my favorites too however Sella in eyes was the bench mark for centre play and got so many caps for a french back, that says everything.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 20 Feb 2012, 22:05

Sella was great. He never even seemed that interested in rugby, he was just so very good at it.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Mon 20 Feb 2012, 22:09

David Bishop was the best all round rugby player I ever saw, shame he was completly mental.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Mon 20 Feb 2012, 22:10

Again keen on Shane as always loved him beating players with a step and have a huge soft spot for the smaller guy. My highlight was him defending big, bad Banahan over the try line made me laugh out loud how crap a finish it was and how little shane was holding on dear life, classic!

Never like seeing big guys just trying to muscle through people and not having any skill, symptomatic of English rugby especially at age grade level.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 20 Feb 2012, 22:14

Guys does this interesting and different thread have to degenerate into yet another boring England v Wales have-a-pop-at-each-other argument? Yoda, I know you started it, but c'mon. Was it really just to go there?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 20 Feb 2012, 22:18

I'm a young one, so im going to try and stick with players ive actually watched as they played not just in retrospect, as all of the greats pre 2000 or so i have only seen in bits or in replays. Not just as a player but as an icon of English stoicism, Josh Lewsey. The try saving tackle on De Villiers, the solidity at fullback in a winning England team, the try against the odds against France in France to take us to the 2007 RWC final. The spine he showed playing for England or for the enemy at Wasps. He was a player and, IMO, a good role model too. I also had the pleasure of serving him cocktails at a party.

Currently, I have a lot of respect for a lot of players like McCaw, BOD etc but my favourite player at the moment is a toss up between three- Nick Evans for the way he has put aside his international aspirations (even if it is more money) to become the nucleus of a young and improving and pretty good Quins set up despite IMO being one of the world's top 10s and able to play in France for a bigger salary or NZ for some more AB caps.

Second would be Dusautoir who epitomises everything a flanker should be and is a good leader and man in a team that really annoy me.

Finally we have Foden who gives me hope that England can still produce classy backs and top class players and that sometime soon we will click and suddenly those teams who mock us for being boring will be rum down by the torrent of tries we score. I'm hoping some English loose forwards can inspire me too, but ATM not so much
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 20 Feb 2012, 22:20

Past:
Michael"iceman" Jones,the most innovative and athletically talented plyer to ever play the game.

Present:
Bismark du plessis,love watching this guy play anyone but a New Zealand team..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Mon 20 Feb 2012, 23:19

Distant Past:

David Campese - Kept you guessing all the time, phenominally talented and had a beautiful running style.

Recent Past:

Shane Williams. There are always grounds for argument that there were better players and there may technically be better players in the future. But I honestly believe thats, there has never been and may never will be, a player that's as magical as Shane. There was a point when the whole rugby world would hold their breath every time he touched the ball with hope that he'd do something spectacular.. and he delivered more times than most.
Really made the game enjoyable to watch and did it with a smile on his face.

Present: (may change daily)

Danny Lydiate - Unsung hero and absolutely pivitol to Wales's success. Does more work than anyone on the pitch and never seen him make a fuss. Can't be easy when Warburton and Faletau are getting most of the praise in a very much 3 legged stool!

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 20 Feb 2012, 23:21

Agustin Pichot- Everything a scrum-half should be.

Rory Best- Mr. Workrate...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Feb 2012, 23:29

Gareth Edwards. Not a very original choice, but as a Cardiff and Wales supporter I watched him scores of times from when he was 18 until his retirement in 1978. He had everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Mon 20 Feb 2012, 23:43

Past: Nigel meek 10-9... Only joking, iauan Evans , was a star in a poor welsh side for many year... Or perhaps Howley hmmmm

Present: mccaw. Just a complete pain in the 4r5e and showed the rugby world what a seven should be when other teams were going for size!
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 21 Feb 2012, 00:11

Past: Phil Waugh - My idol as a kid and made me want to be a flanker.

Present: David Pocock, needs no introduction, arguably the best 7 in the world.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 00:16

As much as I loved Scott Gibbs in his Swansea days (could probably include Robert Jones in that too) I loved watching Christian Cullen, my all time favourite.

Presently, BOD is a standout with honourable mentions to Conrad Smith and Jonathan Davies.

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 21 Feb 2012, 03:23

Christian Cullen for his sublime running was amazing but my favourite player of all time is probably Goldie - just such a complete player who turned down the big money and retired while a first choice winger.

Currently probably McCaw for his ability to adapt his game and take his punishment like a man.

nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 21 Feb 2012, 05:50

The 2 past greats of rugby in my mind was,. Serge Blanco FRANCE FULL BACK.

And Yoostvanderwehussan SOUTH AFRICA SCRUM HALF both players had great talent and great vision for the game.

Present I like Bod, but i slao like McCaw.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 21 Feb 2012, 05:51

Past - OS du Randt, he was a decent scrummager, he didn't speak often , but when he did he teammates listened, he was surprisingly quick off the mark and was one of the best front row tacklers in the game, he tackled Matt Burke so hard, Burke took 6 months to recover. Most back line players expected they could sidestep him and get past, many learn't it is possible.

Bismarck du Plessis. Strong, hard, can drive with ball in hand, can tackle like a demon, decent line out thrower, good scrummager, and all round demon on the field.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 21 Feb 2012, 06:52

In the past, for me its John Eales. That man had everything. Second to Eales was Joost v/d Westhuizen, imho the best scrum half to ever play the game.

Now, well i am still a big POC fan
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 21 Feb 2012, 07:46

Glas a du wrote:Jonathan Davies

Shane Williams

Skill, pace and the ability to beat defenders againt seemingly impossible odds. The best players in the World at their peaks, something no other Welshman could claim since the 70's and equally true for Rugby League in Davies' case.

Glas, have you been looking at my profile ? Hug It's a shame now though that Shane Williams is in the "past" so as for players playing today I would go for Medard or any of the Australian backs, sadly not many players use the old sidestep and drop of the shoulder anymore. Also if you are a big fan of Jiffy, watch the classic game against England from 1988 which is on Thursday night, and watch his acceleration of the mark.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 21 Feb 2012, 08:17

For me M Jones will always be the standout.

Currently Id go for JOC and Ioane in a tie. Havnt seen as much talent, competitiveness and all round ability in a player so young for years.

Ioane was the best wing of 2011 and one on one is untouchable (unless kaino gets to him!). Pacey and uses it at every chance

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 08:38

I always loved watching Scott Quinnell. I reckon he's one of the few Welsh players from that era who would slot right into our team now.

My favourite player now is JD2. I don't think we've seen the best of him for Wales yet and he just now seems to be getting back to the form he was in for Scarlets at the beginning of last season.

mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 21 Feb 2012, 09:22

I loved watching Jason Robinson. Whenever he had the ball, there was this overwhelming sense of 'he's going to make some magic', and invariably, he did.

My favourite present day player has to be David Pocock. He's encompasses the new-age sportsman. Tenacious on the field but reserved off of it, I love the way he lets his game do the talking.

Last edited by bluestonevedder on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 09:51; edited 2 times in total

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 21 Feb 2012, 09:35

Past: Christian Cullen. The best and most exciting attacking player I've ever seen. Unstoppable in his pomp.

Honorable mentions to Jason Robinson, Simon Goeghegan and Scott Gibbs.

Present: Brian O'Driscoll. Genius. Best player I've seen in my lifetime along with McCaw and Carter. Electric pace in attack at his peak and still reads the game better than nearly anyone else. Deceptively strong and phenomenally committed in attack and defence, he's been the focal point and talisman in Irish rugby for over 12 seasons.

Honorable mentions to Paul O'Connell and Stephen Ferris.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:02

A. PAST

1. For Scotland:
Andy Irvine - one of the best strike runners ever, a Rolls Royce in the open field.

Gordon Brown - from my home town, a monster and a gentleman at the same time.

2. Internationally:
Christian Cullen - one of the very few players who could genuinely be described as "unplayable"

David Ian Campese - no idea what the salty old dog was ever going to do next.

B. PRESENT

1. For Scotland:
Mark Bennett - watched him play for Ayr and the slow realisation of how special he was going to be was wonderful.

2. Internationally:
Dan Carter - how can he look like he has so much time on the ball? Once in a generation.

Brian O'Driscoll - no weaknesses, made of kevlar and a nice Blackrock lad too.

Shane Williams - oh all right, I admit it. The Squashed Goblin has got some game. Thanks for the memories.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:07

Well, I've got to go for two Tigers:

Past: Dean Richards. Never seemed to move at more than a slow amble - particularly heavy socks were the reason - but was always in the right place at the right time.

Present: Geordan Murphy. Always felt he was hard done by in International terms, but has dazzled for Tigers. On Sunday I'm sure Geordan called that last minute drop goal to himself as captain's responsibility, especially after his team talk on Wednesday.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:16

A lot of people are naming Shane Williams as their favourite "present" player. Since he's now officially retired, is he not a "past" player now?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:20

Good call with Mark Ella mitey, he was some player back in the day. His brother Glenn wasnt too bad either. There was a third brother was there not?

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:56

There are way too many players I have enjoyed watching.
The list would run on forever.

But here are a few:
Scott Gibbs - raw power with great running skills
Gus Pinchot - the heart and soul of that great Argentine team for whom making the 2007 final was just a bridge too far.
Stirling Mortlock - again raw power with great ball handling skills, terrific leader

Oh wait. I....must.....include.........an......Englishman
J.....
j....
Jamie Noon!!!!!!!1

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:10

Oh dear....i dont know...so many.

Falcons: Inga, Gary Armstrong, Pat Lam....

Elsewhere...Caucau for a brief time was simply magic. Lomu was class.

But i just cant decide on favorite ever.

Jason Robinson v Cristian Cullen.....cant choose.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Tue 21 Feb 2012, 11:43

Past - David Duckham, known as Dai Duckham in the 70s because the Welsh thought him good enough to be Welsh

present - Richie Gray - I think he'll be a magnificent Lion next year

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 12:11

Diego Dominguez, Gus P, Josh Lewsey, Jason Robinson, Maggie the Machine Very Happy

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 21 Feb 2012, 12:41

Yoda wrote:Again keen on Shane as always loved him beating players with a step and have a huge soft spot for the smaller guy. My highlight was him defending big, bad Banahan over the try line made me laugh out loud how crap a finish it was and how little shane was holding on dear life, classic!

Never like seeing big guys just trying to muscle through people and not having any skill, symptomatic of English rugby especially at age grade level.

I would like to think you can appreciate IRB young player of the year George Ford then?

Or is he too ..... Well English?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 21 Feb 2012, 12:52

Phillip Matthews - Ireland - Just a great bloke and a "proper" back row forward with no ego thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:04

Was it Phil Matthews who scored "THAT" try v Australia in the 91 WC?

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:47; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:11

For Wales:

past: I was a big fan of Ieuan Evans, a shining light in dark days for Wales.

present: probably Leigh Halfpenny

Shane comes somewhere in between!

Internationally:

Past: Richard Hill - great player, terrific attitude to the game
Present: Maxime Medard

I'd be tempted to say BOD on a purely playing basis, but I struggle to warm to him.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:18

GeordieFalcon wrote:Was it Phil Matthews who scored "THAT" try v Australia in the 90 WC?

Dunno Geordie maybe one of the Irish boys can enlighten us - great fella though and top commentator IMO thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:21

Past: Campese. Aussie cockiness yes, but the game to match. The first amuses me (take him too serious and you miss the fun); the second took my breath away as a young man.

Present: and hoping he remains the 'present' for a year or two more - Brian O'Driscoll. A virtual one man rugby side at times in the past. Being a legend isn't greatness alone, it's a combination of time and greatness. Few get to be a legend whilst still playing. He's one of that elite.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:32

Wasn't Os du Rant knocked flat on his a**e by Scott Gibbs Biltong? Whistle

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:33

Yep! And then told "get up you fat b*****d" as Gibbsy walked back past him...

Got to love Gibbsy

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:38

When I was growing up Gavin Hastings, Serge Blanco were my heroes and as as a Canterbury lad I liked Robbie Deans. Later on Christian Cullen was my favourite player to watch. So you might think I was a fullback. But I knew I never could live up to their standards and went for flyhalf. I hope I tackled better than Fox and Merths who were my local heroes but I admired Larkham for his passing and running game and admired the determination and perseverance of Johhny.

My current home faves are Kaino and the Canterbury gods of Carter and McCaw but I like Dusatoir for his ability to turn a game, Cooper for seeing what he´ll do next, and Burger because he is a man mountain.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:47

RubyGuby wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Was it Phil Matthews who scored "THAT" try v Australia in the 91 WC?

Dunno Geordie maybe one of the Irish boys can enlighten us - great fella though and top commentator IMO thumbsup

Ah just checked...it was Gordon Hamilton...not Phil M. Great try...sent landsowne road crazy!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:57

tatterd wrote:Wasn't Os du Rant knocked flat on his a**e by Scott Gibbs Biltong? Whistle

Well when you play 6400 minutes of international rugby it is inevitable some lucky bugger is going to catch you off guard. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 14:04

I like my front row forwards since I have played Tight, Loosie and Hooker in my rugby playing days.

Past :
Keith Wood, an inspiration to me. Passion, Pride, Guts and a fantastic work ethic.

Present :
Euan Murray, I'm not religious at all but I respect him for sticking to his guns and not playing on Sundays. It's a testament (no pun intended) to his abilites as a Tighthead that his slot is immediatly vacated when a match is not on a Sunday so he can play.

His greatest moment for me was in the final game against Ireland in the 2010 6N where before packing down for a critical scrum in the 70th minute he threw his Scrum Cap off and glared straight into the eyes of Cian Healy and proceeded to maul the young Irishman in the Critical Scrum winning a free kick against the head. clap
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 21 Feb 2012, 14:38

Past- Thomas Castaignede. Sort of player to always put a smile on your face, esp as he missed that penalty in the last minute to win the game against us in 99 i think it was.

Present-Dan Carter. Best rugby player I have seen, cant think how a fly half could ever come around who would be better.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 21 Feb 2012, 15:13

Fave Past Welsh Player JPR

Fave Past other Blanco

Fave Current Welsh player Lydiate

Fave Current other Parrisse

I guess its a sign of age, as a youngsters I was a wing come XV then slowly made my way forward to the back row

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 21 Feb 2012, 15:19

Forgot Castaignede. Add Billy Whizz in as well, I seem to favour fullbacks
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 21 Feb 2012, 15:25

Past: Jason Robinson, little fella had it all.

Present: Controversial for an Englishman but here goes, Leigh Halfpenny. Don't know what it is but he just seems to epitomize Welsh rugby at the moment. Excellent player.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next