The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

+68
SB
funnyExiledScot
damngoodOvalball
SecretFly
R!skysports
tigertattie
RubyGuby
bsando
thomh
slartibartfast
rumpelstiltskindoh
GLove39
Taffineastbourne
donkeyprop
Ozzy3213
senghenydd1913
alive555
majesticimperialman
George Carlin
flynnnio
HERSH
MacKnocked-on
mckay1402
justified sinner
Cari
Triangulation
KickAndChase
TJ1
TycroesOsprey
flankertye
flyhalffactory
Scot Abroad
miteyironpaw
wales606
Shifty
gnollbeast
Adam D
PenfroPete
Tattie Scones RRN
Submachine
Cymroglan
nickj
Mr Bounce
offload
maestegmafia
sensisball
Gibson
munkian
Hollbeck Ghyll
NeilyBroon
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
MunsterMac
Chjw131
BigTrevsbigmac
ChequeredJersey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
red_stag
mickyt
bluestonevedder
eirebilly
Knowsit17
21st Century Schizoid Man
Morgannwg
geoff998rugby
Effervescing Elephant
IanBru
Rugby_Girl
72 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. - Page 2 Empty Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

Post by Rugby_Girl Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.scotlandrugbyteam.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2846&Itemid=9

Dan Parks has announced his retirement from International rugby with immediate effect

Edit in to OP (by Adam D)

The Scotland fly-half Dan Parks has retired from international rugby with immediate effect, the Scottish Rugby Union have announced.

The 33-year-old made his 67th Six Nations loss to England and was culpable for the decisive try as Charlie Hodgson charged down his kick.

The Cardiff Blues playmaker, who made his debut in 2004, has now made way for the next generation, with the Edinburgh captain Greig Laidlaw expected to start for Scotland in Sunday's Six Nations fixture against Wales in Cardiff and the uncapped Glasgow Warriors fly-half Duncan Weir set for a place on the replacements' bench.

Parks had been contemplating retiring after the World Cup, when he was second choice behind Ruaridh Jackson, but the lure of the opening Six Nations clash with England was too strong. However, now he has now called time on his Test career, insisting the time is right.

He said: "I was thinking about it but the first game of the Six Nations was against England, the auld enemy, Jacko was injured and being able to play against England was huge for me as there was a sense of unfinished business.

"On reflection after the game, after talking it over with my family, girlfriend and close friends, I've come to the decision that now is the right time to retire from the international game.

"There are some really talented guys coming through – Jacko, Greig and Duncan – and although I'm sad to be finishing my international career I have some fantastic memories of playing for Scotland and what that has meant to me.

"I've no regrets at what has been an amazing career for me. I've got my favourite moments for Scotland – uppermost being the 2007 World Cup.

"Other memorable moments have been the two wins against England at home [in 2006 and 2008], the win against South Africa here at Murrayfield [in November 2010], the two wins in Argentina in 2010 and one in 2008 and the Ireland game in 2010 which was a great occasion."

The Scotland head coach, Andy Robinson, did not select Parks in his first squad as head coach in 2009, but the Australia-born playmaker proved his credentials and has steered Scotland to a number of successes since returning.

However, he fell down the pecking order as Robinson fostered a more expansive game plan and now his Test career is over following 266 points, including a Scottish record 17 drop-goals.

Parks is the third long-serving Scot to retire following the World Cup, after Nathan Hines and Chris Paterson.

Robinson said: "I have really enjoyed working with Dan. He wasn't in my first Scotland squads, but through his own determination, hard work, skill and competitive spirit he forced his way back into selection.

"It's never an easy decision to make, but I feel Dan has made the right decision and thank him for his contribution over the years."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/07/scotland-dan-parks-retires-international-rugby

Rugby_Girl

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

Post by PenfroPete Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:15 pm

Just in case people think it's WUM - link to BBC Story LINK
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:15 pm

UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME!

I think you have all been incredibly unfair to him.

He has been a good player and has never intentionally had a bad game. He obviously felt he could still deliver on the big stage this last weekend.

But after all the abuse, he' decided to give it up.

Who wouldnt play for their country if selected? It's not his fault!

Well done Dan on a very good career. Shame Andy turned you into a victim.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:16 pm

Adam D wrote:UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME!

He has been a good player and has never intentionally had a bad game. He obviously felt he could still deliver on the big stage this last weekend.

To be fair, as opposed to us all being unfair to him, there have been several posts agreeing with you
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:18 pm

Okay , not all but the majority!

Shame on you naysayers!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:20 pm

Hobo, yes, it was indicated above that there's a suspicion of Robinson hanging him out to dry here Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollbeck Ghyll Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:21 pm

Given the potential anti-Parks venom that could have been unleashed by this, I think Scotland fans are being pretty fair.

Hollbeck Ghyll

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:22 pm

I honestly wish the guy well, apparently he wasn't going to go for the 6N but when Ruaridh pulled out with a injury, he saw his chance for one last pop. Fairplay to the lad, he thought he could find the same form as 2010. We've all had our jokes about Parks but at the end of the day, good or bad, he always tried his best for Scotland. Hopefully people will focus on the positives of his career now, better to leave now than carry on and destroy his reputation further.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by gnollbeast Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:23 pm

Is this an April fool? IN FEBRUARY!

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:24 pm

Agreed in principle Adam, as I've said I feel sympathy towards him as everything indicates he caved under pressure of criticism, not the way for anyone to go out.

Of course he never intentionally played badly for Scotland, he always tried what he thought was best or else always did what he could do best. I have no doubt he always gave it everything he had.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:25 pm

Adam D wrote:Okay , not all but the majority!

Shame on you naysayers!

Are we not allowed to be critical of players now incase you need them for a Q & A to promote the new site ? Erm
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:25 pm

Bloody hell couldnt he of left it another week till after the Wales game? Cry
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:26 pm

And the Blues had just started to score tries...

Run
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:28 pm

"The time is right" ?

Surely he missed the right time by just over a week.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:29 pm

munkian wrote:

Shame on you naysayers!

Are we not allowed to be critical of players now incase you need them for a Q & A to promote the new site ? Erm

There's criticising his play and then there's insulting his person. Not accusing you of doing it but it has happened
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:29 pm

munkian wrote:

Shame on you naysayers!

Spot on Laugh

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:31 pm

And yet the kicks just keep coming, the kicks while down Rolling Eyes

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:32 pm

I'm in two minds about how this went. On one hand I think that he was told that he won’t be featuring in another 6N game barring injuries and decided to retire, but on the other I think it was always in his mind to retire after the England game and he had a talk with Robbo about starting as a last hurrah. Either way Robbo’s decision to start him and the consequent outcome means that he ends his international career as the villain. Robbo appears to have made him the scapegoat. Either way it’s forcing his hand and we’ll see Laidlaw starting at 10 with Weir on the bench on Sunday.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

offload wrote:Very strange timing and I'm sorry but also bad form. He should have showed committment to his team mates and the tournament even if dropped.

Quotes like this beggar belief..... offload you poor soul............ however you have an excuse you aren't one of us, the others on here have no such cause

To actually stand down in middle of a tournament must have been so hard to do............ he has shown good grace and only said good things about the scottish setup, he has released AR from process of selection

ps breaking news....... he didnt single-handed............ lose us the match last weekend

So....... guys lets see who we can select to crucify next week if it all goes jubblies up
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:34 pm

What a little bitch. Taking up a squad place for one game. Pfft

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:38 pm

I'm very happy, now Scotland can move on. I feel sorry for him and on Sunday many people went way over the top including myself. I expect that this was going to be the last tournament for him but he was dropped and to a certain extent forced out.

Time for the big question: Did he fall or was he pushed?

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:41 pm

Makes you wonder how harmonious the scottish camp is just now? boxing

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:50 pm

Perhaps its time to consider the immortal words of Alan Rough ( a poor scottish goalkeeper from years ago) When asked why he was so crap he replied. " its not my fault I am the best in Scotland"

Given some weeks we will be able to reflect on Parks career - right now its just relief we feel.

He has done the honourable thing IMO.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:51 pm

I'm still not convinced Scotland will fare very well on Sunday.

I too want to buy Parks a drink now - poor guy. Robinson I'm not so sure.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:51 pm

Shame on you all.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:51 pm

We are all hunky dory Tycroes...... don't worry your pretty little head about us

AND WE ARE COMING AFTER YOU

SCOTLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND Braveheart
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:52 pm

Fortunately I think for most of us we'll go straight to stage 5 in this loss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:53 pm

Well I'm shocked that he's gone now. I suspected he might go after the Six Nations, but this is a bit sudden. He must've felt really bad after the weekend. I hope that he can continue to enjoy club rugby anyway. I feel a bit sorry for him.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:54 pm

Glad to see him go, his time was up after the WC. One fight too many on Saturday like a lot of boxers.

Still did some good stuff for Scotland; best of luck to him in the rest of his life.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:55 pm

I feel sorry for the chap. He's always done his best and it's hardly his fault that Scotland have had no credible outside halves for 10 years (give or take). In a way I'm glad he's retired but also it's a shame he's effectively been hounded out
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:02 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:We are all hunky dory Tycroes...... don't worry your pretty little head about us

AND WE ARE COMING AFTER YOU

SCOTLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND Braveheart

Jolly good Im hoping Denton can give Georgie a game,

I wont mention William Wallace being Ayrshire welsh Whistle

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:09 pm

I think Parks was treated pretty poorly by the media and especially by a lot of (supposed) fans over the years, it was almost fashionable to decry him. Remember Scotland have had some less than impressive players over the years who escaped the amount of abuse Parks has received. Even those remembered as great attacking players such as Townsend had a lot of iffy moments.
I wish him all the best.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:19 pm

I feel for the guy, such a talented player. (on a good day)

He didn't deserve to take all the blame, I'd imagine Robinson gave him an ear full after the game. Maybe Robinson should fall on his sword too seeing as he picked him.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by flynnnio Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:20 pm

kinda highlights the amount of pressure out halves are under. one minute a hero next min everyone wants ur balls on a plate. not a great move mid championship and don't reflect greatly on robinson either i suspect. surely this could have been handles better?

good luck mr Parks in retirement.

flynnnio

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:21 pm

HERSH wrote:I feel for the guy, such a talented player. (on a good day)

He didn't deserve to take all the blame, I'd imagine Robinson gave him an ear full after the game. Maybe Robinson should fall on his sword too seeing as he picked him.

Would love to see Toonie & Robinson stand down this week as well and some interim coach come in and just pick the players on form to see what happens. We're set for 0 pts at the moment having to face Italy away so we might as well go down fighting.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:22 pm

Remembering the good times, Dan, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaU5DUmE1qI
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:24 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:I think Parks was treated pretty poorly by the media and especially by a lot of (supposed) fans over the years, it was almost fashionable to decry him. Remember Scotland have had some less than impressive players over the years who escaped the amount of abuse Parks has received. Even those remembered as great attacking players such as Townsend had a lot of iffy moments.
I wish him all the best.

Rubbish.

The guy was utterly useless. A wasted ten years of dragging Scotland and whichever club he played for down.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:25 pm

Yet another insightful comment from Maesteg!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:43 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
offload wrote:Very strange timing and I'm sorry but also bad form. He should have showed committment to his team mates and the tournament even if dropped.

I disagree. If he has decided that he is being picked but thinks that his selection is bad for Scotland then the noblest thing to do would be to make himself unavailable for selection. This may not be what happened, but I don't think we should make any assumptions about his reasons for retiring unless new information comes forward. If we do then we make a negative assumption about his character based on rugby reasons and that is unfair and inappropriate and beneath us

This Board is all about assumption! Look, all I'm saying is that the timing is very strange. It's one thing to make yourself unavailable for selection it's another to make a public declaration of retirement in the middle of a tournament. His intention might be honourable but is it really best for Scotland to absorb all the attention? He might have been better advised to support his team and coach through the next 4 matches and then retire.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:45 pm

offload wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

I disagree. If he has decided that he is being picked but thinks that his selection is bad for Scotland then the noblest thing to do would be to make himself unavailable for selection. This may not be what happened, but I don't think we should make any assumptions about his reasons for retiring unless new information comes forward. If we do then we make a negative assumption about his character based on rugby reasons and that is unfair and inappropriate and beneath us

This Board is all about assumption! Look, all I'm saying is that the timing is very strange. It's one thing to make yourself unavailable for selection it's another to make a public declaration of retirement in the middle of a tournament. His intention might be honourable but is it really best for Scotland to absorb all the attention? He might have been better advised to support his team and coach through the next 4 matches and then retire.

Surely he's still going to be supporting his team and coach through the next 4 matches, just now he's made it impossible to select him, forced Robinson to select Weir or Laidlaw and (rightly or wrongly) made himself a scapegoat for his team mates?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:46 pm

And assuming a guy's a coward is rather different and far less tasteful than trying to predict what will happen in a game of rugby
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. - Page 2 Empty Dan Parks retires from international rugby

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:57 pm

No, I'm not kidding. Robinson has just had a major decision made for him:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16931078

"Scotland stand-off Dan Parks has announced his immediate retirement from international rugby.

Parks made 67 appearances for Scotland and scored 266 points, including 17 drop-goals, a Scottish record.

"I was thinking about it but the first game of the Six Nations was against England and being able to play was huge for me," said the 33-year-old.

"On reflection, after talking it over with family, I've come to the decision that now is the right time to retire."

His decision to step down comes three days after making the mistake that gave England a match-winning try at Murrayfield.

Early in the second half, a clearing kick on his own line was charged down by Charlie Hodgson for the only touchdown in England's 13-6 victory .

"Jacko (Ruaridh Jackson) was injured and being able to play against England was huge for me as there was a sense of unfinished business," Parks added in a statement released by Scottish Rugby.

"There are some really talented guys coming through - Jacko, Greig (Laidlaw) and Duncan (Weir) - and although I'm sad to be finishing my international career I have some fantastic memories of playing for Scotland and what that has meant to me.

"I've no regrets at what has been an amazing career for me. I've got my favourite moments for Scotland - uppermost being the 2007 Rugby World Cup."

Australian-born Parks will continue his club career with Cardiff Blues.

And Scotland scrum-half Mike Blair reckons his presence will be missed at international level.

"The reaction of all the guys when Parksy announced his retirement said it all - stunned silence and emotion," said Blair.

"Dan is a hugely popular and respected member of the squad and his contribution to some of Scotland's most famous victories cannot be underestimated."

Head coach Andy Robinson did not select Parks in his first squad in 2009 but the former Glasgow Warriors playmaker fought his way back to play starring roles in wins against Argentina and South Africa.

He picked up three man-of-the-match awards during the 2010 Six Nations but went to last year's World Cup behind Jackson in the pecking order as Robinson tried to foster a more expansive game plan.

Robinson added: "I have really enjoyed working with Dan. He wasn't in my first Scotland squads, but through his own determination, hard work, skill and competitive spirit he forced his way back into selection.

"It's never an easy decision to make, but I feel Dan has made the right decision and thank him for his contribution over the years."

Parks is the third long-serving Scot to retire following a disappointing World Cup campaign, after Nathan Hines and Chris Paterson.
"
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

It was only a matter of time, the upper half of his body retired years ago the lower half was sure to follow!!!

Who will Scotland blame now when they lose on Sunday?

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:01 pm

Apologies - this thread is running already and I didn't see it:
https://www.606v2.com/t23477-dan-parks-has-retired-from-international-rugby
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:02 pm

Well his upper body retired years ago it was only a matter of time until his lower half followed!

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:10 pm

Is this Good news for Scotland, but bad news for the rest of the 6ns.

I would of thought that he would have made a decision either before the 6ns started, or straight after the 6ns.

Now they will play Laidlaw or Weir.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:13 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Well his upper body retired years ago it was only a matter of time until his lower half followed!

My moneys on the Ref.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:15 pm

I'd say timing of this is not good .

On thing this may well do is to damage confidence further - the time to go is either at the end of the season , or before the season starts .

I think he should have stuck till the end of the season, and he may well have got a sub place if laidlaw or weir bombs Sad

So for me it's premature after 1 game .

I don't believe that he planned this a week ago , so it's a bit sad for him and unfortunate for the team

Good luck Dan

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by senghenydd1913 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:26 pm

listen now-I've actually met the guy and ,whilst I would agree that he is a limited footballer,does he deserve this vitriol?-we(WElsh) have had many,many scapegoats along the years-let the man go now with as much dignity as the situation will allow-rugbys not the b and end all.
senghenydd1913
senghenydd1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:46 pm

Well the problem for Scotland is they think Laidlaw and Wier or going to tear it up. laughing

Maybe Parks couldn't face Roberts and North running at him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 7:57 pm

I will say this just the once as my patience for dealing with petty bickering is at an all time low.

If you want to discuss rugby, then please do so. If that involves being less than complimentary about a players abilities then so be it.

If you wish to openly insult other posters, then find some other site to do it on, as any more on here WILL result in a ban.

There is no need to respond to this post.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next