The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

+68
SB
funnyExiledScot
damngoodOvalball
SecretFly
R!skysports
tigertattie
RubyGuby
bsando
thomh
slartibartfast
rumpelstiltskindoh
GLove39
Taffineastbourne
donkeyprop
Ozzy3213
senghenydd1913
alive555
majesticimperialman
George Carlin
flynnnio
HERSH
MacKnocked-on
mckay1402
justified sinner
Cari
Triangulation
KickAndChase
TJ1
TycroesOsprey
flankertye
flyhalffactory
Scot Abroad
miteyironpaw
wales606
Shifty
gnollbeast
Adam D
PenfroPete
Tattie Scones RRN
Submachine
Cymroglan
nickj
Mr Bounce
offload
maestegmafia
sensisball
Gibson
munkian
Hollbeck Ghyll
NeilyBroon
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
MunsterMac
Chjw131
BigTrevsbigmac
ChequeredJersey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
red_stag
mickyt
bluestonevedder
eirebilly
Knowsit17
21st Century Schizoid Man
Morgannwg
geoff998rugby
Effervescing Elephant
IanBru
Rugby_Girl
72 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. - Page 3 Empty Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

Post by Rugby_Girl Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.scotlandrugbyteam.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2846&Itemid=9

Dan Parks has announced his retirement from International rugby with immediate effect

Edit in to OP (by Adam D)

The Scotland fly-half Dan Parks has retired from international rugby with immediate effect, the Scottish Rugby Union have announced.

The 33-year-old made his 67th Six Nations loss to England and was culpable for the decisive try as Charlie Hodgson charged down his kick.

The Cardiff Blues playmaker, who made his debut in 2004, has now made way for the next generation, with the Edinburgh captain Greig Laidlaw expected to start for Scotland in Sunday's Six Nations fixture against Wales in Cardiff and the uncapped Glasgow Warriors fly-half Duncan Weir set for a place on the replacements' bench.

Parks had been contemplating retiring after the World Cup, when he was second choice behind Ruaridh Jackson, but the lure of the opening Six Nations clash with England was too strong. However, now he has now called time on his Test career, insisting the time is right.

He said: "I was thinking about it but the first game of the Six Nations was against England, the auld enemy, Jacko was injured and being able to play against England was huge for me as there was a sense of unfinished business.

"On reflection after the game, after talking it over with my family, girlfriend and close friends, I've come to the decision that now is the right time to retire from the international game.

"There are some really talented guys coming through – Jacko, Greig and Duncan – and although I'm sad to be finishing my international career I have some fantastic memories of playing for Scotland and what that has meant to me.

"I've no regrets at what has been an amazing career for me. I've got my favourite moments for Scotland – uppermost being the 2007 World Cup.

"Other memorable moments have been the two wins against England at home [in 2006 and 2008], the win against South Africa here at Murrayfield [in November 2010], the two wins in Argentina in 2010 and one in 2008 and the Ireland game in 2010 which was a great occasion."

The Scotland head coach, Andy Robinson, did not select Parks in his first squad as head coach in 2009, but the Australia-born playmaker proved his credentials and has steered Scotland to a number of successes since returning.

However, he fell down the pecking order as Robinson fostered a more expansive game plan and now his Test career is over following 266 points, including a Scottish record 17 drop-goals.

Parks is the third long-serving Scot to retire following the World Cup, after Nathan Hines and Chris Paterson.

Robinson said: "I have really enjoyed working with Dan. He wasn't in my first Scotland squads, but through his own determination, hard work, skill and competitive spirit he forced his way back into selection.

"It's never an easy decision to make, but I feel Dan has made the right decision and thank him for his contribution over the years."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/07/scotland-dan-parks-retires-international-rugby

Rugby_Girl

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. - Page 3 Empty Re: Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

Post by TJ1 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Is this Good news for Scotland, but bad news for the rest of the 6ns.

I would of thought that he would have made a decision either before the 6ns started, or straight after the 6ns.

Now they will play Laidlaw or Weir.

I'd put a small wager on Jackson and Goodgodman

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby. - Page 3 Empty Re: Dan Parks has RETIRED from International Rugby.

Post by donkeyprop Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:17 pm

John Beattie's blog is about as fair an assessment of this decision and Park's whole career as we're likely to see. Probably was time for him to go, but not happy with the manner of it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/johnbeattie/2012/02/only_so_many_kicks_a_man_can_t.html

donkeyprop

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:21 pm

He was a player of limited ability and as Scottish as I am.His family may miss the loss in earnings but that's about it.Better that the 10 shirt passes to a Scot.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:32 pm

Scotland won just 4 of the 22 6Ns matches that DP started

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeyprop Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:53 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Scotland won just 4 of the 22 6Ns matches that DP started

This is a very biased use of stats ASBO - we have won one 6N match each season since 2006-7. You can therefore apply a very similar stat to any player who started the majority of the 26 matches during this period.

Chunk, Ford, Kellock, Brown, Barclay, Morrison, Hines probably all have a similar record.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that Parks was the best player ever to pull on the shirt, but he is one of a squad that have not performed and to lay the blame for all of the failures on him is wrong. I don't regret his decision to retire but I can remember that there were games when he dug us out of the sh*t (Dublin 2010 anyone?) and given that his competition for most of his tenure was Phil Godman, I don't think he was always the worst option for the jersey.

donkeyprop

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:55 pm

donkeyprop wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Scotland won just 4 of the 22 6Ns matches that DP started

This is a very biased use of stats ASBO - we have won one 6N match each season since 2006-7. You can therefore apply a very similar stat to any player who started the majority of the 26 matches during this period.

Chunk, Ford, Kellock, Brown, Barclay, Morrison, Hines probably all have a similar record.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think that Parks was the best player ever to pull on the shirt, but he is one of a squad that have not performed and to lay the blame for all of the failures on him is wrong. I don't regret his decision to retire but I can remember that there were games when he dug us out of the sh*t (Dublin 2010 anyone?) and given that his competition for most of his tenure was Phil Godman, I don't think he was always the worst option for the jersey.
None of them are in the pivotal 10 position tho. But you're right, his only competition was WCP or Ross after Williams ruined any chance of Mossy as a 10

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 07 Feb 2012, 9:58 pm

ROBINSON MUST GO TOO Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:04 pm

And wtf is that giant bell end Robinson going to play at 10 now ? There will be some talentless tube somewhere he and 'Toonie' will have in mind to ignore Laidlaw and Weir.

Goodbye DD. You were not a good rugby player!

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm

The bit that makes no sense in the press release is the following quote from Robinson:

"It's never an easy decision to make, but I feel Dan has made the right decision and thank him for his contribution over the years."

How can he feel that DP has made the right decision when he was the starting 10 4 days ago? Makes no sense to me Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:44 pm

Rumour mill in over drive on a few forums and social networking sites three more players have walked out! loads of names been thrown around.

???????

Anyone else heard?

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Rumour mill in over drive on a few forums and social networking sites three more players have walked out! loads of names been thrown around.

???????

Anyone else heard?

Really?

Cusiter said on Twitter that it was the most emotional tuesday training he has been to.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:00 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Rumour mill in over drive on a few forums and social networking sites three more players have walked out! loads of names been thrown around.

???????

Anyone else heard?

Which sites are you getting this from?
I've heard nothing of the sort... Although if there was some truth to this it would make articles like this one in the Herald a few days ago all the more interesting http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/rugby/players-unsettled-by-andy-robinsons-team-changes-says-scotland-lock-jim-hamilton.16677689

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by rumpelstiltskindoh Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:The bit that makes no sense in the press release is the following quote from Robinson:

How can he feel that DP has made the right decision when he was the starting 10 4 days ago? Makes no sense to me Headscratch

Exactly right. It implies that at 7pm on Sunday, AR was thinking, "The best 10 in Scotland had a poor game today. We've got another game next Sunday, and 3 more to go. I guess it would be the best thing for the squad if he retires from international rugby immediately".

If he did, it'll hardly inspire confidence or loyalty in the rest of the squad. On the other hand, if he simply couldn't pursuade DP to stick with it, it suggests the team spirit is weak.

On the other hand, WTFDIK?

Last edited by rumpelstiltskindoh on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

rumpelstiltskindoh

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:18 pm

never like to see anyone leave on a downer

Good luck sir Parks.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:29 pm

So the scottish dressing room is a bit riven with discord from the sound of it. I dont know if that makes this match more dangerous or not.

If Andy Robinson has lost the dressing room and Wales run up a score he could be gone by next monday. When does Scott the Knife arrive in Edinburgh? just the prospect of him arriving and your coach is on the way.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:59 pm

No chat about these rumours on twitter that I can see. Some good banter and chat of an epic table tennis match between Laidlaw and Evans.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:09 am

Scot Abroad wrote:No chat about these rumours on twitter that I can see. Some good banter and chat of an epic table tennis match between Laidlaw and Evans.

So that's why they can't score tries.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:21 am

Given that they haven't won consecutive six nations games for 11 years it's not really fair to pin that on him.

That won't last long though. Scotland have some very talented players and if they get it right they could be up there next year. I'll be interested to see how good Laidlaw actually is.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:55 am

slartibartfast wrote:
Scot Abroad wrote:No chat about these rumours on twitter that I can see. Some good banter and chat of an epic table tennis match between Laidlaw and Evans.

So that's why they can't score tries.

Did you see all the knock-ons and dropped balls on Saturday? Hand-eye coordination training!

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:14 am

I think that Beattie Snr's guess was probably correct - being that Dan was planning to retire from international duty after the World Cup along with Hines but was persuaded back by Robinson when Jackson was injured.

The fascinating part that we will probably never know (unless Dan pens his memoirs) is whether Parks was terrified that after Saturday Robinson was (i) going to choose him again or (ii) not going to choose him again. I suspect the latter. If you weren't planning to play internationally again, then what's the point of making yourself available only to be rejected.

It's like the ugly best friend of the hot cheerleader at a teenage disco telling you that she doesn't fancy you. Or something. You weren't interested anyway.

Dan has been a tremendous servant to Scotland and to criticise him for essentially not having a higher level of ability doesn't really make sense. What was he supposed to do about that? He played to his strengths and never lied to anyone about his weaknesses. I think over time when we watch footage of his interception of Argentine ball leading to the final Scottish try in Buenos Aires and the final penalty at Croke Park, he will be remembered a little more kindly.

Incidentally, to those posters that think this will mean Scotland are less of a challenge on Sunday as a result of this are going to be proven completely wrong. If Laidlaw starts (and he's much more likely to than Weir who remains with Scotland A), particularly if he starts with Blair, then you're going to be given a hard time by a smart, confident footballer backed by a granite set of forwards who will want to "win one for Dan".

Game on. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:21 am

Scottish players walking out?

This is rugby FFS not football.

The only rumours flying about are the clueless ones being spouted on here.

A new era begins from Sunday and it's not going to be an instant overnight success. The main objective is to blood the new FH in and give him the vital experience needed to move Scotland forward.

Add Scott and Hogg into the mix and next year may be a different experience completely rather than the 'bottom two' one we consistently see.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:23 am

There were many other Scotland players that cost them the game on Saturday, plenty in fact who butchered opportunities, yet again however Parks remains the most convenient scapegoat. He doesn't need the hassle and lets hope he enjoys the rest of his rugby. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:23 am

Yeah i'll never forget that penalty kick at Croke Park. Denied Ireland the Triple Crown and saved us from the wooden spoon. It was such a good kick too. Leigh Halfpenny's game winning kick on the weekend was nothing compared to Parks kick. Parks had a cross wind to deal with and was kicking from a tight angle, to be honest I didn't expect him to get it. But it was such a sweet kick, he claimed it before it had even gone through the posts and the wind pushed it inwards, straight down the middle.

I was at the Scotland vs SA game and there were no bad comments about Parks that day, he won us that game and it is still the best game I've ever watched at Murrayfield and one of the best performances I think Scotland have ever produced.

Even a month or so ago I went to see Edinburgh play the Blues in Cardiff and he started off rusty but by the second half his penalties and drop goals had created a substantial gap and I remember thinking it might not be the sort of rugby everyone wants to see but he has just created a comfortable buffer, taking all the pressure off the Blues. I honestly feel without him the Blues would have had a far tighter game and may have even lost that one.

When on form I think he was arguably a world class performer, although maybe a bit weak in defense, but he deserves to be remembered as a valuable player for Scotland and shouldn't be remembered as a burden who prevented us from winning games.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:32 am

I feel for the guy

Not the best 10 ever, and yes he should not have been selected so many tiems for Scotland, but it was not his fault he was picked!

He had a stinker on Sat and it is a shame that it will be his last game!

A really odd time to retire but I think he got fed up of the stick to be honest!

Hopefully though Scotland can now move on, and I hope the rest of the team really do go all out on Sunday and "win one for Dan"

As far as I can tell, he was liked by the rest of the team, so hats off to him.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:38 am

I think we are looking at the wrong person falling on their Sword

I am sorry, but it was AR that selected an out of form, and wanting to retire fly half, when there were better form players. Everyone and their dog knew that was the wrong decision - expect the 'expert' AR

For him now to throw parks to the wolves is shocking - bad management skills and bad team selections

I feel sorry for Parks, as you could see he had passion for the Scotland shirt and did try did best - yes, he was not the best in the world, and yes many times I did not agree with his selection or the game plan - but that is sport

I am dismayed that he was booed - that is not on - frustration and disapointment is part of sport, taking it out on the player (unless they are lazy or do not try) is not on

Thank you for your good times and your bad times - as that is truely what being a Scotland fan is about

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:55 am

Some people need to show more respect to a seasoned international.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:37 am

A little respect for a retiring rugby player please. He made himself available (as any rugby player would) and someone kept picking him.

It's the someone who picked him that should be getting the sneers and derision....if many of you believe that's the mood that comes with the announcment!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:38 am

HERSH wrote:Some people need to show more respect to a seasoned international.

Salute you.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:53 am

Dan Parks wasnt a great but he did have some great moments playing for scotland. The victory over SA would probably be his best from my (neutral) perspective. Yes he has had his howlers, last weekend being a good example, and I can understand Scots fans frustration at his selection but surely he doesnt deserve this much blame? Scotlands rugby woes cant all be pinned on Dan Parks.
That being said, as an England fan I'll miss him in next years Calcutta cuo game....

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:02 pm

He should have retired after the World Cup. That would have been the right time to go.

I have much respect for Parks. He played for Scotland during a time when we had very few options, and throughout much of that time he was the best 10 available. He also steered us to some memorable victories, and a couple of seasons back he put in a great run of form during the 6 Nations. He was outstanding during THAT game at the Millenium.

However, since last season he has not been the best option for Scotland, and his limited style of play has not been the best platform to utlilise the talents available in Scottish rugby. He's often wrongly been the fall guy, but also often rightly.

I'm pleased he's gone, he doesn't offer the international side enough anymore, and there are now better options. But my memories of Parks will not be all bad at all. He's a better player than Gordon Ross and Phil Godman, and without any club rugby at 10, CP was never an option. We should also remember his sterling contribution to Glasgow Warriors, who owe him a huge amount for the way he kept the scoreboard ticking over for them season after season.

Thanks for the tremendous effort Mr Parks, but it's the right time to hang up those boots. Scottish rugby needs to move on.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SB Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:09 pm

I can't believe some of the disrespect being shown to Dan Parkes. He is an average stand-off, yes, but was capable of doing some really good things and saved Scotland's skin on more than one occasion.

My point is this: with Scotland's professional player resources so thin, can they afford to allow Dan Parkes to retire?

Then again, it reminds me of the wa Stephen Donald was treated after that game against Australia. However, he had the chance to have the last laugh in the World Cup final...
SB
SB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

We can afford to allow him to retire now - Jackson, Weir and Laidlaw deserve a shot, and they all have more strings to their bow than Parks.

A couple of years back we needed him though.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:16 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:He should have retired after the World Cup. That would have been the right time to go.

He said the same himself. However when told he would get the starting shirt ( due to injuries ) he wasnt goign to turn it down. You have to feel some sy,mpathy for the guy to go out on a bad performance like that, as you say the good tikmes he had have already been forgotten and only exagerated by his Ciprianiesque game on Saturday.
Hes a convienant scapegoat for widespread failings in Scottish rugby, or perhaps the blind over confidenc eof many fans that Scotland could and should be producing world class palyers and sides.
I would have expected him to be named on the bench for the next game, instead hes made a decision to put a bullet in his own mouth and die no doubt full of regret that he gave it another shot.
It is time to move on for Scotland, and Scotish fans to move on from the idea that Dan Parks is the one reason why the Scotland team is moribund.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:17 pm

Phil Vickery has also retired, apparently

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:21 pm

It's all well and good him retiring, but we weren't expecting/wanting him back at the Blues until the end of March.

Scotland should do the right thing and offer him the chance to stay in the camp and lend his experience to the youngsters. It's the least they can do Whistle

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:23 pm

gcBlues wrote:It's all well and good him retiring, but we weren't expecting/wanting him back at the Blues until the end of March.

Scotland should do the right thing and offer him the chance to stay in the camp and lend his experience to the youngsters. It's the least they can do Whistle

You could try and get Vickery out of his coaching job and convert him to a starting 10, at least you wouldnt have to worry about him trying to kick everything

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 08 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

PSW - there certainly is a sense of "careful what you wish for".

I remember a band of misguided supporters thinking that Phil Godman was a better 10 than Dan Parks a few years back. When Godman was given a chance it became clear that Parks was frankly just a better option at international level, despite his limitations.

But we are in different times now. We have genuinely good options at 10 that we didn't have before. Laidlaw should have started the England game based on his Edinburgh form in the Heineken Cup. If you can control games in the HC then you deserve a shot. We now need to give him time - hopefully the next four games at least, to show us what he can do, also introducing Duncan Weir from the bench.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 6:56 pm

On my goodness! Just back ashore and had no idea Dan has retired.

Did he jump or was he pushed?

He has been an enigma, sublime and gash in equal measure. Like or loathe Scottish rugby has changed with this decision.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:03 pm

I'm of the opinion that he was pushed on evidence that:
1) He was out of form and got picked by Robinson
2) Our experienced flyhalves were injured (Jackson) or crap (Godman)
3) His report of the events, that he was persuaded to come and play against England
4) Robinson's words after his retirement, scapegoat much?

I'm pretty sure whether you liked or loathed him as a player (I personally got extremely frustrated a lot of the time), none of us would have wanted him to have retired in this way and I for one feel guilty for being so openly critical of a player who had good and bad days like everybody. Time for Robinson to do the honorable thing and step down with him so Scottish rugby can progress from this horrid situation.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:55 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:On my goodness! Just back ashore and had no idea Dan has retired.

Did he jump or was he pushed?

Just back ashore? Then you must have seen him floating by with the knife in his back acting as a sail?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:50 pm

Just because Dan has retired, Im not going to suddenly change my tune. Parks frustrated me throughout his career. While on no occasion was he solely responsible for losses, he was too often a part of it. He held back the potential playing outside him for too many years, and therefore never got scotland playing at their potential.

He did win us games, ill give him that. Ireland, South Africa, Argentina, England all fell to his boot, but it was limited, ground out stuff that rarely worked two games in a row. At his peak, he could control a game brilliantly, but at international level, you MUST have a wider skill set than he had. Godman gets so much stick for having a poor kicking game, and rightly so is not international quality because of it. The same applied to Parks but for his attacking game, which was not good enough.

His strength of character is inspiring, and few players seem as loved by their team-mates as Dan, but that doesnt change my opinion of his Rugby career.

I wish him health, happiness and success at whatever he does, but I will not miss him playing for Scotland.

I do however sympathise with the way this has been handled. If Robinson felt that it was the right time to retire, then he shouldnt of picked him, if he didnt, then he shouldve convinced him to at least stay in the trainign squad ti ll the end of the tournament.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:52 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:Just because Dan has retired, Im not going to suddenly change my tune. Parks frustrated me throughout his career. While on no occasion was he solely responsible for losses, he was too often a part of it. He held back the potential playing outside him for too many years, and therefore never got scotland playing at their potential.

He did win us games, ill give him that. Ireland, South Africa, Argentina, England all fell to his boot, but it was limited, ground out stuff that rarely worked two games in a row. At his peak, he could control a game brilliantly, but at international level, you MUST have a wider skill set than he had. Godman gets so much stick for having a poor kicking game, and rightly so is not international quality because of it. The same applied to Parks but for his attacking game, which was not good enough.

His strength of character is inspiring, and few players seem as loved by their team-mates as Dan, but that doesnt change my opinion of his Rugby career.

I wish him health, happiness and success at whatever he does, but I will not miss him playing for Scotland.

I do however sympathise with the way this has been handled. If Robinson felt that it was the right time to retire, then he shouldnt of picked him, if he didnt, then he shouldve convinced him to at least stay in the trainign squad ti ll the end of the tournament.
+1

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3