The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales urged to pick Hook at 10

+8
Cymroglan
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
gowales
Gatts
Glas a du
Ozzy3213
Adam D
12 posters

Go down

Wales urged to pick Hook at 10 Empty Wales urged to pick Hook at 10

Post by Adam D Sat 29 Jan 2011, 10:48 am

Ex-Wales centre John Devereux believes Wales coach Warren Gatland should opt for James Hook at outside-half in the Six Nations opener against England.

This would mean that Stephen Jones would miss out, despite having been fantastic in that position in recent games.

JD ""The big crux for Gatland is where he is going to fit Hook in. A lot of people are actually saying he should play at 10 and see how he goes. Can Gatland base the Six Nations on that? He hasn't got much to lose by doing that"

Does anyone agree with John's thought process?

For me, I think that this is a big mistake, as during the Autumn series, Wales looked better whenever S Jones was on the field.

Thoughts?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Wales urged to pick Hook at 10 Empty Re: Wales urged to pick Hook at 10

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 29 Jan 2011, 10:51 am

Problem for me with playing Hook at 10, is he has had very little gametime there for his club, and I am not a great advocate of playing people in internationals in positions they rarely feature in for their clubs.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 03 Dec 2011, 7:08 am

Are we still on about 'fitting Hook in' or has his sojourn in the South of France finally made us realise he lacks rugby brain? In Dave Parade Perpignan moved him to outside centre where he could cause less damage!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 03 Dec 2011, 7:23 am

I have a suggestion for Hook but i can't print it here

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 03 Dec 2011, 7:36 am

Oh go on. The swear filter will make it funnier.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 03 Dec 2011, 8:51 am

He should definitely be in the squad no doubt. Unless Priestland gets injured i'd prefer to see him at 12/13 or on the bench. Stephen Jones is past it now, he could do a job but i'd prefer to see Hook, Biggar or Tovey before him.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 03 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

He shouldn't be 'fitting' Hook in anywhere, we have proved that option failed by moving him all around just to have him in side.

If he is good enough to start at 10 then fine but lets not just get him in the team
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 03 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

I disagree he's looked very dangerous at 13 outside Roberts. But he shouldn't ever be considered at fullback again it just isn't fair on him.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 04 Dec 2011, 5:59 pm

I don't think Hook should play 10 because Priestland is playing well for Wales.

I think Hook should be back up.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 04 Dec 2011, 6:05 pm

Select whoever is on form at the time I don't care if it's Hook Jones Priestland or another player who has put their hand up.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 04 Dec 2011, 7:39 pm

Perpignan have lost the last 6 games with Hook at 10. That fact and his recent form at 10 for Wales should hopefully settle the issue.

Being the best broken field runner does not make a player a good 10, or even a good team player.

Currently for Wales; Preistland has the jersey followed by Jones, Biggar and Tovey. When and if Henson secures a place in the Blues side and if he plays well he may come into the frame........but don't hold your breath!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 04 Dec 2011, 7:43 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Perpignan have lost the last 6 games with Hook at 10. That fact and his recent form at 10 for Wales should hopefully settle the issue.

Being the best broken field runner does not make a player a good 10, or even a good team player.

Currently for Wales; Preistland has the jersey followed by Jones, Biggar and Tovey. When and if Henson secures a place in the Blues side and if he plays well he may come into the frame........but don't hold your breath!

No you cant base it on that. Perpignan were already on a losing streak before Hook got there and actually on his debut he had a great game. Priestland is first choice followed by Biggar/Hook, then Jones, then Tovey.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 04 Dec 2011, 8:22 pm

gowales wrote:I disagree he's looked very dangerous at 13 outside Roberts. But he shouldn't ever be considered at fullback again it just isn't fair on him.

Are you serious?.............. when has he ever made Roberts job easy?, I would say the Doc has never looked comfortable or confident when Hooky has partnered him in the centre

Roberts over the last four seasons has looked great with Scott Williams (Wales), John Davies (Wales), Shanklin, (Wales/Blues) Lualala (Blues), BOD (Lions), (Fourie (Baa Baas)................ the only time he has been in poor form during that period was when he played in tandem with Hook

Hook has played enough times at FB for the Ospreys and Wales in the past to have done a good job last season in the WC and warm-ups, and as many posters state he is naturally talented enough to play there ............ or is that over-hype as well

He has been given a clear chance by Perpignan to play in his "preferred" position, and whilst I agree he was MOM on his debut since then he has been less than average, not once getting a multi-talented back-line moving and thus he has often been moved inside centre or hauled off entirely

I would like to know when you think he has looked "consistently" dangerous for Wales when partnering Roberts

By the way Deveraux like JPR are sensationalists especially when they havent had much press publicity............. their pet subject is "Play Hook Somewhere Anywhere"

I would say that after the NGD v Perpignan, where he was a distant second to Tovey,,,,,,,,,,,,, he is way back in the rankings

1. Priestland
2. Biggar
3. Stephen Jones
4. Steffan Jones / Tovey
5. Matthew Morgan
6. Shingler / Henson (Potential if he performs)/ Hook
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 04 Dec 2011, 10:15 pm

I think that apart from Priestland being 3-4 places too high, that's about right.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 05 Dec 2011, 6:15 am

Good lord. Are Welsh fans of the opinion Priestland didn't have a good World Cup? WTF?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 05 Dec 2011, 7:52 am

No, he massively over achieved there, well done, but the flaky Priestland will re emerge. Also watch on Saturday how much pressure he put his centres under when Halfpenny was off the field, shipping poor ball and not kicking well out of hand. Biggar would have been better in that situation. Those errors cost us a try at least and ultimately the match.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:13 am

flyhalffactory wrote:
gowales wrote:I disagree he's looked very dangerous at 13 outside Roberts. But he shouldn't ever be considered at fullback again it just isn't fair on him.

Are you serious?.............. when has he ever made Roberts job easy?, I would say the Doc has never looked comfortable or confident when Hooky has partnered him in the centre

Roberts over the last four seasons has looked great with Scott Williams (Wales), John Davies (Wales), Shanklin, (Wales/Blues) Lualala (Blues), BOD (Lions), (Fourie (Baa Baas)................ the only time he has been in poor form during that period was when he played in tandem with Hook

Hook has played enough times at FB for the Ospreys and Wales in the past to have done a good job last season in the WC and warm-ups, and as many posters state he is naturally talented enough to play there ............ or is that over-hype as well

He has been given a clear chance by Perpignan to play in his "preferred" position, and whilst I agree he was MOM on his debut since then he has been less than average, not once getting a multi-talented back-line moving and thus he has often been moved inside centre or hauled off entirely

I would like to know when you think he has looked "consistently" dangerous for Wales when partnering Roberts

By the way Deveraux like JPR are sensationalists especially when they havent had much press publicity............. their pet subject is "Play Hook Somewhere Anywhere"

I would say that after the NGD v Perpignan, where he was a distant second to Tovey,,,,,,,,,,,,, he is way back in the rankings

1. Priestland
2. Biggar
3. Stephen Jones
4. Steffan Jones / Tovey
5. Matthew Morgan

Looks like you've really got something against Hook mate.
Lets recap shall we. Their first game together was in the 2009 6 nations and Hook had some good games.
Roberts was not playing well that year regardless of who he was partnering, mainly because of his injury or do you not remember that.
Has Roberts looked good with Scott Williams? they've only started 2 matches together and against Australia in particular it didn't work well.
JD has yet to impress me, hes had the whole of the last six nations and this world cup and he only looked good during the Ireland game.
With Shanklin they were one dimensional i cant see how you can say they worked well together.

Hook's played enough times for the Ospreys at fullback? i dont think hes played more than 2 and thats from injury to other players. He was selected there for Wales in 2008 for the firs time because Stoddart was crap and Roberts was moved to centre for the first time.

Perpignan was on a losing streak before Hook got there him arriving there isn't somehow going to change there fortunes all of a sudden. They have problems, they've just recently fired there coach and the players just dont seem up to it. From what ive seen Hook is trying but the players around him aren't.

Whether you like it or not he is probably our most talented players and with Shane now gone we wont have any x factor players that can create something from nothing.

Fair enough about your ranking list thats your opinion. I cant see how Matthew Morgan can be so high up that list when all hes done so far for the Ospreys is kick a winning goal. Against Munster he wasn't great, we missed Biggar.
Shingler hasn't even playing at 10 hes been a 12/13 playing pretty well mind you but no way is he above Hook.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:53 am

:sigh:

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:25 pm

Sorry GoWales - Hooks played at FB more than Stoddart (or Halfpenny) has for Wales - he's had numerous chances there and has looked distincly average there and proved a liability on more than 1 occassion. He shows that he doesn't have the skillset to play at FB.

While at centre I thought he looked pretty good with Roberts to start off with (in 2009 I think it was), but pretty soon started crabbing across the pitch and taking up the other backs room. He's also run down blind alleys, slowing the play down and occassionally loosing the ball.

I love the way everyone says "LIKE IT OR NOT HE'S ONE OF OUR BEST PLAYERS" as if just because he's flashy that automatically means he's the best player - he's not our best (or 2nd) best Flyhalf (Priestland, then 1 of Biggar, Jones or Tovey is), he's not the best centre (one of Roberts, JD2, S Williams is depending on position) and is most def not anywhere near our best FB (Halpenny, Stoddart, Priestland, Tovey, Byrne). So how can he be our best player - particularly as the team doesn't really miss him when he's not in the team, but 40/50% of the time he is in the side he costs us tries. But if we loose A Jones, G Jenkins, Lydiate, Warbs, Roberts, or S Williams then our team looks a huge amount weaker.

Saying that I do hope he improves at Perpignan and complements his natural skills with the more rounded skills to play OH/Centre. He could then be a fearsome weapon

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Sorry GoWales - Hooks played at FB more than Stoddart (or Halfpenny) has for Wales - he's had numerous chances there and has looked distincly average there and proved a liability on more than 1 occassion. He shows that he doesn't have the skillset to play at FB.

While at centre I thought he looked pretty good with Roberts to start off with (in 2009 I think it was), but pretty soon started crabbing across the pitch and taking up the other backs room. He's also run down blind alleys, slowing the play down and occassionally loosing the ball.

I love the way everyone says "LIKE IT OR NOT HE'S ONE OF OUR BEST PLAYERS" as if just because he's flashy that automatically means he's the best player - he's not our best (or 2nd) best Flyhalf (Priestland, then 1 of Biggar, Jones or Tovey is), he's not the best centre (one of Roberts, JD2, S Williams is depending on position) and is most def not anywhere near our best FB (Halpenny, Stoddart, Priestland, Tovey, Byrne). So how can he be our best player - particularly as the team doesn't really miss him when he's not in the team, but 40/50% of the time he is in the side he costs us tries. But if we loose A Jones, G Jenkins, Lydiate, Warbs, Roberts, or S Williams then our team looks a huge amount weaker.

Saying that I do hope he improves at Perpignan and complements his natural skills with the more rounded skills to play OH/Centre. He could then be a fearsome weapon

Well I did say I hope he never gets picked at fullback because that isn't his position. Gatland picked him there because he wanted to fit him on the pitch and there was no alternatives. It's not like he had a choice is it. I never agreed with this and would have preferred him on the bench for impact.

I said hes one of our most talented attacking players and he is, most people think so except for you. Without Shane we dont have many flair players. I never said he was one of our best players there is a difference. Did Stephen Jones play well in the world cup? no he probably played as badly as Hook did and now hes in a settled Scarlets side so hes been able to get back into form quicker. Again I dont consider him a fullback, hes an OH or centre.
Priestland is obviously starting if hes fit but i think he should be on the bench or possibly at 13 if Gatland thinks he performs in training.

He seems to be becoming one of the players that is cool to dislike by fans like Ryan Jones 2008, Henson 2009-onwards, Stephen Jones 2010, Shane Williams 2009.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 05 Dec 2011, 1:45 pm

Im not even a massive of Hook but i get annoyed by people who just write off players. And when they get back on form people seem to easily forget about the crap they said about them

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Dec 2011, 4:33 pm

I replied to this earlier with a massive email and there was an error on the website so I lost it all typically - I can't really be bothered to type it out again. But I will say I have not just suddenly jumped on the band wagon with Hook - I've said since 2009 that he needs to improve the weaknesses of his game to become a more rounded player and that he needs to play week in week out in 1 position and should only be considered in that position (except in definate emergencies - which the times he played at FB do not count as they were perfect opportunities to develop strength in depth in that position).

I just get annoyed at people saying he has to be in the team no matter where - when on form he isn't anywhere near the best in any of those positions currently - and has proven that he brings more negatives to the team than positives.
But once his form and skills base improves - as I'm hoping it does in France, then he could be a very formidable player

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 05 Dec 2011, 5:02 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I replied to this earlier with a massive email and there was an error on the website so I lost it all typically - I can't really be bothered to type it out again. But I will say I have not just suddenly jumped on the band wagon with Hook - I've said since 2009 that he needs to improve the weaknesses of his game to become a more rounded player and that he needs to play week in week out in 1 position and should only be considered in that position (except in definate emergencies - which the times he played at FB do not count as they were perfect opportunities to develop strength in depth in that position).

I just get annoyed at people saying he has to be in the team no matter where - when on form he isn't anywhere near the best in any of those positions currently - and has proven that he brings more negatives to the team than positives.
But once his form and skills base improves - as I'm hoping it does in France, then he could be a very formidable player

Fair enough. I'll believe that you've been saying that about Hook for a while but there are a lot of people who have recently jumped on the band wagon. I disagree that the times we have played him at fullback have been opportunities to develop strength in depth, he has only ever been put there as a stop gap measure by Gatland because of injury. On current form i agree he shouldn't be in the starting lineup but we all know that Gatland doesn't only consider form (Scott Williams/LLoyd Williams call up) but also how they fit in the team and perform in training. Stephen Jones didn't play well in the world cup and doesn't bring a lot positives bar his distribution and defence, why dont you criticise him?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:30 pm

gowales wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

1. Priestland
2. Biggar
3. Stephen Jones
4. Steffan Jones / Tovey
5. Matthew Morgan

Looks like you've really got something against Hook mate.
Lets recap shall we. Their first game together was in the 2009 6 nations and Hook had some good games.
Roberts was not playing well that year regardless of who he was partnering, mainly because of his injury or do you not remember that.
Has Roberts looked good with Scott Williams? they've only started 2 matches together and against Australia in particular it didn't work well.
JD has yet to impress me, hes had the whole of the last six nations and this world cup and he only looked good during the Ireland game.
With Shanklin they were one dimensional i cant see how you can say they worked well together.

Hook's played enough times for the Ospreys at fullback? i dont think hes played more than 2 and thats from injury to other players. He was selected there for Wales in 2008 for the firs time because Stoddart was crap and Roberts was moved to centre for the first time.

Perpignan was on a losing streak before Hook got there him arriving there isn't somehow going to change there fortunes all of a sudden. They have problems, they've just recently fired there coach and the players just dont seem up to it. From what ive seen Hook is trying but the players around him aren't.

Whether you like it or not he is probably our most talented players and with Shane now gone we wont have any x factor players that can create something from nothing.

Fair enough about your ranking list thats your opinion. I cant see how Matthew Morgan can be so high up that list when all hes done so far for the Ospreys is kick a winning goal. Against Munster he wasn't great, we missed Biggar.
Shingler hasn't even playing at 10 hes been a 12/13 playing pretty well mind you but no way is he above Hook.

OHHHH You really are serious OMG!!!............ and I thought it was April Fools day

I have nothing against Hook, what I have a problem with is posters who spout one liners with no evidence

Most Talented...... Oh Come On!!!.............. at what is he most talented ......pray tell the forum
Decision-making, Defence, Positioning, Tackling, Straightening the defensive line or even the offensive line, Consistent Kicking, creating try opportunites . OHHH AHHHH I see what you mean by "talented" is an instinctive (AKA headless chicken) headlining runner who more often than not runs into blind alleys gets turned over and gives away the penalty, rather than creating opportunities as a result of those runs

Hook is not your best player at 15, 13, 12 or 10..... in fact he wouldn't be in the top 4 in any of those positions on current form

The X Factor was shown in the WC (when Hook wasn't playing)
FB - 1/2p
Wing - North
Centres - Roberts & Davies
Halfback - Priestland
even Phillips played well knowing that he had an aware 10 outside of him

By the way Shanklin might not have been your "hee haa "offside ref", get the pints in boys, pink cowboy hat" type of player but the people who have watched rugby have realised that he was the pivotal player in midfield that won you the 05 and 08 slams, he was one of the first players to be picked for the Lions tour........ Roberts come to the attention of the rugby world when he played alongside Shanks - he went downhill when Hook was moved to outside centre

JD had a great game on the 09 summer tour of NZ when the Biggar/Davies/Roberts combo then the Jones/Davies/Roberts that created a great Roberts try, he since has had some very good games for Wales in a defensive supporting role for Roberts, funny how suddenly Roberts is a good player again

If you want to spout 09/10 season we can go through the Welsh games you will realise that apart from a few headline opportunities Hook was less than average.............. CONSISTENCY is the key

Finally I am amazed that you have actually stated that Hook has only played about two games at FB for the Ospreys .......... flabbergasted, he has had more games at FB than 1/2p, Stoddart, or many more, if he is as talented as you state - then he should be able to play anyway along the back line with the exception of both wings

I would suggest you watch the games live down at your local ground or even at the Liberty, and keep off the sauce......... you might then remember key events

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:54 am; edited 4 times in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 05 Dec 2011, 9:33 pm

angel
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content